Kite Beach Inn
Ranked #5 of 30 Cabarete B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

If your a guy or girl going there just to kite then this is the place for you. If you are the spouse of the kiter, it isn't that pleasant. The room we had did have air conditioning not all rooms do. We are a couple and had to push 2 twin beds together. The shower has no curtain or door so when you shower the whole place gets soaked. The plumbing there also is not too good. If you go to the bathroom make sure the water in the toilet has completely stopped running or you will come back to a room full of water. So if yr a kiter just looking to crash this is perfect!! Staff is wonderful.

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank cattyb1313
LCSTravelReview, Owner at Kite Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

First of all, I would like to thank our guest for taking the time to write a review. Based on the room description, I believe this particular guest stayed at a standard room with air conditioning. As stated on our web page, all our standard rooms have 2 single beds. We do have queen sized beds for couples in ocean view rooms and ocean view studios. Also, not all guests require air conditioning, so we give our guests the option to choose with or without AC at a cost savings, without AC, at USD $10/night. A fan is in the room if a guest chooses the no AC option. We have 2 standard rooms with no bathroom door. These are in the renovated buildings where the wall space is non standard and we have yet to find doors that fit but this is on our improvements wish list. We opted to use glass blocks with a small opening in lieu of shower curtains in some rooms, this is purely a design decision. Regarding the plumbing issue, our maintenance staff would have tried to get that fixed if it was brought to our attention. A room full of water is definitely not what we want either. To summarize, Kite Beach Inn offers many room categories to meet different budgets and needs. I am confident we can find something to your liking if specific requests are made at the time of booking. This being said, we are not a luxurious hotel but one that is comfortable and right on Kite Beach. I would like to close by thanking our guest again for taking the time to write the review.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

From the beginning, they were flexible and helpful. The room was great. Clean and in very good condition. Everything worked great. Balcony had view of the ocean. Very beautiful at sunrise, if you can get up that early. You could hear the noise as cars/motorcycles passed by, but the a/c covered most of it and it really wasn't an issue. Great value. Pillows kind of lumpy, but the bed was comfy and the towels were big and thirsty. Very different than what I'm used to in non-traditional hotels. We had a car which made life easier to get into town since we kitesurfed in that area and ate there as well. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend or stay again.

Room Tip: We had room 311.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2013

The place is perfect for kite vacation: right on the spot, place to let dry the kite and clean our gear... and a little bar for a drink after a good session!
The ownwers and the staff are doing all they can to make our stay easy and confortable. The pool is well maintained, the place is clean and our room was what we needed: kitchenette, frigo, place to put our kites,... Sizes of the room depend of the price.
We'll return for sure!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Jim and Lucy are super accomodating as are all of the staff at Kite Beach Inn (not to be confused with Kite Beach Hotel or Kite Club). Furnishings are modest, but super clean. We did have an air conditioning problem, but everyone worked dilligently to fix the problem and the security manager stayed in the room to make sure our stuff was safe. I wish I knew his name, but he was all over the place watering and cleaning. Very chill atmosphere here. Guests are super nice kiters. I do agree with a previous poster that if you get a room by the road (new building) you are gonna get a lot of noise from the road. People here drive one stroke engine motorbikes everywhere that give off a high pitched whine. I would recommend bringing book lights as there aren't any lamps so you have to turn on the overhead light to read and that might bum out your roomate who is trying to sleep. The restaurant has just changed hands so stay tuned for reviews of the new Coco Loco but you can eat next door at the marvelous Kite Club Cafe or 2 minutes walk at Chicigua which was rated #1 in restaurants. So fun to watch the kiters learning and soaring all day.
If you want to go to the downtown you can walk there in about 20 minutes on the beach. It is not recommended to walk in the dark on the beach, but you can take a cab for about $7. Jo, the receptionist, kissed me good bye Italian style when we left. I was very touched.

Room Tip: the rooms are all totally unique, I would get a room in the old building to be away from the road.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 28, 2013

After reading the reviews here, I had high expectations of staying at the Kite beach inn.

The locations is good, if you all you want to do is kitesurf, but if you want to get into town quickly for a bite to eat, then the 20 minute walk into town gets a bit lengthy the 3rd day.

There were 2 things that I really didn't like about the inn:
The noise levels in the evening was way beyond acceptable, the rooms have zero noise insulation from fellow guests, and because it's right next to the road, you hear all the traffic.

The biggest issue I had with my stay though was the cleanliness of the place. Hairs from the previous guests all over the bathroom and sink and crawling insects in my room, made me leave early.

Maybe if your young and used to hostels, this is the place for you, it wasn't for me

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
LCSUSA, Owner at Kite Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

The guest and I have exchanged one private message and Kite Beach Inn would like to thank him for his inputs. However, as I am unable to get his full name, information on the room he stayed at and his check in date, I can only address his concerns in general.

First, Kite Beach Inn is located directly on Kite Beach which is a 20-minute walk to downtown Cabarete, or a 3-minute ride on a moto concho. We do, however, have a beachfront restaurant/bar on premise that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. There are also several other restaurants within a 5-minute walk but they do not open for dinner.

Second, Kite Beach Inn comprises of 2 buildings and we do have some rooms that are by the road. These rooms are our least expensive rooms and are usually rented out with discounted prices or deeply discounted long term rental rates. The building by the road was built with thicker walls and double paned windows for extra sound insulation based on materials that are available in a third world country. So, we are aware of potential sound problem and did what we could to improve it. With 2 buildings, we do have quieter rooms and we always try to accommodate guest’s request if they ask for a quieter location.

Third, as owner, I am as concerned as the guest about the cleanliness issues. We are very sorry about the cleanliness issues this guest encountered. Be rest assured that it was an exception, not the norm. As I was unable to determine which room the guest stayed at and when, I cannot backtrack to see who cleaned the room and who checked the room after it was cleaned. I have met with the cleaning staff and my managers and addressed this particular issue.

Fourth, Kite Beach Inn is located in a tropical location. Even though we spray for insects every time a room is cleaned, it is possible that any leftover foods and such can attract insects. Again, we will pay special attention to this matter.

I would like to thank the guest again for his inputs. We are paying special attention to the issues he brought up.

Lucy

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Kite beach Inn is a well kept and well run place at a great value. I'd choose this place any time over a 3-4 star hotel that doesn't run as well. As other reviewers noted, Danilo and Giovanna are just awesome and Lucy and Jim very welcoming.

We really enjoyed our stay here.

The details: The managers of the hotel have a great process for keeping things ship-shape and it shows:

The Rooms: Clean and comfortable, our AC actually worked and was quiet. The staff did a great job keeping the room clean and sand-free.

The Bed: Clean, fresh, and comfortable.
The Bath: Super clean. Ours had no sign of rust, grime, or anything. Decent water pressure and hot water.
Internet: No issues with the wifi signal in the room or the hotel common areas (right to the beach)

Tips: There's a place to hang laundry on the top floor. If available, you can borrow a water container and buy water from across the street. Coco Loco is on the grounds and great! We were allowed to use kiteclub's air compressor to pump our kites (big blessing for us).

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 4, 2013

First time in Cabarete, got to the Kite Beach Inn based on Tripadvisor reviews and I have to say I was not disappointed. The Inn is super clean, right on the beach and everybody there seems to be extremely friendly and helpful. The owners Lucy and Jimmy are always around to be sure everything is OK and Danilo and Giovanna (help with managing the place) are really great people. The small bar is really nice and cool, excellent place to hang out after a day on the water.
Overall a really great place. Will be back soon!!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo