“There are two of these hotels - old & new - old one is average”
Review of Hotel Marlon

Hotel Marlon
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Chetumal
Reviewed May 2, 2012

Only stayed in Chetumal because of the need to cross into Belize and onto Guatemala the next day. Hotel was clean and water hot. Air conditioning very noisy. Staff not especially helpful whcih if the problem for me. Breakfast average.

Stayed: April 2012

Reviewed March 10, 2012

After a long drive finding a clean hotel was all we needed - and indeed Marlon is clean, beds comfortable, bathroom large and fully equipped. We had a dinner at their hotel restaurant and the food was really fine.
But the elevator was out of service and we had a lot of the luggage... Nobody helped us.
When we checked out the receptionist asked for the remote control. We had left it in the room and we had to go upstairs and take it otherwise we had to pay for it.
And in the first floor hall right after the stairs there was a small pond of water witch was very dangerous... For 2 days and one night no one cleaned the water so to avoid slipping!

From our room we had a biew on a stable with porks and ducks (I believe) who woke us up in the morning.

I am sure you can find an equally clean and comfortable room for less money and with more helpful and polite staff.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Actually May 2010, after a drive up from Sarteneja, Belize this was a welcome respite. It was very clean, family friendly, with a restaurant attached, however when we were there it was closed and we ate at the sister restaurant Grand Marlon across the street. The rooms were comfortable and it was easy to find.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 10, 2011

Stayed at Hotel Marlon for a stopover one night whilst on our way to Belize. Hotel was average, but there were certainly no complaints.
Room was large, basic and clean, with a comfortable bed - along with a balcony and efficient air-conditioning. Arrived late evening and then left early morning - did not encounter enough staff to make a comment on the hotel's service (but our check-in was fine).
Hotel was in (what seemed to be) a very boring part of town - however I got the feeling that most of Chetumal is like this! Had a comfortable sleep and was refreshed for our early start in the morning. Perfectly adequate hotel for a one stay/stopover.

• Stayed: January 2011
2  Thank liss0502
Reviewed December 1, 2010

My family and I stayed at Gran Marlon’s on many previous occasions. We are from Belize and we always go to Chetumal for pleasure. We usually make our reservations by phone and pay upon arrival. In the summer of this year, we showed up as usual, with prior reservations, and we were surprised at the cold reception we got. I don’t know if management has since changed but this is not the same Gran Marlon’s reception we were accustomed to.

The lady at the front desk related to us without any hesitation that all the rooms were full. I asked her to check again because we made reservation and we were promised 2 double rooms payable upon our arrival. The stern - faced receptionist stated that she can only offer us accommodations at the rundown Motel Marlon, in front of them. Perhaps she deems the rundown motel more ‘fitting’ for our standard.

I exited the Hotel and stood across the street, from where I called the same receptionist on a cell phone, pretending to be a tourist from the US, on my second honeymoon. She bought the story, and miraculously, not only were there rooms available, but the very resourceful receptionist, who just refused us service, was willing to hold the room for me until late that night. She even offered the name of her relief, in case her shift was over when I arrived.

I don’t think I'll b staying at Marlon's again, as I rather go where my hard earned cash is appreciated. On a good note, my family and I went to Los Cocos Hotel for a few more bucks, but the money was well spent as the service was remarkable and the staff was very professional. Really, we were disappointed about the Gran Marlon's experience, but we soon recuperated in the Jacuzzi at Los Cocos Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
8  Thank Unhappytourist76
Reviewed September 23, 2008

We have been visiting Chetumal and staying at the Marlon Hotel every year for 14 years. We are very happy with the service and house keeping. Price vs. quality, were happy. Our favorite part has to be the restaurant. It has never failed in 14 years to provide quality, service and affordability. If you are looking for a 5 star hotel, this is only a 4 star at 3 star prices. It is definitely worth the price and has a pool, internet etc. This is 1/3 the price of Holiday Inn. So do not expect Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ContentedHere
Reviewed May 20, 2007

This hotel was a nightmare. First let me tell you that I am the least picky person when it comes to hotels. All I need is a clean bed and nice staff and I am content.
The first problem was we needed 2 nights stay and they could only give us one, but didn't tell us till after they took my credit card. The room itself was a mess. There were ants crawling all over one of the beds, the mattress was like sleeping on a rock, which we almost were, since the 5" thick mattress was sitting on a cement block.
When I got ready to take a shower, I couldn't find the towels, so I called to get us some. They brought one up, but they knew it was two of us in the room. As we were headed out for a nite in town, the receptionist asked if we had found the towels and when I said yes, that I had finally found them, she made me go back up to my room and get them for her. (Why did she them at 11pm?)
And of course, in the morning, we were woke up by all the construction noice from across the street. At 7 am on a Saturday morning.
To say the least, you'd be better off spending the night in a rental car!!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank gonzzita