“Nice hostel in Chetumal”
Review of Hostel Paakal

and 1 more site!
Hostel Paakal
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We spent a night at this hostel on our way to Belize. It is well maintained, clean and the breakfast buffet is very good. Unfortunately, our reservation was misplaced but there was one room vacant when we arrived. A bit difficult to find, so use a taxi driver if you are arriving after dark. Beds are fair, place is clean, staff is friendly. Good place for a stop-over.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lovecr_9

Reviewed December 8, 2013

A lovely well maintained spotlessly clean property. We had the twin room with the balcony outside, the bathroom was shared which we would not normally book but there were few people to share with so it was no problem. Betty the owner is lovely and although not speaking English and our Spanish poor was helpful and if you really need a translation she will ring her husband. The breakfast is plentiful and varied, a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank judybrazil
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stayed here one night before crossing the border to Belize and thought it was a great hostel although I didn't think much of Chetumal itself. The place was easy to find, the staff were friendly and accommodating (my Spanish sucks), very clean and was very good value. I was here in the off season and had the whole place to myself so I can't say anything for the atmosphere but the owners were nice and I was glad that they let me store my motorcycle behind closed gates in their courtyard. I would highly recommend staying here if you are looking for a cheap and clean place that is close to Chetumal.

Room Tip: The back rooms would have less road noise but cost more as they are private and not dorm style rooms...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank 422EricB
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I crossed the border from Belize to Mexico and decided to spend the night in Chetumal. The hostel is great, clean, the owner is lovely and prices are reasonable. Good location, although the city itself doesn't have lots to offer, except for resting, getting supplies, and a good point to go to Laguna Bacalar.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Oded Z
Reviewed May 17, 2013

If you come to Chetumal to further to or through Belize or come from there, this Hostel's location is very convenient, because it's close to the bus station for those travels. It's very clean, very spacey, has a good kitchen - and for some travellers coming from wheresoever it will be a very special treat to stay there.

Room Tip: You might not want to choose the room where in front of your window people can play ping-pong on the...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed the night of March 28 ; the avenue it is located on is a high traffic one but inside the property it is free of outside noise.

Large reception area and two rooms large in the breakfast-kitchen area. A personnel of two greets the hostel clients at breakfast time.

What is missing : Internet service inside the rooms as it is now available in the common area through wi-fi. No towel is provided but only on a pay per towel use; no soap is provided in the bathroom; the mattress is not bad but not good either.

The good : airconditioned, good quality furniture, a buiding in excellent condition.

Room Tip: Ask for the private room with private ensuite bathroon.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank vnazaire
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I staid here a week, because I'd been traveling for long, and wanted to have a rest. This was a good place for that: A proper kitchen to cook my own meal, read my book in the garden, practice some spanish and watch tv. There are clean dorms, and a few double bedrooms. I stayed most of the time with my boyfriend in a spacious double room with ven and airco. Only the mattress was not the one I would have bought at home. The hostel is also a good place to stay for the night on your journey. Don't forget to see the Maya museum here in Chetumal. I'm not very much into cultural museums, but this one got all my attention.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrea S
hostelPaakals, General Manager at Hostel Paakal, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Thanks for visiting the shelter home is paakal serve and to serve them as they deserve with the kindness that characterizes us and to make your stay as comfortable as home