“Best week end gateway” 5 of 5 bubbles

Casa Bonita Tropical Lodge
Spain
“Best week end gateway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

A 3 hour drive from Santo Domingo that totally worth it! Service is impeccable, food and and drinks are well prepared and tasty. Rooms are not so big but have everything required and the view is just amazing!
Lots to do in and out the hotel. Management is present and staff ready to serve! A great experience!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dimitri F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Asbury Park, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

This place is AMAZING. I looked on the internet for days for a destination that fit my long bill of requirements. Casa Bonita met and exceeded all of my expectations. I went with a friend for 5 days/ 4 nights (although 2 of those days were completely filled with traveling). We arrived on a Sunday. I had wanted to rent a car and drive to the resort myself, but my friend did not want to, so we arranged for the resort to pick us up. Carlos, our driver, was waiting for us after we picked our bags up and our adventure began! The trip was roughly 4 hours through the country and every minute of it was interesting and beautiful. I am able to speak spanish very well so I was able to really learn a lot from Carlos about the culture. Most people would advise against renting your own car, but if you are a competent, adventure seeking person, I would say go for it! The next 3 days of our trip that followed were bliss.

Our room was really really cool. There are twelve huts that are basically carved right into the mountainside. Ours had two extremely comfortable double beds, a simple bathroom with a wooden floored shower, air conditioning, a big ceiling fan, and the best part... a balcony to overlook Barahona with these doors that can slide completely open, making the room essentially outdoors. It was fantastic. I had no issues with bugs other than an occasional fly or two and I slept well with or without the air conditioning on. There was a tv, but no cable (which makes sense when you see where you are) but we brought some dvds with us. The front desk has some too, but it was slim pickings.

We got a meal plan for three days, which was definitely worth it. The food was not the best I've had but you can tell that they are using local ingredients and local flavors, which I guess just do not include much flavor. Each meal came accompanied with some sort of local fare, ie. fruit, bread, cheese, yuca chips. The breakfast, I thought was great. Lunch had a lot to choose from. And dinner had a lot of variety. A lot of seafood. The food was not a highlight, but it definitely did not bother me. I always found something to eat and they were very eager to please, even my very picky friend. You could eat whenever and wherever you wanted, which was also a plus.

The fresh drinks that they made were really really great.

The pool on the property was really beautiful and I spent a lot of time just lounging around, dipping in and out. My favorite spot, though, was the hammock under the trees. I could have laid there forever.

I did a couple of activities as well. A 2 mile hike through the woods, led by one of the managers, Fidel. (Who was such a great person to have around on the trip). It was not too hard, but just challenging enough to feel like you really accomplished something. I went horseback riding through the same trail the next day which was super cool and then that same day I did the canopy tour, which was easy but beautiful. The guides were a lot of fun. The first day Carlos drove us to the beach nearby, Quemaito. The ground was made up of larger smooth rocks, as opposed to fine sand, but it did not detract from the beach at all. The water was warm and really fun to swim in. A couple of locals were there too and we ended up talking to some of them.

Aside from the actual resort being beautiful, clean, peaceful and well planned, I think what really made my vacation special was the people. Everyone on the staff was kind and helpful and wanted to do anything to make us happy. When we woke up and walked to have breakfast, everyone would greet us with smiled. I believe, by the end, I had made solid friends with at least 6 of the employees. I was able to learn a lot about the culture of the country and that added a fun factor to my trip. If you want to have a touristy vacation in a place like punta cana where everything is americanized and you are in a super modern hotel on a white sand beach, this place is definitely not for you. Casa Bonita is the place to truly have a different experience. You can relax like it is a luxury resort, but still be out in pure nature, all while really getting a glimpse of a different culture. After going there, I feel incredibly satisfied; like my soul got everything that it needed. It had absolutely everything that I wanted. I only wish I could have stayed longer.

Go now. Pack a small bag, bring a book and go. Do it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Julie B
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

Best place to be away from noise of city. Rooms are beautiful but NO tv signal; air conditioner not working properly. About food, Too expensive for poor quality.
The best thing is the people,Great service.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Anton E
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

Wow....where to begin?!?! Found this place after a long month research to find the best place for my boyfriend and I to spend a quite, tourist trap-free environment where the acres of green land and magnificent view of a exquisite turquoise ocean sight will make us reconnect and feel pure peace, harmony and most of all pure love! From the rooms which are private cabanas, to the pool, the services and the many activities that are available at this amazing hotel you for sure wont regret your stay! In fact you will want to stay and never leave! For sure we did! Get a massage in the river, or the lavender stress relieve! Totally Devine! Also get a Taino steam bath...it's so putrefying and a holistic experience with your partner or by yourself! Also go zip lining..it was so much fun! And very professional!! Go mountain bike! Just DON'T DO IT IF YOU HAVE NEVER TRIED IT! The path is a bit dangerous! Go on a 1.5 hour guided horse back riding through the mountains and pass by rivers and gorgeous scenery! Last but not least, explore the town! Don't be scare! It's so much fun when you're adventurous! Don't forget to visit the Larimar*stone gift shop by the entrance of Casa Bonita! Larimar is a light blue stone found in the near by mine on the mountains! Beautiful....

Great travels,

D & L

• Stayed September 2013
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

This is a place to really get away from it all. Spend one of the most stress-free weekends in my life.
The service is amazing.
Very good food.
Great for couples.

On my trip the air conditionning in the room was not working propperly. But everything else made up for it.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the renovated rooms for more comfort.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Denpichardo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is my first review although I've stayed in many island resorts and tropical destinations. This place is hands-down the best combination of service and privacy I've ever experienced. The place is built and staffed to entertain like 250 rooms but only has about 25 private cabanas. This results in an empty pool at times. Always available seating at the restaurant and a staff that more than once set up a table by the pool for us to eat lunch just because I felt like it (sounds terrible, I know). Barahona is a bit out of the way which has its pluses and minuses. The ride from Santo Domingo is an investment of time. This results in perfect romantic nights star-gazing on Nikki-beach-inspired lounging chairs without any city lights to hide the hundreds of stars we never get to see. Truly magical.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank BeenArounDaWurl
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

My husband, daughter, and I stayed at Casa Bonita for 4 nights this summer to use as our home base for a visit to Bahia de Aguilas and I have to say this place is incredible. After the nearly 4-hour, crazy drive from Santo Domingo, arriving at this oasis was other-worldly. The photos don't lie-- the views of the hillside and the ocean are breathtaking and the facilities themselves are beautiful.

The hotel actually owns most of the beautiful, unspoiled, surrounding area and we really enjoyed getting out to enjoy it. We all went on an amazing almost 2-hour horseback ride for only $60 for the 3 of us. My daughter and I went ziplining with the kind assistance of Carlos and "Pina" and my husband hiked through the tropical forest and discovered amazing rivers, waterfalls, and natural pools.

In general, the staff-- in particular Fidel-- was super nice and helpful-- they even offered to pack a cooler for us with water and softdrinks on the morning that we left for Bahia de Aguilas. The food at the restaurante was also great. We met the chef on the morning we left-- she makes killer majarete-- her own spin on a Dominican dessert. Don't miss it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank fridani
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barahona
Casa del Mar Lodge
#5 of 6 in Barahona
Hotel Loro Tuerto
Hotel Loro Tuerto
#3 of 14 in Barahona

Been to Casa Bonita Tropical Lodge? Share your experiences!