“Viva Wyndham Tangerine, Cabarete...Great!”

Viva Wyndham Tangerine
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Cabarete
Winnipeg, Canada
“Viva Wyndham Tangerine, Cabarete...Great!”
Reviewed April 6, 2006

Hi, Just got back a month ago from Cabarete, loved it !
In late feb/beginning of March I stayed at the Viva Wyndham Tangerine. I have stayed at several all inclusive resorts in the past including Boca Chica DR, Veradero Cuba, and Cancun Mexico. I found the Tangerine to be on par or better than most I have stayed at. Food was decent, very similar to other resorts I have stayed at. The a la Carte restaurants (Mexican and Italian) were both very very good. The staff was awesome, better than any other place I had been. No one expected you to give them a tip to get decent service (unlike Cuba), and they were all smiles and fun. The only problems with the resort were that the beach bathrooms were kinda yucky. It had rained a couple of days/nights when we were there and because the washrooms are located in the basement the floor was frequently flooded. Also the water made the disco which was also located in the basement smell really bad. But the disco was decent if you were stuck at the hotel when it was raining. The 24hour food bar wasn't that great, unless you like cold corn pizza, but hey at 3:00am dont we all like cold corn pizza??? :)...
The building you want to be in is building three (deluxe ocean view). It cost us an extra $100 for the week but so very worth it. This building is the one that houses the main restaurant, the disco, the bar, all the tour rep info, the store, the 2 gift shops etc. It was closest to the beach. The rooms were clean, no weird smells like I had read on other reviews. The rooms are nice , bathrooms large but no counter space. We brought one of those cosmetic bags on a hanger things to put our toiletries in and it was perfect.
The beach bars in Cabarete are the place to be when the weather accomodates. They play good music and there are alot of people there to meet from all over Europe, Canada and some from USA. I am 32, single and still love to go out and have a good time so this place was perfect for me. I have found in the past that there was a lack of night life in Cuba, and the clubs were "too young" for me in Mexico. I would say Cabarete has something for everyone of any age. We walked to the beach bars at night safely but there was a group of 4 of us. I had heard that you shouldn't walk the beach at night as with most places (especially if you have been drinking, you might get robbed), but we didnt have any trouble. It's probably best to be cautious and take a cab, it only costs a couple of dollars.
The restaurants we tried off the resort were great, we loved Jose O'Sheas, and Onos, and this great little Sangria place off the beach. In fact the food was so good (and easily available) off the resort that I would probably not stay all inclusive in Cabarete again (No disrespect to the Tangerine). Some dont like the hassle of having to cook/dine out/pay for drinks while on vacation, but this town had so much character that I loved being able to experience it.
I wanted to try the kiting very badly but the weather did not cooperate. Most places suggest/insist that you take a 2-3 day (3-4 hours per day) kite course so that they can teach you safety and technique before you hit the waves. The cost was about $200-300 US. It sounds like a lot of money but I would have paid it because I was that interested. Once you see the "pros" out in the ocean you realize that you cannot just go out without instruction. Like I said we had a few days of rain, other days no wind so in the short week I was there I didnt have time to get the classes in. But if you are going for more than a week, you will have time. The staff at Laurel Eastman Kiteboarding were very good about answering questions and trying to find times that were accomodating to teach.
A friend of mine just returned yesterday (April 5) from Cabarete, she was there for a week at the Tangerine as well. She liked the hotel, she was also in building three. She said it was overcast every day, and rained a couple of days as well. I think this is unusual..I usually travel in mid march every year and usually it is late enough to avoid the rainy season, but keep in mind how weird the weather has been in the Caribbean this year with all the hurricanes etc. Maybe they are experiencing more precipiation than normal.
Anyway hope that helps you all with your travels. I would definately go back to Cabarete and the Viva Tangerine.

15 Thank Sol_sister

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Abbotsford BC
Reviewed March 31, 2006

I stayed at the Viva Wyndham Tangerine March 23 to March 30. My husband and I travelled with friends down there. The hotel complex is lovely, flowers all around. The staff was always pleasant, you never passed by one without a 'olla' being offered. Our maid blessed our room with two towel creatures on our bed, and always left the room clean and shiny. Only complaint was that they must be low on facecloths, had facecloths the first day, used them, never saw a facecloth again.
The buffet food was plentiful and ever changing. If you were bored with the buffet food - it was your inability to choose variety - not their inability to provide variety. Every day there was something different to sample at each meal. My husband took pleasure at the roasted rabbit, stewed goat and the stewed snail and octopus. I can't say I tried the snail. Each meal is offered for about three hours so by the end of the three hours there was luke warm, not so appetizing food, so earlier is better, or make a point of having the individually prepared omelets or pastas. The restaurants had great ambience, lovely servers, but most of the food offered was also offered at the buffet. I had the cerviche at the mexican restaurant and I have to say I found it repulsive - mostly because of the use of ketchup, but each to their own.
The animation team, also provided the recreation. Bocce ball, volleyball, water polo, dance lessons, water and land aerobics, and more. They were very busy people - seemingly working 24 hour days for atleast 6 days a week, and always with a smile on their face. The shows with dancing and music were enjoyable to watch, great dancing, good choices in music, they wanted us to have fun. It was all lip syncing and if I rated the lip syncing alone out of 10 they would get a 3 as a group. The dancing and production 6 or 7. Ricky was the star and if he wasn't there it wasn't great, barely adequate in fact.
The guys were decidedly hot!
The pool was nice. Only open until 6:00. WHY? It is our main complaint, we thought close the pool, get rid of the kids and reopen at 8:00 till 11:00. Chairs with and without shade a plenty, cloth chairs not plastic slats.
The beach was lovely, great sand, lots of chairs, plenty of toys available. Boogie boarding was a blast.
I would highly recommend buying all your souveniers at a shop upstairs in Cabarete, just a lovely walk away on the beach. The beach vendors bug you all the time but a simple no and they are gone. The store vendors without prices are annoying and will get more than they deserve no matter how good you think you are at bartering. There is one souvenier shop that has prices and items that the greedy beach vendors asked 10 american dollars for were priced at equal to $1.50!!
Find it, you won't be disappointed.
If I was to go to the Dominican again, I would definately go to this resort and this area.

• Stayed March 2006
8 Thank karenintherain
Wingham, Canada
Reviewed March 28, 2006

Ontario

My friend and I(40ishy) and our two 18 year old daughters visited VIVA February 5, 2006 and then had such a good time we went back 3 weeks later March 6th. I have visited alot of places in the carribean and the US and have never met such friendly staff. Franklin, Luigi, Robert, Jordan, Calvin and Antonio became our very good friends. We hungout all the time with them down at the Bamboo in Cabarete and The X Club and Club 59 in Sousa. You couldn't meet nicer people. They almost freeked when we came back in 3 weeks. For all the people who never went off the resort did they miss out. I have never been anywhere I felt so safe other than at home. We travelled the beach every night, sometimes not until 5am. If you are looking for a party go over to the ESSO at night it is really a happening spot. They also have very cheap Presidente beer and smokes. We would go over grab a quart and walk down to Cabarete. The vendors really do give you a better deal if you use pesos, it sure seems when you change it over to US you pay more. You can take Canadian $ and change it down there. Liquidation is definately the best deals across from O'Shays, when you catch them open. Everyone complains about the beach vendors, even they remembered us when we went back. We got so many hugs and kisses from them. If you want braids you have to go to Sonya, Cigars - Tony, Mr. Fantastic for tours, David for jewellery. You do barter but that's the fun of it all and once they know you are on to them you get a decent deal. Just mention Liquidation and the price really drops. They have to make a living too! We never did make reservations to the 2 other restaurants we just ate at the buffet all the time. It was fine. I'm not quite sure how it would be for families here, we went to party and it was perfect for that.

4 Thank cindylb
Yakima, Washington
Reviewed March 27, 2006

We had a wonderfun 8 nights and would recommend choosing this hotel.
Check-in/out---the best i have had anywhere. Greeted by name, handed a cocktail, taken to our room, 2 dinner reservations made by guest services, bellman called us near checkout. Maybe joing Wyndham by Request makes a difference?

Roooms--small and not very lavish. Very clean. Had comfortable, firm queen beds, stocked refridge and all items promised in working order. Don't come here for the rooms.

Hotel-- Beautiful gardens, 1 lit tennis court, game room, internet cafe, great pool with never a shortage of lounge chairs, spa, gift shop, beach activities center with sailboards, kayaks, hobies, and boogie boards(great waves on the beach) Great location a 10 min walk from cabarete center.

Staff-- The best. Service was excellent everwhere. Entertainment staff had a lot of activites going on, dance, language lessons, volleyball, bocce ball, bingo, games etc. Shows at night were amazingly grand for the size of the hotel. Mostly dancing, and they can really dance!

Food--Buffet was fine. 2/3 the same everyday and 1/3 a new theme each day. The alacarte resturants were EXCELLENT. We alternated between the two everynight. Order steak at the mexican and pork at the Italian, they were our favorites. Never had trouble with reservations. No one was ever sick in our family or around us. Best we have had at an all-inclusive. Bar was allways open and quick. Wine was decent!

In conclusion it was a great time for the money. It earned it's 4 * rating well. Would go again. It's a VERY FUN place.

• Stayed March 2006
14 Thank carolynschut
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Reviewed March 1, 2006

Viva Wyndham Tangerine, Cabarete, Dominican Republic, Feb 11th – 18th 2006! A little bit of a background, because this review may be biased. Last yr, 3 of us headed to the Mayan Riviera and had a blast (was our first trip). This year, we recruited 8 others to come along, so 11 of us were heading down to DR, ready to party hardy! (Ages 20-25) We did LOTS and lots of research on resorts before we chose VWT. Laura and I were designated vacation planners and knew what we were looking for in resorts. After looking at lots and lots of different resorts we decided that VWT was the one! Definitely a good choice we made..details to follow.

Before the trip even started, it was becoming a trip from hell! We booked this vacation in July to avoid any problems..clearly this did not work out in our favour. With less than a week to go, our tickets had NOT been printed and miss communication between Signature Vacation and our travel agent (Jet Vacations, nothing but problems with them, no customer service what so ever) We were told our tickets would be airport pick up, which we didn’t want, but nonetheless could do nothing about it. Friday nite, I get a call from our Travel agent and our tickets are at the agency! 12 hours before we are leaving! Luckily, one of the moms was able to go down and pick them up, myself and Laura (the group leaders) had plans to go out already. All of this, and to have 2 tickets have names spelt wrong

Saturday morning..the day we have been waiting for since July! We all met at the airport 3 hours before, and Ashley and myself had to get new tickets, as our names were spelt wrong!! The signature rep was going to charge us each $50 CDN for a name change. Boy was I furious. Low and behold, because it was not ‘our’ fault, the fee was waived.

Our flight left at 9 30am, CST and had a great flight. A little turbulence here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary for a flight. The flight was 5 hours long. We were all running off a few hours of sleep, and we’re all anxious to arrive in Puerto Plata airport and get to our resort. Arrived at 4 30pm, and was welcomed with gorgeous sunny warm weatherJ we were unsure how the airport would be, as we only have Cancun airport to compare to. We were stunned with how fast immigration, finding our bags and getting to our bus was. We arrived at the resort at 5 35pm! It all took an hour; I was in total shock and happiness!

The bus ride was scary for some, but being on HWY 307 from Cancun to Tulum, this ride was just the same, not stopping for stop signs, passing cars with on coming traffic, doing whatever speed the driver feels like. Be prepared to see lots of garbage on the side of the road, people all over. The little scooters they drive are very interesting; the most I saw on one was 4 people. Our signature vacation rep, has seen 7 people fit onto one before! Very impressive.

