“Bang for your Buck”

Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Cabarete
Brampton, Canada
“Bang for your Buck”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Wife and friends just got back from this resort. This is a average resort, You pay for what you get. The grounds are kept very nice and clean, the rooms are dated, When we first arrived the lock on our room would not let us in , we even had two workers trying to get into the room but they gave up and gave us another room, My buddy's step son and daughter had to be moved because they said there room was disgusting. But the food is okay but the alcohol is terrible. They can't make the same drink twice and they use very very low quality of booze, but if you are a non drinker you will be fine. Also it is very true that the sellers on the beach will drive you crazy , they really are bothersome, they will hound you and tell you it's cheapie cheapie day and they start there prices very high, if you want something from them you have to haggle for a while, I bought a shark tooth necklace that they wanted $60 u.s. I finally got it for ten bucks . The weather was great but very windy, the mornings are really nice but by 2pm the windy has really picked up. overall the resort is okay, also the resort is very small. There is only one main bar ( no swim up bar ) and there is a pay bar but I heard the drinks there are terrible as well, and they only have one type of beer ( presendente) and they serve it in dirty plastic glasses. I think you can get a Corona at the pay bar. I would not go back to this resort I because of the sellers on the beach and the liquor and because it is such a small resort. You can get the Internet but it really sucks, every day I was only able to send max 4 messages and forget about trying to get up a web page, I was using there wifi in the front lobby but it was crap, I noticed they have a wifi room where you can purchase Internet $4.00 for 15min. but I heard that was no good either. If you want to sit in the lobby and use the free wifi I suggest you do it at a quite time because the road in front of the resort is extremely loud and noisy. Over all the resort is okay, sorry we didn't see any of the shows in the evening so I can't comment on them.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 15 block just behind the buffet restaurant, nice and quite and private there. We ha...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank canadians127
VivaWTangerine, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Tangerine, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Sr.

Thank you for having chosen our Viva Wyndham Tangerine to spend your holidays. We appreciate you took the time to express your experience in www.tripadviser.com. We are deeply sorry that your experience was not as good as you expected and that you were not completely satisfied with our service.

We wish to assure you that here at Viva Wyndham Tangerine we take any comments as a constructive criticism. Our management will take note of your comments to evaluate how we can improve.

We thank you again for your comments and for having been part of our Viva Wyndham Tangerine.

Viva Wyndham Tangerine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Port Colborne, Canada
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed at this resort April 10-17, we upgraded our room when we got there, ended up with a beautiful Oceanview Suite, very nice! The staff was great, very accommodating and helpful. Beautiful pool and awesome beach, too windy for me but it was beautiful. We wouldn't travel there with Sunwing again as their Customer Service is terrible along with the Sunwing Rep at the Hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Madam,

It is amazing what a smile and a great staff can do for us, thank you so much for having been part of us and our smile. We are grateful to know that your stay with us was that much fun and we hope your next visit to Dominican Republic to be once again in our Viva Wyndham Tangerine. Thank you…

Webster, New York
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Traveled with husband & 3 teen’s 15-1 7 yrs old.
We’ve been to DP 5 times, 1 – La Romana, 2 – Punta Cana, 2 – Puerto Plata.
Different hotels each time.

Pros: Housekeeping kept the room clean. We always had 2 bottles of water and 2 towels (for myself & daughter) Husband and boys were in a separate room. Grounds are kept clean. There’s a guy who’s constantly circling the beach & pool picking up empty glasses from the bar. No birds – this was nice…

Food is decent. We liked the snackbar – the pizza is very good. The Chef is a bit surly – but he’ll make you fries or a burger if you ask – just don’t expect hospitality – unless you speak spanish. Cheese for the nacho’s would be a plus – most day’s they only had salsa.

Lots of loungers – we never had a hard time finding one in the am. But note – the resort fills up with locals on the weekend – and then it can become a problem.

Cons: No swim up bar. There’s one bar in the main area and it’s quite small.
Animation team was the worst of any resort we’ve been to. They did next to nothing during the day. This was a huge disappointment for my kids. Wind in the afternoon on the beach is terrible – in the am it’s not bad – pleasant in fact. But in the afternoon it picks up and is unbearable. It’s not much better by the pool either – we would head to the room by 3 at the latest every day.

