“Perfect place for active vacation”
Review of Swell Surf Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cabarete
Swell Surf Camp
Colorado
“Perfect place for active vacation”
Reviewed November 25, 2010

Perfect place to stay, rest, surf and socialize. Rooms are new, clean and quiet at night. Owners and staff are extremely helpful and friendly, so you feel like come to a friend's home right after arrival. Commonplace and pool are nice places to hang around with other guest. However it isn't difficult to find a solitary corner to read a book. And the breakfasts just great!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank soula_la

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed October 27, 2010

Better late than never. My apologies for waiting soooo long to let you know, dear charming Claire, how much I enjoyed staying at your place. The well situated building is amazing. The rooms big, minimalistic and very confortable. The common area is so inviting, the open air architecture is exquisite, self-regarding. What an unforgettable experience. Breakfast and service where superior. The beach is just a couple minutes walk away and the surf rewarding. I had a blast. A wonderful escape. Will be back very soon.
Cristina
Miami

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cri061
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2010

Epic. I had the most amazing holiday at swell :) When I was there, there were 3 other girls there, each travelling on their own and a chap on his own. For the first half of my week there was also a very nice couple there. It is exactly the tropical paradise that I was hoping it would be - and more.

I was in a dorm room. All of the rooms and grounds are kept spotless and the whole place is absolutely stunning, with a pool that is lit up like a grotto at night time. We went surfing several times each day, normally starting with a morning session at 0715, coming back for breakfast and then out again for another session. In the afternoon we would often go again, but sometimes the wind and waves were no good. If not, there was plenty to do - explore the town, or swim in the pool, play table football, pool or table tennis. It's also worth going to la boca, a beach restaurant which serves pina colada using a hollowed out pinapple as a cup!

The staff there were all warm and welcoming, Luciano the surf instructor was excellent and had everybody catching waves in their first session. Clare and Jim were really lovely and helpful; they know a lot about the area and could recommend good companies for days out (other than surfing), for example to see the country - I did a cultural tour (with free dominican republic rum - potent stuff) and climbed 7 of the 27 waterfalls. They were keen to help and always offered (for free) to book tours on my behalf. Chino and Marie cooked the most amazing breakfasts and dinners, with freshly squeezed orange juice and pancakes with bright (almost luminous) jam or chocolate.

In the evenings, we would either eat at camp, or go out.. Cabarete is a lovely area and very safe - I frequently went to town on my own (to pick up some tacky touristy souvenir for one lucky friend or another). On the last night I went out on my own, feeling quite safe to find the others on the beach at night (all lit up beautifully and with lots of nice places to eat while looking out over the water).

I desperately want to save up enough to afford the flights to get back there sometime because I had such an excellent time. The only thing I would do differently would be to use the suncream Clare recommended from day 1 to avoid the brutal sunburn that I got on my back where the rash guard came up. Apart from the wholly relaxed feel of the place, it's the small touches, like the camp dog that made it a simply superb holiday.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Rchel_D
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 5, 2010

I am definitely coming back again! Great place, amazing people and just pure good time is what you will get in Swell and Cabarate
The Staff is great: Best breakfast thanks to Maria, Great accommodation thanks to Clair and great times with the greatest surf instructor Luciano Gonzales!!!

Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank dkramp
New York City
Reviewed September 3, 2010

Traveled with wife and teenage son with goal of learning and experiencing surfing, and being in a friendly and open atmosphere with adventure sporting. Swell surpassed our expectations; it is set up so that one is pretty much guaranteed to meet others and bond with them; people in all fields from around the world. We ended up going to the beach together, surfing together, (yes we did it!) eating together and playing games together in the communal area. There is a very nice pool and ping pong, fussball, dvd player, etc. All details are beautifully constructed; which as builders we greatly appreciated; from the concrete floors to the led lights in the pool, etc. The beds were extremely comfortable. Many of the fixtures were from IKEA, modern and nice. Love went into the place,; it is very new, and kept in great condition.
The surfing was really fun; our first time and we succeeded. We had hoped to go diving too, but the north coast is better for surfing. The owner heard that we were looking for tennis and called around for us. She also arranged an intense mountain biking tour for us. The breakfasts (included) were fantastic. Friendly is the word I would use to describe the place. I have already told friends about it and I think they'll go too. Many people like it and visit it again. While many people there were younger, we still feel young, and did not feel excluded.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank unimom
Brooklyn
Reviewed August 24, 2010

I wanted a couple weeks away from the busy life to see if I could still manage a surfboard after 20 years. I chose the Swell Surf Camp and Cabarete, DR experience even though I had never been to either based on a very brief interenet search and the excellent reviews from this site. Well, its even better than they say!

I felt like I was immediately visiting old friends with the way Clare, Jim, Luciano (and the rest of the stellar staff) took care of me and all their guests. From the pristine grounds and simple but comfortable rooms to the low key way the activity options are presented it was all around just what the doctor ordered. I quickly made a habit of surfing in the mornings and relaxing in the afternoons and never got tired or bored with all that Swell and Cabarete have to offer. I'll be back in the winter when the waves are bigger, that is a promise!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank j5th
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 1, 2010

My wife and I were travelling to the DR to visit family in Santo Domingo. We wanted to get out of the city for a couple of days and made the trek to Cabarete to learn to surf. We found Swell Surf camp on the web and checked out the reviews on Trip Advisor. Based on the reviews (which looked to good to be true) we booked two nights with two days of lessons (with Luciano) and rentals. The reviews were right...this place is so much fun. Jim and Clare have created an atomsphere that invites every guest to feel at home. The camp is located in a quite spot off the main road. Although it is not located on the beach, you are only a couple of minutes away. And, the camp is completely enclosed so you don't have to worry about safety.

We can't wait to go back. We are already planning our next visit. Oh and don't make the mistake of staying for only a couple of days. You will only regret it...you need to stay for a least a week if not longer.

Thanks to everyone at Swell.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple