“I found paradise... Wasn't going to tell anyone”

Casa Bonita Tropical Lodge
“I found paradise... Wasn't going to tell anyone”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is my first review although I've stayed in many island resorts and tropical destinations. This place is hands-down the best combination of service and privacy I've ever experienced. The place is built and staffed to entertain like 250 rooms but only has about 25 private cabanas. This results in an empty pool at times. Always available seating at the restaurant and a staff that more than once set up a table by the pool for us to eat lunch just because I felt like it (sounds terrible, I know). Barahona is a bit out of the way which has its pluses and minuses. The ride from Santo Domingo is an investment of time. This results in perfect romantic nights star-gazing on Nikki-beach-inspired lounging chairs without any city lights to hide the hundreds of stars we never get to see. Truly magical.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank BeenArounDaWurl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Washington, DC
Reviewed August 11, 2013

My husband, daughter, and I stayed at Casa Bonita for 4 nights this summer to use as our home base for a visit to Bahia de Aguilas and I have to say this place is incredible. After the nearly 4-hour, crazy drive from Santo Domingo, arriving at this oasis was other-worldly. The photos don't lie-- the views of the hillside and the ocean are breathtaking and the facilities themselves are beautiful.

The hotel actually owns most of the beautiful, unspoiled, surrounding area and we really enjoyed getting out to enjoy it. We all went on an amazing almost 2-hour horseback ride for only $60 for the 3 of us. My daughter and I went ziplining with the kind assistance of Carlos and "Pina" and my husband hiked through the tropical forest and discovered amazing rivers, waterfalls, and natural pools.

In general, the staff-- in particular Fidel-- was super nice and helpful-- they even offered to pack a cooler for us with water and softdrinks on the morning that we left for Bahia de Aguilas. The food at the restaurante was also great. We met the chef on the morning we left-- she makes killer majarete-- her own spin on a Dominican dessert. Don't miss it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank fridani
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Indeed. ...it' s really worth it!
Gorgeous ! Beautiful ! Very friendly staff.
Very nice pool, good food (maybe a bit too expensive!)
Bahia de la Aguilas ( 2 hours drive) is really worth the trip,
after 2 h drive it's a nice short boat trip to get there, the sand is amazing white
and the see amazing turquoise.. Never seen it sooo nice. (Only on postcards!!)
Loved to have a swim! And hope to go back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mady L
cape town
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We chose the lodge as we wanted to go to Bahia des Aguilas so only booked for two nights. We were unfortunately following the path that the tropical cyclone was too, so the day we arrived,we got there at lunch time, and spent entire afternoon and evening in room as it was pouring and pouring and pouring with rain. Staff were sweet and brought us our dinner to the room. There is no tv but wifi is good, nice when it's raining!! Food was good, staff very attentive and professional and friendly. Views and property were gorgeous. Pool super. Food a bit expensive but was v good quality. We were supposed to get a welcome gift and she didn't know about that, so didn't get anything, not a big deal though I guess. we didn't end up going to the special beach which was the whole reason for trip there, but instead spent day at pool, spa and exploring the local beaches and villages for photos, as the weather wasn't perfect and we didn't want to drive the 2 hour journey each way to be confronted by more rain.. Will have to go back and hopefully make it to the beach next time! Spa was really heavenly!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Philippad
Miami, Florida
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My wife, grandson and I stayed at Casa Bonita for a short 4 days. Looking back, I wish we would have booked it for a month. Even though we were in a hotel, we always felt as if we were in our own vacation home. The entire hotel staff was attentive, warm, and responsive to all of our needs. In fact, my wife and I made a request directly to the general manager, and within an hour, the request was fulfilled beyond our expectations. My wife and I received a wonderful spa treatment near the river which made our stress melt away. All of the tours and activities were planned in a manner that made us feel as if we were the only guest. We were never hurried or made to feel as if we were a bother, in fact, one of the masseuse stayed beyond her work schedule in order to accommodate our couples massage. The food was delicious!!! My wife, being Dominican, is very critical of hotel food in her own country. However, she raved about the meals and it's "homemade" quality and taste. The restaurant staff and the chef ensured that my 8 year old picky eater grandson alway looked forward to his meals. You cannot leave the hotel without trying the zip line or taking a stroll in the river. Casa Bonita is paradise!!!

Room Tip: Suite # 114...own private pool...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ruydye
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Casa Bonita has wonderful service and a wonderful view. Last year, we spent our first holiday together at Casa Bonita and in two weeks, we will return to Casa Bonita to relax and to celebrate another great year.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Los_Lokitos
Jarabacoa, Dominican Republic
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Although this hotel is practically in the middle of nowhere its well worth the trip if you are looking for a more unique hotel stay. The food is great and the prices are reasonable. Please do the zip line!

• Stayed December 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barahona
Casa del Mar Lodge
#5 of 6 in Barahona
Rancho Platon
Rancho Platon
#2 of 10 in Barahona

Been to Casa Bonita Tropical Lodge? Share your experiences!