“Wonderful atmosphere”

Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Cabarete
Rio Grande, RS
“Wonderful atmosphere”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

The hotel is very family friendly, with a nice atmosphere made by a smile staff. The bar and restaurant at the front of the hotel/beach are very pleasant, with nice people and staff. You can rent boards to windsurf, stand up padle and kite next to the bar, play voleyball, or just relax. There is a park problem ir its busy, but you can find a paid park nearby. The location is good, and is like a oasis tranquility in the midle of a busy Cabarete. Quite recomendable.

Room Tip: The seafront rooms are the best, and the higher price its worthy.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Great Hotel with prime beach location in the heart of Cabarette.

Stayed at Villa Taina for the last week of January. Found the hotel to be very clean with attentive and friendly staff. Front desk was very well run and Alexa was very helpful. Check in was seamless. Our room was on the third floor with an Ocean view. Extremely clean and well run. Maid service was fast and friendly as well. Air conditioned worked very well. Always a good idea to leave a small tip each day for the maids.

Had the buffet breakfast each morning and found the food and service to be very good. Decent selection of food with coffee and juice. You could get the same value in town but its nice not having to get up and go early in the morning.

The beach was clean and looked well looked after. The Villa Taina beach is off center in Cabarette so we were away from the hustle and bustle of town, but only 100 yards away and close enough to stroll in for lunch and dinner....or drinks Elaina looked after guests on the beach and she was very helpful and attentive.

This is the third place I have stayed in Cabarette and by far the best. Would recommend this hotel to anyone trying to avoid the all-inclusive traps and want to enjoy the flavors of a small beach town in the Dominican Republic.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms have a roof on the balcony that will help during rain storms :-)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mark C
Santiago, Dominican Republic
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The hotel is well located on the beach with lots of restaurants and bars nearby. You can walk to most places in Cabarete from the hotel without having to drive, although it's a little far away from a grocery store.

Parking can be hard to find if it's busy out. The staff were helpful and friendly and spoke multiple languages.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Excellent service, great beach and Kite & surfCenter with funny rasta boys. Smiley staff. Good breakfast and excellent restaurang in Hotell. What else My family Can ask! Room was ok for All My family. Adults and Three daughters.

• Stayed February 2013
Kotka, Finland
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We spent two weeks in February 2013 in this hotel with my boyfriend. We didn't want all-inclusive so Villa Taina was our only choice that the travel agency offered. And a good choice too! The location was excellent. It's right in the center of Cabarete but not close to noisy bars.

The beach was also very near. It was the last restaurant in the row on the beach so there weren't so many people passing by all the time. A lot of vendors though. There were enough free beach chairs every day.

Our room in the beach building was nice, recently renovated a bit as the pictures that we saw beforehand were much uglier. The bathroom was also very good and clean, with hot water all the time. For some reason we usually got three towels instead of four. The towels were changed every day though they asked to put dirty towels on the floor to get changed.

We had problems with our light/fan and it was fixed very quickly.

I was excited for the yoga lessons and I though I would do that almost every day but we found out that it was only once a week on Fridays and we weren't there on both Fridays. There was also pilates lessons on Wednesday but we missed those too.

We ate twice at Serenade restaurant, once a la carte and once the Mongolian grill. Both were expensive and we weren't quite satisfied. There were very long queues for the Mongolian grill as there were only two cooks and dozens of people waiting with their plates. If you are willing to eat a lot, it will take hours to get many plates. I ate only one.

We borrowed two DVDs for free. That was a nice service for lazy evenings after exhausting beach days :)

Room Tip: I would prefer the beach building rather than the reception building but they didn't ask.
Sunnyside, New York
Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was literally the prime location in Cabarete. Cabarete is a small town that you can literally walk from one end to the other. Villa Taina was in the center of it. We got there at night so didn't get to check out much of the hotel but when we were walking to breakfast the next day, we were shocked to see how CLOSE we were to the ocean. From the restaurant, you can view kite-surfers and hear the waves of the ocean perfectly. Cabarete is perfect for those who like hot weather but need a breeze. The beach behind Villa Taina is amazing. The water is nice and you can swim in it. The bar and the beach are right by each other so it is easy to grab a drink and go back to the beach. Service at the bar is very good. They have specials at their restaurant every night. It is also centrally located to nearby restaurants (Don Adolfo is SO good!). At night, the restaurants turn into nightclubs where you can dance the night away. The open clubs face the beach so you get the feel that you are really on vacation. Sosua (gorgeous and calm beach) and Boca (undeveloped beach but the restaurant Laguna Del Mar is one of the best i've been to) are only a few minutes drive from this hotel. The staff is also very friendly. The price is also too good to be true! I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: stay on the 1st floor. you get an ocean view if you are on the 2nd and 3rd but you are so close to t...
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Great hotel, friendly and helpful reception staff, but awful food, service and value for money when it comes to eating. After my experience of waiting over 45 minutes for my order to come, counting how many other diners there were (22), starting to write this review and then being unable to find the waitress or any other staff member to find out what was going on,  I went next door to Front Loop to eat. Where I got great service, from friendly staff and fantastic food.

The waitress then caught me on way back. She tried to make me pay for the meal. I said I'd waited over 45 minutes, I looked for her, I looked for other staff. She said they were very busy, I looked at the 1/2 empty restaurant and said no and that at the time they had only guests and were 1/2 empty. She then tried to make me pay for my water which I didn't drink as I was waiting for my meal. I said no, the manager came over (I think it was) they said something in Spanish shrugged gave me a dirty look and said "ok" and walked off with no other words.

Fortunately there are many great places to eat here and as the price of the room doesn't include food, I'd recommend it as a place to stay but not to eat.

• Stayed February 2013
Villataina, General Manager at Hotel Villa Taina, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
We apologize for the long wait on Sunday night in our Restaurant.
Due to a technical problem with our gas oven our capacity for cooking was hampered. These things should not happen, especially on a Sunday night when it is hard to get hold of a technician. Most of the guests that were there that particular night were understanding about our situation. If you are still around in town we would be happy to make it up for you with a free meal at the restaurant.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabarete
Sunscape Puerto Plata Dominican Republic
BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
#5 of 39 in Puerto Plata

Been to Hotel Villa Taina? Share your experiences!