Arrived at the resort, checked in, and quickly found our rooms. We had 5 rooms between the 11 of us. Each room was different in its own way. We had room 3118 (ocean/pool view, free of charge too!) This room was awesome, no smell, had a safe, ample closet space, big bathroom, ours had a bidet also with the toilet. No problems in flushing or clogging the toilet. Water pressure was really good, no matter what time we had showers at. One thing was the shower head was not stuck into the wall very well. No big deal, but did fall every now and then. Shower gel was provided, but we had brought our own. Enough towels for everyone, one day we requested more and got more in a short amount of time..remember everything is on Dominican time..or as we learnt, Manana (meaning tomorrow) The beds were a queen, and comfortable to sleep on. The booze may have helped with us sleeping, seeing how most of us crashed every nite. But compare to the beds we had in Mexico, they were really comfortable. You can push the beds together if you like, we did for our room parties. The balcony was nice, with a table and 2 chairs. TV had lots of channels. Never had a problem with the air-conditioning, well nothing that wasn’t self inflicted. Note: don’t try changing the room temperature after a nite of drinking..it either gets real cold, or real hot haha. We left a tip for the maid almost daily, and one time she did make a snake out of the towels, and added some pretty flowers to it. The maid did do an awesome job, with 3 girls in one room, she even cleaned up our jewelry. The one thing that we did have a problem with was the room keys; they are the swipe kind, and kept getting demagnetized some how, and mixing them up with our friends all the time. A quick walk down to reception and the keys would work again. We had a room right next to one of our friends, and with people constantly coming in and out of our room, it was so easy to mix them up. I would prefer keys being held onto a lanyard or something that’s not as easy to lose.

The ground of the resort were amazing, beautiful all around, luscious flowers, grounds were kept clean. Through out the day, people were always cleaning up. During the end of the week, we did see some workers painting, and touching up some things. Thought this resort is only 3 years old, there is some wear and tear. Nothing to be concerned about though. Just some paint fading, but with the heat and paint on cement, I think the paint would come out quickly. They have poor drainage, as it rained for 36 hours straight, there were puddles EVERYWHERE! I believe this is just part of the country, as after raining for 36 hrs straight, most things were flooded. One of the rooms we had, the couple had to switch because the windows were leaking and flooding their room. They requested a new room and had no problem getting a new one.

The beach was really nice. Not as good as the Mayan Riveria beach, but we expected that. The waves were soooo much fun. They kept us all busy for hours! Beware thought, they is a strong undertow. Definitely can injure your self. The waves were going over 5 ft high on some days. Its lots of fun, but you have to be careful; I would not go in if I didn’t know how to swim. One day, the wave lifted me up, I did a backwards somersault, spun me around and landed on my face in the sand, and twisted my ankle. Just be careful! If you like boogie boarding, kite surfing, catamarans, kayaking, this is definitely the place to stay. Tons of water activities to keep you busy all day long. Plenty of chairs to lay on, we went to the beach and different times thru out the day and never had a problem for finding chairs. You may have to move them, but big deal. Yes there are people who ‘save’ their chairs all day long with their towel, but there is more than enough chairs to go around. A few of us usually went on the beach after our nightly trip to get some pizza at the snack bar (around 3am). We never felt unsafe just walking around right in front of the resort. There is the security guard watching the beach. Just don’t let go of your stuff in the ocean, or it may go for a swim, just like my purse and sandals did. Luckily one of the guys was sober enough to catch them before they got lost.
There is beach vendors walking around, a simple ‘no gracias’ and they walk away. Some talk to you a bit and ask you where you are from. I never found them to be a problem though. I would see them coming and simply close my eyes. They definitely didn’t bug you then. Also the hair-braiding ladies are out and about. 3 of us got our hair done. I have short hair and only got ½ my head done for $15, the other 2 have long hair and got their hair braided for $30. Definitely barter with them, one of the girls has really long hair and it took over 2 hours to braid and got it for the same price as the other girl who has extremely shorter hair than her. The staff are always walking around on the beach asking if you want to join in activities. They will let you be if you just want to be lazy on the beach.

