“In disbelief of some of the reviews!”

Hotel Celuisma Cabarete
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Cabarete
Antigonish, NS
“In disbelief of some of the reviews!”
Reviewed February 1, 2011

I have stayed in this hotel on many occasions, so I was excited about returning for an extended stay over the holidays. I couldn't wait to see the renovations! And I was not at all disappointed. I am shocked to read the bad reviews on here, because that was not at all, nor has it ever been my experience.

Over all, the renovations have been terrific! The new a la carte restaurant was not yet opened while I was there, but it was looking good, and I can't wait to dine overlooking the pool on my next trip! They got rid of the disco in order to accommodate this new resto, but the nightlife continues...just in the sportsbar, and it was lovely. My room was located very close to the sports bar and I was never kept up with noise - except on one occasion. There was a group of early 20 somethings at the hotel for one week. They were loud and bossy and really did take over whatever part of the hotel they were in...and they kept me awake a couple of nights. But the sports bar shuts down at 1am...we're on holiday, that doesn't seem intolerable to me! And the hotel can't help it if the guests are crazy! Security did step in on a couple of occasions when it got out of hand, and I commend them for it!

What I loved most were the additions to the first pool...they added sun beds and billowy curtains hanging from trellises. It was gorgeous and adds a beauty to the place that I didn't even realize was lacking.

The grounds were in tip top shape as always, and everything (I mean EVERYTHING) was sparklingly clean. There were always people cleaning...the pools, the decks, the rooms, the lobby, everything!

The food was better than ever before!! There is always a salad bar, with a wide variety of vegetables, fruits and cheese. Then there is the main section, which always had a few varieties of meat, a few varieties of hot vegetables and the potatoe/rice/french fry section. One night a week would be Mexican night (but not everything was Mexican so those that don't enjoy that, could still have a variety of options), one night was Italian, one night Dominican, etc. The dessert section always had at least a half a dozen choices. Plus there was what we called the 'right here, right now' section. Here, you could find sometimes pasta that was made to your liking, sometimes it was roast pork, sliced in front of you, sometimes something else. Always a special addition to whatever was in the buffet section. Additionally there was always hot soup, 2 kinds, simmering and a whole selection of breads. I was there for a month and did not get bored and did not ever (not even once) have a bad experience with the food. Quite the opposite, it was lovely!

The hospitality of the individuals that work at this hotel is second to none. Even with a packed house, the wait staff would bring us our drinks, knowing exactly what we were drinking without us having to ask. If you wanted something different, they rushed to ensure you got what you wanted, and still made sure to top up drinks! The housekeeping staff is included...they are very thorough, and so genuinely wonderful! Ours even gave us a Christmas present of chocolates!

The entertainment continues to be second to none at this hotel. The nightly shows are put together so very well! Sometimes it's comedy, sometimes it's audience participation, and sometimes it's so mind-blowingly beautiful (you absolutely can't miss the Africa show or the Water Light show) that you just sit there in awe of the talent of Joan and his staff. The daytime activities are varied, and tailored to the guests...sometimes mini golf, sometimes volleyball on the beach, sometimes connect four in the restaurant! Does the staff run around asking everyone if they want to participate? Absolutely! Sometimes people wouldn't go join something, but if they're asked, they would enjoy themselves. They're not at all pests about it...they just want to make sure that everyone who wants to participate, has the opportunity to do so! And you know what? Everyone who does participate, always has a great time! The only thing I can say about the entertainment staff is that they seem to be overworked...in the past there were more people on staff, and I'm sure adding some more now would only make things greater!

The rooms are being renovated. I was in an unrenovated block of rooms, and even still, I had no complaints. My air conditioning worked. My tv worked. My bathroom was fine (by the way, it's a country wide thing to throw toilet paper into the trash can, not a hotel issue...you are in a 3rd world country people) and everything functioned exactly as it should have. I'm so shocked at the complaints on here...I had not one issue.

We think this hotel is an absolute gem and will continue to return here, as we have for years, because it is like our own little secret piece of paradise. I won't say "don't listen" to people on here who have had difficult experiences...but I will say that perhaps you should listen to those of us who keep coming back again and again. We're the ones who know the ins and outs, and we're the ones who wouldn't be going back if any of the issues presented on here were a reality. So enjoy your trip and be sure to say hello from us!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed January 30, 2011

Sorry to say this but it was a horrible 3 days when i stayed at this hotel! first when you walk in theirs this horrible smell, then you walk into the bathroom and they dont have any soaps or shampoos that they usually put in a hotel room, they only put two towels in the room and when you call 5 times for more they come 4 hours later (no exxageration) the rooms are very stuffy, many bugs crawling around and on the beds, it just wasnt a good stay we were supposed to stay 10 days, we left on the third because we couldnt take it anymore. the entertainment wasnt so bad and the workers were nice everything else was horrible. sorry i do not reccomend it you can find much nicer hotels around here.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank blondieo94

Travelers are raving about these Cabarete hotels

Yorkshire, England
Reviewed January 28, 2011

We stayed for the first week of January and the hotel is very good value for money considering how little we paid for flights and one week all-inclusive.
The setting is lovely, nice gardens and landscaping around the pools and a big airy restaurant.
The food was excellent, freshly prepared, not recycled and plenty of choice even for a non-meat eater like myself (plenty of fish, veggie and local dishes to choose from).
The restaurant staff were lovely, polite and very attentive as were the bar staff - special mention to Jose in the restaurant and Maria at the bar. We were not aware of the booze running out at any time, enjoyed the beer on tap and loved the BananaMamma cocktails.
Rooms: the first room we were shown was dingy and near the larger pool with loud music so we immediately asked to be moved to a quiet room with a balcony and were straight away taken to a spacious clean room with a huge terrace.
There are two pools and there were always free sunbeds.
You have to go quite a way down the beach to be safe to swim but it was a reasonably nice beach to walk along.
There are plumbing issues, and the hotel would be a lot better if the plumbing was sorted out (you have to put all toilet paper in a bucket as otherwise the toilet blocks).
At one point we had no hot water and at another the water stopped altogether. Also, the air conditioning didn't work in one of the rooms we were in.
Having said all this, any issues we had were immediately addressed by the efficient staff. I did see several disgruntled guests speaking loudly and rudely to the staff and I got the impression their problems were perhaps not always dealt with as quickly.
HOWEVER... we did encounter one major problem.
We chose an adult-only, small hotel complex without clubs and organised partying as we wanted a relaxing peaceful break, chilling, reading round the pool etc.
On arrival, we found that a group of 14 teenagers were staying at the hotel who behaved like spoiled brats. They were rude, loud, overbearing - and they were there to party. We saw them clicking their fingers at staff and ordering them around and they took over whichever part of the hotel they were in. They fell over in the bar, left pools of sick by the restaurant and staggered up to talk to other guests when totally wasted.
I wouldn't mention their nationality, except they made a point of it themselves by singing the Canadian national anthem at 2am. When we complained to the hotel staff the next day, we were moved to another room further away.
I don't blame teenagers for wanting a drunken party holiday (though clicking fingers at staff is pretty unforgivable) but I know we weren't the only ones wishing the hotel hadn't taken their booking.
We had one lovely quiet day after they'd gone before we set off ourselves to another part of the island.
We did hear other guests complaining there wasn't enough entertainment, whereas we could have lived without the karaoke and the entertainment staff badgering us to join in daft balloon games.
Perhaps the hotel simply needs to go one way or the other - and decide whether it wants to be a quiet retreat from the bustle of Cabarete or a party hotel for people needing to be entertained.
I'd like to recommend the hotel for the food, staff and setting but because of the above comments I'm afraid I've have had to click the thumbs down.

United kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2011

This hotel in a nutshell is beyond poor. I have never experienced a hotel quite like it. Please take time to read this review before thinking of booking!

Several of the the reviews on here stated the hotel rooms were poor and in need of repair etc however we were informed that the hotel has recently been renovated so we bit the bullet. we wish we hadn't........

