“Not bad but needs to install airconditioning in the private rooms.”

La Posada Chetumal Hostel
Reviewed April 18, 2013

La Posada Chetumal Hostel apparently is a new hostel in the city of Chetumal . I spent 17 nights consecutively in the hostel , here are from my viewpoints the good and the not-so-good aspects.

GOOD : great location on a residential avenue Venustiano Carranza, safe and secure at all times; it is 3-5 minutes from a local supermarket called Super Bodega, close to ATMs of HSBC at the side of the supermarket, plenty of small restaurants on Avenida San Salvador only 5 minutes from the hostel.

The hostel oner-manager, a vivacious lady by the first name of Olga, lives in the hostel and is always available to answer any queries on the hostel and on the city of Chetumal attractions; just ask . She also understands English and French.

Breakfast is included in the price : it is sel-served and you are expected to clean after yourself the cups, glasses and plates you did use; cereal, milk, eggs, slice bread and coffee. No additional cost.

You can relax on the living room couch, use a computer to e-mail friends and family and you can also use the verandah to smoke a few cigarettes. Use of the living room TV to watch movies or dvds or news.

The beds are comfortable, daily cleaning of the place is provided by the staff of 2 , also living on the hostel grounds.

Not-So-Good :

Chetumal is a hot and humid city , the hostel building is made of blocks. Expect to really sweat and suffer the heat as the hostel is NOT airconditioned; it is really hard to fall to sleep and relax in your room if you are sweating hard. The owner-manager of the hostel assured me she will install air-conditioning in the three private rooms before next September 2013.
If you cannot stand the heat inside , it is best to check other hostels which provide air-conditioning.

Room Tip: Ask for a private room with window and access to a balcony.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank vnazaire

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I stayed here the two times I've been to Chetumal, and it already feels like home. Olga and her family are most welcoming and will go out of their way to best acommodate each guest. The
place is impeccably clean and comfortable, I don't think I've slept in sheets that smell so good since I've left home! Highly recommend!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank ElmafromLithuania
Reviewed April 13, 2013

La Posada Chetumal Hostel B&B; La Posada Chetumal Hostel is the best place to enjoy your trip through southern Maya area in the State of Quintana Roo. México. They are in the last city of Mexico in the border with Belize; their Hostel is located in a central avenue Venustiano Carranza # 481, Chetumal, you can get a Taxi for US 2.00 or 20 Mexican pesos, from the airport or walk 8 blocks if you don't have many luggage, very a safe, clean and quiet place to stay. The location address is nearby 5 minutes from Museum of Mayan Culture, 7 minutes from the beautiful Bay of Chetumal, and 10 minutes from the Manatee Sanctuary. There are also very close to several tourist sites of great natural beauty such as Calderitas, El Palmar, Xcalac, Laguna Milagros, Mahahual, Bacalar. Also nearby important archaeological sites such as: Oxtankah, Dzibanche Kinichná and Kohunlich. And there are 10 minutes from Belize Border or also 10 minutes from "El Muelle Fiscal" of Chetumal where you get the Water Jet to go to San Pedro and Caye Caulker -Belize. I recommend this place 100%!!! visit the web site: http://www.laposadachetumalhostel.com.mx/

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank sismercado
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We got stuck in Chetumal over the Eater Holidays trying to make our way to Belize. The best place to get stuck, family run hostel and we couldn't fault them. Had booked a private room which was unable to be accommodated, so we had a 6 bed dorm with ensuite to ourselves. Fast Internet, couch and TV with plenty of movies, even POPCORN! Fully equipped kitchen and the best hostel breakfast set up by far......just help yourself.
Would definately stay again!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank megarden
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Olga can't do enough for you. Especially when it comes to sorting out onward travel to Belize. She helped us with phone calls and printing for no extra charges
Room good size
Kitchen fully equipped and close to big supermarket so perfect for eating in
TV, wifi
Hot shower
Towels provided
Excellent value

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank missykap
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I stayed here from February 19th to the 22nd. I spent the first and last night in a private room upstairs and the night of the 20th in the female dorm room on the main floor.
La Posada Chetumal is a short taxi ride from the bus station (cost me 50 pesos). I booked through hostelbookers.com because I was unaware of the availability of booking on the hostel's website, laposadachetumalhostel.com.mx. After I made my booking, I received an email from Olga confirming my reservation. She was very quick to reply to my emails any any questions or concerns I had.

I ended up booking a different flight than I had originally planned and Olga was very kind to accommodate my changes.

When I arrived to the hostel at night time, Olga showed me around her place, then showed me my private room upstairs at the front of the house. The room was clean, the beds were nicely made with fresh sheets and clean pillow cases. The room had an oscillating fan on the ceiling which kept the room cool and comfortable for sleeping. The large bathroom was across the hall from my room. There was also a large terrace/balcony upstairs with comfortable hammock chairs and tables. Wifi reached this room and the terrace just fine, which made it a comfortable quiet space to skype.
The female dorm room had six beds and a private bathroom. I was the only traveler in this room the night I stayed so it was quite peaceful. Conveniently there were huge lockers that would fit just about anything you would be travelling with.

Over the three days that I stayed at La Posada Chetumal, Olga continuously went out of her way for me, more than I would have ever expected! She is warm and inviting, and very motherly with all of her guests. Many times when asking her for approval to do something, her response would be, "You are free, this is YOUR house!".

She has lots of informational brochures for Belize and other places in Mexico, and if you need help booking the water taxi to San Pedro or Caye Caulker, just ask!

Olga and the rest of La Posada Chetumal family are constantly cleaning - the entire place is spotless. Guests are free to hang out anywhere and there is a TV in the common area (they have a lot of movies to choose from too).
Breakfast is included in your room rate here, and there are often other munchies laying around throughout the day.

On my way back to Cancun from Belize I stopped in and visited with Olga for a little while and I didn't want to leave. It felt like I was home again...

When you arrive in Chetumal, be sure to have the address handy for the taxi drivers to ensure they take you to the right place. Olga is a fantastic woman, and you won't regret your stay with her!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank PlanetChar
Reviewed March 15, 2013

The only minus is that the hostel is a little out of the town centre, but the hostel owners friendly attitude more than makes up for that! She went with me to the laundry to help explain the need for an express clean! She also arranged our tickets to get to Caye Caulker. And the fun wee had explaining we wanted wedges with our dominos pizza was great!
If you are staying in Chetamal n want a clean, relaxed and mega helpful/friendly hostel, Stay here!

• Stayed: March 2013