“Budget friendly and convenient but.....”
Review of Hotel Alegria

Hotel Alegria
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Cabarete
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We were expecting a warm greeting from the owner's friendly family and a restaurant on premises as advertised in last year's website but found that the hotel was "in between" ownership and restaurant contractors. We did find fairly good value for the money with its easy beach access and a great place to have breakfast next door at the more upscale Velero Beach Resort.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robert W
AlegriaOwner, Owner at Hotel Alegria, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Hotel Alegria has a staff manning reception and greeting guests 24 hours a day. As many of the reviews indicate, the staff deserves as much or more of the credit for the friendly atmosphere at Hotel Alegria. As owner, I get to meet most, but not all guests, at some point during their stay.

I'm not sure where the guest got the idea that the hotel is "between owners". Perhaps because when the guest was here in October our restaurant was temporarily closed while awaiting the startup by the new crew, three women from Holland, who took over the restaurant operation in November. Since then the Alegria Cafe and Lounge has been among the top ranked eating spots in Cabarete according to Tripadvisor restaurant reviews.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Just back from another great vacation at the Alegria Hotel in Cabarete,great to see nmy old friends Raphael, Sam and Johnny and meet news ones, Peter the owner has made it even better with the addittion of the Alegria Cafe (they deserve their own review) an amazingly inexpensive cafe with incrediblely good food run by the 3 of the nicest ladies you will ever meet who will quickly become life long friends. The family atomsphere remains as was shown when i was having problems with my bank card, all the staff went out of their way to help and Peter even offer to loan me money if needed...never happen in an all-inclusive. I so evny the people like Papa Jean who are there for a couple of months. This is definetly the best place to stay in Cabarete,cliose to everything,great prices and run by great people Thanks everyone for another great vacation. Same time next year.

Room Tip: Rooms with air condition and kitchen facilities are availalbe....good idea with Janets supermarket r...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank jimjax2050
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Alegria a couple months back. I was with a group, and four of us were placed in room 15. I'm unsure what the other rooms are like, but this one was awful. Four twin beds, all in one room, no air conditioning (which I can handle), very old style bedding and decor. The vanity in the bathroom was falling apart. The drawers were all broken. The shower was dirty. I flipped on the bathroom light in the middle of the night, and 3 roaches were on the bathroom floor. I could hardly stand to sleep in this room, and wore flip-flops in the shower. Luckily, I had all of my belongings separated in zip-lock bags within my luggage. I suggest you do the same, if you stay here, to avoid bringing any "friends" back home with you.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
AlegriaOwner, Owner at Hotel Alegria, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Well that review certainly stung, but it did point out a couple of things we had overlooked in the large studio where the group stayed. We recently replaced 3 bathroom vanities where the drawers were not working properly due to warping from the humidity with custom made mahogany vanities. We evidently missed the vanity in the large studio and will remedy that right away. The report of the roaches in the bathroom was so unique in our experience or the experience of our guests, we investigated and found that the shower drain in that ground floor room was missing a trap that would prevent an insect from entering through the drain. That is being remedied as well.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Hotel Alegria is perfectly located- just a few minutes beach walk from all of the restaurants and bars on Cabarete beach (and right next door to Janet's supermarket). The hotel's private courtyard, 24/7 concierege (always very friendly and helpful), and wood burning grill give it a very quiet, private, and relaxing atmosphere.

The furniture in the rooms is slightly outdated, but we thought it added to the charm of the hotel. This is a perfect hotel for a fun trip for people looking for great location and not looking for a sleek/shiny resort.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Again I spent a great time in Hotel Alegria. Friendly people, proper and calm room made my stay relaxing. Te Hotel is very well situated, a very little walk outside the center of Cabarete, in a calm corner not directly on the street and close to the beach.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

I'm surprised how disparate my experience is than other TripAdvisor posts. I wonder if my room was outside the norm. I've stayed at other laid back, budget, mom and pop type inns and think I had realistic expectations of modest and maybe a little worn room, but my room was far worse. I also know that beachfront places don't age well and expected some rust, mildew, etc, but not to the extent I had.

At first impression, and I was here early morning for an afternoon check-in, I found the place charming. The staff was incredibly helpful, and although they couldn't offer me an early room, took me to near hotels at 4 am to check for immediate availability before letting me settle on the rooftop terrace where there was a common shower and bathroom I could use after a long travel day.

I then enjoyed my time in the common areas of the hotel, which have that charming, make-do vibe. Staff and guest scene was enjoyable.

I then received my room. The main part of the room was fine, with a decent view and balcony. The floor was still wet from mopping, but it appears they don't do much other cleaning otherwise. Inside all the pieces of furniture (like the armoire, which is the only clothing storage) was dirty, as were most other pieces of furniture, include cobwebs and dust bunnies on the walls. Now that I think about it, I never heard or saw a vacuum the whole time I was there.

Although I was on the third floor, there was no way for me to shut and secure my balcony doors. Not that one could easily get to my balcony, but you would not have to be a professional to do so. It did take away from my sense of security and the soundness of my sleep.

The bathroom was really bad, both in terms of surface cleanliness and from series after series of quick and sloppy fixes that compound layer after later and provide an extra sense lack of cleanliness. There were thick layers of sloppy and dirty caulk and touch up paint everywhere. Every grout line was black with mildew. The sink rested loose on the vanity, it's cracked caulk having loosened. The drain cover in the shower was missing and replaced with caulk with sharp metal sticking out. The room needed a thorough update of new tile, door, window, etc. beyond 1 hour fixes between guests.

I'm not even going to spend more time mentioning cheap and uncomfortable mattress/linens, beat up furniture, and water stains, as I think those are reasonable expectations for a cheap beach town inn.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Krivenburg
AlegriaOwner, Owner at Hotel Alegria, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

Our reviewer writes in a review of another hotel the following " I stay at Hiltons 50-100 nights a year, mostly for business, but with 2-3 weeks of vacation, usually at beach resorts. I can say this was the poorest experience I have ever had at any hotel, EVER, in my entire life". He gives this 4 star hotel run by Waldorf Astoria a rating of one, terrible. At least he gave Hotel Alegria a arating of two. I guess it is tough to satisfy a guest who spends a hundred nights a year sleeping in Hiltons.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

I had a great time. The staff was friendly, professional and very helpful. The rooms are in pretty good shape. Keep in mind its a 2 or 3 star hotel. So the rooms have everything you need. The hotel its self is very well situated. A super-market, the beach, dozens and dozens of restaurants, bars and shops are all walking distance. Most within a few minutes. The Alegria Café Lounge is a agreat addition to the Hotel! The lounge staff is very fun to hangout with. I would recomend this place to anyone and everyone. I would go back for sure:)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank mike r
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabarete
Hotel Villa Taina
#5 of 19 in Cabarete
Velero Beach Resort
Velero Beach Resort
#2 of 19 in Cabarete

Been to Hotel Alegria? Share your experiences!