The animation team is amazing. They are such hard workers. Up early in the morning for several activities that go thru out the day, have a few hours off, and perform in the nightly shows. A lot of the times, a few of the staff would head down to the disco. Personally, we never got involved in the daily activities. A few of us, did the salsa/merengue lessons. There is bocce ball, Spanish lessons, water polo (well something that looked like it), dancing lessons, cooking lessons, and bingo. There is always something to do around the resort. The staff are truly amazing people. They work such long, hard days, always having a smile on their face. We got to know a few staff members, Roberto (nice body, oooh baby;) Beware ladies..these men move EXTREMELY FAST!!! Great people, but just be careful, as the next thing you know, you are going on a ‘walk’ with them on the beach or to the gym!

The shows are amazing. We went every nite except for Monday nite. The first few shows were cheesy, but c’mon, make the best out of them. We sure did, the loud Canadian bunch we are.. I’m sorry for those that had to deal with us, on the 11th, all intoxicated and excited made for one LOUD show. We were told to ‘shh’ a few times, even from the staff. Oopsie. Saturday Nite it was a Grease show, Sunday was Miss Viva. One of the girls from our group was chosen to go up, yay Kate! Monday we missed. Tuesday was Valentines Day and they performed a special show for us, awesome dancing. Wednesday was Comedy..Funny show! Thursday was Michael Jackson Tribute..a MUST SEE. As a dancer of 12+ years, the staff did a phenomenal job dancing. I was in awe. Friday nite was Dance Revolution. They danced to songs thru the decades. Oh baby is all I can say, Boy oh boy, the assets on some of the guys are just yummy! Like I said before, the staff know how to dance. Each nite before the show started, they would bring up people from the audience and dance. A great touch I thought. The shows vary in length, from1 hour to 2 hours. The 2 hour shows were getting long (Miss Viva). At the shows they also hand out all the rum to those who have won the activities during the day. The shows start at 9 45, but the show doesn’t really start until 10. A lot of the shows had a lot of sexual content in them. There were some kids there watching it, not sure how much they understood. However there was a kid’s show before the ‘adult’ show. I believe it was part of the kids club. Always 5- 10 kids in attendance who seemed to enjoy being up on stage while their proud parents took pictures.

The Food was great all around, breakfast I say would be the least favourite of the 3 meals, however im not a breakfast person so it didn’t bother me or was it the affects from the nite before?? Haha. The omelets are really good though. They make them right in front of you. Not as much fresh fruit as I anticipated, but again, more than enough to eat still. Heck, even pizza (more to that story!) Lunch always had lots to eat. Lunch is served from 12 – 3 30. Dinner was from 6 30 – 9 00. Lots of choices for dinner, my plate was always full, and my eyes always seemed to be bigger than my stomach. With the 11 of us going, I was worried, one would get sick. From what I know of, no one ever got sick, unless it was alcohol related! No one starved while at the resort. There is always something to eat at anytime of day. The snack bar is open 24/7 and we always went there after the disco for some pizza and drinks, in attempts to sober us up (never really worked). The pizza they have is amazing. I probably ate ½ a pizza to myself a day. They make the pizza in a wood oven, which makes the taste. If you can get fresh pizza, it is absolutely to die for. The tables are set up with 4 chairs, but can easily be moved. We always moved 3 tables together so the 11 of us could eat together. Service was ok, sometimes a little slow on getting us water or clearing the tables, but overall was great.
We tried both a la Carte dinners, the Mexican and the Italian. Both restaurants are absolutely phenomenal. Best food I’ve had in a very long time. Drinks were flowing in both restaurants; the margaritas in the Mexican restaurant were very good! The wines were decent too. I’m not much of a wine person, but I drank a glass at each restaurant. One thing I did notice was they kept refilling our drinks when they were ¾ full still! You don’t think you are drinking lots but stand up and your body tells you differently haha. At one point I had 5 different drinks going! We all left tips, and after the money was on the table the service was excellent! Always catering to our needs…needing more margaritas! They let us all stay as long as we wanted. This was much appreciated seeing how it was nice for 11 of us just to sit and enjoy a few drinks after dinner. The food is never ending. The bring out home made taco chips with salsa, guacamole (best tasting guac ive had!) in the Mexican, and in the Italian they bring out some different breads with a sauce. They take your appetizer and main course right away, and within 5 min you have food at your spot! In both restaurants, I was too full by the time the main course came, but being such good food, I ate it hehe. I had the fajitas in the Mexican and the lasagna in the Italian. I wish I could have taken both things home with me. Sooo gooood. I can’t even begin to write how pleased I was with the a la Cartes. You are allowed to eat at each restaurant once, but since they book thru room numbers we technically could have eaten there all week. 2 of the couples within our group went to the Italian twice. We never had a problem booking for the day we wanted. They seat at 7, 8 and 9 pm. We booked the day before for each restaurant and did not have to get up early to reserve. You can also book by phoning from your room, but we were always around so we reserved in person. If you stay at Tangerine, go and eat at one of the specialty restaurants. It’s worth it!

The bar….hmm what to say about the bar…MY FAVOURITE PLACE IN THE WHOLE DAMN RESORT!!! There are 2 bars, the main one and the one in the disco. Each specialty restaurant has their own bar too! Haha. I do enjoy a few or 20 drinks. I tipped the bar tenders $10 US when we arrived and never had a problem having water downed drinks. In fact some were too strong but didn’t stop me from drinking them. They pour alcohol as if it was water. Omar was the man!!! He is such a nice caring awesome amazing bartender. He had this thing each time one of the 11 of us was in line (just about any given time) he would start chanting “Canada, Canada” Made us feel special. He’s a great guy and deserves a few bucks here and there. Over the week I tipped fairly heavily to the bartenders, seeing how I was using their service LOTS! The drinks are not watered down. Who ever says that you most have a high tolerance for alcohol. By midweek the drinks were ½ booze, the last nite there, drinks were being poured with ¾ booze and ¼ mix. Definitely strong drinks and I got drunk EVERY nite. The last nite there they had a beach party on the beach (AWESOME!) the bartenders were drinking and dancing with us. It was 3am and the bar was closed, but I wanted another drink, honestly I didn’t need it but wanted one. They were not going to get me a drink, but I pull a $5 out and within 2 minutes I have about 5 vodka and 7 up in front of me. I clearly realized I didn’t need the drink when I woke up at 9 am and was still drunk! They have daily specials, which are really good, also they have a list of the drinks they make with the ingredients. Some of the my favs are Sex on the Beach;), Bahamamama’s, Tangerines, and the good ol’ Brugal Rum and coke. I was never much of a rum drinker before we left. However, the Brugal Rum they have is sooo smooth. It just slides down your throat. I went to the grocery store in Sosua and got 1 liter for $5 US! The cups are plastic and serve its purpose – to hold the drink! I didn’t miss the glass at all, infact I liked plastic cups better because no glass could be shattered on the floor then. The nite it was raining, we decided to have a room party watching the Olympics, and went down and got 16 drinks at once! Omar went underneath the bar and used Smirnoff Vodka. In the 8 drinks that were vodka, he managed to use up the entire 26 oz, and the 8 that were rum, used ¾ of the Brugal Rum bottle!!! Omar is definitely the man. Overall the drinks were awesome, as well as the bartenders. They always have a smile on their face and are very friendly. There can be line ups at times, the peak time seemed to be when the show was let out, around 11pm. It goes fast, I never had to wait more than 5 min in line. Some of the time, the bartenders just gave us random drinks. I’m easy to please when it comes to drinks. Between all 11 of us, we definitely drank our share in booze. I have NEVER drank that much in my life before. I was hammered every nite. It never took much though, usually 5 drinks and I was feeling no pain. I was only hung over one morning, the morning after the beach party, which was the day we were leaving! There were 4 of us hung over that morning seeing how we just gave er hard the nite before.

