“Excelent service!!”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Tapachula
Cozumel, Mexico
“Excelent service!!”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

This place is great! Just two blocks of downtown Tapachula, they offer great service. Staff and owner are always helpful and courteous. They also have an is house restaurant that offers great meals and killer margaritas at accessible prices. It is a very good option while coming to Tapachula City

Room Tip: rooms away from the street are quieter
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Carlos R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Guatemala City, Guatemala
Reviewed April 11, 2014

The hotel was excellent in every sense. Service with Héctor and Jorge was superb, accomodating my every need. The patio to the restaurant was verdant and special. I applaud the manager, Jorge, for his attention to the turn-of-the-century Mexican detail, including Barroque styles from that part of the century.
The meals were very succulent, and I applaud the chef.
I will stay there again.

Richard

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank rick292006
Bucerias, Mexico
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Casa Mexicana is a true delight to one who appreciates folkart and history and excellent service. The hotel is situated three blocks walking distance from the museum, zocalo (central plaza) and shopping district. A lovely old home which has been converted into a hotel and restaurant and not only caters to its' guests but the local clientele. The restaurant serves delicious breakfasts which are included with your room but do stay for lunch and treat yourselves to dinner there as well. Great homemade soups and martinis by the patio relaxing at the side of the pool with soft music playing, what could better?

Our host was more than helpful in giving advice and directions and finding us a wonderful guide which we cannot recommend highly enough...Arturo of Macaw tours not only helped us in Guatamala with our visas but took us for a wonderful tour to the coffee highlands and cacao plantations. He also has a sailboat for those who wish to explore the coastline. We definitely recommend Casa Mexicana and Macaw tours for travellers to Tapachula. Enjoy!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Reviewed January 15, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Casa Mexicana (Tapachula) a couple of weeks ago, for 2 nigths. It's a very charming place, very unique, warm and colorful. We may have been the only guests in the hotel at the time... Not sure. Each of the 10 rooms is dedicated to a famous Mexican woman; we were in Sor Juana's room, which is all the way at the end of the hall (by the shower of the pool), on the 1st floor. The room was comfortable and colorful, the bathroom clean. One thing I've noticed in hotels in Chiapas is the absence of clocks in their rooms, this hotel is no exceptions. I would recommend they add one, but if it's not a big deal if you carry a watch or a cell phone.
Note that (and perhaps because we were the only clients) you have to ask them to turn on the hot water in the morning if you want a hot shower. The 1st morning, I spent 15 minutes in the bathroom waiting for the shower to get hot, until I decided to send my husband to ask the staff about it. They explained that they have to turn it on (I'm not sure I get why, but I suggest they simply turn the hot water on in the morning instead of making their guests ask for it).
Breakfast was included and was pleasantly served in the outdoor/covered restaurant near the pool. Both days we opted for the huevos rancheros, which I found very good.
The atmosphere was very calm (they played very relaxing music the whole time we were there) and the service very good.
Tapachula is a very busy city, loud and dusty. So, if you have to stay there for any reason, I highly recommend Casa Mexicana; a calm retreat in the midst of "chaos", and a short walk from the center of town.
Also, Manuel (the hotel manager) speaks English, which was much appreciated by us who only speak English, French and Italian. ;-)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Helene C
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Reviewed October 16, 2013

This an excellent small hotel. Very pretty, full of art and culture, just the hotel worth the visit to this town. It is perfect if you want to do Ruta del Café and you don't want to stay in expensives cabanas in the Haciendas. You can easily do ruta del cafe and come back to this excellente small gem. However, there is only ine thin I'd like to add ( which for me is only part of the adventure ).
We got to Tapachula under heavy rain. I had the beginning of a cold. They offer a parking space in the premises ( which is great and actually a compliment) it only has access to the hotel through the street or through the hotel's kitchen. They didn't allow me to go through the kitchen even though it was raining dogs and cats. The personnel in charge said "el jefe", "el jefe". I think "el jefe" must be very rude that their employees are so afraid of him as to not allow a guest with a cold go through a kitchen under heavy heavy rain. I got soaked .... but at least "el jefe" didn't get mad.

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful ask to be changed from rooms every time possible if you are willing, all are...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 5, 2013

This place is very pretty and the staff are excellent and very friendly. We had not planned to stay here originally as we had booked our stay in the Finca Argovia, however on the day we where due to check in to the Finca, they informed us that they had double booked us and we would have to stay elsewhere. We were very concerned to have been let down at such short notice and felt a little worried about finding alternative accommodation. However we were really lucky to find the Casa Mexicana. The place is very pretty and the staff are really friendly. The breakfast was included free of charge and was served in a beautiful open air patio area beside the pool. There was also a was a great choice. The food and service is fantastic and we also enjoyed a lovely dinner out on the patio. The wifi was very fast and reliable which was a real bonus and allowed us to skype home without any problems. This is a great hotel!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Aoife M
Antigua, Guatemala
Reviewed October 5, 2013

It was time for me to renew my tourist visa (I live in Guatemala and have to exit the country every 6 months).

Based on the solid Trip Advisor reviews, and gushing recommendations by friends here in Antigua, I booked three nights at the gorgeous Casa Mexicana.

I drove through Tapachula once. It is not a conventionally attractive city so I was not particularly excited about spending time there.

Casa Mexicana quickly changed that. It is - as another reviewer described - truly an "oasis" in Tapachula and I can't say enough nice things about this unique property.

The hotel is a beautifully restored colonial mansion.that is filled with colorful, whimsical art. Every room is dedicated to a famous Mexican woman, and there is a description of each woman's unique role in history.

I was very impressed by Casa Mexicana's staff - everyone I met was committed and dedicated to making me feel comfortable and happy. I spent time with Manuel (one of CM's owners) and he was incredibly helpful and kind.

My room was very comfortable and relaxing. WiFi was good and the air-conditioning was much appreciated, as the weather was hot and humid.

The free breakfast is outstanding - I especially loved the pancakes, which were fluffy and delicious. I even ate dinner at the hotel restaurant for the three nights that I was there, which is not something that I usually do, as I like to get out and explore. But the food was so excellent that I didn't feel a need to go elsewhere.

The Chicken Mole, with its smoky, authentic flavor, is one of the best I've ever had (and I've spent quite a bit of time in Chiapas and Oaxaca tasting mole). Manuel, one of the hotel's owners, explained that the chef has been cooking mole since she was 6 years old. She clearly knows what she is doing. I wish I could have brought her home with me!

Oh, and Rene makes fantastic margaritas. I highly recommend them.

Manuel helped me schedule a massage at a local holistic spa and when I expressed interest in locally produced cheeses and ingredients for mole, he drove me to the mercado and introduced me to his favorite cheesemonger along with a woman who makes Oaxacan style mole paste (to bring home).

I was also looking for a lucha libre (wrestling) mask, and Manuel went above and beyond to help me find the right shop and walked me down there himself.

I was sad when it was time to leave Casa Mexicana because I felt like I was leaving a friend's home - not a hotel.

I look forward to a return visit and encourage anyone who is visiting Tapachula to stay at this magical boutique hotel. I would not even think about staying anywhere else in town.

If, like me, you need to renew a 90 day tourist visa, Casa Mexicana is a perfect place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo