“Pros and Cons”

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Cabarete
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I just returned from a stay at the Viva Wyndham (Sept 9-13/2013) with my roommate. If you're looking for a bargain this may be a viable option. This all-inclusive has some fine attributes such as the grounds are well-kept, the staff is attentive, I felt safe, the pool is functional and the beach view is beautiful (especially when the windsurfers are out). On the other hand the theme restaurants were a huge disappointment especially if you LIKE food. The "Mexican" restaurant (and trust me I use the term "restaurant" loosely!) was the lesser of two evils. The "Italian" restaurant was such as disappointment that I couldn't wait to get home and make myself a decent plate of pasta... So stick with the buffet. The variety is decent and the fruit and dessert options often make-up for the lack of tastiness of some of the dishes. Seasoning Tip: Since I have traveled to DR extensively I now bring my own seasoning blend as DR unfortunately does not do beef nor pork well. Chicken and fish are always tastier options.
Rooms: During check-in ask if you could see the room. Our first room had a defective AC fan and the pullout couch had no linen (one blanket had holes...) and the shower enclosure was defective and leaked. Consequently we had to change rooms. The second room was better. So, again, ask to inspect so you can ID potential issues.
Vendors: Vendors are ONLY allowed to approach you on the beach. This can be problematic as they can be a bit aggressive (FYI: DR has no social safety net: No food stamps, public assistance, unemployment insurance, etc. So if the vendors don't sell they don't eat!) As much as I try to be conscientious and compassionate, when one is trying to enjoy a few days vacation, the constant solicitation can become annoying. By the end of my four days I avoided the beach entirely as I was just tired of saying "no gracias..." Please note: This dynamic is present in many tourist-oriented islands in the Caribbean...
Rum: Ok, here I may be entering the "anal retentive zone" I LIKE rum, DR makes some EXCELLENT rums, so it was mindboggling to me that the hotel served a generic rum!!! I mean the hotel is about 5-10 miles away from the Brugal FACTORY!!! How in the name of sensible customer service do you NOT serve some decent locally produced rum? BTW, if you like good rum try and visit the Brugal Factory near Puerto Plata. The variety is extensive and like all distilleries there is a Tasting Section!!! :-)
Beer: Thank goodness they serve Presidente, the national beer. It's a lager and taste quite good.
Return: One of the keys for me about a resort, hotel, or restaurant is "would I go back?" Yes. If I had a limited budget (I got this package via JetBlue Getaways: 4 nights, air included for two $1,250.00. Not bad I think. If only they'd serve a better rum and the theme restaurants made a better effort...
I hope this is helpful.

Room Tip: 2417 was our second room. It was roomy although it had two beds. The shower didn't leak. The o...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Tommy J
VivaWyndhamRes0rts, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Tangerine, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Customer,

Thank you for sharing with us your comments on your recent vacation at Viva Wyndham Tangerine.

I can assure you that all of our clients’ opinions are very important to us because it is the more reliable source of information to improve our services and facilities.

Also your observations are very important to us, please be sure that they will be considered in order to improve our services and facilities.

Again thank you for choosing to stay at Viva Wyndham Tangerine

Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

Me & my husband stayed here in may 2010. It was our 1st holiday in the DR and it was our best holiday yet!!!.. the hotel is beautiful!!!! Very clean and outstanding.. our room was lovely, we didnt expect 5* luxury as we would in england as we was in a 3rd world country..the beach was beautiful, only bad thing was the local's trying to sell us stuff and wouldnt leave us alone. There was a lovely irish bar up the beach aswell :)... the food was brilliant, loads to choose from so know one could go hungry & all the staff at the hotel was very friendly & helpful so hands down to them... all the bad reviews about the locals on the weekends are wrong!!!! They are just family's enjoying themselves & didnt cause any problems, I didnt even notice them there... so all in all fantastic holiday, would love to go back to this resort but my travel agent doesn't go there anymore :(...but we are returning this november to a different resort not far from this hotel as we love this country and feel at home... cnt wait!!!! :D

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank mrs_smithy12
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I've been to Viva Wyndham Cabarete twice. It's not SUPER fancy, so if you are fussy about decor, then you may be a little dissapointed. This place has everything you need. The food is varied, the staff are friendly and nice, the rooms are clean, the grounds are kept very well, I felt safe, the beach is beautiful. The resort is a good size (Not too big) and we never had trouble getting a beach chair (providing you don't show up at early afternoon when the beach is at it's busiest).

The resort is close to town (a short walk) either from the beach ( nice walk...lots of restaurant on the beach) or from the street.
There is great kite surfing to be had... Cabarete is known for it! Surfing as well. Just be careful when entering the water...the surf breaks close to shore: Hold on to your bikini!
The a la carte restaurants are also quite good.
Always had a great time there!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank APhilippaR
Reviewed September 3, 2013

First the bad. The food was not very good. And too many smokers! Europeans have not got the word yet about the hazards of smoking. About 80% of the people staying at the hotel were non-USA and everyone of them smoked!

Now the good. Great drinks, adequate fitness facility and in-room safes. After that, everything is a bonus.

