“NEVER AGAIN”

Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Cabarete
Apex, North Carolina, United States
“NEVER AGAIN”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Im not even sure where to start with this review of this AWFUL hotel....Lets start at the beginning....We arrived on October 12, 2012 at about 3:30pm, we were instantly greeted by one of the sales people for the time share property, at the time I didnt know that he was a salesperson, I just thought he was some one who was going to show us around the property....not so much. Well he showed us to our AWFUL, DISGUSTING ROOM, room 2607, when we walked in I was ready to turn around and walk back out. The room was falling apart, plaster was missing on patches of the wall, the tv didnt work even after fiddling with it, the comforter on the bed was torn, the sheets were a dingy white and the pillows smelled awful, the bathroom was gross too, fixtures were missing on the wall, the sink was small and there was no place to place your personal items and the shower was about 2 feet by two feet with sliding doors but one sliding door was missing and this gross shower curtain was hanging there.....when we opened the door to see our view which should have been an ocean view all we saw was the kids club house and the stage area where they perform their awful shows at night which are so loud its impossible to sleep. So we went back to the front desk and asked for another room, since we didnt get what we paid for and the reservation person was so RUDE, she told us they had no other rooms available so we would have to deal with it and then check back in the morning and they might possibly be able to move us....needless to say I was a bit pissed off, I have never in my life been told I wouldnt be moved because of problems with a room and my husband and I travel A LOT! We also had ants, they were EVERYWHERE in the room, it was nasty. Also be warned that you have to PAY to use the safe, this is something I have never heard of in all the traveling I have done, it is usually always safe. We heard of many, many people getting things stolen out of their room by the housekeeping staff, things ranging from clothes to credit cards and passports. BE WARNED!!! The hotel staff is very non-responsive to these issues and really could care less when things go missing.
They finally did move us the next day at around 2, to room 3117, which is located in the building that houses the buffet restaurant and the bar. It wasnt much better then the first room but we did have a nice view of the ocean. The air conditioning was leaking everywhere, we had to put down towels so that we didnt slip and fall! We called about this a couple times but no one ever came to fix it or even look at it. We had no hot water the whole visit which was just annoying!
Now lets move onto the pool, we changed into our bathing suits and headed to the pool, it was a mistake, it was caked with sand from the beach and so dirty, there was stuff (not sure what) floating all over the pool. So we headed to the beach, the sand was so hot but nothing we havent encountered before, the ocean was the saving grace of this hotel. The water was warm, a bit rough but nice and refreshing, we spent most of our time in the ocean swimming.
The food was absolutely the most disgusting part of this resort. The drinks were weak, I have never even heard of the liqours they were using, I also believe that they were watering down the alcohol. They also only had one type of beer, presidente, its pretty comparable to coors light, once again YUCK! The first night we ate at the mexican restaurant, it wasnt good and the mango margarita they give you was awful. Then we tried out the italian restaurant, it wasnt good either, my husband had a beef filet dish and it looked like lunch meat of unknown origin and the tiramisu was absolutely the worst I have ever eaten. The buffet restaurant was horrible, most of the items were unidentifiable and or inedible. The flies that covered almost every dish was absolutely disgusting!! I basically lived off lettuce, tomatoes and cut up avocado for the 5 days we were there. Plus the smell that comes from the restaurant is awful, it made me gag so many times over our stay and it is a smell I never want to smell again!!
There was no place at this hotel that was non-smoking, which was nasty, I used to smoke but this was insane, it was everywhere and people were chain smoking, the most popular place to sit and smoke was in the area surrounding the bar, every time you walked up to the bar you were walking into a wall of second hand smoke. Too much for me!
Needless to say, we will never be visiting this resort again, I couldnt wait to get on the plane and leave the Dominican Republic, there are so many choices when it comes to traveling now a days that its not necessary to be treated the way we were at this resort and no excuse for the lack of up keep this hotel demonstrates. I would NOT recommend this hotel to my worse enemy!! STAY AWAY, SAVE YOUR MONEY AND GO ELSEWHERE!!!! This hotel in my opinion was worse then a motel 8!

Room Tip: A different hotel all together!!!!!
3 Thank Heather M
VivaWyndhamTangerine, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Tangerine, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear guest,

We regret that you had such bad experience during your stay.