Rooms are small and very basic. Don’t expect anything extra. We had a coffee maker but never any coffee. There was a space for a fridge – but no fridge. No dressers either. In the bathroom they have this multi-head shower insert & a hand held option – in our room only the hand held part worked. There’s no rubber strip on the shower door – so if you’re not very careful you’ll flood the entire bathroom floor – and that makes it very slippery.

We did have a problem with the rooms – I had requested no ground floor rooms & we needed non-smoking rooms. When we checked in we got one ground floor room & one first floor room. After a short conversation they agreed to move the ground floor room the next day – but we had to come down to reception at 2 to get the new keys. I asked the guy at the desk if the rooms were non-smoking – he assured me that yes they are. What a lie. The ground floor one wasn’t bad. But the first floor room stunk to the high heavens. I asked the Bell Boy if the rooms are non-smoking when he took us to our room – and he said yes but they can’t prevent people from smoking in them. Ok – I guess – but then we went in to the bathroom and low and behold there’s an ashtray and matches. We decided to suck it up and open the sliding glass door to air out the room. FYI – it didn’t help – but since they were going to move our other room to next door we decided it wasn’t going to help to complain. (but just so you know our pj’s stunk from sleeping in the room one night – it was that bad). So next day at 2 pm hubby heads to reception to get keys for new room right next to our room. Bell boy shows him the room – all is good. He goes to reception signs new paper for the new room – we get their stuff and go to that room…and what do you know – they’ve already given the room to someone else. In the 10 minutes between the bell boy showing him the room – him getting the keys & luggage – they put someone else in the room. Wow! So back to reception we go – and now I’m fired up. Guy at desk says come back tomorrow at 2 and we’ll move both rooms. I say – absolutely not – that is unacceptable. How the heck does this happen? Of course they have no answer – perfecto. So after standing for about a half hour at reception they find 2 rooms next to each other on the 2nd floor of the same building. We moved both rooms.

Just a note – I attempted to contact both the hotel directly and the Wyndham co. – to request rooms on the same floor, non-smoking and not on the ground floor ahead of time – and I got responses from both groups saying they’d do their best to accommodate us. I guess not. So don’t bother with emails ahead of time.

The vendors on the beach are very annoying. They will bother you multiple times a day. We always just say ‘no thank you’ – but it is a bother.

We won’t be back to this resort – and I wouldn’t recommend it. If you’re already booked – go and have a good time. If you aren’t – look elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank FamilyTravelsAlot23
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your opinion about your stay in our viva Wyndham Tangerine.

We are truly sorry that you experienced some technical issues with the room and that our service was not what you expected. Please be aware that your observations are very important to us, and they will be considered in order to improve our services and facilities.

Once again we thank you again for your comments and for having been part of our Viva Wyndham Tangerine.

Viva Wyndham Tangerine

Travelers are raving about these Cabarete hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 19, 2014

22-29TH OF APRIL! looking for a fun,exciting...crazy vacation. Look for us canadians coming to have a great time! see you guys soon.Came last year with a group around november. Great service great time in domincan. Also its dominicans (single) week out there 20-27th.

Room Tip: The quiet rooms are any room away from the main building
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank ray b
Dear Sir;

Thank your for recommending us. We are glad you had fun enough to tell others to come to Dominican Republic and visit our Viva Wyndham Tangerine. We hope you can visits us once again in the near future. Our dream tem will be here waiting for you…

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at resort in March 2014. We stayed first night in main building, room was smaller than bungalow rooms and because it was open from bottom u cd hear noise from dining room early in morning. Bungalows were great. We stayed on second floor but stairs were curved and easy to go up. Property very clean. Food is good, Buffet had lots of choices. Pool was spotless and well laid out. Lots of chairs, towels, etc. nice palm trees in pool an d beach area. Beach is rough. I liked the winds as it helped with heat. Resort is small and easy to get around. There were only two things wrong with this resort and if they were corrected I.d go back in a sec, first we couldn't.t enjoy the beach because vendors continually are in your face, one after the other and they keep coming back. Very invasive. The resort would be smart to limit them to one area of beach as others have complained I noticed. The second problem. Was that they allowed escorts on resort. We saw them coming in and getting rooms and then saw them with men around pool etc. one of the guys in our group was propositioned at bar area by one of them. I was surprised they would allow this in a family resort. It was obvious.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Madame,

Thank you for your sharing your opinion with trip advisor’s readers about your recent stay in our Viva Wyndham Tangerine; we appreciate you took the time to write about your experience in our property, and we are happy to know that you had a pleasant vacation at our Resort.

We consider your comments very interesting and they will help us to improve our services and facilities, we wish your friend had reported the inconvenient in the bar at the very moment when it happened for us to be able to immediately take the proper action, nevertheless we appreciate you are telling, we can assure you we will keep our eyes open to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

We apologize for any inconvenience that you might have experienced during your stay.

Kind regards,

Cornwall, Canada
Reviewed April 12, 2014

We were here back in 2007 and thought we would go back because it was beautiful the first time. This time we brought our 17 year old grandson and his friend. Let's start by saying the staff remains the same Exceptional! Although there was really only one bar because the other one you had to pay for your drinks Samuel the bartender was awesome. We were fortunate to be there during the Olympics and he made sure he found the channels for all of the hockey games. Way to go Canada! The grounds are still beautiful and the beach is worth walking. The buffet had a variety but nothing spectacular. Here is the down side to the resort. We upgraded to the Ocean view and although you could see the ocean it was extremely windy. The rooms are small, dated and the furniture isn't that clean. Just look up at the ceiling fan. The shower was installed incorrectly because every time you took a shower it leaked on the floor. The furniture in the room was broken down and the closet didn't have that many shelves. The room didn't even have a dresser except for two night tables. The room was suppose to come with a coffee make but it didn't. I asked for one and got it on day three. Day four for some reason I had coffee but the maker was gone. The next day I had the maker back but no coffee. The vendors on the beach are very aggressive and don't take no for an answer. They would even try and wake you up if you happen to be catching some zzzzz's. Other resorts that I have been to have a location for the vendors and if you want something you go to them. I wanted to take the kids Zip Lining "only" and booked in the lobby. $200 later and an hour drive to find out it was closed. Never did get a full refund because they had already paid for our lunch. Seriously now isn't customer satisfaction the general rule. Next time book with your Travel agent and not the guy helping out. If you do decide to book off the resort pay half and tell them you will pay the other half when you return from your trip.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Helen G
VivaWTangerine, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Tangerine, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear Sir,

We really appreciate your review. We are grateful for your remarks, although we regret that these holidays were not as good as the first one, well we appreciate your point of view and we hope we can regain your trust in our product and maybe you can give us a third chance to amaze you.

Fair Lawn, New Jersey
Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

I did not have much expectation for this resort but i have to admit that i was pleasantly surprised. The staff was exceptional, the food was excellent at the buffet, which catered to my special diet (gluten and casein free), and the beach/hotel grounds were immaculate. I found the hotel to be more personable than the bigger resorts in Puerto Plata. The animation team was very good. The room was basic but clean. The main building (our room being on the top floor) did get a bit loud sometimes due to the mingling places being downstairs but the doors did not slam as much as I experienced at Be Live. Here, I could sleep. The gym and the disco are in the basement, which is not the greatest location. The tennis court with lessons is a cool addition though. Overall, i enjoyed the trip a lot.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank beaszokola
Dear Madam,

We are so please to have given you such a nice surprise Jajaja… it is great to know you had a lovely stay with us, please keep in mind that it will always be a honor to have you back in our property Viva Wyndham Tangerine.

Viva Wyndham Tangerine
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabarete
Viva Wyndham V Heavens
Sunscape Puerto Plata Dominican Republic
Iberostar Costa Dorada
Iberostar Costa Dorada
#2 of 39 in Puerto Plata

Been to Viva Wyndham Tangerine? Share your experiences!