“Terrible”

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Cabarete
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I've been traveling to the Dominican Republic regularly (1 or 2 times a year) for nearly 20 years and have stayed in a lot of resorts, some good some not so good. This was by far the worst I've ever been too. Motel 6 hotels in the US I've been to are nicer than this one.

Staff varied from nowhere to be found to apathetic to rude (front desk gets that last distinction).
I really don't expect much. I expect the grounds to be well maintained, the food to be at least mediocre (it's a buffet), drinks to be readily available and a variety of things to do.

I came in as a "local" (there are different arm bands, apparently, depending on how you book). Perhaps that had something to do with my treatment, perhaps not, but the facilities were run down, food was nearly inedible (my children who will eat nearly anything, especially junk food) wouldn't touch most of it and there was next to nothing to do, especially for children.

Drinks were terrible and hard to get to boot (how hard is it to pour a beer...really?).

As a Wyndham Vacation owner, I'm rather ashamed of the company for this pitiful effort. Have some pride, Wyndham.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. There are so many good choices not far from here, a lot which are cheaper.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Marc P
VivaWyndhamTangerine, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Tangerine, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear Customer,

First of all we would like to inform you that we always respect our guest opinion and we do understand that not everybody could have the same experience during their stay, our objective is to try our best and use constructive review to improve the quality of our service.
We are truly sorry that your experience was not what you expected.
We thank you again for your comments and for have been part of our Viva Wyndham Tangerine.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Overall a great trip. Facilities were average. Food and beverages average. Price that we paid however was fantastic. A la carte restaurants ok. Beach fantastic and proximity to Cabarete a real plus. Staff friendly. Getting a beverage sometimes a lengthy process as usually only one bartender working on staff and occasionally a long lineup. Bring your own tumbler recommended. Many locals vacationing the week that we were there which was cool with the exception being that rules regarding kids at the adults only pool flagrantly disregarded. Security did nothing about this which was irritating. Also many small kids in the adults only hot tub. Had repeated problems with key card not working. Had to make 3 late night trips to the front desk to resolve. Seems to be an issue with their system but the comment was that we De-magnetized the key. Unusual as I've used these keys all over the world and never had an issue elsewhere. Some of the beach lounge chairs broken. Make sure that you get a good one before taking it to the beach. Animator good and volleyball games fun. The kite surfing directly on the Viva beach was amazing. Taking the local motorcycle taxis economical and fun. Booking a taxi at the front desk expensive. Walking the beach into Cabarete easy. Going the other way can walk for quite a few kilometers. Surf beach at Encuentro was cool. Weather great. Really liked the Cabarete area and the facilities at the Viva were adequate and again the staff was very friendly. Overall a good, relaxing vacation.

Room Tip: We initially had a room that was near the kitchen. Poor view and a bit noisy. We asked to be moved a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brad C

Dear Sir,

Thank you for publishing your comments about your recently stay in our property, Viva Wyndham Tangerine, It was great to know that our service and facilities was suitable for you. Is really rewarding to read your positive comments and we are glad to know that your stay at Viva Wyndham Tangerine was enjoyable.

Thank you for choosing our resort and for recommending us on TripAdvisor.

Hotel Management

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Just returned from a great vacation at this resort, the staff is the most friendly I ever met, good food selection, nice beach front.
My room had a wonderful ocean view, you should always pay for an upgrade.
The shows are fantastic and I really loved the beach walk to Cabarete, I had a great deal booking on Internet my vacation, great value!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Brian B
VivaWyndhamTangerine, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Tangerine, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear Sir,

We really appreciate your review published on Trip Advisor.

We are grateful for your remarks and especially we are happy to know that you had a great vacation at our Resort.

Thank you for recommending Viva Wyndham Tangerine. Please do not forget that we will be pleased to welcome you back at anytime.

Best regards,

Reviewed July 9, 2013

My friend and I were to stay at the Viva Wyndham Tangerine from May 20th until May 26th. However, the ‘resort’ and flew home early.

Upon checking in we requested a 2 bed room and the man at the front desk said, “okay no problem” however, when we got to our room we had a king size bed and a pull out couch. We called the front desk was told, “to call back again tomorrow as they were booked”. However, when we went to book a restaurant for that night (Monday) we were told the hotel was half capacity so both the specialty restaurants were closed on Mondays.

The condition of the room was old and rundown. 1) The wooden door to the room was so worn out and old that when it was closed you could see light pouring in from the outside. 2) The TV was broken. 3) There were stains on the floor in the bathroom. 4) We discovered cockroaches running around in the bathroom. 5) There was nowhere to put our shampoo or soap in the shower. 6) When we went to put stuff in the safe in the room we were told we had to pay $2 a day at the front desk to utilize the safe. With an all inclusive the key should be included. 7) The fridge in the room only had 2 bottles of water in it from the maid each day.

On our second morning when we were walking the grounds we came across some guy who said he worked at the hotel and that due to us checking in on Monday we were to take a tour of a new hotel (VIP) and we could switch hotels if we wanted to. We knew this was just a scheme to get us to buy a timeshare, however, the guy had a printout with my name right on top. The Viva Wyndham SHOULD NOT be giving my personal information out to other people for “special” offers. I booked with Viva Wyndham NOT VIP Suites or whatever it was.

When we were by the pool, there were no tables to put your stuff on. There were cement blocks that had so much dried alcohol on them that they were covered with ants and unusable. Also, the pool was to open at 9AM however, the pool man was still vacuuming the pool until 10:30ish every morning.

The towel rules changed every day. When my friend was returning our towels she was yelled at by the towel people when trying to get dry towels. The day before we had no issues getting a dry towel however on Thursday the rule had changed.

The drinks at this hotel were horrible (not a lot of variety, nor frozen drinks), the food was not ideal (we knew that going in) but thank god there was pizza, rice, and watermelon everyday or we would have gone hungry.

My friend and I paid the same price twice last year to go to Cancun and we did not have any issues. This vacation was cut short because it was not what we paid for. Upon returning home, we contacted our travel company, Wyndham, and Viva Wyndham Tangerine directly and received a refund for the days we did not stay at the hotel and returned home with no penalty.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank jillian h
VivaWyndhamTangerine, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Tangerine, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear Customer,

At first we would like to inform you that we always respect our guest opinion and we do understand that not everybody could have the same experience during their stay, our objective is trying to use constructive review to improve the quality of our service.
We are truly sorry that your experience was not what you expected.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

I usually travel to Cuba and Europe and this was my first time traveling to Dominican. I have to say that I had an amazing vacation at this resort. The rooms were very clean and we had fresh drinking water botles everyday. The food (buffet) was amazing fresh, lots of variety, so I never even bothered to eat at the other Restaurants. Staff were friendly always smiling. I was truly impressed with show staff, as they work very hard to practice and put up a great show every night. Same staff also worked during the day offering a ton of fun activities for tourists. I love the ocean so for me was a bit of disappointment not being able to swim due to the high wind and waves, but I did suntan at the beach and swim at the pool. I did had a lovely and rested vacation and will go back to this resort ay time. Thanks to all staff at Tangerine.
Tina
Canada

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tina S
VivaWyndhamTangerine, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Tangerine, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Madam,

We would like to express our deepest gratitude for your generous comments and for posting your review on TripAdvisor.

We are very pleased to know that you enjoyed your visit to our beautiful country. We are also delighted to hear that you are willing to be part of our group of loyal guests, whom year after year honor us with their preference in our Viva Wyndham Tangerine.

We look forward to welcoming you back in a very near future!

Kind regards

Reviewed June 22, 2013

A friend and I stayed at viva summer of 2012. A la carte restaurants were amazing. The buffet always had a variety of foods and snack bar was good too.
The rooms were ordinary. Only thing was a lack of hot water. It got cold fast. But room was always clean and had clean towels daily.
Very windy in the afternoon so expect sand in the pool from time to time. I'd suggest beach in the morning and the 18 and over pool in the afternoon. Although the ocean is beautiful and it's really nice to watch the kitesurfing. If you like sports.
Animation team...i was there for two weeks and only really got to know them in the second. They are nice and work really hard. Shows are wonderful and they are entertaining but they need to mingle more with tourists.
Grounds are great but lobby washroom was not working while there.
Wifi in front lobby and central lobby. Sometimes it took time but most of the time it worked well.
Close to downtown Cabarete. Walking distance from beach 10 min and its wonderful there. Just don't walk it at night.
Grocery store Janet's is also a bonus. I loved going there.
I stayed at viva once and rented a house in Cabarete twice. I honestly cannot say too many bad things about my stays.
And if your single be careful of what your promised. Make friends cause Dominicans are very friendly but don't expect too much in return!
I'm going back in three weeks but it was out of my price range to stay at viva. Going to try another hotel but its no way because I did not like my stay. I would come back.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Chant1973
VivaWyndhamTangerine, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Tangerine, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a note about your experience in our Viva Wyndham Tangerine, we really appreciate it, we are very happy to know you enjoyed your stay with us. It is a pity you won’t be able to stay with this time, however we appreciate your comments and we will share it with our Staff.

Thank you once again for your feed back, please keep in mind that it will be an honor to have you back.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

We usually go to Mexico in a 41/2 stars so knowing we were going in D.R. we were told not to expect to much, so we didn't. We were pleasantly surprised on our arrival. The resort is small but gorgeous. The ground is very well kept with lots of flowers everywhere. The view is amazing. The staff very friendly and the food always fresh and the variety quite impressive. The rooms were very clean, bathroom, balcony always made each day.
Why I would go back , for all the reasons above.And also the long walk and the restaurant along the beach. It takes a bit of time to get use to the town of Cabarete cause it is so noisy and with so many people going in every direction but after a day or 2 you get use to it. The people are very friendly.

Why I might not go back ,because we could not enjoy the beach for 2 reasons: 1) too windy, the waves were amazing to look at but try to swim in it was impossible. So you could just stay close to the shore and get splashed by the waves. 2) Too many venders. They are so annoying. Especially at the time we were there because it was not a very busy time they were all bothering us, one at the time. Very annoying. Because it is a public beach the resort can't do anything about them. I understand that those people need to make a living but there must be a way to accomodate them so they could have a booth and we could go to them instead of them coming to us.
All in all I must say we had a pleasant stay. And for the ones who complain well you must realise that of course you are not in a 5 stars, and for the rules they have, well all resorts have rules and you can inquire about them. The staffs are not perfect and they can sometime forget to mentionned them. So it is for you to inquire about them. Not a big deal.
Finally to the managers, hope you were able to find the trouble with the air conditioning in room 2414 cause you will end up with a major problem if you don't fix it. We had to do without for 3 days and they could find the problem. But when sparks come out of these things something worst is going to happen I can garantee it. We just couldn't explain well enough to make it a serious issue.<
Even with these issues I would still recommend this lovely smaller Resort.
Thanks for doing your best.

Room Tip: not in the main building and second or third floor.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Colette M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabarete
Viva Wyndham V Heavens
Iberostar Costa Dorada
Iberostar Costa Dorada
#1 of 40 in Puerto Plata
Sunscape Puerto Plata Dominican Republic

Been to Viva Wyndham Tangerine? Share your experiences!