“VERY FAR AND VERY WORN”

Hotel Celuisma Cabarete
Ranked #19 of 22 Hotels in Cabarete
Reviewed November 8, 2012

The hotel seemed to be priced better than the competition and the reasons became clear soon after arrival. The hotel is located very far from the center of Cabarete ($10 cab ride) and at night it is a scary journey back down dark unlit roads. The room was peeling and cracking and badly in need of updating. The breakfast was decent. Had I known what I now know, I would have stayed somewhere else. I thought I was saving money but I nearly lost my mind.

Room Tip: Just say no.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank santiagoguy
There are newer reviews for Hotel Celuisma Cabarete

Reviewed October 20, 2012

i have been traveling to DR a couple times and have stayed at different resorts and this one by far was the worse.... stayed at this resort for 2 nights. had to wait more than an hour to check in considering there was only 2 person infront of me. after checking in went to the room hoping to relax after traceling for good 2 1/2 hours from sdq, but the room was disgusting and filthy. dust all over and the sheets were nasty and brownish. then the bathroom was disgusting and toilet didnt flush. food was ok i guess. decided to book to eat at the restaurant i think it was a jamaican resto. the food was horrible that we left in the middle of eating and went to the buffet instead.

not only everything was bad but one of the guest got robbed in her room. stole her money and belongings. she asked the manager to help her and call the police so she can file a complaint and the manager just turned away and refused to call maybe they were scared to be held responsible. poor canadian lady who was a missionary for santiago was left on the curb crying. being a good samaritan, had to asked what was wrong and that was the story. i was livid... this place is not safe. she had a feelin lg it was one of the staff coz she made sure her patio door and front door was closed before she left. JUST PLAIN HORRIBLe!!!!! THIS PLACE SUCKS!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2012
5  Thank gemika79
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I don't recommend this hotel at all. First it's not really located at Cabarete so you need a car to go in to town. The food is terrible. The room conditions are very poor. This hotel has a lot of potencial but it needs to be remodeled urgently!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jennifer_Decamps
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I just wanted to let everyone know that this hotel is NOT located in or near Cabarete town. It is approximately 25 minutes down the highway and in a very isolated area. Many travel sites have the place mapped incorrectly and even Google Earth has it marked as right down town in Cabarete.
I originally booked at this hotel and when I discovered it was located in a depressed and scary part of the coast I immediately changed hotels. This area contains miles and miles of abandoned hotels and resorts... it's very bizarre - like a ghost town.
Local Domincans live all around the hotel in their small shacks next to these crumbling resorts.
Since I was travelling alone and had no car, it would have been awful to stay here.
Happy Travels.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank ElleFlaneur
Reviewed May 13, 2012

I booked a birthday weekend away for my daughter and her friends. When they arrived they were checked in only to find a couple having full on sex in the pool, this went on for hours. My daughter was then called to reception to be told Sunwing had contacted them to inform them not to let them in as the payment had not gone through. I reconfirmed with my daughter the booking confirmation receipts from sun wing and verified with my bank the funds had been withdrawn from my credit card. In the midst of all of this as there were few guests at the resort, service was appalling, only food available at certain times, no shuttle to Cabaret as it had broken down and the list goes on, no phones in room, mini bar not stocked, their idea of juice is sugar and water.....and the couple is still having sex in the pool (other pool is too dirty to swim in). They (my daughter and friends) had had enough and wanted to leave but were told they could not without a credit card payment WTBleep!!!!!! This has already been paid for! Sunwing could not be contacted, I sent emails to them, and they have no emergency number. When I asked resort for fax and email address to get them my credit card so my daughter and friends could leave this awful resort, they said they had no fax or email but gave me a local workers hotmail address to kindly send my credit card details to...!!!! I finally sent a long email to my daughter to pass on to the resort again with copies of sunwing confirmations that this had been booked and paid and they insisted on still charging my card so everyone could leave without calling in the local police. A nightmare, a fun planned birthday weekend has turned into a disaster, I have been charged twice now and have no contact with sunwing until tomorrow. This is disgusting, I would not recommend this resort, yes it is a lower budget one but still has guarantees as per the sunwing site and nobody deserves this sort of treatment. Recommendation: stay away.

Room Tip: No do not book here! Sleep quality low as how can you sleep when you are stressed out!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
11  Thank peanut63
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We stayed at this hotel In March of 2012 . It is located some ways outside Cabarete, however as we had a jeep , the trip to the hotel was no problem. When we checked in , we had to pay in pesos or American dollars, which was not a problem, but would have preferred to pay by credit card. The pool area was great, with lots of chairs from which to choose. We certainly liked the bubble pool at the end of the main pool. The food was mainly by buffet,, which certainly had a Dominican flair to it. One could make reservations for a sit down meal, which we did and enjoyed it very much. The staff at this hotel is its main asset. All were just great, and helpful in every way. The beach is right on the open ocean, which tends to be windy , unlike say Sosua beach which is sheltered. Down the road from this hotel is LA BOCA, where there is a Flintstone restaurant. Best fish in the world, so says my son from California. All in all a good place to say but rather isolated. Tours are available by checking with the man across the road from the hotel. Good place to stay if regular food is ok for you. The hotel needs some upgrades and tweeking, but is certainly good value for the money.

Room Tip: Choose a room around the pool area.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank mcaldwell2016
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Our room was on the ground floor by the pool (room 301) and was in need of painting and rejuvenating but was very clean including the bathroom and yes, the ceiling fan DID wobble. We had problems with the toilet leaking the first day and the A/ C not working the next but each problem was resolved in less than 20 minutes. The food was not bad but repetitive. The beach behind the hotel was clean and you could have a great nap under the shade in the cool breeze which blew all day. You had a choice of two pools to swim in, one at either end of the hotel.

The animation team was very entertaining and involved everyone in dance lessons, Spanish classes and games during the day and at night, put on skits which sometimes involved the audience members which turned out to be a riot sometimes. I must say that all the members of the animation team were very upbeat and friendly and greeted everyone in the mornings and afternoons in the dining room with a hug and a kiss. The other staff members were always very helpful and smiling. ...the front desk, not so much..... but still very accommodating. We didn't like the room we were given when we first got there but changed it with no problem.

I can see why many people return year after year. The atmosphere is like a big family gathering. I miss that place and the staff, crappy food and run down room and all but it was informal and very relaxing especially around the pool and at the beach. Don't expect a five star hotel and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends