“Upcoming Wedding”

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Cabarete
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We were at the Tangerine in October for a week. It is a clean resort our room was nice but basic. For an all inclusive the food was pretty good...the A la Cartes were okay but not spectacular. The staff are okay but they definitely don't go out of their way for you. The beach vendors are beyond annoying and it ultimately makes you want to avoid the beach altogether. Get ready to say "No Gracias" !!
We are heading down there to celebrate our wedding in February 2014 , the hotel does not really have a nice spot for a wedding. We have decided to get married at the restaurant beside the resort the Maraja which is incredible. We are bringing 70 guests with us in February and I am really hoping they will step up their game a bit for our guests. The impression we got from the Hotel was that they did not feel a need to go out of their way for us. Pretty sure despite the 70 bookings they are getting because of our wedding they won't be providing any upgrades since we are not doing the wedding with them. I am a bit unimpressed but am planning to make the most of our week there.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nicole C
VivaWyndhamRes0rts, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Tangerine, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen our property to spend your holidays along with your wedding party. We will try our best to make you and your guests to feel comfortable in our property.

We apologize if in any moment we made you feel that we didn’t care about your needs. We wish you all the best with your wedding plans and please count on us for anything you need regarding your and your guest accommodation.

Viva Wyndham Tangerine

Write a ReviewReviews (1,625)

Reviewed December 2, 2013

Stayed 4 days in Viva Tangerine, after a week in Bahia Principe El Portillo in Samana. The price difference was only around 25 usd per person per day, but Bahia Principe El Portillo is WAY better.

First room we got at Viva Wyndham was in the older building above the restaurant. It had not been renovated, had a musty smell and very loud air conditioning, smelly pillows... (I will pass all the details). The hotel was very understanding and changed us to a much better room.

Food is average (especially coming from Principe El Portillo). Windsurf equipment very old. They do not have enough towels for the pool.

We went to Cabarete as we wanted to windsurf or kite surf. The beach is great for that.

Customer service is ok at Viva Wyndham, but they really need to upgrade the quality of their buffet and the rooms. They can also make the jacuzzi warmer…

I would recommend Bahia Principe El Portillo.

Room Tip: definitely not in the older building above the restaurants.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank shareinfo21

Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for your comments. We appreciate your feedback and that you have taken the time to write about your experience in our viva Wyndham Tangerine in Cabarete Dominican Republic. We regret the parts that you did not like and we will try our best to make it better for our future customers. And maybe if you decide to come back you will feel better and see things in a different way. .

Reviewed November 27, 2013

A second stay ,one year later.We were given the very same room,so our comparisons are valid for the one room only. We noticed a few diferences, the shower doors had been replaced with new . The air conditioner control was fully functional.
The cleaning ladies do a wonderful job every day!
Food was a bit better than last year, lots of choices,well presented.
The restaurant staff is well above average , very friendly and always helpful.
My husband uses a mobility scooter,and was always treated with courtesy and respect.
We know this is a smaller resort but he can go everywhere with his scooter,excepth the gym which is in the basment.
The only complaint we have would be the lack of a hand rail leading down into the pool at the main stairs, as well as the missing stair on one pool ladder,and the wobbly steps on another.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Linda G

Dear Madam,

We are happy to know you chose our property, Viva Wyndham Tangerine, to spend your holidays for a 2nd time. We are glad you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us; I wanted to mention that our Management has read your comments and we have taken care of the missing stair on the pool, thank you for using this tool to keep us up dated about your stay.

Thank you for your remarks which are very important to us please be sure that they will be considered in order to improve our services and facilities.

Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

I recently went there for a destination wedding. It was a great place for kids since we had children >2. There are plenty of places to sit and entertainment at all times. The all inclusive food was ok/ not great, but it was decent when you were hungry and I suppose that's all that matters! The drinks on the other hand were tasty, but small and watered down in my opinion. I noticed the difference when I went out in the town one night and felt a significant difference just after my first piña colada vs 6 cocktails at the resort. I feel like I could have drank heavily all day and not have felt any sort of affect. Though I think I would be too full to do anything if I did that.

This is really an ok place to stay if you plan on spending time outside, but for the price you'd have to sacrifice the quality of the room. The rooms were clean but the comforter was questionable like most hotels and the sink and toilet seemed clean. My only setback was the shower. There was buildup that should have been avoided if it was properly cleaned after each guest especially sine my building was only a few years old. I also had friends in the wedding party who were without hot water the majority of the vacation only to find out that they need to give the front desk a call 10 minutes before they plan to shower so they can turn on the water heater. They were never notified of this rule. The sliding doors were also rusted and did not make a perfect seal.

I would recommend this place to someone who wants to be frugal and who is willing to sacrifice the cleanliness of their bathroom. The resort area was nice and clean and the staff was fun and energetic!

Stayed: November 2013
4  Thank littlemiss23

Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your opinion about your stay in our viva Wyndham Tangerine. Please be aware that your observations are very important to us and they will be considered in order to improve our services and facilities.

We thank you again for your comments and for having been part of our Viva Wyndham Tangerine, and remember that we will always be pleased to welcome you in our property.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

A little late but definitely a good resort that deserves a review. I'm not a picky vacationer as I research all my destinations thoroughly before heading over and always pay the right price. So i never regret my choice. Please don't mind the grammar as I'm not editing this. Also I'm 24 years old and went with a girlfriend who was 23 for demographics comparing.

i'm not picky about food, but people rave about how food is so much better than food in Cuba so i was looking forward to like extreme 5 star quality as i did not find food in cuba that bad. However to me the food was the same as Cuba. I dont know if that's a good thing or bad but to me the food was good. Lots of variety and the freshly made food bars always help. They have 2 a la carte restaurants and it was no hassle booking appointments at both and we enjoyed the food at both of them.

Room service
I barely got to meet the maids as we were always out but they cleaned the rooms very nicely. Not too much towel art but after travelling so much i've seen them all lol. there was still something with some flowers so it wasn't too bad. if I did bump into them they had great customer service. always smiling.

In all the service was amazing! They are such happy and friendly people. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left. Receptionist, food servers, maids, entertainers, security guards! everyone! We made friends that we still keep in touch with through facebook. Especially the entertainers. I still remember a few names - Baby, Betty, Sweety! And the guys at the towel shack! Amazing bunch of people! I hope i didnt forget anyone else i was really close with but seriously they were all so much fun!

I paid around 800 for this trip and would say i got my moneys worth. Sometimes it's the people you're among that make your trip.

Location
Ok so out of everything the only thing I have complaints about and this is completely out of the resorts hand is it's windy! but that's just that part of the DR apparently. It is very windy. The first day we got there we thought it was just that day but it stayed windy throughout the week. it can get annoying but since you're there for a week you get used to it. The beach is beautiful but the wind ruins the tanning experience unless you face a certain way to ensure no sand flies in your face when you move your feet that have sand on them haha. also it's an open beach so you'll see locals walking by. They don't bother you at all. The local sales people will but you just ignore them and either keep walking by or if they come up to you, you just say you don't want anything. however if you ARE interested in buying something from them i've heard you can bargain VERYYYY low with them. So give it a shot.

Tips:

Do go into the city. You can walk along the beach and get to it or walk from the front of the hotel on the road but their driving is crazy and it's not too scenic so i recommend the beach walk.

If you need to make a call back home, buy a calling card at the gift shop which is like 100 pesos and you can always get the person you're calling to call you back as it's probably cheaper.

Take lots of sunscreen as if you run out it might be a little expensive down there. We ran out..Twice -_- we didn't think we'd need that much until we realized the sun was starting to burn us. I've never gotten burned before so this was not a fun experience.

There is no 24 hr bar but the disco is open till 2 so you can always grab drinks from there to last you through the night if you're planning on staying up.

All in all it was a fun experience. Alot of people from Germany there, a lot were on honeymoons. Few families, mainly couples. The entertainers were a great bunch. Made my trip really.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank wondaful
VivaWyndhamRes0rts, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Tangerine, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for such a detail review about your experience in our Viva Wyndham Tangerine… we’ve seen that you had fun and we are so happy to know that. We hope to keep your preference for your next holidays in the Caribbean.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