We would like to clarify to you and all the trip advisor readers that we have been investigating your comment about "may many people been robbed during their stay" and we guarantee that this information is absolutely unsupported by our record regarding the period before, during and after your stay, therefore we consider we can not accept such serious accusation which probably should have been first carefully verified.

We appreciate you took the time to write about your experience during your stay at Viva Wyndham Tangerine but we considered important to clarify such important comments in order to guarantee to all trip advisor readers a correct information.

Viva Wyndam Tangerine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The staff that greeted us was very friendly and overall I was impressed with nearly every staff member we encountered. The rooms are just your average rooms but they are clean and what I would expect for the price. We had an issue with our air conditioning unit the first day and they got it fixed quickly. The beach and pool area are very beautiful and enjoyable. Be warned there are people selling items on the beach but if you aren't interested just say that and they will leave you alone for the most part. The buffet food was as many have stated underwhelming but it did the trick. Do try to make reservations at the restaurants as soon as you can, the food is better there and it's a nice atmosphere. The alcohol at the bar was not overtly impressive but the bartenders were nice and that helped out a little. The hotel is located in Cabarete and you can walk down the street for shopping and a few other places to eat if you wanted to venture out and about.

Room Tip: We were in room 2601, this is close to the bar and pool, nice enough view but if you are bothered by...
1 Thank Nvanbeuge
VivaWyndhamTangerine, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Tangerine, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Sir / madame,

Thank you for your feed back about your recently stay in our Viva Wyndham Tangerine, we appreciate your observations, I can assure you that all of our client’s opinions are very important to us because it is the more reliable source of information to improve our services and facilities.

We hope to see in our property in the near future, do not forget that we will be pleased to welcome you back at anytime.

Charleston
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We were asked to fill out a TA survey, I declined because I wanted to state my honest review. My arrival was late in the evening and the staff were very nice. I was told to watch ch. 94 for information about the resort. You'd have to watch it for an entire day to know what was going on there.The resort was in a beautiful place. Beautiful beach. Food was okay... themed dinners were the best nights to eat. Other than that... fend for yourself and get creative. Not sure why the passion fruit was ever served, there were always flies, in, out, or around them YUCK. Went to make reservations on two separate occasions for the special restaurants (la vela and the Mexican one) and no one was in guest services (annoyed). Drinks were good. Try the mama juana! The views were amazing. I loved the screen netting that kept birds away from the breakfast area. Although there was a cat that came out to eat every night. It was nice to see they took that step. Can't say the same for the La Vela (birds everywhere) The staff was very friendly. They were well spoken and made my trip enjoyable. They were never creepy (except 1 lol) Annoying vendors on the beach who bug you buy something, to get them drinks and ask for your toiletries. One vendor even got rude with me after I declined her some of my hair extensions. (awkward moment!) Other than that the beach is lovely. I live near a beach and it is beyond comparison. Wifi was only accessible in one spot. Not in your rooms. Beach party was fun. Could've had more of a night life. The room was mediocre. It was hardly furnished. I was in a suite and the furniture was subpar. The couch looked filthy. I never even touched it. They hardly changed the towels. The bed was comfy. The AC unit was noisy. But then I'd be complaining more if it were hot and no AC. So I took the noise. I honestly felt that they took better care of the grounds than my room. Best thing was the patios... Enjoyed the relaxation. Met amazing people...

My recommendations: Provide guests with a notebook in their rooms with the information of the resort (just like other hotels) and stop directing them to ch 94.
Change towels more frequently
Upgrade the rooms a little. New linens, fresh paint, flowers go a long way.
Increase the variety at the buffet and the snack bar.
Host special nights for locals during the week to have more of a nightlife.
Put more of those I <3 Dominican Republic t shirts (staff shirt) in the gift shop. Wanted one and they didn't have any... :(

In no way am I bashing the hotel... just my opinion. I paid for what I got. If they fixed everything on my list, Would I go back to Viva Wyndham Tangerine? Yes.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite located in the 11 building. Or any suites near the front of the resort.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Madame,

Thank you for sharing with us your comments on your recent vacation at Viva Wyndham Tangerine.
I can assure you that all of our client’s opinions are very important to us, because it is the more reliable source of information to improve our services and facilities.

We apologize for any inconvenience that you might have experienced during your stay.

Again thank you for choosing to stay at Viva Wyndham Tangerine.

