“Great surf and atmosphere”
Review of Swell Surf Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cabarete
Swell Surf Camp
Calgary, Canada
“Great surf and atmosphere”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Compared to all the surf camps I have stayed at, Swell Surf Camp is definitely one of the better camps. The place is extremely clean and comfortable, the staff was very welcoming and friendly, and the food was amazing. The camp also had great surf instructors/guides. Not only were they very knowledgeable about surfing the sport itself, but also had great knowledge about the surf spot. Having lessons with Jay and Ash was the better part of the experience at Swell as they have the passion (and patience) to teach and help improve surfing skills of all levels. The surf spot was a short drive from the camp and it catered to all levels of surfers. I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Tina H

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We feel lucky that Swell had brought in Ash and Jay as instructors for the winter season. They are great instructors and even better people. Camp was as billed -- small scale, cool vibe, friendly, clean, comfortable. We were 2 adults and 2 early 20 "kids". There was something for everyone.. we could chill at camp whilst young adults partied in town. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
GoGapSport, Owner at Swell Surf Camp, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
We are always very grateful when our guests take the time to write about their opinion of Swell surf camp, so thank you for doing so and for your kind words.
Swell made it a policy last year to only ever employ Internationally qualified surf coaches with Life saving and First Aid skills + an excellent grasp of English, which we believe to be essential for good communication in lessons. Warm, friendly and engaging personalities of our staff are also obligatory for us.......Our instructors will likely change on a regular basis to keep the 'sparkle' and enthusiasm going, but our standard of only working alongside professional coaches will not change. Once again, thanks and we hope you and your family come to see us again, Clare and Jim
Pinckney, Michigan, United States
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I live in hotels and spend the majority of my days interacting with people in the service industry. From the design of the camp to the individual staff members, it is easy to see that this is a labor of love and a passion. I have stayed at five star resorts with all the amenities and wow-factor attributes and the feeling of hospitality has never come close to what I have felt here. Hands down the best vacation I have had.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jesspantano
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Fantastic staff, delicious food, spotlessly clean and modern accomodations and a wonderful assortment of fellow guests, extremely relaxing or as social as you want it to be, wish I could have spent a month enjoying all that Swell had to offer, book it, you will be glad you did!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Marion C
DC
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Their formula is simple and beautiful: find ideal surf in an accessible location, and then combine it with a cream of the crop staff, comfortable accommodations, and great food, and you'll attract cool people who will have the vacation of their life. The highlights included a chef who prepared meals reminiscent of my Italian Grandmother, organized twice daily trips to great waves, mind-bowing fish tacos 3 minutes away, and a clientele that included everyone from a retired General to a surfer who was on a 6 month surfing sabbatical to over a dozen locations. If you enjoy active vacations, you'll love this, and you'll leave with a true appreciation for how the owners of swell have cracked the code for the perfect surf vacation.

Room Tip: Upgraded accommodations were worth it.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank RoccoDC
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed a 4 day weekend at Swell. We wished we could have stayed longer. Unfortunately it rained a lot when we were there but that's not the hotel's fault and we had a great time anyway. The common areas are really social and it's a very welcoming vibe. We had fun talking to new people. It would be a great place to travel if you're alone as you'll meet lots of people to hang out with. We were both beginner surfers and we had a fantastic time learning. Jay is a wonderful teacher. He's very professional and he knows what he's doing. The manager Haudy was wonderful and went out of her way to help me out when I had a minor medical problem.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I wanted to learn to surf over Thanksgiving this year and went to Swell following a recommendation from a friend (and previous Trip Advisor reviews). My week at Swell was absolutely amazing!! I can't say enough good things - I wanted to learn to surf, relax, do yoga and meet other fun people...and I got to do just that.

All the staff are all incredibly helpful and friendly. Lourdes is an amazing cook - as good as any breakfast you can find out in a restaurant. Surf instructors Ash and Jay really know their stuff, but still know how to teach to total beginners. They had me up and surfing on day one, and still loving it after two-a-days for a whole week. Houdy runs the show and keeps things organized and running smoothly...plus she has great restaurant recommendations for when you're ready to head down to the beach.

Only thing I'd have changed is to have packed less...it's a pretty laid back place, so I didn't need nearly as many clothes, and one pair of flip flops is plenty!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo