“awesome place! awesome staff!”
Review of Hotel Villa Taina

Hotel Villa Taina
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Cabarete
Reviewed June 6, 2014

this was our honeymoon and we knew only what was on the interweb of this hotel. took a chance and were so happy with it! the staff are some of the nicest and helpful people we found all week in cabarete. i think thats saying something considering all the dominicans we interacted with throughout the week were awesome. the room was cozy, but we knew that going in.we were out and about all week, so we only needed a shower and a bed. it was clean, comfortable, and the a/c worked great. being the only americans in the hotel, we had no problem communicating with any of the staff as our spanish was nonexistent, but they helped us learn fast. breakfast everyday was fantastic. everything is so fresh. our morning waiter(cookie), yes, that is his name made our trip. the nicest man in the entire country, i think. even when he wasn't working, he was on the beach enjoying this place with us. can't say enough good things about the staff.the conditions right on the beach in front of the hotel are as good as they get in cabarete. the rental gear at the surf shop was decent as was the staff. rulf took awesome care of us and nathan was an incredible kite instructor. three hours from never kiting(i windsurf)to on the water. i like to add that even though there was a language barrier, juan (security) was another we will never forget. he was always concerned that we were having a great time, even if it was with sign language or drawing in the sand to communicate. so awesome. the guests seem to be mostly european(german/french) at least for our stay, and they were great too. we will be back, so don't change a thing!

Room Tip: get a room on the beach side. price difference is little and it's quieter by the water. listenin...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ctedford05

Reviewed May 29, 2014

At first I had my doubts about staying at this property. I made my reservation for two different rooms because we were six people. Before we got there, we noticed according to some other reviews that the rooms were not that spacious so we decided to add another room for my father, which we paid for. They sent us all the way to the fourth and the third floor of a building facing the road. The rooms were so small and moldy that we returned to the front desk and asked for an upgrade to another building, facing the pool and part of the beach. When we got the second rooms they all smell like humidity and mold as well. We were told that the smell was due to fresh paint and that it would go away within few hours. The smell never went away. The first night we called the front office because they were roaches in the bathtub. I had to kill the roaches myself because after 11:00PM there is no one to complaint to at the front desk.
Before we departed we spoke to the personnel about our complaints. Also there was no way we could all have fit in two rooms. We lost the money we paid for to have an extra person in one of the rooms because there was no way to fit everyone in two separate rooms. We however, got a reimbursement for the upgrade made to the new rooms for the inconvenience we had with the roaches. Other than this, the place is very quiet and close to all the restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank gqueliz
Reviewed May 25, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed in a room right by the pool and it was great. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The Happy Hour at the bar by the Pool (located about 5 steps from the pool) was great and extremely affordable. The bartender was friendly and helped us pick a restaurant for dinner. There was complimentary wi-fi in the rooms, but there were a few issues that I ran into:

Firstly, the room initially smelled like mold, but once we closed the closet doors, we could no longer smell the mold.

Secondly, our room was extremely noisy. We did not complain because our room was right next to the pool and was in the Beach Building, but if you have a room by the pool, be prepared to hear every single footstep all night long.

Thirdly, my family and I booked an excursion that required us to leave at 6:30AM. We could not get into the lobby because it was locked. We had to bang on the door and a security guard let us into the lobby while we waited for the excursion to begin. We should have been informed about this the day we booked our excursion.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and the hotel was affordable. Make sure you inspect your room when you arrive!

Room Tip: Choose the Beach Side. It may be noisier, but it's right by the beach and the pool and does not...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank raymondqueliz
Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