This hotel does a decent job for an all inclusive; it is 4 star but that doesn't mean it is supposed to be a luxury resort. These resorts are what they are. If you need true luxury and will not settle for less than book a Sandals or one of those high end places that will run you at least 3500 per person. Having said that, lets talk about the pros and cons of this type of all inclusive hotel. The area is great, I personally prefer to be in Sosua so for me that was the main down side, however, it is just down the beach from the main part of Cabarete and you can walk down that beach to all the bars etc that that section of beach offers and if you wish to go to Sosua you can grab a guagua for about 50 pesos or public taxi for about 100 pesos right out front. Or if you want to go higher end pay 10 dollars (400 pesos) for a private taxi, the ride is about 10 minutes what ever you choose. There are also a lot of motoconchos out front to take you where ever you like for a low price if you don't mind risking a brain injury haha (there are no helmets and their road worthiness is questionable).
As for the food, it is absolutely fine. It is basic as you would expect from this type of resort but still quite good. The pizza is very good and made in a wood fired brick oven and is served from 11 am unitl the wee hours. The rooms are basic but comfortable and the ac works very well. The grounds are pretty and well kept and the beach is very nice. Down side of the beach is the fact that it is quite open and the waves become very huge making swimming in the ocean close to impossible. The first 3 days we were there swimming was no problem, the last four I had to settle for playing in the surf. The service was very good as well, you get what you give so if your nice they people working in the resort they will also be nice (same as anywhere else). Drinks are adequate and the bartenders are hardworking and you never have to wait in line very long for a refreshment. Over all I would recommend this hotel. If you are getting a reasonable price you will do quite well to come here as the location is great. As I said, I prefer to be in Sosua so I will always opt for that first but if I get a really great deal here I would definitely come back.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank need_for_travel

Dear Sir or Madame,

Reviewed November 12, 2013

So, we just got back form the Tangerine on Nov 5. There was myself, hubby and our 1 year old as well as my parents (65 and 71 y/o) It was a decent trip....I will break it down.

Reception....Nice enough. My mom is handicapped and they changed rooms for her to the main building with an elevator. The "Lifestyle" people who try and sell time shares are in the lobby and hound you as soon as you walk in so be for-warned.

Room.....Nice enough and clean. Beds were comfy. We were in the main building (32) Had its pros and cons. Pro is we were right near the beach, pool and bar...everything for that matter. Con is that the restaurant is there and depending on where your room is (ours 3209) our balcony overlooked the garbage. Not pleasant. Also, we were on the top floor so there was a constant hum of all the A/C units on the roof. We were ok with it but depending on if you like silence when you sleep, it may be an issue. We had the baby and they gave us a crib at no extra charge (I had to go to reception and ask 3x, but got one none the less)

Pool....Big, clean and had a sectioned off area for kids. It was great. The downside is that on the weekends they allow the locals in so it gets very busy and they are not the most polite....at least that is our experience. Even the staff seemed annoyed by them. There was never an issue getting a beach chair so that was nice. I believe we were there in off season though so that might have been to our advantage.

Beach....Great. Clean, lots of shade. The waves are big and strong so be ready for that. In other posts they say you can walk the beach to Cabarete in 5 min....more like 20. 5 min cab ride. Lots of bars but not so much shopping. There are lots of people selling stuff on the beach...they are very pushy and we actually had to get mean. Sounds awful but if I want something I will come to you, don't wake me up to sell me something. We came here for the kite surfing, but sadly there was no wind for the week of our trip (obviously, not their fault)

Food....Fine. It is exactly what I expected. Nothing wow, but edible. If you are picky they had a pasta bar and pizza at every meal as well as simple foods like rice and potatoes with veg.

Bar....plan to get intoxicated fast....we took our own larger cups and it was 75% alcohol and juice for colour. They are very generous with the alcohol. By day 2 we had to tell them little or even no alcohol. It was great but just too much for us.

Entertainment.....I hate to say it, but awful. The animation staff were very friendly and great but the evening entertainment was awful. Perhaps I have just been spoiled in the past but these guys get a A for effort but that is it.

Money....DO NOT get Dominican Pesos.....take American money. You get a good rate here (Canada) to buy pesos but they charge you 4x as much there.

Overall, the resort was very nice. It is small so easy to get around (we like that in a resort). The staff are great. I had a 1 year old running around EVERYWHERE and they all played with him and entertained him when they could. Definitely family friendly. For what we paid I would say it was a great deal and got a good vacation out of it.

Room Tip: I would say not to stay in the main building (32). Although it can be convenient it is noisy and bu...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank RasberryD

Dear Sir,

We really appreciate your review. We are grateful for your remarks and especially we are happy to know that you had a great vacation at our Resort. We are happy to know you enjoy the most of it.

Viva Wyndham Tangerine

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabarete
Ultravioleta Boutique Residences
#4 of 19 in Cabarete
Be Live Collection Marien
Be Live Collection Marien
#9 of 40 in Puerto Plata

Been to Viva Wyndham Tangerine? Share your experiences!