“nice but not safe”

Cabarete Beach House at Nanny Estates
Hampton, New Hampshire
“nice but not safe”
Reviewed March 23, 2008

My husband, daugher, and i stayed at Nanny Estates in February based on wonderful reviews hat we had read on Trip Advisor. Upon arriving, we were shown to our beautiful oceanside condo.We were robbed within the first five minutes of being there. A man crowbarred the bars on the kitchen window, climbed through the window and stole my husbands bag with computer and all of his cash while we were being shown the upstairs by the management.The thief was found down the beach shortly after..but we never retrieved our money. My husband spent the first few days of our vacation shuttling between the police station and court. We will never know if it was an inside job...it seemed very odd that the person who robbed us knew that we were upstairs at the time. The lax security made for a horrible vacation. beautiful setting, nice beach....but certainly not a feeling of safety.

• Liked — views
  • Disliked — security
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
11 Thank paulamHampton_NH

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 9, 2008

We had an absolutely wonderful time! Maria and her staff helped us before we arrived, arranging for a taxi to pick up up in the airport and stocking or kitchen with the essentials. The condo itself was clean, airy, and bright. There was a lot of space and tons of windows. The staff is vigilant about keeping all areas of the complex, inside and out, clean. Security was also ever present, to keep away the less desirable elements. The people were friendly and welcoming and the location was great: about a 15 minute walk to the more "commercial" section, which put a nice buffer of quiet between home and evening activities.

• Stayed December 2007
Whistler
Reviewed December 3, 2007

Hail to Maria and her crew

We got married at the Nanny estates November 17, 2007. This was no easy task to take on from Canada, but Maria made it as easy as one could ask for.

She was excellent at making arrangements picking up all of our guests from the airport. The property boasted a newly renovated pool.
Our villas were immaculate and cleaned daily, minus Sunday (Dominicans don't work Sundays)

All our special requests were taken care of willingly. Maria went above and beyond her call of duty when attending our horrific family emergency. We thank her for being there for us and being flexible in allowing us to host our rehearsal dinner at a new location.

We also thank her for the little things, our wedding fell on a tropical storm and we saw a lot of rain. Maria, without asking, provided our entire party with Umbrella's. WoW!

Thank you, you have gained some new friends and most likely some return guests. Watch out for Aunt Lorna and Uncle Danielle, to mention just two.

We will attach some photos,

Besos,

Marvin and Jackie Goldbloom

• Liked — The view, places were big for entertaining and they have fridges and air conditioning.
  • Disliked — For people who don't like to walk it is a bit far to most of the restaurants (10min on beach)
  • Stayed November 2007
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed August 22, 2007

I spent a year researching on Tripadvisors and [--] for the perfect place for my friends and I to stay in Cabarete. I was pointed in the direction of Nanny Estates and it was GORGEOUS!

There were 11 of us traveling (all in our early twenties). We had complimentary airport pick up. When we arrived, I was greeted by the lovely Lourdes. She was so laid back. Answered every question and made a potentially stressful trip an easy breeze. I met Maria on the second day. It was nice to finally put a face to someone you have spoken to for months. I have to say Maria was very helpful over the many months in answering my questions and helping me prepare for D.R. We were both nervous wih my large group, but it all went smoothly!

The Villas:
When we entered our villa, Villa Chez, we were taken aback. It was so gorgeous and so BIG! We had stone floors, three big bedrooms all ensuite baths, and an extra bathroom that were well decorated. Lots and lots of closet space(Every womans dream!) The livingroom area was wall to wall windows with the most scenic views and nice white flowing curtains. We had a huge livingroom space and dining room, and we must not forget the kitchen/bar which we utulized every day (See the pics) . In the livingroom there is a big television with a dvd player and a little hand held stereo near the dining table. The dining table was gorgeous. Well decorated. One night we had dinner , all 11 of us at the table by candle light. The kitchen is indeed fully stocked. We had utensils for breakfast, we made cake, we blended drinks. We treated the kitchen as a bar (since it kind of is). We also had a cook one morning (Alicia) who made a very delicious breakfast for us.

We also had villa A6, which had a mahogany theme downstairs and Leopard print in the master bedroom. Very gorgeous, and a roof top view that will take your breath away! I spent majority of my time in Villa Chez though. A6 was very elegant I must say.

The grounds:
The grounds were immaculate. Very colorful and always well maintaned. Every monring the gardeners were out .The beach was nice for midnight swims or dips but we walked further down to Cabarete beach to relax. The pool is about 5 foot deep and is good in size. Not to big and not too small. We enjoyed our random swims in the pool.

Security:
The guards were always present and helpful. They even had to quiet us down a few times. I was burned by a motoconcho one night, and the next day Marco and one of the guards patched me up. The pool is beautiful and we had wonderful views every morning.
Groceries:
Janets supermercado is like at the other end of town. I walked there but it is no where nearby. There is Rosa's Supermercado (I think) . We got enough things from there the first night to hold us over for breakfast.
By Wed, we went to the huge supermercado across from Sosua Beach. It's like Pathmark in Spanish/ Perfecto. We were set for the rest of the week!

Tranportation:
Transportation was always ready for us. Lourdes or Maria would always call our cabs. We were about a 10-15 min walk into town. On the first two nights we walked into town and walked back home on the beach without any incident. There is a taxi stand and plenty of moto conchos available in town. We didn't pay more than $1-3 pp to get back and forth between the villas and town or Sosua and town.

Emergency:
There is a small clinic in the center of town. Very useful and no, you musn't be fluent in SPanish to communicate. They whisked us away to the back right way and we were out in less than 30 mins.

Eateries:
Too many to count. There are lots of places available in town for about $10-15 pp. I had meals for $6. Breakfast at Onnos for $5. Though I prefered the place next door that dubbed themselves number one. Ocean something.
Make sur eyou get icecream from Bon.

Money
Lots of places to exchange and they all have basically the same rate.

Internet cafes
Plenty. $1-2 for a half hour (beats kinkos)

Beaches
I prefer Sosua beach. It was much more calm than Cabarete's. We met a guy named Mike who we rented Kayaks from and rode on his bananna boat( a must do).

Tours:
We did all of our tours through Mel tours with Linda. She was most helpful (Hello from Michelle and Zenia)
You must , MUST MUST, do the waterfalls! Great experience and it is worth FAR MORE than what they charge.

The Catamaran is also a great trip. ATV'S or Dune buggies was fun. Paradise Island is also a must.

Nightlife:
We went to Onnos and Bambos in town for the first three nights , but quickly grew bored and ventured out to the casinos and Classico in Sosua. Onnos has great food. Bambus has a great pizza special. Onnos had GREATTT drink specials . Pitchers of Magaritas and Mojitos for $9. We mustve had at least 4 drinks and a good meal and not have spent more than $15 pp.A mojito is $ 10 in the states! Also, there is a little bar between the two (Onnos and Bambos) that I was told about. Sure enough, I got tequilla shots for around $2.30 EACH! OR 80 PESOS!

Go figure,"My girl wants to party all the time" by Eddie Murphy from 1980. was being played like the greatest thing in Classico. Sosua had more young people for nightlife (or it seemed so with all the putas hanging around and transvestites).
BIG SURPRISE! Lol, but it is our theme song, along with what we have dubbed the Dominican Anthem Dunt Dunt.. Dunt Dunt ..Dunt. Dunt.. Dunt DADADADUNT DUNT. We still don't know the name of the song but we are still singing it.

Safety:
Was not much of a concern after a while since we were such a large group, but we did encounter people who were robbed by gunpoints(AK's to be specific). Practice common non-drunk sense if traveling alone.Other than that, everyone was very friendly and helpful towards us.

Random:
There is a well fed little cat named Monster who we came to feed and adore every morning.
There is a little nook next to the office where you can hook your laptop up for free hi-speed internet. I caught many a mosquito bites there.
The driving is scary but you do get used to it. One of my friends rented a motoconcho and I feared for our lives a first. We took motoconchos from Classico to the casino one night in Sosua , which is when I got my exhaust burn.

We were a bit noisy for the first two nights, but Maria and Lourdes were understanding of our excitement. (Apologies to anyone we may have disturbed). All and all we had a great time. Loved the villas . Especially Villa Chez . Our communal spot. We miss D.R. so much!

With love from Michelle , Zenia and the crew. Thanks so much Maria and Lourdes for an exceptional time!

• Liked — Spacious,grogeous, convenient and affordable accomodations with gracious hosts.
  • Disliked — Leaving!!!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank Chey
NYC
Reviewed August 19, 2007

Went to Nanny Estates for vacation this summer. I was so pleasantly pleased with everything. First of all, the place is incredibly affordable. We spent a full week there and spent about $600. Maria and Lourdes took care of everything. Before we even got there, I sent them a shopping list which they took care of. They coordinated a taxi to pick us up at the airport and drop us off as well. The homes were immaculate. 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, roof deck on the beach. Gorgeous. A cleaning lady came in every day to clean the house. The pool was fantastic and the water was warm and welcoming. Just watch out for the kite surfers.

The restaurants were great as well. I put all my reviews on
[--]
and I added pictures of the restaurants as well as all the food I ate. The nicest thing about dinner was the serenades on the beach.

Don't forget to hit up the Cabarete caves and Playa Grande. It is not a far ride to Puerto Plata. There are also other slightly hipper towns about 10 minutes, but I was quite happy I stayed where I did. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — It felt like home
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
spain
Reviewed July 10, 2007

We found Nanny Estates on the Net, we were looking for a family place for myself , two children and my kite surfing husband.

I was dealing with Maria who runs Nanny Estates and she was fantastic, answering all my emails with endless questions to her and then on our arrival making us feel very welcome and giving us all the info we needed.

I can honestly say Nanny Estates was better then I could have hoped for, we were made to feel very welome, the whole place was clean, the gardens beautiful and the sea views amazing, the staff were brillaint with my sons and always helpful.
Our holiday ticked every box we were looking for and more. I am not keen on visiting a place twice, but have to say we will be going back as many times as we can.

HIGHLY recommend this place to everyone. A taste of paradise!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look forward to going back and seeing Maria and the rest of the Nanny Estates team as soon as possible

Stayed April 2007
1 Thank hannamum
ottawa
Reviewed June 24, 2007

we have been 2 times to nannys and we love it. The location, beach the village, very well managed condos and we dont even kite surf
the food has improved we had sushi about 5 mins from nannys, fresh fish every other day. If you dont mind cooking some of your meals, this the place for you

• Liked — every thing compelet package
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple