“Perfect Place to stay in Cabarete”
Review of Hotel Alegria

Hotel Alegria
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Cabarete
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I have been to Cabarete the whole August 2012. I spent 4 weeks at Hotel Alegria and it was a really good decision: nice, clean and cool rooms, a friendly and quiet atmosphere. During my vacation I had to do some computer work, which was no problem at all because the hotel really has a great wifi connection there. Beautiful beach directly in front of the hotel. I also had luck with the hotel's kite school, called "Waterpassion". I took lessons there and I must really say that I have hardly seen a more engaged instructor anywhere else than Giuseppe from Waterpassion. He still gets wet instead of just instructing from the dry sands...

To put it into a nutshell: Perfect place for a vacation and especially for those who need a quiet place where they can do some internet work if needed.

Greetings to my bros Pepi and John, looking forward to see you guys again!

Chris

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank cmf900

Reviewed August 10, 2012

I stayed in Hotel Alegria, Cabarete with my girlfriend for 2 nights after reading reviews on TripAdvisor. For $50 USD per night, it was a great value for our ocean view room (unit 33). The room had all we needed: AC, refrigerator (bottled water included at no charge), private bathroom and shower, queen sized bed with clean sheets and pillows, a place to hang up clothes, a dresser with drawers, tv with cable, and a large ocean view balcony with a table and chairs. We were more than comfortable in our unit. The hotel also had a bar and restaurant downstairs with a good menu and fair prices. I believe there was also a jacuzzi although we never used it. The owner and manager were very nice and were willing to assist us with anything that we needed. In addition, the staff was very friendly and was able to arrange mototaxis if needed. I will definitely stay at Hotel Alegria during my next visit to Cabarete. They do not have their own water supply so make sure not to drink the tap water or even brush your teeth with it. Used bottled water to prevent getting a case of the runs. This is typical in the DR so no need to worry. I loved this place and will definitely visit again.

Room Tip: Unit 33 was great. It was just what we wanted at a fantastic value.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank W0rldTraveler954
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Wow! What to say... We went to Cabarete for our Honeymoon and stayed at Hotel Alegria on the recommendation of a friend. Our friend also recommended a newer, fancier, more expensive property at the end of the beach. We choose Hotel Alegria because it looked small and quite with a lot of character. Our friend also told us that the family and people who ran the hotel were great people.

Hotel Alegria did not disappoint. I have read some of the reviews on here that speak poorly of the furnishings, televisions, staff, ect. We didn't experience any of this. The room was exactly what you need for a stay on the beach. Tile floors and bathroom to keep things cool, clean shower with hot and cold water and great pressure, nice patio with furniture for enjoying evenings outside, safe (just in case), TV (never used because we were at the BEACH) and fridge. The bed was big, comfortable and clean. The linens were nice and well kept. Our room was cleaned daily and cleaned well.

We were impressed with the proximity to the beach and quite location. Hotel Alegria is close enough to the action to be fun and far enough away to not be loud. Plenty of dining options nearby and the super market is so close you could crawl there and back. We could see and smell the ocean from our room. No, it was not some expansive view from the top of some cliff, but it was a view and a great one. The grounds are well maintained and very well shaded for the hot days. We used the rooftop deck almost daily. It was the perfect place to go read. We never used the gym preferring to get our exercise in the ocean or on the beach. The hot tub was clean and worked well although it was a little too hot out for much of a soak.

We were there during the slow season. John, the Chef, was kind enough to prepare meals for us even though the restaurant was for the most part, closed. The food was delicious and well prepared. The Bar/Restaurant is where we spent most evenings sharing great conversation and laughs.

Most important are the people. People are what make a place, a trip, a vacation. The staff and people we met at Hotel Alegria were great people. We love meeting new and interesting people in our travels and at Hotel Alegria we met people we will call friends for life. I think the people who have stated they have had a poor experience with the staff aren't being completely honest with how they acted or act. A little common courtesy, friendliness and an open mind go a long way. We were made to feel like part of a family at Hotel Alegria and for that reason alone we'll continue to go back as often as we can.

