“Fantastic!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Cita del Sol
Toronto
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2009

My friend and I stayed at Cita Del Sol for 2 weeks from March 31 - April 14 2009. Our stay could not have been better!
The rooms and rates were great and Peter, the manager, was always very accomodating in every way. Anything we needed or wanted was always available.
We go to Cabarete every year, twice a year and Cita Del Sol was by far the best place we've stayed.
We were there during Semana Santa and right in the middle of all the action. Everything was within walking distance.
I've always loved this city and again, I was NOT dissapointed.
We will definitely be back and I can't wait!!!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2008

We stayed at Cita Del Sol a few years before and really liked just about everything.
In 2005 the place was a little run down but still charming.
When returned this year we were pleased to see the place had been really very much improved, with the same smiling staff and a great manager who all focused heavily on our comfort.
From what research we did there really was not anything close to the bang for the buck. High speed internet and cable TV, air conditioner and swimming pool and lots of residents who are all very friendly and like one big family.
We can not wait to return to the Dominican Republic and when we do we will be going to Cita Del Sol.

• Liked — customer service, pool, internet and location
  • Disliked — did not dilike anything
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Buenos Aires
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2007

I stayed with my wife at the hotel from jun 1 to july 15, 2006.
We both are 60 years old and we are from Argentina, we go to Cabarete every year since 1999 and I am a windsurfer and we love RD.
In june 9 at the night thieves entered our room when we were sleeping and they stole me my laptop and a backpack with clothes, the hotel manager gave me a voucher to go to the hotel at their expenses since they accepted their responsability in the robery as those nights they did not have watchman and they did not warn the visitors nor closed the hotel doors at the nights.
This year 2007 I wanted to go to Cabarete and use the voucher they gave me but they lied me saying the hotel will be closed and could not make any reservation, but checking sites and my friends coments I see it was always open so they did not honour their voucher and I could not use what they gave me.
Guillermo

• Disliked — Responsability
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MitoLagos
santa-clara, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2007

This was the only property in Cabarete which actually responded to my email inquies about reserving a room. Cabarete is so laid back that it seems most of the budget hotels don't bother responding or giving information [such as price and availability] to prospective guests.

So I picked Cita Del Sol, the price was right at $40 / night. The location was great, right downtown,
- across from Villa Taina
- across the street from the beach
- just half a block away from the bars [LAX]
- across from Breakfast and lunch places
- across the street from Internet cafe

The hotel is fine, room had a small kitchen/living room area with a TV, and a separate bedroom and separate bathroom. More than I needed since I spent all my time on the beach and in bars.

It was sufficiently clean, it wasn't a Sheraton, but it was certainly fine and acceptable.

Service was fine once I spoke to the American who manages the place [I forget his name, but he was great]. He told me where to get my money changed, sold me drinking water [only drink bottled water in Cabarete no matter what hotel you're at] and generally took care of everything I asked about.

These are individually owned condos, many of which are for sale, so I'm told the units are furnished and finished differently. Some people live in their units, others rent it out through the property manager.

I wanted a low budget safe place close to downtown and this was great. I could walk to the beach , walk to Windsurfing, walk to Kite surfing [a little farther up the beach] and walk to the clubs to eat and drink.

The only drawback was that this wasn't beach front ... that would've probably cost an extra $20 - $30 / night ... so I opted to just spend more time at the beach drinking ....

I look forward to staying there again next time I go.

• Liked — Cheap Price and Great location
  • Disliked — Simple, low budget,
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank CAkitesurfer
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2007

My husband and I just returned from a 6 week stay in Cabarete. (Dec - Jan 18th) We always rent a private apartment at Cita Del Sol. Since we have stayed there many times, we think this is the best place in Cabarete.

The apartment we rent is fully equipped with almost anything you could want or need. It is just like home, without the phone calls.
The cable TV has been upgraded and there are a lot of U.S. television programs now. They have a new planta or generator and it has taken care of 99% of the electrical problems. In fact, a lot of places that used to have electrical problems only have them occasionally now.

It is located near the center of town, with Internet cafes, restaurants, banks, groceries, a bakery all just past the front door. The grounds are beautifully kept as well as the delightful pool. The beach is across the street.

We were there for Christmas and New Year's, it was quite a different experience then in the U.S. I had never been away from home for the holidays. Being in summer like weather for Christmas was strange, but wearing shorts was a lot more comfortable then coats, hats and gloves. They had a great fireworks display on the beach for New Year's, however I did have a complaint about that. There were several places where they were shooting off the fireworks, but since it was so dark you couldn't see where these places were setup. I came close to being injured when one misfired and almost hit me. Organization is not always one of the Dominican Republic's strong suits.

There are many types of transportation available ranging from the "tourist taxis", local taxis, bus and motos. The only warning I have is, neogotiate transportation prices before you commit. If you think you are being overcharged just say no and there will always be someone else who will neogotiate a better price.

The staff at Cita Del Sol is the best. Very friendly, accomodating, and full of great information from where to eat and shop, including the best prices, to solving any problems we had. My
husband had to have emergency surgery in Puerta Plata while we were there and the staff was always concerned about his condition and always supportive. The apartments are very clean, and believe me I'm picky so this is high praise. If we had any problems they were taken care of just as soon as possible.

Whenever we go to the Dominican Republic, my husband and I think about going to another part of this large island to see something different. But we love the "Cabarete Community" feeling and always end up back there. Maybe we will try another part of the country someday, but we are happy in Cabarete.

2 Thank Cleo
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2005

This small hotel is located right in the middle of Cabarete about 200 meters from the beach, back away from the road with a large swimming pool surrounded by lush tropical landscaping. There are two restaurants with bars, one on-site and the other steps away that serve reasonably priced food. Rooms are ample one-bedroom apartments with kitchenettes and balcony. High speed internet is available in most rooms and all have cable TV. About half of the rooms are air conditioned. Apartments rent for $40-$80 depending on the improvements which range from newly renovated to some older units. The location is close to many restaurants, bars, salons, shops, pharmacies, 24-hour medical office, office supply store and several windsurfing venues. There is no need for a car as everything in town is within easy walking and taxis are nearby. Rooms are cleaned daily by friendly maids. Although not on the beach, Cita del Sol is a three minute walk away. This hotel is perfectly located, comfortable and it has a nice ambiance. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2005