“Great Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
27 Waterfalls of Damajagua Tour from Puerto Plata
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Waterfall adventure specialists offering canyoning , cascading, mountain biking, hiking and more. Iguana Mama was the first licensed adventure tour operator in the Dominican Republic and now offers a waterfall tour for cruise ship passengers coming into the Carnival terminal at Amber Cove. Small groups with a strong focus on quality and safety and no tourist traps. Don’t just take our word for it - National Geographic Adventure describes us as "Cabarete's most dependable adventure outfitter" and Lonely Planet says "Iguana Mama is the top adventure tour operator in the DR "
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

My wife and I used Iguana Mama to book a monkey jungle/zip line tour, surfing lessons, snorkel/catamaran cruise, and the Ciguapa Falls canyoning adventure. All of them were great experiences and Iguana Mama made it easy to learn about them all in advance and determine which ones we wanted to sign up for. Every staff member we interacted with was very friendly and contributed to a very memorable time!

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Andrew B
IguanaMamaCabarete, Owner at Iguana Mama Adventure Tours, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Hello and many thanks for taking the time to post your review, it's always very rewarding to get great feedback from clients. I will pass your comments on to our guides.

New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“27 Waterfalls - Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

My partner and I went on the 27 Waterfalls tour in May, and it was absolutely a once in a lifetime experience. We were fortunate enough to have a small group (only four of us in total), which meant we had plenty of time to explore the falls and never felt rushed.

Our guides were fantastic - always helping us to make sure we had good footing along the falls and giving us safety tips as we went along. The fresh mango's they cut down for us along the trail up to the waterfalls were delicious as well!

The system of waterfalls itself is just fantastic. To be able to slide, jump and swim your way down them was a great experience. Even the 25 foot jump at one point into the pool below was an awesome thing to be able to do! The area felt completely untouched, and the guides were mindful of us not leaving anything (water bottles etc) behind so that there was no litter. Just breathtaking scenery.

The lunch at the end was great, and just what we needed after a number of hours climbing and swimming through the water.

Overall, I would highly recommend Iguana Mama tours - and would highly recommend doing the 27 Waterfalls tour. If we had more time, we would have definitely gone on one of their other tours!

2 Thank Aussienewyorker

Columbia, South Carolina
“Oh man”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

Apparently, by reading the reviews, I am one of the few people who have had an even slightly negative experience with this company. But I am leaving disappointed-- I signed up for the longer cayoneering trip, but when I showed up the next day and was the only one signed up, it immediately became clear that the trip would be a problem to run. I understand that it's not all that cost effective to run a longer tour with only one person-- but at least make it so, if you don't want to run the tour, it's impossible to sign up online. Of course, I could come back later-- but this is a company that caters to people who don't live in RD, and for me the trip is a four hour bus ride and a night in the hostel later. I did the trip, it is enjoyable. But please make it impossible to book if you are not planning on running the full trip.

Visited June 2014
IguanaMamaCabarete, Owner at Iguana Mama Adventure Tours, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Hello Anna,

Normally I would initially thank you for taking the time to review a tour, but as you have only made a cursory mention of the trip itself I can only address your criticisms about how we run our company. It would have been nice if you had mentioned the five emails we exchanged prior to your booking. You said you wanted to do 'Canyoning Supremacy' and were in "no rush", I informed you of the available dates and told you we had our shorter, 'Magic Mushroom' tour running June 20 but if you booked Supremacy we would run it for you as we aim to please. Eventually, you booked a different and cheaper canyoning tour, which you had not even mentioned in your emails and unfortunately we are not able to run for just one person as we at least need to break even. I hope this explanation makes things clearer for you and anyone reading your negative review.

Arvada, Colorado
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

My boyfriend and I went to the DR in late May and had iguana mama took care of our whole vacation. They picked us up and dropped us off from the airport. We did scuba diving -- we weren't certified so we did the quick course with iguana mama. We weren't taken out very far and the reefs were very dull and there were few fish. We did horseback riding on the beach which was a lot of fun. Surprisingly the mountain biking was a lot of fun, one of my fav. actually. The guide Alejandro was wonderful and I loved stopping and getting fresh fruit in the little shop up there. The food was great and the restaurant service was wonderful. I have the same complaint about 27 waterfalls that everyone else does -- the guides were rude, and I was sick of hearing about having to tip over and over again. One of the guides actually turned to another guide and said he wasn't going to help out with the trash (referring to a gal who was heavy and having difficulty) right in front of her. They rushed us through and didn't let us swim or enjoy anything. I refused to tip any of the guides on that trip. But on to the best part of the trip! If you are in shape and looking for something incredible to do, the canyoning supremacy was epic! Alejandro our guide was wonderful, knowledgable, took great pics, and was by far our favorite guide. We also did the white water rafting which I wouldn't recommend if you have done white water rafting in the mountains already. The rapids are great but I was upset that we were forced to sit inside the boat when we hit the rapids. I think it was more dangerous than having everyone put their feet the way they are supposed to and actually steer the boat. Um....the hotel in cabaret was clean, the food was good, and everyone was very helpful. In short, any time you travel there will be things to complain about but iguana mama is reliable, friendly, professional, and was worth every penny. They took care of us and it was wonderful having someone to call if there were any issues -- which were addressed immediatly. I would recommend and use them any time!

Visited May 2014
Hello and many thanks for taking the time to post your review, it's always very rewarding to get great feedback from clients. We will make sure to address the points you made to try and improve the tours for future guests and I will pass your comments on to our guides.

Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Canyoning Supremacy – awesome tour!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

I did this tour with Alejandro and Diomede (2 guides) on May 21, 2014 and consider it one of my all-time favorite guided-adventures!!
First, perspective: I’m 36, in great shape for any age, have climbed 62 14,000’+ peaks (14ers for my fellow Coloradoans), run a couple of marathons, become a strong rock climber and am a strong swimmer. I have spent a lot of time in the wilderness as a guide and going solo; I’m probably the perfect target client for this trip (perspective is everything, I’m not bragging…).
I assume if you are reading this, you’ve read their web-site. They are not exaggerating; this is not the trip to find out if you like this type of trip!! It’s a long (5+ hours easily), difficult (the rocks are in the water; yes, some are slippery – this is a CANYON, not an amusement park with all dangers removed for chubby Americans!!), challenging (this is NOT a hike!! It is a scramble; you WILL be using your hands and arms as much as your feet), awesome (cliffs are above you at certain points, roots are hanging ~100’ from ABOVE, it’s mother nature at her greenest and rockiest!!) challenge.
Safety: Being a rock climber, I could tell Alejandro and Diomede were trained and professional with the ropes and gear; I was happy to see that!! In every manner, I thought they were very professional and prudent. The helmet (same one I use for rock climbing), wetsuit and life vest were all clean; no mildew. Light-weight new-ish summer running shoes were perfect. Sandals would be a terrible choice. Heavier hiking shoes/boots would not be much better. Worn out running shoes are NOT what you want (see last sentence). This is a natural canyon; some rocks have good traction and some are impossibly slippery; by the end, you’ll probably have it figured out. :-)
Food: I had my own breakfast prior to starting and the meal at the end was very good and exactly what I expected; a simple Dominican dinner - chicken, rice & beans with fresh veggies and a Coke. The guides brought 2 Gatorades and water for me; Gatorades were perfect at the breaks, water on the hike out. The snacks were simple cookies, a little weak for both the trip price and reality of the canyon. No big deal; now you know!! Bring 2 good snack bars (Cliff bars or similar) and tuck them into your wetsuit or the guide’s packs.
I lucked out majorly – the rain only stopped for about 16 hours the entire week and my trip started about 10 hours after it stopped. The water was high, but acceptably so. I was the only person on the trip; just me and 2 guides. Awesome! We jumped everywhere we could (water was too high for 1 of them; hydraulic danger), scrambled, scuffled, crept, crawled, floated, climbed, descended, jumped, swan and scuttled our way through the canyon. Beautiful and awe-inspiring. Absolutely recommend this trip for anyone who is up for it; mentally and physically.
You pay for transportation, clean safe gear and 2 strong, knowledgeable, experienced guides to get you safely through an amazing adventure. Well worth the price in my book!! If you tell them on the front end you intend to buy the $25 CD of pictures, they take a lot (and video); strongly suggest committing to buying the CD at the beginning and letting them click away!!
Oh, the hike out: no joke! Call it 2 miles with ~1500’ of elevation gain in the first mile. On a narrow dirt trail. With leaves on it. And a snake that slithered between my feet. You will be very pleased to wore your new running shoes while trudging out of the conquered canyon!

I guess one parting thought; if you are not positive this is for YOU, do not go! Its not your cup of tea. And that’s just fine! There are few options to get out other than the start and finish. Jovially going through the trip, I asked for and was told many stories of people who were NOT happy to be on the trip. I can’t imagine how miserable the wrong person would be in that beautiful canyon... But for those like me, what an awesome trip!!

6 Thank RollingHokie
IguanaMamaCabarete, Owner at Iguana Mama Adventure Tours, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Hello and many thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed and descriptive review, hopefully this will really help people male a decision on wether this is the right tour for them. It's always very rewarding to get great feedback from clients and I will pass on your comments to Alejandro and Diomede.