The hotel room was very basic with uncomfortable beds which contain several nasties so you wake up full of bites. (these were not mosquito's but some other form of nasty creature) The furniture is falling apart and sockets with live wires hang out of the wall.
Our first room had no working air-conditioning unit and looked like it would fall at any moment. The ceiling fans are so dirty that when you turn them on, the walls get covered with black gunk. I had us moved to another room which cosmetically was a little better (lick of lime green paint ) however the Toilet flooded, only the bathroom had a working light in so we had to use the light from our phones to see what we were doing at night. I went to complain again and I enquired about the renovated rooms to be told they could not finish the renovation and need to close the Hotel again to finish off! However they had painted the lampshades in the rooms to match the new lime green paint

The food was basic but acceptable.It was a bit repetitive and you could notice fish and meat being reheated and reused. The hotel claimed to have a buffet restaurant and two al a carte, however the reception desk said they have only have the buffet area and one al-a-carte which was closed whilst we were there.

The hotel only has two bars. no beach bar as advertised. They ran out or beer until 6pm one day and had no rum for the whole stay. They also ran out of Coca cola, vodka and water from the cooler. The hotel does not have water in bottles available so you need to buy from the little shop. This is only open till 7pm.

The animation team were constantly hounding us to play games and just wander through the buffet, whist eating, shouting "hola hola coca cola" much to the annoyance of my wife! The Staff also pick at the food available which is not a problem to me but doesnt give off a professional image.

Most of the staff were unhelpful and claimed not to speak english, Unfortunalty they dont seem to understand spanish either so i would say it was more ignorance than a lauguage barrier.

The beach is private although the sea is too rough to swim in. It was closed with a red flag and the hotel told us not to swim due to the dangerous undertow. The beach sellers pester you to buy cheap tat from them for rediculously high prices which the same items in cabarete town cost a fifth of the cost! They constantly hound you to have your hair braided or buy a massage and after the fourth time of saying no. we moved from the beach. The beach does have wild dogs running around, barking and doing their business all over the sand,

After bringing our complaints to the management, we were pointed to the rep as the problem with understanding english people had spread to the front desk! The rep "Felix" was not interested in people complaining and told us and others he was only there to sell excursions. He refused to move us so we made arrangements and jumped in a taxi to nearby Sosua and booked a much nicer hotel so our holiday wasnt completely ruined. We met several couples who were not impressed and everyone was being moved. Everytime I went near the reception, there was always someone complaining about something.

The only positives i would say is that The pools were clean and the grounds were kept in good order. The hotel looks nice from a distance and on the internet photographs but its in desperate need of demolishing and starting again!

Please note that this hotel is the sister hotel of the Celuisma Tropical Puerta Plata which we heard was not much better and some of the photographs on the internet advertise this hotel as the bigger one. It is rated as 3 stars and some travel agents rate it as four! It is a two star and that's pushing it!

I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy. I will say though that the people who has written reviews on here questioning the bad reviews, need to check they actually stayed at this hotel because of the several people we met there, all managed to move to better quality hotels due to the standards of basic ameneties (or lack of them)
Im sorry but this is not the dominican standard and its a shame the hotel hasnt been condemned and closed down.

Please take notice of this and contact me if you require any further info regarding the experience.

2 Thank Jamesnluci
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed January 25, 2011

We got back the 22 jan 2011.
When we got there on the 15 jan at 0h30 we were greeted by a security guard that barely spoke English. He gave us are room. When we walked in the AC wasn’t working, so we turned it on but no cold air... The wash room had toilet paper on the floor, the sink was full of hair and was soiled, no soap or towels.
The fridge did not have anything in it and no bottle water.
So we went back to the lobby and asked to fix it so we could go to bed. They gave us a beach towels and a bar of soap but could not do anything about the AC and the bottle water.
It took them 6 days to fix the AC and could not change us rooms before.
The TV in the room did not work for 4 days.
As for the food we ate chicken and rice for 6 days and the A LA CARTE restaurant had only one choice, Thai food, only one menu, and was only open every 3rd day.
For the staff they barely spoke English.
For one of the supper we asked twice for wine and never got it.
As for the beach you can not go for a swim, it is too violent and you can not relax on the beach because of the local vendors are always after you. There are stray dogs on the beach that do there doo doo....
At the reception we tried to change some money but they don’t have any money so we asked the boutique and they didn’t have any.
As for the bar not to many choices, beer when they had some, you asked for a drink and if, I say and if they understood what you wanted, they would give it in a small plastic glass that they had just rinsed it from the previous costumers in a bucket under the counter. And for specialty drinks, forget about it.
Volley ball on the beach, 2 pool tables and a ping pong tale that was it for fun.
And what is around the hotel only closed hotels not much more.
At the end of are stay we asked for and extension to are room because we were leaving only at 19h00 and they told us it was 15$ an hour more. We asked them if they had a curacy room but not.
For an adult only hotel we say lots of kid there.
We do not recommend this hotel.

3 Thank k-kroot
Keswick, Canada
Reviewed January 18, 2011

Just got back from a weeks stay.
It's a 3 star hotel that could be a little more with some minor improvements.
The pros:
A nice and quiet hotel off the beaten path.
Adult only, though there were a few minors seen, I suspect they were children of the employees.
The food, by far the best food I've seen at a 3 star in the D.R. Much time and effort went into the preparation and presentation at all meals and the wait staff are wonderful.
The daily variety of selections was above normal also.
Much appreciation to the security staff who gave us drinks and snacks after our late arrival when the bar was closed.
Attentive front desk staff who responded to every question and request.
Most of the staff seemed concerned about us having a safe and pleasurable stay.

The cons:
The hotel could use a little more attention to the upkeep of maintenance.
Simple things, like missing or blown lightbulbs, replacing faulty plumbing fixtures, supplying stoppers for the sinks, fixing broken window hardware. Instead they seemed to care more about hosing down the concrete walkways, for hours, daily.
The constant smell of sewage in certain walkway areas of the resort.
The bars are sadly lacking in supplies. The 2 bars share 1 blender with the kitchen!
If you want a blended drink you'd better hope it's not being used elsewhere.
The bar staff could use more english language comprehension.
The bars are ALWAYS running out of something! Beer for hours, then coke, then RUM!!! , then ice for almost a day. Don't ask for any fancy mixed drink, chances are they don't have everything they need for it and besides the kitchen has the blender.
The bars are the weakest point of this hotel.
The dining area is divided into smoking/non-smoking areas, poorly and improperly signed.
The smoking side is sadly lacking in ashtrays, if you find one hold onto it!
Salt and pepper shakers, 1 of each for every other table. You are constantly on the lookout for shakers from other unoccupied tables.
And my number 1 complaint of dining? No coffee until 7:30 a.m.!!!!!!!
The grounds are well kept but another annoyance is allowing the local peddlars to set up their wares right in front of the buffet, 5 days out of 7!.
These simple areas of concern should be addressed.

1 Thank kevswick
UK
Reviewed January 15, 2011

Just got back after 2 weeks here i had read all the bad reviews and was dubious.. Well what can i say except the people that wrote those reviews must have been born with a silver spoon in their mouths!!!
If you want great food, Great staff , All you can drink alcohol you cant go wrong!!!
The food was great everyday.. Always a good selection and the service was 100%.. You wont go hungry here as you have breakfast , lunch and dinner and snack food at 4pm on bbq..
2 amazing pools
Private beach
Good clean rooms with comfortable beds.
Maid service everyday!!
Im not sure if this hotel is under new management and thats why there a a few bad reviews but my experience was great and cannot fault it.
The town is a 5 min drive and the hotel has moto taxis or reg taxis outside waiting or you can get the free bus.. If you get a moto taxi make sure you only pay 100 pesos!!! Make sure thats what you hand them if you give them a bigger note do not expect change!! (This is the best tip i can give you)
Hotel has internet in the shop which is also very cheap and an added bonus.
If your not used to living the high life then what your getting here is great..
I would recommend this place to anybody going to Dominican.
Entertainment staff were amazing too.. Well all the staff go above and beyond and wil become firm friends after a few days.
Enjoy your trip and ignore the bad reviews this hotel does not deserve them.

1 Thank sunseasurfUk