“Viva Ordinary”

Viva Wyndham Tangerine
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Cabarete
“Viva Ordinary”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I purchased this deal through Living Social vacation and it was just an ORDINARY experience.

We arrived at the airport and was immediately taken to our transportation company, Turinter, that was a plus. Check in time was 3:00 PM and we arrived at the hotel approximately 1:30 PM but we were allowed to have lunch while the concierge stowed our baggage until 3:00 PM.

The exterior facade is beautiful and clean, the grounds are beautifully and lovingly manicured to perfection. There is a turtle pond and two swimming pools. The hotel is located on the beach and we had a spectacular view and could hear the crashing waves of the Atlantic Ocean.

The buildings are three storied apartment styled structures arranged in a courtyard style with an elevator as well as stairs for access to the rooms.

Free WIFI was available in the several common areas which was a plus although internet access in the internet room was available for a fee.

The room we were in was moderately furnished and decorated in a Caribbean theme; We had a few hiccups, the TV was not working properly and the air conditioner leaked. I would also suggest that the hotel add a garbage can to the room, there was only one and that was in the bathroom.

The bathroom had beautiful salmon pink tiles on the bottom half and floor tan tiles on the top half. There was a circular shower stall and HALLELUJAH !! a bidette, who would have thought; I have never seen one in all my travels. The lighting in the bathroom and in the room in general was very dim, bathrooms definitely need bright lighting, especially over the sink. There was also very little vanity space to put your personal items.

What I HATED was that there was no designated smoking area so if you were allergic to smoke or just hated it you could spend the whole day moving to try avoid the smokers.

There was a buffet food dining room where food was served at designated times and outside of those hours pizza and hot dog were available. I must say the best food was the pizza which was consistently good. It was baked in a wood burning oven and baked on site, Excellent !!!. While we were there from Tuesday to Saturday the meals went from hohum to bad only improving on Friday. Presentation is everything was definitely not a watch word for the kitchen staff. I know it was an all inclusive but the quality of the food was very poor. What saved me was most days there was a different stewed bean dish prepared Dominican Style. The cook was definitely heavy handed with the salt and the watered down juices were heavily sugared. I ended up making my own limeade daily with the fresh limes. I was also disappointed at not being offered much traditional Dominican dishes.

The daily activities were interesting both by the pool side and the exercise classes. The gym was a small room sauna style ...real hot !! but had the basic machines. It was a little irritating to sit by the beach as vendors were allowed to ply their wares and was sometimes too persistent, thankfully they were not allowed to enter the complex.

Security was very tight especially at nights where the officers were armed. I felt very comfortable walking through the plant covered walkways at nights.

On a whole the staff was very friendly and accommodating.

There was no in house information about the hotel or the daily activities and was advised to watch channel 94. Not very helpful.

Overall, I think the facility was clean, staff accommodating and was a good deal for my money. I do think that they need to work on the quality and presentation of the food.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
VivaWyndhamTangerine, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Tangerine, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Madame,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay in our Viva Wyndham Tangerine; we appreciate you took the time to write such detailed review, and we are happy to know that you had a pleasant vacation at our Resort. We consider your comments very interesting and they will help us to improve our services and facilities.

We apologize for any inconvenience that you might have experienced during your stay.

Kind regards,

Viva Wyndam Tangerine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Naples, Florida
Reviewed October 21, 2012

When we first arrived we were greeted by a person for a time share that originally in the beginning they did not mention anything to us about that all the gentleman said was we will take you to another resort where you will have breakfast and spend the day their never did he mention anything else so for 3 yrs of our time we wasted it to hear about the B.S.
The service from the dinning rooms were good but the food was very salty and the drinks were weak. Sometimes in our we did not get hot water in our room.
One really important message I want to say is POOR MANAGEMENT ALL AROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!! We had an important issue that we wanted to take care of and management had said to us that we will all sit down and go over what had taken place and no management stepped up to the plate. We were lied to. I am not going into details but I WILL NOT BE BACK AT THIS RESORT EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Customer,

At first we would like to inform you that we always respect our guest opinion and we do understand that not everybody could have the same experience during their stay, our objective is trying to use constructive review to improve the quality of our service.

Concerning your comments about a request to meet the management we couldn’t find this request in our record, we apologize if some of our staff did not follow up your needs, anyway please be advise that we have a Guest services desk open daily where you can express your complains or request and they report immediately to our Management each issue.

We are truly sorry that your experience was not what you expected.
We thank you again for your comments and for have been part of our Viva Wyndham Tangerine.

Viva Wyndam Tangerine

Travelers are raving about these Cabarete hotels

Apex, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Im not even sure where to start with this review of this AWFUL hotel....Lets start at the beginning....We arrived on October 12, 2012 at about 3:30pm, we were instantly greeted by one of the sales people for the time share property, at the time I didnt know that he was a salesperson, I just thought he was some one who was going to show us around the property....not so much. Well he showed us to our AWFUL, DISGUSTING ROOM, room 2607, when we walked in I was ready to turn around and walk back out. The room was falling apart, plaster was missing on patches of the wall, the tv didnt work even after fiddling with it, the comforter on the bed was torn, the sheets were a dingy white and the pillows smelled awful, the bathroom was gross too, fixtures were missing on the wall, the sink was small and there was no place to place your personal items and the shower was about 2 feet by two feet with sliding doors but one sliding door was missing and this gross shower curtain was hanging there.....when we opened the door to see our view which should have been an ocean view all we saw was the kids club house and the stage area where they perform their awful shows at night which are so loud its impossible to sleep. So we went back to the front desk and asked for another room, since we didnt get what we paid for and the reservation person was so RUDE, she told us they had no other rooms available so we would have to deal with it and then check back in the morning and they might possibly be able to move us....needless to say I was a bit pissed off, I have never in my life been told I wouldnt be moved because of problems with a room and my husband and I travel A LOT! We also had ants, they were EVERYWHERE in the room, it was nasty. Also be warned that you have to PAY to use the safe, this is something I have never heard of in all the traveling I have done, it is usually always safe. We heard of many, many people getting things stolen out of their room by the housekeeping staff, things ranging from clothes to credit cards and passports. BE WARNED!!! The hotel staff is very non-responsive to these issues and really could care less when things go missing.
They finally did move us the next day at around 2, to room 3117, which is located in the building that houses the buffet restaurant and the bar. It wasnt much better then the first room but we did have a nice view of the ocean. The air conditioning was leaking everywhere, we had to put down towels so that we didnt slip and fall! We called about this a couple times but no one ever came to fix it or even look at it. We had no hot water the whole visit which was just annoying!
Now lets move onto the pool, we changed into our bathing suits and headed to the pool, it was a mistake, it was caked with sand from the beach and so dirty, there was stuff (not sure what) floating all over the pool. So we headed to the beach, the sand was so hot but nothing we havent encountered before, the ocean was the saving grace of this hotel. The water was warm, a bit rough but nice and refreshing, we spent most of our time in the ocean swimming.
The food was absolutely the most disgusting part of this resort. The drinks were weak, I have never even heard of the liqours they were using, I also believe that they were watering down the alcohol. They also only had one type of beer, presidente, its pretty comparable to coors light, once again YUCK! The first night we ate at the mexican restaurant, it wasnt good and the mango margarita they give you was awful. Then we tried out the italian restaurant, it wasnt good either, my husband had a beef filet dish and it looked like lunch meat of unknown origin and the tiramisu was absolutely the worst I have ever eaten. The buffet restaurant was horrible, most of the items were unidentifiable and or inedible. The flies that covered almost every dish was absolutely disgusting!! I basically lived off lettuce, tomatoes and cut up avocado for the 5 days we were there. Plus the smell that comes from the restaurant is awful, it made me gag so many times over our stay and it is a smell I never want to smell again!!
There was no place at this hotel that was non-smoking, which was nasty, I used to smoke but this was insane, it was everywhere and people were chain smoking, the most popular place to sit and smoke was in the area surrounding the bar, every time you walked up to the bar you were walking into a wall of second hand smoke. Too much for me!
Needless to say, we will never be visiting this resort again, I couldnt wait to get on the plane and leave the Dominican Republic, there are so many choices when it comes to traveling now a days that its not necessary to be treated the way we were at this resort and no excuse for the lack of up keep this hotel demonstrates. I would NOT recommend this hotel to my worse enemy!! STAY AWAY, SAVE YOUR MONEY AND GO ELSEWHERE!!!! This hotel in my opinion was worse then a motel 8!