The security was very good. No one was allowed on the property unless they were staying there. You had to pay a visitation privledge if you wanted to bring a guest onto the property.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Tacoma1980
VivaWyndhamTangerine, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Tangerine, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Sir,

We are glad you had a good vacation and that you felt satisfied with our service. We appreciate your point of view so we will try our best to make it better next time for you to be able to give us only plusses…

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We just came back from Tangerine 8/28/2013 ..It was ok .the lady who cleans was excellent,but for some reason the room smells . We have problems with TV and refrigerate but soon as we called they fix it immediately. Food was ok ...Italian restaurant was the best but you have to make reservations to go there .1 or 2 times in week. We stayed 12 days ,everyday had waves but it was ok for us . Front desk amazing people .Shows are something you don't want to miss,great . We booked the trip to Paradise Island it was worthy every penny ,the view the trip itself and snorkeling was amazing .....
The beach itself was beautiful but they have to do something with that dogs there.I wish the people who were allowed to sell there NOT to be there or change the way the sell . .If you buy something from somebody the other one comes and say why you bought from him ? i came yesterday to you and i show you my number ...Kind of scary . Soon as we go to the beach they follow you, not 1 or 2 but 4,5,6 of them and they don't move until you ignore them .That was to much . i remember one day i went to get some drink inside and one of them said to me Can you please bring something for me to drink? Then you have some of them who stayed in front of you for no reason for maybe 10-15 min .I did not feel comfortable.
Will I go again in Tangerine ? Yes I will .

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Lola G

Thank your for recommending us.

Thank you for you positive comments about your stay in our Viva Wyndham Tangerine, We are pleased we could meet your expectation.

We are deeply sorry if the beach vendors almost spoilt you holidays; unfortunately there is an association of art vendors, managed independent, and they sell around Cabarete’s Beach area and as the beach is public we can’t do much about it. However we thank you for your comments and we will keep trying with the local authority to see how we can stop this situation.

Thank you again for sharing you experience with us. And hope to see you soon in our Viva Wyndham Tangerine.

Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Just finishing up a week of stay at Viva Tangerine. I definitely have a hard time understanding the negative reviews! I've travelled much and can definitely say this hotel fares pretty well with other resorts in its class.

This is a 3.5 star resort with a medium size property so don't compare it to huge 4-5 star resorts!

Nice resort, beautiful grounds, decent beach with palm trees, nice waves, murky water with sandy ocean floor. My first room was sketchy but asked to changed and next one was decent. Hard bed, cold AC and always hot water. Food was good! Some staff are great, some less but I'd still say they get their jobs done! A simple smile, greeting guests and a happy attitude could definitely help with the experience at this resort!

All in all, I was pleased with it and would recommend friends to stay here. Just keep in mind the hotel rating and the size of the property and it should turn into a pleasurable experience!

Viva, fix your constantly running toilets and urinals. Lots of wasted water!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank BeenThere01

Dear Sir,

We are glad you had a nice experience while staying with us in our property, Viva Wyndham Tangerine. We thank you for writing your opinion as for us is very important to know about our guests’ experience.

We are pleased you could enjoy your time in our resort and hope to see you here again soon.

Thank you so much for you comments, we feel grateful that you spend a satisfactory holidays with us at the Viva Wyndham Tangerine. We appreciate your feedback and that you have taken the time to write these comments.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed in an Oceanfront suite at the Viva Tangerine so we'd have some more space with the kids, and had an enjoyable weeks vacation, in a bit more detail;

Checkin - Advertised as 3PM, our flight came in early so we were at the hotel before 11AM and had no problem waiting, we arrived on a Sunday which is I guess checkout day for the local weekend trippers. Walked town, had lunch and waited by the pool which was fine, come 3PM no room, checked again at 3:30/4:00/4:30/5:00 and got the room before 5:30, at 3PM we were given the room number and apologies it wasn't ready, around 4:30PM we could still see the outgoing guests sitting on the balcony drinking - FRUSTRATING!!! Not the fault of the hotel however surely they could have sent someone down to get the guests moving...

Location - Good location in Cabarete, probably a 5 minute walk from the main part of town, taxi's motorbikes etc. plentiful for transportatation and the beach out the front was good.

Rooms - Only frustration was that the showers were always cold, not too important given the climate however nice to have a warm/shower on occasion. I was going to complain after day 1 thinking it might have been a problem with our room however other guests reported same thing AND on 2 of the 7 days it actually was hot at one stage in the afternoon. We were in the main building on the corner, so loud music from the shows 10-11PM and you could faintly hear the disco from 11PM onwards.

Food - Simple and adequate, our expectations weren't high as we knew this was a budget all inclusive, so probably exceeded our expectations and there was always something to eat and a different theme every night so there was a bit of variety. The all day dining in the Italian server a very good pizza as well. Drinks - plentiful however not very strong...

Staff - Great

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank IslandCouple32
VivaWyndhamTangerine, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Tangerine, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting a note about your experience in our Viva Wyndham Tangerine, we really appreciate it, we are very happy to know you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you once again for your feed back, please keep in mind that it will be an honor to have you back.

Viva Wyndham Tangerine

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabarete
Ultravioleta Boutique Residences
#9 of 40 in Puerto Plata
Millennium Resort & Spa
Millennium Resort & Spa
#3 of 19 in Cabarete

Been to Viva Wyndham Tangerine? Share your experiences!