Kind regards,

Columbus, Ohio, United States
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Me and my girlfriend arrived at the resort after a long drive there, we were greeted by friendly serve staff and checked in without any hitches, the bell boy showed us to our room and we opened the door to one of the most bare loneliest empty rooms I have literally ever seen in any kind of resort or hotel. Not only that, but the Living social deal was for a pool side ocean view, the building we were in was one spot away from the busy road. Pissed, i walked back to the desk to ask to be moved. luckily they moved us to the main building, which was much preferable. it had a great view and easy access to everything, I saw that one reviewer complained about the noise from the music, its to be expected for a huge resort overlooking the pool and bar area, but honestly it was not that bad.
We attended several of the shows that were put on by the resort and needless to say were not impressed at all by them, None of the dancers could stay in sync it looked very sloppy and honestly I've seen better shows put on by high schools. One of the female dancers we couldn't take our eyes off the entire time, because she had the ugliest manliest face I've ever seen on a girl, no joke, it was like the predator. with the dreads and everything, why they would use her for a entertainer i have no idea. She ruined most of the shows because she would scream (I'm assuming to pump up the crowd) but it just made the show worse.
If you are going to book any excursions or get a taxi, do NOT book anything through the hotel, I'm warning you now, you will be overcharged for everything. The taxi drivers you can talk to right outside the hotel and negotiate with them, the hotel wanted $100 for a ride to Santiago, i got a ride for $65 plus tip. excursions i wanted to go zip ling the hotel was charging $85 I got it for $70 by talking to a guy on the beach plus we got to see the monkeys up close and feed them, its called "monkey jungle" i'd definitely recommend it.
AS for the resort telling you about anything, forget it. WE found out our last day that they offered free windsurfing lessons and you could use the windsurfs for free, plus use the catamaran, and the kayaks for free as well. They mention they have Italian and Mexican restaurants, well what they dont mention is that, hey, you only get to eat at each one, once a week.....really? They also didn't mention anything about the shops and nice restaurants heading down towards Cabernet, you can see from the beach the nice bars and clubs down the way. Nobody even bothered to mention those.
Also Fridays all the cards in the resort reset, so after a long day of being at the beach and drinking we needed to get back and get ready for dinner because we had a reservation for dinner, we got to the room and really needed to use the restroom and surprise, we cant get in. have to walk all the way to the counter and another surprise. its PACKED, so i stand in line for 10 minutes to get my card reset and walk all the way back to the room to find out, guess what, it still doesn't work, so go all the way back to the counter and all the way back to the room and it magically works.
The alcohol, I will warn you now, not only is it the worst quality, worst tasting, but if you're looking to get a buzz or drink to get drunk, good luck. you might as well drink straight shots, we drank all week non stop and never got drunk once. and we hardly ever drink.
The resort constantly tries to up sell you to buy a timeshare at their "sister resort" and tell you they have a free gift for you to go visit for the day. just say no, save the 6 hours of your life and use it elsewhere. trust me.
No type of service at any of the restaurants or bars.
Our first day there our air conditioner went down and was leaking water everywhere, we only found out about this because we came back to the room to rest and found repair men and cleaning ladies in our room. after about 3 hours they had it back up and running.
Internet, good luck. you had to either be in the lobby where you check in, or the lobby of the main building. and even then, the internet would always cut out after about 5 minutes then come back a minute later, making it impossible to do anything besides check some email or check Facebook.
All in all, For the price, id say it was worth the trip just to get to visit, and do our excursions, but If i ever did it again, id book with a better rated resort. I think next time we'll just stick with a cruise. Good luck and hope this helps!

Room Tip: Choose rooms in the main building, most have an ocean view, you can hear the faint thump of music fr...
2 Thank Terry R
Dear Sir,

We appreciate you took the time to write such detailed review, we consider it could help us to improve our services.

Regarding the comment about the show we would like to inform you that our entertainment staff works very hard with a daily program which start at 9.30 a.m. until 12.30 a.m., we regret you did not enjoyed the show, our entertainers are not professional dancer but they do make their best effort for our guest. We guarantee you that our entertainment program has been frequently mentioned from our guest as very well accepted, but we do understand that every person might have a different opinion and we respect your.

We are glad that you partially enjoyed with a positive evaluation the value, location, sleep quality, room and cleanliness even if we were a little surprised that your last evaluation was scored only with one of a maximum of five, although once again we will use your suggestion to improve the quality of our services.

Viva Wyndam Tangerine

Travelers are raving about these Cabarete hotels

South Windsor, Connecticut
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband and I went there on a Living Social 6 night deal in early Oct. We didn't make a reservation ahead of time to get the hotel airport shuttle so we took a taxi that cost $35. Found out that if you don't take the shuttle from the airport, you can't get it back to the airport when it's time to leave. No biggie, cuz the shuttle is not free and you're only saving a couple of bucks any way. The view from our room was awesome overlooking the pool and the ocean. However, the room was dated and not that clean. The bathroom is huge but has a tiny shower and not enough vanity space for toiletries. The shampoo they gave us was watered down and no conditioner. The toilet only flushed some of the time. It was nice to have 2 bottles of water provided in the mini fridge.

I hated being harrassed by the staff to go on a tour of their "sister" property when we had told them we didn't want to go. We told them we didn't want any part of going to a timeshare sales fest and were told "oh no we just just want you to view our other property maybe for a future trip". Baloney, we knew it was going to be a sales pitch, which it was. Don't go unless you're looking to buy a membership.

Didn't like the fact that we could only make reservations for only 2 out of the 6 nights we'd be there for the the Mexican and Italian restaurants, and you can only make 1 reservation at a time, no making them days in advance. We arrived on Wed afternoon, and on Thur we tried to book a trip to Monkey Jungle for Fri. But we were told Fri was full and the next trip wouldn't be until the following Wed which we couldn't make cuz we were leaving on Tue. This was disappointing.

The buffet is awful and the Italian restaurant wasn't much better. I did enjoy our meal at the Mexican restaurant. In my opinion, the pizza was the best food offered. The buffet lacks alot of American type meats....no bacon or sausage for breakfast. The sausage they have was foreign to us! The milk tastes different and the waffles and pancakes reflect the difference. The best buffet items were the omelets and the pasta station.

The stalkers, I mean vendors on the beach were very annoying. I understand that's how they make their living but when I go on vacation, I want to relax and not be acosted by sales people. If I want to buy something, I will approach them, not the other way around. It ruined my beach experience and I felt confined inside the resort's walls to the pool. The pool area is nice and I enjoyed the music and the entertainment. We did get to enjoy walking the beach in the morning before the vendors showed up.

Had to make reservations to use the tennis courts and the rackets were beat up and the balls were old. One plus for this resort was the recreation staff. Several of them were very talented and very entertaining both during the day and in the shows at night. Loved the Generations show and the Michael Jackson show.

Honestly this vacation was one of my worst and I'll never go back here.

1 Thank CAGALL
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Cutting to the chase, it's been said, but the rooms are terrible (well I only saw mine). Filthy curtains and furniture, walls need paint very badly, things broken and rusty. Overall it was clean, but honestly when i was showed the room it looked like a sketchy motel in the U.S. and I didn't want to sit down anywhere. Not nice.

Weirdly, the rest of the hotel is better. The outside of everything looks nice and the buffet\bar\pool areas are nice, as well as the beach (well kept). So you shouldn't stay in your room on vacation anyway - BUT it should be a nice place to sleep. Also i have to mention there were 2 incidents of cockroaches in my room. They were the big "weather" ones, not little dirty ones, but still. Not fun.

The staff on the other hand is EXCELLENT. Francisco, Sammy, Luis, Rolando, all made it enjoyable and the Dominican people in general are lovely.
Food = only ok, like every all inclusive (I only ate at the buffet though in terms of all inclusive food)
Bar = Weird there is no swim up bar and maybe there should be more than 1 but overall, fine; great staff, drinks were fine
SPA = Amazing. I booked a $200+ service with body scrub, facial, massage, pedicure and manicure and let me tell you, all were great & you would pay 3x that in the states.
One FYI - the "concierge" is really just a ploy to get you to go to a time share "beach club" but the staff was very nice when i gently turned them down and said i didn't want my "free gift" trip to the club. Then they dropped it :)

I wish I had stayed next door at the Maraja restaurant and beach club. When i discovered it, i ate there 3 total times. Cute little pool area and GREAT restaurant (vibe & food and i love Luis who works there and DJ's during the days sometimes). Here's the thing though - this is owned by Viva but not included in the price at the Viva. :) Reasonable prices though (had an epic dinner for $60)

Beach Vendors = read lots of complaints about them but honestly this is how a lot of people in this area make a living, so just be friendly and politely turn them down and they were fine. Some very nice people.

Location = I booked two excursions through Iguana Mama online (not through hotel) - surfing and horse riding on the beach - both were VERY close to the hotel, so it's in a great location. 20 mins from the airport (puerto plata). The city of Cabarete is fun - went out one night with a local to a sports bar and had a good time, felt safe but wouldn't have gone out alone for sure.

One other thing - i was a single women alone on this trip and felt safe the whole time (lots of security around), except when i realized my door to the room had no bolt or latch, just a regular lock so any hotel staff could come right in with a key. Wasn't an issue but another reason to upgrade all the rooms if they want a higher rating and repeat business.

Overall though - i WILL come back to Cabarete and the D.R., just not this hotel unless they remodel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank samanthaabond
Dear Madame,

Thank you for sharing your opinion about your stay in our viva Wyndham Tangerine. We are truly sorry that your experience was not what you expected. Please be aware that your observations are very important to us and they will be considered in order to improve our services and facilities.
Please be informed that our house keeping department organize cleaning program every day and also we have a fumigation program for all the rooms to prevent the presence of any insects in the rooms. We deeply regret and we will make sure for this not to happen again.

We thank you once again for your comments; we remain at your service in case you need any assistance.

We thank you again for your comments and for having been part of our Viva Wyndham Tangerine, and remember that we will always be pleased to welcome you in our property.

Clifton, New Jersey
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I was just there over the weekend with a girlfriend and it was great. The resort was clean and the staff was super friendly. There were people from all different places, it was awesome to see so many different nationalities. The rooms were clean, with enough space and a really nice balcony. We usually hung out there listening to music and drinking in between getting ready for dinner. The weather was the best during our 5 days. It only rain once on Friday night but the rain lasted less than an hour and it was while we were back in the room getting ready for dinner.
Food was ok, nothing out of this world. They had a different theme every night which was nice. And the Mexican restaurant was really good. Just remember to make reservation for the Mexican place either the day before or the day off. And they are close Sundays and Mondays.
They also have a snack bar that runs all day. They have burgers, hot dogs, pizza and fries. We had pizza and fries everyday. I think I gain 6 pounds by the time I came back.
The vendors on the beach can be a little annoying but just say "No gracias", they usually go away, but they will come back. This is how they make their living. I was kind of glad the vendors came up to us, I was dying to do the zip lining and monkey jungle but the hotel could not make it work during the time I was there. So we ended up booking it with Sergio on the beach. They picked us up the next morning at the front desk at 8:30am and we were back by 1pm. It is definitely a must do. It was AWESOME!!!! The guides at the monkey jungle were very friendly, plus the money goes to a good cause.
The animation staff was also great. The shows every night wdere entertaining. They are not Broadway caliber, but there is some talent in there. The Michael Jackson show was the best out of the ones we saw. And "baby face" the kid impersonating Michael Jackson is an amazing dancer. They also had another boy who is obviously classically trained. They were a delight to watch. During the day the animation staff did a nice job trying to get the staff to get involve in games. They did pool aerobics, Sexy Juan Carlos ran volleyball games on the beach everyday and Scooby Doo was trying to get us to play some game with a golf ball and a bunch of colorful balls. I never really understood it, or played it for that matter. I got my workout walking to the bar to get drinks. The bar was open since 10am, the drinks were a little weak, but it didnt bother us since it was all inclusive. The disco is really small, but since it was during off season it was not crowded down there. The animation staff hangs out with all the guest to make sure everyone is having a good time. We will coming back. It was lots of fun.
Our only complaint is the water temperature for the jacuzzi. It was really cold. We also went to the spa to get manicures and pedicures. The staff was super friendly but the water used for our pedicure was cold and there were no massage jets while soaking our feet like we are used to in the States!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank dmsanc
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your nice comments about your stay in our Viva Wyndham Tangerine. We are pleased you had a good time with us and hope to see you here again soon. We appreciate your feedback, and please keep in mind that you will always be welcome in our property.

Viva Wyndham Tangerine
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabarete
Viva Wyndham V Heavens
Iberostar Costa Dorada
Iberostar Costa Dorada
#2 of 41 in Puerto Plata
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,990 reviews

Been to Viva Wyndham Tangerine? Share your experiences!