Room Tip: A different hotel all together!!!!!
3 Thank Heather M
VivaWyndhamTangerine, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Tangerine, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear guest,

We regret that you had such bad experience during your stay.

We would like to clarify to you and all the trip advisor readers that we have been investigating your comment about "may many people been robbed during their stay" and we guarantee that this information is absolutely unsupported by our record regarding the period before, during and after your stay, therefore we consider we can not accept such serious accusation which probably should have been first carefully verified.

We appreciate you took the time to write about your experience during your stay at Viva Wyndham Tangerine but we considered important to clarify such important comments in order to guarantee to all trip advisor readers a correct information.

Best regards,

Reviewed October 18, 2012

The staff that greeted us was very friendly and overall I was impressed with nearly every staff member we encountered. The rooms are just your average rooms but they are clean and what I would expect for the price. We had an issue with our air conditioning unit the first day and they got it fixed quickly. The beach and pool area are very beautiful and enjoyable. Be warned there are people selling items on the beach but if you aren't interested just say that and they will leave you alone for the most part. The buffet food was as many have stated underwhelming but it did the trick. Do try to make reservations at the restaurants as soon as you can, the food is better there and it's a nice atmosphere. The alcohol at the bar was not overtly impressive but the bartenders were nice and that helped out a little. The hotel is located in Cabarete and you can walk down the street for shopping and a few other places to eat if you wanted to venture out and about.

Room Tip: We were in room 2601, this is close to the bar and pool, nice enough view but if you are bothered by...
1 Thank Nvanbeuge
Dear Sir / madame,

Thank you for your feed back about your recently stay in our Viva Wyndham Tangerine, we appreciate your observations, I can assure you that all of our client’s opinions are very important to us because it is the more reliable source of information to improve our services and facilities.

We hope to see in our property in the near future, do not forget that we will be pleased to welcome you back at anytime.

Charleston
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We were asked to fill out a TA survey, I declined because I wanted to state my honest review. My arrival was late in the evening and the staff were very nice. I was told to watch ch. 94 for information about the resort. You'd have to watch it for an entire day to know what was going on there.The resort was in a beautiful place. Beautiful beach. Food was okay... themed dinners were the best nights to eat. Other than that... fend for yourself and get creative. Not sure why the passion fruit was ever served, there were always flies, in, out, or around them YUCK. Went to make reservations on two separate occasions for the special restaurants (la vela and the Mexican one) and no one was in guest services (annoyed). Drinks were good. Try the mama juana! The views were amazing. I loved the screen netting that kept birds away from the breakfast area. Although there was a cat that came out to eat every night. It was nice to see they took that step. Can't say the same for the La Vela (birds everywhere) The staff was very friendly. They were well spoken and made my trip enjoyable. They were never creepy (except 1 lol) Annoying vendors on the beach who bug you buy something, to get them drinks and ask for your toiletries. One vendor even got rude with me after I declined her some of my hair extensions. (awkward moment!) Other than that the beach is lovely. I live near a beach and it is beyond comparison. Wifi was only accessible in one spot. Not in your rooms. Beach party was fun. Could've had more of a night life. The room was mediocre. It was hardly furnished. I was in a suite and the furniture was subpar. The couch looked filthy. I never even touched it. They hardly changed the towels. The bed was comfy. The AC unit was noisy. But then I'd be complaining more if it were hot and no AC. So I took the noise. I honestly felt that they took better care of the grounds than my room. Best thing was the patios... Enjoyed the relaxation. Met amazing people...