Of the 11 of us that went to VWT, about 5-6 of us love to party and dance the nite away, so the disco was where we were almost nightly. The played awesome music, from Sean Paul, Black Eyed Peas, to their Merengue and Bachata music. Infact, they could play anything you wanted because they download their music, using lime wire. We got them downloading a bunch of songs! The DJ Alex was awesome. He would play just about anything we asked for. The staff usually came down to the disco for a while and danced away, with us hehe. I liked how the disco was not open air. It was nice to dance in air conditioning. The floor can get slippery, seeing how I fell almost nightly…I swear it was NOT the booze haha..ok ok, maybe it was. The bathrooms did have water on the ground though. The poor drainage, and after the rain storm we had, its kind of expected. They had couches all around the disco you could sit on. We left our purses alone on a couch and never had anything taken from us.
Now onto the boys of Dominican. Well being to Mexico last year, we were prepared to have a lot of attention! As much as I thought I was prepared, I got a lot more attention this year than last. These guys move extremely fast, they like to dance very close, and definitely will try to take advantage of you after you have had a few drinks. I was asked several times to go on a walk. Of course I said no..I was drunk but never THAT drunk. I was still smart enough to not go. A few nites I was left in the disco alone dancing with some guy and never felt unsafe. The first time I was left alone, I was brought a drink but never drank it. I was not sure what they could have possibly stuck in the drink. This was after some guys kept coming up to the guy speaking in Spanish and giving him high fives! Something fishy was going on there. I love to dance and that’s all I was there for! Remember ladies, this is their culture – to be charming and ‘loving’ to the ladies. They do it to EVERYONE single or not. Expect lots of hugs and kisses from the guys. I lost count after the second nite haha. Even the bartenders were getting pretty close to us during the beach party. The disco didn’t have a lot of people after an hour or 2. We found out a lot of people go Cabarete to party it up there. A $5 Cab ride gets you there. I would not walk on the beach, seeing how there are prostitutes. A few people of our group went a couple nites and had fun. Its party central, people partying up and down the street in clubs, playing top 40 music. There are wall-to-wall people dancing to VERY LOUD music. Free cover in the bars they went to.
As I’ve previously mentioned, there was a beach party on the last nite we were there, the Friday! All I can say is..AMAZING!!! Partying on the beach, the ocean breeze, on the stage dancing with all of my friends and guys, singing into the mic was the epitome of the trip. The feeling I had is indescribable. The drinks were flowing, and the music was awesome. They started the nite off with the limbo. That’s hard to play after a few drinks, you think you can bend that low, but nope, RIGHT INTO THE SAND! The stage is a little off balance, but so was the condition I was in, so it all evened out haha.

Through out the week we did a few excursions. With our student budgets we weren’t capable of doing everything, but over all the excursions we did do were awesome. We went shopping in Sosua and Cabarete. Sosua was a $14 cab ride. And you can walk to Cabarete from VWT! It’s a gorgeous 10-15 min walk along the beach. Sosua had shops where you needed to barter. The whole thing is truly a game. Pay between 50 and 75% less of what they say. But use your judgment. Cabarete had more set in stone prices, which were still reasonable so it was nice not to do the whole game with bartering.
We went on the outback safari, had Kenny as our tour guide. Kenny was funny and always had something to say. We did this on Valentines Day. This is the day it poured all day long. I’m glad we did this on the rainy day as it kept us busy all day long. The outback is a definite must do! You get to see the culture and country. The rum is flowing all day long of course. At the end of the day they take you to a beach for some boogie boarding in the crazy waves. It was lots of fun swimming in the rain. We also checked out Check Point Sosua. It’s a little pub/bar in Sosua. Colleen and Mark are awesome. The drinks are yummy, and if you ever go into Sosua, please have a hamburger on my behalf! They are soo good. A lot of Canadians stop by here, so it’s a great conversation place. Also check out the grocery store, which has cheap booze. If you are into jewelry, stop by Patrick’s, just down from the grocery store. The prices are set, but they have some gorgeous jewelry. I picked up some nice Larimar and Amber pieces there. They give you 20% off if you pay by cash.

Some side notes – each language gets their own colour of bracelet you wear at the resort. There are towels given for the beach. You will be given towel cards upon arrival. Tip the staff. They really appreciate it, and it never hurts to give a buck or two. They get paid minimal and when you give them a tip, you see a difference in service. The plugs are normal, my hair dryer worked in them. The bathroom did have a typical hairdryer but I always like to bring my own.

Overall, our first trip was a memorable one. Of what we can remember! I would definitely stay at Viva Wyndham Tangerine again. It was our first trip to the Dominican Republic, and it won’t be our last. This is definitely a 4 star resort. I would recommend it to anyone. I went for a week of lying on the beach and partying. I definitely did both, well maybe more partying, seeing how it took me a week to recover from our so-called vacation. Please visit our photos www.spaces.msn.com/skittlegurl85 and feel free to email me at skittle_gurl85@hotmail.com

34 Thank skittle_gurl85
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 25, 2006

We stayed in the hotel Tangerine in Cabarete and were pressured to sign the contract with their Viva Wyndham vacation club not to mention signing under influence of alcohol. We were swindled by one of their employes to go upstairs with him (he promised us better rooms if we followed him). Next day after signing the contract we let them know that we want to terminate the contract and after that they started avoiding us. We have sent cancellation of agreement in e-mail and by post but still no replay to cancellation. I know that we have legal right to terminate the contract so there should be no problem...

• Stayed January 2006
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Cabarete hotels

New York
Reviewed February 20, 2006

My boyfriend and I (from NYC) spent 4 full days at the Wyndham in Cabarete and we are sad to be home now. The island is gorgeous, we flew into Santiago and had to ride 1.5 hours to the hotel (Puerto Plata is much closer)through mountains and beautiful countryside. We used Preito Tours ans the transfer company, and as long as you reconfirm with them, they are very good. The taxi ride would have cost about $65.00. The hotel was very nice, we loved the food, especially the local cuisine (mangu, country stew, plaintains, etc). The beach is great, wear sunblock, i got burned very badly on an overcast afternoon. It rains once a day but it is also sunny and hot during the day as well. You can easily walk to Cabarete which is a fun town and you feel quite safe. My boyfriend and I took a 2 hour trip outside the hotel to Playa Grande, which is the MOST beautiful beach full of palm trees and cliffs i have seen in a long time and very much worth spending the day there. People are helpful and not too pushy, but they will gladly accept tips for help (if you dont know spanish outside the resort you will need it) so be nice. Definetely tak one far trip outside the hotel for every 5 days you spend there. My biggest complaint about the hotel is that theres only ONE BAR for a medium sized property, and the drinks arent mixed so well, and the bartenders are not happy with their jobs even though guests seemed to be nice and patient with them. I like to drink a fair bit when im away and this got a bit tiring. Cabarete has excellent bars and nightlife. This is not a luxurious place, the rooms are simple, and things are not grand, but it is a good setting to maintain a great budget and really relax. People will ask you to buy things on the beach, so buy a necklace and wear it so that they stop asking. trust me, it can get bothersome. The watehr was amazing, the beach beautiful, the food great, the sights of the country outstanding, playa grande fantastic, homemade pina coladas fantastic, and my aversion to being back home working very high. I reccommend this hotel as one of the most convenient and best ways to enjoy the north coast of DR.

14 Thank Jessicalovesgreece
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabarete
Viva Wyndham V Heavens
BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only
Iberostar Costa Dorada
Iberostar Costa Dorada
#2 of 39 in Puerto Plata

Been to Viva Wyndham Tangerine? Share your experiences!