“Best spa deal around!”
Review of Hotel Spa Ixtapan

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ixtapan de la Sal
Hotel Spa Ixtapan
“Best spa deal around!”
Reviewed March 31, 2012

This was our third trip to Spa Ixtapan and as usual we were the "newbies" because most of the guests have been coming to this place for years...and I mean years (15+). With year around temps in the mid 70's, a daily spa treatment or two depending on the package you choose and delicious means, you'll want to pinch yourself after day one. I love the morning walks. Water aerobics are great. We like to stroll into town for some munchies and visit the local shops. The church and town square are lovely and there is a big market on the weekends. The spa gift store is loaded with beautiful jewelery and we always spends hours in there. Mom and I have a ritual of having our daily spa treatments right before dinner, what could be better than a massage and facial at the end of the day followed by a mango margarita at happy hour? And for those who still have energy at 7:30pm...you can play bingo and win prizes (drinks and more spa treatments) or stay up for the movie in the theater. While this isn't Miraval, it has its very own charm that keeps women (and some men) coming back year after year. If you can, bring friends with you. It's the perfect place to get away and catch up!

Room Tip: Ask for one that has a balcony.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank gndchicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Connecticut, USA
Reviewed February 29, 2012

Just got back from our 6th wonderful girlfriend spa vacation. The weather was beautiful, staff was incredible as usual (especially Magdalena and David and his staff) and what could be bad about multiple spa services everyday!! We never felt unsafe! The 11 women on this trip went out into the community multiple times and there were never any issues, townspeople were extremely welcoming and friendly! This is a truly relaxing and affordable trip that allows you to hang out with friends and meet new ones from all around the country. My 24 year old daughter has joined us the last two years and enjoyed all the pampering provided! The hotel itself is older but immaculately clean and maintained.

Room Tip: Go for the extra day, as traveling from USA/east coast is a long day. We Do the 4 night spa classic...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Fort Lee, New Jersey
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I just spent my 9th week (1 per year) at Hotel Spa Ixtapan a 70 year old hotel/spa in the Sierra Madres. As always it was a fabulous experience. How does one complain about the perfect weather, all inclusive services (massages, facials, reflexology, etc), very fresh "spa" food, friends I only see there and of course the price. Can't wait to return next February.

Room Tip: Some rooms in the hotel have balconies overlooking the pool which are generally more quiet at night.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank geri_powder
San Francisco
Reviewed January 19, 2012

My daughter (home from college) and I went to Hotel Spa Ixtapan as part of their spa program to jump start my health improvement goal (lose weight and get in shape. It was wonderful. We ate the spa food which was very tasty but low calorie and plentiful. While I was a little hungry periodically, it was rare. The exercise programs were great and we did everything from vigorous morning walks to regular and water aerobics to spinning classes to pilates to tennis. Basically 3 to 5 hours of exercise per day. At then end of each day we had a massage and another treatment to relax and then dinner.

The hotel is very nice. It is not a Ritz Carleton but it was comfortable and well maintained located in the mountains outside Mexico City. A beautiful setting with nice pools and grounds. The price was extremely reasonable.

The biggest issues were first that it is a 2 hour drive into the mountains outside Mexico City (we felt very safe in the hotel van on well maintained roads). So just plan to add that on to the time to get there. Second, it is very hard to book as you can't book online. They have a service in Texas that you have to call into and send a check deposit in the mail. Very odd and off putting. A better reservation system is needed. But I did mail in the check and get a confirmation in the mail and all worked well.

Overall - it was a great week. I got in shape and took off 4 pounds. There were many people there who just wanted to relax and enjoy the facilities. There is a regular menu as well and my daughter ate from it frequently - she said it was delicious.

Room Tip: Avoid the 6th floor - it can be noisy due to water storage on the roof. All other rooms are fine.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Spent 4 days for Christmas, the facilities are well maintained, nice warm outdoor pools, beautiful gardens, fountains, and restaurants.
The food was tasty and different every day, pastries were awesome.
Service was outstanding, friendly, and people very attentive (loved Florencio from the restaurant)
Beds were comfortable, clean, with OK furniture. Toiletries were also OK. There is free WiFi in the lobby area.
Only thing that was annoying was that the gym was not free (nice equipment).

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Senorskytravel
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 21, 2011

I spent one full week at the spa and had a wonderful and relaxing week. First off, I will tell anyone reading this that there is no reason to feel any danger due to the political climate in Mexico. The spa bus picks you up at the Mexico City airport, takes you on an expressway all the way to the spa, which is in a very safe and charming town, with plenty of security.
The rooms at the spa were not plush but were fine. The beds were very comfortable and the facilities were spotless. The treatments were plentiful - we were on the spa plan. Six massages, three facials, three foot reflexology, manicure, pedicure, hair treatments, style, and on and on. The yoga class was amazing as were the morning walks (escorted) in the mountains. The other classes were taught by the same person, and were just fair, but good enough. The food was good. There are two dining rooms; the regular and the spa. I preferred the regular dining room with the typical Mexican food, but if you were trying to watch your weight, the spa food was wonderful. I went with a group of women who have been coming together for years. This was my first time, but I fit right into the group, but would have been fine on my own too. The pool is gorgeous as are the surroundings. There is a house physician who will come to your room and give you acupuncture or take you to his clinic for face-fills (botox and juvederm, etc.) He was very professional and definitely did a good job on some of the ladies. We were kept so busy that I barely had time to read my book!
The price is right, the services are great, and it is definitely a relaxing getaway.
Next time I'll bring more cash to be able to buy from the vendors in the town and more creams from Rossy's in town!

Room Tip: Get a room in the newer section and not on the top floor, where you can hear the water pumps all nig...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank Travelwithmom86
Washington, DC
Reviewed November 15, 2011

This is not a luxury spa, but it is very economical and very relaxing. I went with a friend in August 2010. The room was clean and adequate. I had read other reviews that said the beds were uncomfortable so I brought a memory foam mattress topper and memory foam pillow with me. I'm not sure they were necessary. I read that if I put the mattress topper on the bed, the maids would put it under the top sheet when they made the bed the first day, and sure enough, they did!
The spa facilities themselves are basic unless you pay an upcharge to go to the more luxurious sister spa, but the treatments are nice. I had a massage every day before dinner--heaven! And 3 facials. There were salon hair treatments, but I didn't want to use those. They let me trade those for other treatments which was very nice and generous. The workout facility was okay, not great, but it had enough cardio equipment and weights for the small number of users. I didn't enjoy the fitness classes, but that may have been more me than the classes themselves--I generally don't go to classes and prefer to work out independently.
The morning guided hike was wonderful. And such a beautiful way to start the day.
The food was good. We usually ate in the main dining room rather than the spa food dining--both were good, but we weren't there to lose weight so we liked the higher calorie options in the main dining!
Many of the people we met there were regulars--some had been coming there for 5 years or more! A very friendly and inclusive group which added to the enjoyment.
Overall, I recommend this for anyone who wants to be pampered for a week at a reasonable price.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixtapan de la Sal
Ixtapan de la Sal Marriott Hotel, Spa & Convention Center
Ixtapan de la Sal Marriott Hotel...
#1 of 9 in Ixtapan de la Sal
Marmil Hotel Malinalco
Marmil Hotel Malinalco
#187 of 305 in Mexico City
Hotel Rancho San Diego Grand Spa Resort
Hotel Rancho San Diego Grand Spa...
#4 of 9 in Ixtapan de la Sal

Been to Hotel Spa Ixtapan? Share your experiences!