“Spectacular views great food.”

Casa Bonita Tropical Lodge
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Although this hotel is practically in the middle of nowhere its well worth the trip if you are looking for a more unique hotel stay. The food is great and the prices are reasonable. Please do the zip line!

• Stayed: December 2012

Reviewed May 26, 2013

In may 2013, my family (3 couples, 2 bachelors and one baby) spent 2 wonderful days in this magnificent place with one of the most beautiful views of the beaches of the Caribbean, located in a tropical paradise surrounded by forests, near Barahona city, place without hordes of turists, having a support team extremely careful and active, allowing for a peaceful stay.

highly recommend especially for couples, birds watchers and for those who want to rest.

the view, special pool, spas, ecotourism service restaurant with excellent food, Creole and international, especially with seafood and Italian. Has only 12 cabins with panoramic views of the beach and a river, with stupendous vision.

only drawback is the absence of cable television.

According to the manager that deficiency must be resolved until July 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank stonob
Reviewed May 26, 2013

If you would like to avoid the tourist trap of the the other destinations in the Dominican Republic, this is the best that you could ever ask for. Perched above the beautiful beaches and mountains of Barahona, this is an oasis of relaxation, comfort, and high quality service. The grounds are extremely well designed, the outdoor spa is situated along a river in a tree canopy rainforest, and the pool and dining areas are fabulous. More than anything, the staff are kind, and always there to make you feel at home, but not pushy. This is a delightful hotel and I would certainly go back!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank jskiff
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I love Casa Bonita and I highly recommend this hotel. Everything in this hotel is perfect, The Customer Service is one of the best in this world. I stay in hotels at least every other month so I know what I'm talking about. They will do anything to make your stay pleasant. No request is too little or too big. They will go out the way to make you feel comfortable and relax. They have two guys at the swimming pool that they would come to you whenever you need them. They are there to help you with anything and by the next day they would even guess what do you need! I'm not exaggerating. Those guys work hard to make the customer feel like a queen or king for a day. Thanks so much to the 2 Lenny, Ohmar & Leo. You gave me the best vacation ever by being there for me when all I needed was to relax. When I got to the hotel I was very stressed out and when I left a very relax woman, I got a great lavender anti stress massage which I recommend that you get when you get there. The room are very clean and relax and the view is spectacular, I loved getting up in the morning looking at the ocean and the mountain, I booked three days and I added an extra day since I didn't want to leave.

The food was delicious and it's very fresh. The vegetable come from their own garden. If you have any request of how you want your food to be prepared the chef would do it for you. The prices are very reasonable too. Don't believe the prior review that the food was expensive. It is not true,
This place is to relax only therefore there is no nightlife. But you can ask anyone in the hotel and they will tell you about the local places to go out dancing. I went out one night and I danced a lot and had so much fun. The local places only play Latino Music though,

I want everyone to go to my second house now which is Casa Bonita in Barahona. I recommend it 100%. Before I went to Casa Bonita I had planned to visit a few countries for the next year and I'm about to cancel at least one so that I can be in Casa Bonita again.
If you have any questions about this hotel please write me at lilicastillo2@gmail.com.

Thanks gracias again to the whole staff of Casa bonita who took great care of me while I was there, De veras que se le agradece de corazon,

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank LilianaCastillo
Reviewed April 28, 2013

A true gem in the area and the only place we would stay on that portion of the island. My husband and I just spent a week at this hotel and it was comfortable and pleasant. The main areas of the hotel (lobby, open-air lounge, pool area, and especially the restaurant/bar) offer an excellent ambiance with wonderful views and a clean tropical aesthetic. The rooms themselves are spacious with great little private decks (though do understand that the rooms, at least where we stayed, are adjoining in a staggered fashion, so directly back and to the right of our deck was the other deck, and so on).The rooms were kept clean and the beds were quite comfortable. The air conditioning and fan were in great working order. The only real downside to the room as far as we could see was that there was no little fridge to store food and water – an important feature if you do not plan to eat all meals at the hotel and/or want to pack lunches to head out for a beach day. Granted, given that electricity itself can be a bit of a commodity in the area, this is to be expected and is understandable. For those who prefer to stay in the hotel all day, and do things such as spa treatments, swim in a pool, drink, rest, etc, the atmosphere would be quite luxurious. The hotel did inform us that they had trail bikes and trails available to use, a zip line, and a few other activities, though we spent most of our time “out and about” in the area. For the adventurous and confident driver (hint hint), we recommend having a car and going out to see what the rest of the area is truly like – because the hotel definitely provides an oasis of luxury in an otherwise far-from-luxurious area. Don't get us wrong, though, that's what we wanted! That's why we drove the 4-5 hours from Santo Domingo to stay at Casa Bonita; we wanted to be able to explore and see the “real” Dominican but to also have a safe, comfortable, and happy place to return to each night – and that is exactly what we got. If you rent a car, this hotel makes a wonderful base. The town of Barahona makes a good place to get provisions (there are two supermarkets withing a block of each other, Supermercado Jacob and HYM supermercado), restaurants, a chain pizza place similar to Pizza Hut (called Pala Pizza) a BON ice cream store on a park and numerous little clothing and gift shops. Do be aware that stores are open typically from 9-5 so if you need provisions get them prior to 5. There is also a great little restaurant that makes totally delicious pizza called Hollywood Parador maybe 30 minutes or so west of the hotel and makes a fun and inexpensive dinner out. As far as the hotel itself, what stood out to us was the staff. As many reviewers point out, the staff here is what really sets it apart. They are professional, pleasant, and willing to do whatever it takes. The front office always had someone in it ready to great us, even at odd hours of the night when we returned and the restaurant staff was amazing. There were several men who waited on our tables at our meals and they were quite pleasant and professional. The dining service provided was akin to what one may find in a very nice restaurant back in the US. The food was delicious, too! Breakfasts were totally amazing with plenty to choose from and fresh fruits, breads & jam, coffees, juices, etc, were always provided. If we had been the type to stick around and lounge at the hotel, eating every single meal there would have been an entirely happy experience. Another “must do” in our opinion was to make the trek to Bahia de las Aguilas, which is about a 2 hour and 15 minute drive towards the Haiti border. From a small village there you can hire a boat to take you on a 15 minute boat ride to one of the most spectacular beaches we have seen (and we have traveled to Tahiti, Bora Bora, Puerto Rico, etc). I do believe the hotel can help set you up in this regard, as well. We also found a fabulous beach with not a soul on it near the hotel. After turning right out of the driveway, there is a left hand road that parallels the coast. After a minute or two of driving through a little community, there will be a full beach in sight and parking the car on the edge of the road worked well. Just understand that the waves all over this side of the island were fairly rough and we were not able to actually swim or enter the water anywhere except for the Bahia de las Aguilas I mentioned earlier. This is vital to know if you plan on staying at Casa Bonita for a “beach vacation”. We learned to adapt by making the long haul for two days of unbeatable beaching at Aguilas. Overall, Casa Bonita definitely gets two thumbs up from us and will be our destination of choice if we return to the island. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the common areas are immaculate, and the staff is as friendly as one would hope. We enthusiastically recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Narcissse529
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Our family of 7 just enjoyed a wonderful time at Casa Bonita. From the time we arrived, we received excellent service (despite a mix-up with our rooms which was quickly resolved).

We live in the Dominican Republic, so we drove in. We were very impressed when, the following day, we went out and discovered our vehicle had been washed.

The rooms were very nice, and clean (a big thing with my wife). The infinity pool was a hit with my children who absolutely loved it (we have 5 children).

The second night we were able to stay in the Honeymoon Suite which is about 4 times larger than a regular room. Absolutely amazing - well-decorated, beautiful views (as all the rooms do)...

A nice surprise was the quality of the restaurant. A lot of detail is put into every meal, whether breakfast, dinner or just a snack. This is the best food we've eaten in the Dominican, hands-down.

We didn't tour the area much, seeing as live in the country, but there seems to be lots of things to do, with a nearby beach that's apparently very nice. The hotel grounds itself also offers tennis and other amenities (though we just swam and relaxed).

Room Tip: If you're a family of more than 5, book the honeymoon suite instead of 2 separate rooms. It'...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We are from Europe and spent a few days at the Hotel in January. Here are the up and downs.
Ups. Gorgeous view, nice pool, nice rooms, beautiful restaurant, good drinks, attentive staff who aim to please, very nice food, zip lining was a delight and the spa is out of this world.
Downs: The hotels needs to be updated. Broken lounge chairs, the deck around the pool is is cracked and needs repair and the front desk staff is highly inadequate. The hotel could be a five star hotel but is really run like a three star. The housekeeping is below average and the upkeep of the hotel all around is below average. They don't even have a car to take you to the beach...everything seems to be run in this below luxury standard way. However, we had a nice time on our couples get-a-way. The best part of the spa which was magical. I reccomend the stone massage. Heaven by the river.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple