“Absolutely amazing”

Casa Bonita Tropical Lodge
Reviewed November 13, 2011

We stayed at this luxury hotel in the first week of November 2011. We had an excellent stay. The hotel is beautiful and the staff was very accommodating to our every need. It is not right on the coast but excellent nearby beaches are minutes away and if you are feeling adventurous, Bahia De Las Aguilas is also close by. Two things you cannot miss at this hotel. The queso al horno they have available for dinner and the massages at the spa. Our couples romantic massage at dusk right next to the river was unforgettable. We will definitely be back to this amazing place. Thank you Casa Bonita.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 13, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights in August.

With just 12 rooms this high end boutique hotel can afford to offer a personal service & that's exactly what it does, from the moment you arrive & are greeted by name with a welcome drink!

Casa Bonita is a great place to use as a base whilst exploring the surrounding area or, to spend the day relaxing by the beautiful pool.

Anyone completing a little research would realise this is not a beach front property & can see from the pictures the infinity pool is just great & plenty big enough.

The zipline was amazing as well, don't miss it!

We had a lovely evening drink at the bar whilst listening & dancing Bachata. Even got a waiter to have a dance.

We had one poor meal, beef & fish were both dry, possibly both overcooked. And one good one. The air-con was temperamental on just one occasion however this could have been user error!

So why have we given Casa Bonita top marks?

I guess because of the atmosphere, personal service & shear elegance. You have to remember you are not staying in a Marriott or Radisson Blu in the middle of London.

Roberto & his team do a great job 3 hours hard drive from Santo Domingo & anything comparable!

Room Tip: All the rooms seem similar & face the same way.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa_n_Grant
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We stayed the last week of August and had a great time. From the moment we got out of the car we were greeted by cordial hotel staff and offered delicious passion fruit cocktails. We stayed in the lap of luxury. Days were spent lounging by the infinity pool, hiking and swimming through waterfalls in the nearby river and taking in the sights of the near by beaches. At night, after enjoying fresh seafood and plantains in the local town, we would grab dessert and drinks on the deck overlooking the ocean and watch the sunset. The scenery was beautiful. It was rustic but very enjoyable. The staff was always pleasant and helpful throughout our stay. Would couldn't have asked for better accommodations or service.

Room Tip: There are a lot of tourist traps in the nearby town you should avoid, especially the artisan craft h...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 15, 2011

The only thing good about this place is the view. The hotel is not a beach front property, it is up on a hill and below it are people living in shacks and animals roaming the area. The pool is very small and the food is terrible.
This place is not worth the 4hr drive from the airport or the price they charge.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank Kindercamp
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We just finished our third stay at Casa Bonita in the Dominican Republic. We love this place! The experience is truly unique and rewarding. As you leave the ant hill hustle and bustle of the capitol city of Santo Domingo and begin the drive southwest, any tension and stress you may feel begins to evaporate like dew before the sun. The three hour drive alternates between emerging city life and countryside tranquility. Roadside fruit stands and craftsmen wares, as well as banana and plantain groves interspersed with mango orchards. This is NOT a drive to make if you are in a hurry. There are produce trucks, vans, and high occupancy motorcycles, and slow moving vehicles all along the way, most of which is a narrow two-lane highway. Caution is the watchword when driving in the DR, and you definitely don't want to make this drive at night. Plan your time accordingly and enjoy the trip along the way. Let the anticipated reward at your journey's end keep you focused. It is sooooo worth it!

And what do you find once you arrive at Casa Bonita?

First of all, remember you are out in the country, with only small towns for about two hours in any direction. The turn off from the main highway is a dirt road. Yes, that's right, dirt. It is not a cobblestone grand entryway complete with sculptured landscape and lit up with a bazillion lights. Quite the contrary. It is a short, but steep drive up a hill for about 100 meters (roughly a bit longer than a football field.) Now, let me just say that if you are looking for TV, movies, weight room, entertainment, internet, and lots of activities, etc., then go to one of the all-inclusive resorts which are plentiful in this beautiful country. Casa Bonita is a true resort - a place to escape to for rest, relaxation, and the peace necessary to unwind. It is NOT marble floors, bubbles, feathers, and 3-inch plush carpet. I think it is best described in three words - Simple Rustic Elegance. This is a place where you step out of your car and into a small lobby; then out of the lobby and into a surreal dream dimension. The staff are kind and friendly, but not hovering. They seem to appear when you need them and then flow back to their duties almost imperceptibly. They also are sensitive and adjust quickly to your individual wants and needs. For example, my wife and I do not drink alcohol, coffee, tea, or smoke tobacco. The staff immediately adjusted and served us some of the most incredible and refreshing fruit drinks we have ever tasted! (The non-alcoholic Mojito - lime juice and lemon basil - is to die for, and the non-alcoholic Pina Colada is the best anywhere.) The General Manager, Robert Nolasco, is a talented administrator, and his skill as a leader is evident in the attitude of self-satisfaction and general happiness exhibited by the staff.

My favorite feature at Casa Bonita is the infinity pool - a pool where you glide slowly through the water and gaze out across the infinite horizon of the Caribbean Sea. Time and space seem to blend and I feel like I am walking in that dream-like dimension between sleep and wakening where worry, stress, responsibility, and need, seem to disappear. I never want to leave. I want to exist there forever and have everything freeze and remain exactly as it is.

When I do pull myself away from the infinity pool, the other features of Casa Bonita are no less disappointing. A wonderful open air restaurant with fabulous food - especially if you like seafood. The catch of the day is literally what was caught in the sea in front of the hotel just an hour or so before you eat it. We have tried a different menu item at every meal and have been pleased with each one. Some could even be described as "a party in your mouth." The food is a bit pricey, but that is what the word "luxury" implies, so, it shouldn't be surprising.

There are 12 villas to stay in, and therefore, even at full capacity, there are not that many people around. The rooms are small, but the beds are comfortable, and each has a nice deck where you can sit and watch the sunset if you want some privacy. The air conditioners can be faulty at times, but the staff are quick to try and repair them and see to your comfort. You should keep in mind that power outages are a daily occurrence in the Dominican Republic, and that can take a toll on electronic equipment of any kind. Remember, you are out in the country, at a small hotel. A little understanding and tolerance on your part will go a long way towards getting any problems resolved. We had air conditioning problems during our second stay, and a repair was made while we were eating dinner. However, following a power outage in the middle of the night, our air conditioner became nothing more than a fan and not a cooler. (We stayed in the same room just two weeks later during our most recent stay and we actually had to turn the air off for a little while it got so cold!) The bathrooms are very small and narrow, and have gotten poor reviews from others, but hey, I don't go to a place like this to spend a lot of time in the bathroom. If you want a bathroom where you can hang out and vegetate, then just get a room in a nice hotel in the city. The attraction at Casa Bonita is outside not in the bathroom! (I do have to metion that my wife and I love the wood floor in the shower and are thinking of putting something like that in our next home.)

There are many other amenities offered at the hotel like horseback riding, spa treatments, and a zip line. I haven't tried those things out yet, always like to leave something for the next visit. Probably won't try the horses since I have been thrown off of every horse I've ever been on. (Five in total.) I'm told they can smell the fear on me. (DUH!) My wife had a pedicure during our second visit and she claims it is the best she has ever had. She was going to get one during this visit but we ran out of time. You see, that's the problem with Casa Bonita...you get lost in time. Then, when reality hits you, it is like waking up late for work and realizing you have to get a move on...but yet, you yearn to linger in your dreams and never wake up. The weird thing is now that I am back home, and I go to sleep, I can almost touch Casa Bonita in my waking moments. Now that makes every day a great day to start with.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
6  Thank Dutchcook
Reviewed June 17, 2011

A weak ago for the first time I went to Barahona for a visit with friends, and
We stayed at Casa Bonita Tropical Lodge.
Unfortunately it was just for a weekend, as this place is truly beautiful and service
here is a top notch and I wouldn’t mind staying here much longer!
Nature surrounding Casa Bonita is just breath taking!
Quiet little place that makes you feel at home and mix it with good food , great employees, good management it’s obviously a perfect combination, As we will most certainly will be back!

We are so looking forward for our next escape to Casa Bonita!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank Diamond_extreme
Reviewed April 11, 2011

I have been there with a group of friends just last week. It was one of the wonderful weekend that I ever had. The beautiful small river, wonderful view from your bedroom from the pool and from the bar, from everywhere. You can have a walk along the small path down the hill crossing the small river and having a massage by the river. Everything was so perfect. I wish I could come back again. The staff were very helpful as well. However, the beach in this area has a strong current, not good for swimming but at the end you'll forget about that if you are staying in this wonderful hotel. And I love the hot water jacuzzi they have there.!!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barahona
Casa del Mar Lodge
#17 of 80 in Santo Domingo
Sublime Samana
Sublime Samana
#2 of 35 in Las Terrenas

Been to Casa Bonita Tropical Lodge? Share your experiences!