Be honest with yourself when making your decision to stay at Hotel Alegria. It may not be right for you, just like the larger beach resorts and fancy hotels are not for us. It is a beautiful place, that we feel, was everything as described and more. We felt at home and part of a home. The experiences we created at this place are ones we'll remember for life.

If you love meeting people with incredible stories and energy, this place is for you. If you enjoy spending your vacation as part of the culture and place your in, this place is for you. If you are looking for a peaceful, low-key retreat, this place is for you. If you want not only a vacation but an experience, this place is for you.

Sorry if this is a little wordy or weird. We really didn't want to write a review but thought we owed it to Hotel Alegria and it's staff for helping us create such a memorable journey.

Room Tip: We would recommend the ocean view rooms not only because of the view but because they are a little c...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Scott H
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We rented the two bedroom apartment for our week's visit to family in the Dominican Republic. It was hot in June, but the AC in the bedrooms was terrific so we slept comfortably, and ceiling fans in the other rooms kept things nice. We had two family parties and the staff helped us to get a fire going in the outdoor fireplace for cooking, and the beach is an easy walk away. The yard was lovely with falling almonds and blossoms and a nice hammock and shaded porch and space for the 19 month old and his 8 year old cousin to explore in. One evening we enjoyed John's barbecued babyback ribs, and other times we cooked as the apartment had all the pots and pans etc we would need. Good food in the town was also not far away either. One day Rafael helped us to organize a little cave swim adventure at the nearby National Park which was fun and very refreshing. Others went to the 28 waterfalls a bit farther away and reported that it was terrific. The Alegria was just right for our family, everyone was very friendly and I hope we can come again before long.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank trudyfingerlakes_NY
Reviewed June 28, 2012

home away from home, and going back again, this will be our 4th year staying at the Alegria. and enjoy every stay. it is quiet, clean and hot water. and kia the dog is a friendly site.
it is close to the grocery store, access to the beach. if you were any closer to the bars, you would not sleep at night.
staff and owner are very accomidating and welcome you there. very private and safe, location.
see you in february.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank mavis k
Reviewed May 27, 2012

The location of this hotel was excellent for anyone who wants to be in front of the ocean but not in the middle of all the restaurants and resorts. The hotel is a little rustic but comfortable. The exercise area and hot tub was a joke so if you are looking for resort-type amenities, this is not your place, however the location made up for everything. Even though the ocean view rooms are nice, there are some palm trees in front of the balcony that obscure the view. We still enjoyed our room.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2012

After traveling for a few days in the Dominican Republic with my friend Peter, he insisted that we visit the Hotel Alegria for dinner. The ambiance, service and meal were wonderful. The price for it all made it taste and smell even better. That was quite a feat itself because the food was sublime.

Peter and I had the grilled Dorado Fish, which was fresh and flavorful because it had been caught that day. Peter's entree came with mixed vegetables, tomato salsa and mango chutney. I enjoyed the coconut rice and mixed vegetables with my mango chutney. Pete had a couple of Presidente Beers and I had a rum and coke.

The entire meal ended with Mamajuana drinks. This is a home-made brew of mamajuana spices, honey, rum and red wine. It was fabulous and put plenty of wind in your sales.

John, the restaurant manager and Peter Orr the hotel owner-manager were wonderful hosts and I believe I made a couple of friends along my journey. I will definitely travel all the way from Kansas City to eat, drink, laugh and enjoy a tasty slice of life again. It was definitely worth the trip.

Good luck to all and I will see you again real soon.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Gillies W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabarete
Hotel Villa Taina
Velero Beach Resort
Velero Beach Resort
#2 of 19 in Cabarete
The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real

Been to Hotel Alegria? Share your experiences!