I will start off by saying that I originally wanted to give the hotel 3 stars for their attempt in being called a hotel. I took off stars for certain things that anyone thinking about coming here should know. Everywhere you go they have the good and the bad, so let me start off with the good. For the price I paid, I think I got what I paid for. The staff is extremely nice, friendly and attentive. For instance, they recommended great places to eat. The bartender was also real nice and made great drinks. They had a fantastic 2x1 deal from 5-7pm. Additionally, the hotel is conveniently located in the center of Cabarete. The property is on the beach and is very quiet. Now for the bad. I got 3 rooms for the family and they were indeed comfortable except for minor details like I had to pay to upgrade to the "better" building which is not by the main road. Plus, I made reservations for 6 people in 2 rooms originally and had to get another room because there was no way 6 people would fit in 2 rooms. Also, they don't have basic necessities like beach towels. I had to give a deposit of $2000 pesos per room the equivalent of $50 per room for a towel? Come on! Additionally, the safe wasn't working in one of the rooms and I waited 40 minutes for them to resolve it. I'm on vacation! Hurry up! Lol. The following things made me give it 2 stars.... 1. They do not have an iron. 2. The MOST important reason I deducted stars was because I had 4 roaches in my bathroom 3. They do not have anyone at the reception area past 11pm so you don't have anyone to complain to or ask for an exterminator. 4. Room 104 smelled like mold and the balcony is infested with Mosquitos. We went to complain about the smell the first day and was told that the smell would go away because it was from the smell of fresh paint but it smelled like cheese, vinegar and paint all in one. Room 109 was freshly painted and the smell was toooo strong and one of the people in my my party is asthmatic and had trouble breathing in that room plus this is the room with the roach infestation.

My advice to you is to Make sure to check your luggage to ensure you aren't taking any creepy critters back with you and to be prepared to bring a bag for your dirty or wet clothes because they don't have any.

I have my doubts here. It's a hit or miss so good luck.

Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank yuyi23
Claudia S, Owner at Hotel Villa Taina, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2014

Dear Yuyi,

thank you for your feed back on your recent stay at our Hotel. We are sorry for the inconvenience you experienced and sincerely apologize.

Some of our rooms were recently renovated. We apologize for paint smell residue the person in your company was sensitive to.

Several of your complaints might have been based on a simple misunderstanding.

We would have appreciated if you had addressed some of your concerns directly with our staff and we would have gladly taken care of them or clarified them for you.

-Beach Towels are available for our Guests at our Reception desk, they can be exchanged any time for clean ones.
-Irons are available upon request, our housekeeping would have been happy to send it to your room. (Very few of our guests require irons for their beach vacation.)
-The Deposit of 50USD for your room incidentals or Minibar consumption is a usual requirement in case a credit card was not supplied.
-The Standard room category you reserved initially is only available for 2 persons. Our Comfort and Comfort Ocean category can be booked for up to 4 persons. This information is available on our Website or with your travel agent.
-The additional cost you mentioned is for an Ocean front side room and is not related in which building you are staying.
- We do have staff on site after 11 pm that is available to help you with your concerns.
- We are very meticulous on room hygiene and do have a bi-weekly professional service to take care of mosquitos or other bugs on the premises.

Again we extend our apologies for the inconveniences you may have experienced on our premises. In case you are in town during a next visit we would like to extend a cordial, complimentary invitation to join us for one of our theme nights at our Beach front Restaurant Serenade.

Reviewed May 7, 2014

The rooms were clean, and tidy. But there is no parking, only 4 slots for the whole hotel, and no where else to park within 2 blocks. The location was perfect on the beach. We had 5 rooms in our group and the quality varied for the same prices. I would go again but check which room to have

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank lisa w
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I think that my rating is closer to 3.5/5 but the fact that the our room was too noisy causes me to round down.
The positives first:
1. it's reasonably priced by Cabarete standards
2. Close to center
3. Has good wi-fi
4. Has a free library of DVD's
5. Spacious rooms

The negatives:
1. The hotel is spread across 2 buildings. The lower priced rooms are located in a building that's away from the beach.
2. The building that's away from the beach has windows facing the back road where noisy people and vehicles tend to be at odd hours.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank yk13_nyc
Reviewed March 20, 2014

My husband and I make yearly trips to DR for Carnaval & visits to friends/family with a few days where we try to escape out to Cabarete to relax. Over the past years we have tried out a variety of other accommodations on the beach/area with Villa Taina being our favorite. Location is perfect for some quiet but also close enough to the action that a quick walk down the beach has you in the middle of things. The staff was always super helpful and more then accommodating when our room was delayed in being ready. Out of all the places we have stayed, our room 209 in the front ocean view building was really nice with modern amenities and look. (my only negative was for me, the bed was a little hard - but hey i'll take it over a positive experience with everything else!) The other guests were a nice mix of couples & families -Americans and also from all over Europe. My husband really enjoyed his sports massage in the spa while i took full advantage of the sunny beach and shady of the palms. The price was definitely right for room and if anything a steal! We will be visiting again very soon and hopefully bringing friends with us. :)

Room Tip: Pay the extra money for an ocean view room in the front building! We were on the second floor with a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple