“Far exceeded our expectations”
Review of Dzibanche

Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Chetumal
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Ancient Mayan city with impressive pyramids and buildings.
Reviewed February 21, 2015

I didn't think this trip was going to happen. I had tried to book a visit to Kobunlich and Dzibanche in advance and just didn't have any luck. But fortunately as we were leaving Casitas Carolina for breakfast on our first morning, my husband asked Modesto who is one of the staff members there if he knew of anyone who does that kind of tour. He came up with Reggie who was a real jem. Before we knew it, Reggie had hired a cab (another jem named Candelaria, cab #36) and we were on our way to both sites. Reggie's explanation of the history, the Mayan calendar and the architecture was complete and insightful. A real bonus was that we were able to see restoration at work with workers making the fine sand needed for stucco and others applying the stucco with tiny spatulas. The howler monkeys provided tremendous roars as a backdrop to this exquisite tour. As we left, the spider monkeys seemed to all gather on cue for our departure. What an experience! Reggie's email is ReginoSeptiembre2012@hotmail.com.

Date of experience: February 2015
"archaeological site"
"bottled water"
"great site"

Reviewed January 18, 2015

My wife and I took the excursion for Dzibanche and Kohunlich Mayan ruins. We had gone to San Gervasio on Cozumel Island the day before. Dzibanche was the first of the two that we visited and we were blown away by the size of these ruins. I wasn't overly excited to climb the ruins as it seemed like a destructive thing to do, but I ended up doing it for the experience as well as the vantage point to see more detail. There was some reconstruction going on during our visit and it was interesting to see how they put these ruins back together.

It is a long drive from Costa Maya, but our bus was very comfortable (then again, it was only 80 degrees in January.) This site has a good history and some great detail that does add to the Kohunlich site which is a bit larger and awe inspiring. When leaving Dzibanche you will be able to see ruins in the hills across from the park and if you keep a sharp eye you can see other ruins all over the area.

4  Thank BrianParsons
Reviewed January 12, 2015

If you are into history, this is the place. We took the Princess excursion to Dzibanche and Kohunlich which is about 1/2 hour from here. This is an all day bus tour from the Costa Maya port. It takes 2-2.5 hours one way to the sites. We took a nice air conditioned bus. The sites are amazing piece of 300-600 AD Mayan history. You are free to climb around and explore. The other plus is that the sites are not tourist traps. There are very few people at the sites. Fairly easy walking and climbing. There are rest rooms at each site. Not a handicap friendly place.

6  Thank usa_banjo
Reviewed January 6, 2015

We used the Native Choice tour to get to Dzibanche from our cruise ship in Costa Maya. They were excellent as was our guide Erick. While the drive to get to Dzibanche is long, this site is nothing short of phenomenal and is not to be missed. You can still climb on many of these pyramids and they are really good shape. The second highest Mayan structure in Mexico is at Dzibanche. If you do anything in Costa Maya take this tour. No fighting crowds at this site. While it was not offered by our cruise line (Norweigan) as an option it is so much better than the options that were offered. My only theory as to why is that the very last few miles of approach may not conducive to the use of large buses. This is a blessing, no cruise ship crowds and ability to see the view that the Mayan rulers had from the top. It was the highlight of our vacation.

1  Thank Thomas B
See more reviews
Reviewed December 13, 2014 via mobile

Dzibanche Mayan ruins were very well preserved. Much more than just a crumbling wall that other locations may have. There were several pyramids or towers you could climb for an extra special view. Highly recommended if you are in the area. We went to Dzibanche from a shore excursion that left from Costa Maya and it was about a 2.5 hour drive. Once you're there you are only another 30 minutes from the also spectacular ruins at Kohunlich. Go to both!

The bugs ate me alive even with bug spray. I highly recommend wearing long sleeves and long pants and thoroughly spraying with a high deet spray all over any exposed areas. I wore long sleeves and shorts and walked away with a couple bites on my hands, neck and about 10 on my legs.

4  Thank lindsayjsimpson