My recommendations: Provide guests with a notebook in their rooms with the information of the resort (just like other hotels) and stop directing them to ch 94.
Change towels more frequently
Upgrade the rooms a little. New linens, fresh paint, flowers go a long way.
Increase the variety at the buffet and the snack bar.
Host special nights for locals during the week to have more of a nightlife.
Put more of those I <3 Dominican Republic t shirts (staff shirt) in the gift shop. Wanted one and they didn't have any... :(

In no way am I bashing the hotel... just my opinion. I paid for what I got. If they fixed everything on my list, Would I go back to Viva Wyndham Tangerine? Yes.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite located in the 11 building. Or any suites near the front of the resort.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Madame,

Thank you for sharing with us your comments on your recent vacation at Viva Wyndham Tangerine.
I can assure you that all of our client’s opinions are very important to us, because it is the more reliable source of information to improve our services and facilities.

Again thank you for choosing to stay at Viva Wyndham Tangerine.

Kind regards,

Columbus, Ohio, United States
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Me and my girlfriend arrived at the resort after a long drive there, we were greeted by friendly serve staff and checked in without any hitches, the bell boy showed us to our room and we opened the door to one of the most bare loneliest empty rooms I have literally ever seen in any kind of resort or hotel. Not only that, but the Living social deal was for a pool side ocean view, the building we were in was one spot away from the busy road. Pissed, i walked back to the desk to ask to be moved. luckily they moved us to the main building, which was much preferable. it had a great view and easy access to everything, I saw that one reviewer complained about the noise from the music, its to be expected for a huge resort overlooking the pool and bar area, but honestly it was not that bad.
We attended several of the shows that were put on by the resort and needless to say were not impressed at all by them, None of the dancers could stay in sync it looked very sloppy and honestly I've seen better shows put on by high schools. One of the female dancers we couldn't take our eyes off the entire time, because she had the ugliest manliest face I've ever seen on a girl, no joke, it was like the predator. with the dreads and everything, why they would use her for a entertainer i have no idea. She ruined most of the shows because she would scream (I'm assuming to pump up the crowd) but it just made the show worse.
If you are going to book any excursions or get a taxi, do NOT book anything through the hotel, I'm warning you now, you will be overcharged for everything. The taxi drivers you can talk to right outside the hotel and negotiate with them, the hotel wanted $100 for a ride to Santiago, i got a ride for $65 plus tip. excursions i wanted to go zip ling the hotel was charging $85 I got it for $70 by talking to a guy on the beach plus we got to see the monkeys up close and feed them, its called "monkey jungle" i'd definitely recommend it.
AS for the resort telling you about anything, forget it. WE found out our last day that they offered free windsurfing lessons and you could use the windsurfs for free, plus use the catamaran, and the kayaks for free as well. They mention they have Italian and Mexican restaurants, well what they dont mention is that, hey, you only get to eat at each one, once a week.....really? They also didn't mention anything about the shops and nice restaurants heading down towards Cabernet, you can see from the beach the nice bars and clubs down the way. Nobody even bothered to mention those.
Also Fridays all the cards in the resort reset, so after a long day of being at the beach and drinking we needed to get back and get ready for dinner because we had a reservation for dinner, we got to the room and really needed to use the restroom and surprise, we cant get in. have to walk all the way to the counter and another surprise. its PACKED, so i stand in line for 10 minutes to get my card reset and walk all the way back to the room to find out, guess what, it still doesn't work, so go all the way back to the counter and all the way back to the room and it magically works.
The alcohol, I will warn you now, not only is it the worst quality, worst tasting, but if you're looking to get a buzz or drink to get drunk, good luck. you might as well drink straight shots, we drank all week non stop and never got drunk once. and we hardly ever drink.
The resort constantly tries to up sell you to buy a timeshare at their "sister resort" and tell you they have a free gift for you to go visit for the day. just say no, save the 6 hours of your life and use it elsewhere. trust me.
No type of service at any of the restaurants or bars.
Our first day there our air conditioner went down and was leaking water everywhere, we only found out about this because we came back to the room to rest and found repair men and cleaning ladies in our room. after about 3 hours they had it back up and running.
Internet, good luck. you had to either be in the lobby where you check in, or the lobby of the main building. and even then, the internet would always cut out after about 5 minutes then come back a minute later, making it impossible to do anything besides check some email or check Facebook.
All in all, For the price, id say it was worth the trip just to get to visit, and do our excursions, but If i ever did it again, id book with a better rated resort. I think next time we'll just stick with a cruise. Good luck and hope this helps!

Room Tip: Choose rooms in the main building, most have an ocean view, you can hear the faint thump of music fr...
2 Thank Terry R
Dear Sir,

We appreciate you took the time to write such detailed review, we consider it could help us to improve our services.

Regarding the comment about the show we would like to inform you that our entertainment staff works very hard with a daily program which start at 9.30 a.m. until 12.30 a.m., we regret you did not enjoyed the show, our entertainers are not professional dancer but they do make their best effort for our guest. We guarantee you that our entertainment program has been frequently mentioned from our guest as very well accepted, but we do understand that every person might have a different opinion and we respect your.

We are glad that you partially enjoyed with a positive evaluation the value, location, sleep quality, room and cleanliness even if we were a little surprised that your last evaluation was scored only with one of a maximum of five, although once again we will use your suggestion to improve the quality of our services.

Best regards,

South Windsor, Connecticut
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband and I went there on a Living Social 6 night deal in early Oct. We didn't make a reservation ahead of time to get the hotel airport shuttle so we took a taxi that cost $35. Found out that if you don't take the shuttle from the airport, you can't get it back to the airport when it's time to leave. No biggie, cuz the shuttle is not free and you're only saving a couple of bucks any way. The view from our room was awesome overlooking the pool and the ocean. However, the room was dated and not that clean. The bathroom is huge but has a tiny shower and not enough vanity space for toiletries. The shampoo they gave us was watered down and no conditioner. The toilet only flushed some of the time. It was nice to have 2 bottles of water provided in the mini fridge.

I hated being harrassed by the staff to go on a tour of their "sister" property when we had told them we didn't want to go. We told them we didn't want any part of going to a timeshare sales fest and were told "oh no we just just want you to view our other property maybe for a future trip". Baloney, we knew it was going to be a sales pitch, which it was. Don't go unless you're looking to buy a membership.

Didn't like the fact that we could only make reservations for only 2 out of the 6 nights we'd be there for the the Mexican and Italian restaurants, and you can only make 1 reservation at a time, no making them days in advance. We arrived on Wed afternoon, and on Thur we tried to book a trip to Monkey Jungle for Fri. But we were told Fri was full and the next trip wouldn't be until the following Wed which we couldn't make cuz we were leaving on Tue. This was disappointing.

The buffet is awful and the Italian restaurant wasn't much better. I did enjoy our meal at the Mexican restaurant. In my opinion, the pizza was the best food offered. The buffet lacks alot of American type meats....no bacon or sausage for breakfast. The sausage they have was foreign to us! The milk tastes different and the waffles and pancakes reflect the difference. The best buffet items were the omelets and the pasta station.

The stalkers, I mean vendors on the beach were very annoying. I understand that's how they make their living but when I go on vacation, I want to relax and not be acosted by sales people. If I want to buy something, I will approach them, not the other way around. It ruined my beach experience and I felt confined inside the resort's walls to the pool. The pool area is nice and I enjoyed the music and the entertainment. We did get to enjoy walking the beach in the morning before the vendors showed up.

Had to make reservations to use the tennis courts and the rackets were beat up and the balls were old. One plus for this resort was the recreation staff. Several of them were very talented and very entertaining both during the day and in the shows at night. Loved the Generations show and the Michael Jackson show.

Honestly this vacation was one of my worst and I'll never go back here.

1 Thank CAGALL
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabarete
Viva Wyndham V Heavens
Iberostar Costa Dorada
Iberostar Costa Dorada
#2 of 41 in Puerto Plata
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,990 reviews

Been to Viva Wyndham Tangerine? Share your experiences!