“The Hotel Costa Larimar is just nice for our stay”

Hotel Costa Larimar
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Barahona
British Expats in the Dominican Republic
“The Hotel Costa Larimar is just nice for our stay”
Reviewed January 13, 2007

We, travelling as four (two pairs of couples), made a telephone booking a day before we left Santo Domingo, the capital. When we arrived the next day, the reception did not have our booking, but they said they can fit us in. We paid 4000 pesos (USD120) for a room, which includes dinner on the day we arrived, breakfast and lunch the next day, plus all drinks at the bar. We were staying there only for the weekend, to visit Lago Enriquillo and to see Barahona town.

The rooms, although old (this place was built in mid 90’s), were spotless; we had 2 Queen-sized beds, a TV, an AC, ceiling fan, table for two, closet, bath tub and hot water; they are all in good condition. Our room has not got towels (our friends' had), so we ask from the reception and it was quickly organized.
The hotel building itself was newly painted (in blue and white colours), just perfect as there were no faults on the painting work.

The buffet style food serving was not fancy and had a simple selection, for example for lunch and dinner, they served pork, chicken, fish, vegetables, bread, soup and rice, as well as dessert; about 6 or 7 main dishes and the dessert which they placed in a round glass fridge with rotating shelves. On breakfast they had bacon, sausages, pan cakes, yogurt drinks, “manggu” (a Dominican food – mashed plantain), juices, bread, fresh omelette from the omelette counter, fried eggs and fresh local fruit. The coffee was really good and always fresh, which I loved so much.

The pool was clean too, and the floor that surrounds the pool area was kept very neat and tidy. We did not see any rubbish on the hotel ground. There is a small beach in front of the hotel, where a mangrove island sits about 150m in front of the beach. There were fisherman’s boats parked just on the left side of the beach. On the horizon, the view of the Barahona bay and a factory just on the left. The beach had sand flies; we quickly retired from walking on the sand, to the pool. It was just as nice.
The staffs at the restaurant were friendly, they were always ready to help and serve, although at times we could not see their whereabouts.

When we were there, there were local families as well as visitors. The place was never busy, plenty of space for everyone.
We went to the cathedral at the town centre called “Catedral Nuestra Señora del Rosario” on Saturday evening, but we turned-up late at the mass simply because we got the wrong information from the front desk at the hotel. They told us that the mass starts at 7pm but in fact, it started at 6pm. To say the least, the vicar was not pleased as we walked into the cathedral chapel during communion. However, we met him later and apologized for being late and explained the situation. The vicar was charming and gave his blessings before he left. (My husband and I are not so religious, but we liked visiting cathedrals and churches where ever we are). So NOTE THIS: The mass starts at 6pm on Saturdays, just in case you want to attend a service at the cathedral, which is only 3 minutes away from the hotel, and is easy to find.

For USD120 a day with 3 inclusive meals and flow of drinks, Hotel Costa Larimar is most certainly worth visiting. We went to Restaurant La Rocca (or La Roka) to have a meal, and one meal alone costs us 3000 pesos. So it is no doubt that staying at the Costa Larimar hotel is economical and comfortable.

If we ever thinking of going to Barahona again, we will stay at this hotel.

• Liked — The immaculately clean hotel and the delicious local coffee
  • Disliked — none
  • Tips/Secrets — Perhaps bring your own intertainment gadgets; it is a sleepy town at night
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
6 Thank Paish

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Maryland
Reviewed January 3, 2007

I stayed at the Larimar as I was on a road trip through The Dominican Republic. I stayed here with my wife and stepped into the lobby to make reservations. I was received by the receptionist, a young girl, who was leaning against the lobby with her elbows and as I greeted her she just looked at me and pointed at the guy next to her who was on the phone, ok... can happen no problem maybe she was having a bad day.
The man then took over and explained that this was an ALL-INCLUSIVE-HOTEL, great, nice and easy no need for hasles every time you want a drink or something to eat... he guaranteed that all drinks and Dominican brand distilled drinks where included (bottles of wine, foreign distilled etc are not, I understand thats standard in The Dominican Rep.), interestingly enough I didnt get one smile out of either of them, which is very unusual anywhere in The Dominican Republic (DR), even on the street... So anyways he explained where the rooms where, and when we came in the lights did't work, the TV wasnt programmed and there where no towels...Oh yes, he also promised an Ocean view, but he was right because when you steped out onto the balcony and lean over all the way you can get a glimps... I didnt make a big deal since these things happen in The DR and are usually resolved one way or another, I wasnt going to ruin my vacation over them.
But it did make me thirsty and walked over to the bar to get a drink for myself and my wife. There where two bartenders standing there and the same thing happened, the one pointed at the other guy, at first I thought he didnt see then he looked at me and just nodded his head, all right.... To make a long story short this Hotel has a serious issue with CUSTOMER SERVICE. Lets move on: the Pool, very nice! it even has a bar (but that doesnt matter because nobody was ever attending the pool bar during our stay....). The next day there was a a different crew working the bar, I went up to ask for a couple drinks, he told me bottled water was NOT included! Neither was the Diet Coke!! and neither the Brugal Extra Viejo!!! (% pure Dominican) Only the cheapy stuff was included....then he pointed at a table where I could fill up my own glass of water...
BEACH: bring sandles or slippers because its very rocky and hard, inside the Sea the Sea floor is not sandy but muddy, I recommend staying at the pool, besides the view of the factory from the Beach is not all that...
When we checked out I received a bill, for drinks in the restaurant, I explained that I payed more for an all inclusive pass that allowd me to have eveything nice and easy, and I am sorry to say that it wasnt nice and easy, I'd much rather just pay a quarter of the price for just a bed and enjoy all the local bars and restaurants they have outside the Gates. No matter what, I am sure that there is allways a way to make your stay Great, I just thought this had to be mentioned.
Regards!

• Liked — They had internet
  • Disliked — Customer service
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't hesitate to roam around the area outside the Hotel.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank SteveHendrix

Travelers are raving about these Barahona hotels

Florida
Reviewed October 13, 2006

I stayed at this hotel in July 2006 with a mission team from Florida. Two of our team got sick, NOT BECAUSE OF THE HOTEL, and Mr. Jordan and his staff were a big help. Mr. Jordan the owner, who is from New York city, had two doctors come to the hotel and our people received proper medical attention. It is good to know that you can stay in a place that cares about you.

The Rev. Ray Persson, Deacon
St. John's Episcopal Church
Clearwater, Florida

• Liked — Friendly and helpful staff
  • Stayed July 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank DeaconRay
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 20, 2006

This is a great hotel with a great staff. I met the owner who is from New York City. He has a great staff and a clean hotel with amazing views. Make sure you wake up in time to hit the beach and see the sunrise!

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
29 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barahona
Hotel Piratas del Caribe
Hotelito Oasi Italiana
Hotelito Oasi Italiana
#2 of 3 in Paraiso
Casa Bonita Tropical Lodge

Been to Hotel Costa Larimar? Share your experiences!