This was my 5th time to DR, 1st time to this location but my 8th time staying at a Wyndham hotel. If you're looking for the reputation of a Wyndham room from the world wide chain DON'T!! I don't know how this resort can call itself a "Wyndham" - it's embarassing.
Here are my PROs & CONs & you decide
- Property is beautiful, nicely landscaped & maintained
- Staff friendly & attempt to speak to you in your language whenever possible (impressive because there are several languages here - English, French, German, Italian, Spanish)
-The Mexican a la carte had very good food - went there twice & had the same thing - ribs as an entree & the steak for the main
-staff not money grabbing for tips. They don't expect tips & are very appreciate when you do tip.
- large variety of food to choose from in the buffet
- Beach towels NO exchanges - the one you get for the day is the ONLY 1 you'll have for the day, the towel guy will get mad at you if you want another one even if it's soaking wet because of a heavy downpour, got too much sand, etc & get mad at you if you want to hand in your dirty towel in the morning for a clean one. You get scolded that you should have handed your towel in before 5:30pm - REALLY! I'm 57 years old NOT a child. They are only open from 8:30 ish am to 5:30pm.
- electrical outlets in the room (rm 3208) are very scary - they actually came out of the wall with wires exposed. and only 3 single outlets available in the room
- lighting in the room is very dim the bathroom has 1 single chandelier bulb
- In room safe NOT FREE, $2.00 per day
- Lack of hooks in the bathroom to hang your towels, bathing suits etc
- No where to hang a wet bathing suit on the balcony NOT allowed to hang them on the railing
- Timeshare people a pain. They're allowed on the property but won't take NO for an answer, finally will take NO for an answer but then want to hang around you & chat, ask for cigarettes & want to know if you will take them home with you....
- no full length mirror
- NO toilets near the pool or beach - so do people pee in the pool & ocean???
- no coke light for 3 days from the self serve dispensers in the (Mexican) snack area or the self serve bar by the pool
- no bacon
-food in the buffet is fair to good - you won't go hungry
- free wifi is crappy & iffy -- BUT did I mention it's FREE!
- heard loud humming sound (a/c unit) but only noticed it on the last day
PROs & CONs not under their control
- Cabrete a big bust - no where to really shop to buy trinkets & souvenirs - just a few shops with junk - you're better off buying stuff on the beach. Lots of restaurants but you're at an all inclusive...
- beach vendors will bug you like crazy for a few days & then leave you alone - they will take NO for an answer & then move on. If you really don't want them to bother you, pretend you're asleep or bring a video game with you - they really respect that & totally leave you alone
- don't buy anything from the hotel gift shop. Walk across the street to the Esso gas station & they'll probably have it at half the price. Bought booze, cigarettes, insect repellant & ice cream much cheaper here.
- insect repellant - if you get bitten at home you will get bitten here. I got 30 bites on my arm & leg because I was texting in the lobby (free wifi) in the evening.
- asked at the front desk TWICE if the manager was in & if I could speak to him - just told no, he just went home & no, today is his day off. No further action taken by the front desk clerk. I thought I should speak to him personally before writing such a negative review AND before I contacted the Wyndham hotel chain customer service department.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Viva Wyndham Tangerine reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Viva Wyndham Tangerine Hotel Cabarete
- Wyndham Hotel Cabarete
- Wyndham Cabarete
- Cabarete Wyndham