“9th year at the Spa”
Review of Hotel Spa Ixtapan

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ixtapan de la Sal
Hotel Spa Ixtapan
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I just spent my 9th week (1 per year) at Hotel Spa Ixtapan a 70 year old hotel/spa in the Sierra Madres. As always it was a fabulous experience. How does one complain about the perfect weather, all inclusive services (massages, facials, reflexology, etc), very fresh "spa" food, friends I only see there and of course the price. Can't wait to return next February.

Room Tip: Some rooms in the hotel have balconies overlooking the pool which are generally more quiet at night.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank geri_powder

Reviewed January 19, 2012

My daughter (home from college) and I went to Hotel Spa Ixtapan as part of their spa program to jump start my health improvement goal (lose weight and get in shape. It was wonderful. We ate the spa food which was very tasty but low calorie and plentiful. While I was a little hungry periodically, it was rare. The exercise programs were great and we did everything from vigorous morning walks to regular and water aerobics to spinning classes to pilates to tennis. Basically 3 to 5 hours of exercise per day. At then end of each day we had a massage and another treatment to relax and then dinner.

The hotel is very nice. It is not a Ritz Carleton but it was comfortable and well maintained located in the mountains outside Mexico City. A beautiful setting with nice pools and grounds. The price was extremely reasonable.

The biggest issues were first that it is a 2 hour drive into the mountains outside Mexico City (we felt very safe in the hotel van on well maintained roads). So just plan to add that on to the time to get there. Second, it is very hard to book as you can't book online. They have a service in Texas that you have to call into and send a check deposit in the mail. Very odd and off putting. A better reservation system is needed. But I did mail in the check and get a confirmation in the mail and all worked well.

Overall - it was a great week. I got in shape and took off 4 pounds. There were many people there who just wanted to relax and enjoy the facilities. There is a regular menu as well and my daughter ate from it frequently - she said it was delicious.

Room Tip: Avoid the 6th floor - it can be noisy due to water storage on the roof. All other rooms are fine.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Spent 4 days for Christmas, the facilities are well maintained, nice warm outdoor pools, beautiful gardens, fountains, and restaurants.
The food was tasty and different every day, pastries were awesome.
Service was outstanding, friendly, and people very attentive (loved Florencio from the restaurant)
Beds were comfortable, clean, with OK furniture. Toiletries were also OK. There is free WiFi in the lobby area.
Only thing that was annoying was that the gym was not free (nice equipment).

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Senorskytravel
Reviewed November 21, 2011

I spent one full week at the spa and had a wonderful and relaxing week. First off, I will tell anyone reading this that there is no reason to feel any danger due to the political climate in Mexico. The spa bus picks you up at the Mexico City airport, takes you on an expressway all the way to the spa, which is in a very safe and charming town, with plenty of security.
The rooms at the spa were not plush but were fine. The beds were very comfortable and the facilities were spotless. The treatments were plentiful - we were on the spa plan. Six massages, three facials, three foot reflexology, manicure, pedicure, hair treatments, style, and on and on. The yoga class was amazing as were the morning walks (escorted) in the mountains. The other classes were taught by the same person, and were just fair, but good enough. The food was good. There are two dining rooms; the regular and the spa. I preferred the regular dining room with the typical Mexican food, but if you were trying to watch your weight, the spa food was wonderful. I went with a group of women who have been coming together for years. This was my first time, but I fit right into the group, but would have been fine on my own too. The pool is gorgeous as are the surroundings. There is a house physician who will come to your room and give you acupuncture or take you to his clinic for face-fills (botox and juvederm, etc.) He was very professional and definitely did a good job on some of the ladies. We were kept so busy that I barely had time to read my book!
The price is right, the services are great, and it is definitely a relaxing getaway.
Next time I'll bring more cash to be able to buy from the vendors in the town and more creams from Rossy's in town!

Room Tip: Get a room in the newer section and not on the top floor, where you can hear the water pumps all nig...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank Travelwithmom86
Reviewed November 15, 2011

This is not a luxury spa, but it is very economical and very relaxing. I went with a friend in August 2010. The room was clean and adequate. I had read other reviews that said the beds were uncomfortable so I brought a memory foam mattress topper and memory foam pillow with me. I'm not sure they were necessary. I read that if I put the mattress topper on the bed, the maids would put it under the top sheet when they made the bed the first day, and sure enough, they did!
The spa facilities themselves are basic unless you pay an upcharge to go to the more luxurious sister spa, but the treatments are nice. I had a massage every day before dinner--heaven! And 3 facials. There were salon hair treatments, but I didn't want to use those. They let me trade those for other treatments which was very nice and generous. The workout facility was okay, not great, but it had enough cardio equipment and weights for the small number of users. I didn't enjoy the fitness classes, but that may have been more me than the classes themselves--I generally don't go to classes and prefer to work out independently.
The morning guided hike was wonderful. And such a beautiful way to start the day.
The food was good. We usually ate in the main dining room rather than the spa food dining--both were good, but we weren't there to lose weight so we liked the higher calorie options in the main dining!
Many of the people we met there were regulars--some had been coming there for 5 years or more! A very friendly and inclusive group which added to the enjoyment.
Overall, I recommend this for anyone who wants to be pampered for a week at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 18, 2011

It's now a tradition for me-since 1992!!This is where me and my girlfriend go for a time for ourselves-no kids, no husband, no worries.. It's an amazing place with a beautiful surroundings, (great security by the way@), incredible value!! sweet, friendly people who give you a massage once a DAY, hair treatment, mani and pedi, not to mention a never ceasing kindness and generosity. Right next door is an Open Hot springs pool with healing mud and waters..A real treat!!!! Rooms are average but you don't really spend much time in them, anyway..Food is delicious-can be either diet or not..they accommodate every wish!
It's my hidden treasure and retreat like no other!!!! Will go there forever!..)

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the drive into the hotel..a bit noisy.and as high as possible..
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank WestchesterM0m
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Absolutely loved this two week time in Ixtapan. The elevation is over 6,000 feet so the air is crisp and clean, and the setting is like a tropical rain forest with beautiful landscaping and water falls. August is considered the 'rainy season', but all of the rain occured at night while we were there, so every day was truly perfect weather - high 70's for the day, and high 60's for the evening.

The spa staff became like family, and many friends were made around the tables at meal time. The morning began with a brisk hour walk with yoga, pilates, tennis lessons, and aerobics available throughout the morning. The spa treatments throughout the day were heavenly - massages, facials, wraps, etc. were part of the package.

This was my first time at Hotel Spa Ixtapan, but it will not be my last. This was one of the cleanest places I have every stayed. Also, many of the people I met were there for their 15th or 35th time!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank toobusyvol
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixtapan de la Sal
Ixtapan de la Sal Marriott Hotel, Spa & Convention Center
Ixtapan de la Sal Marriott Hotel...
#1 of 9 in Ixtapan de la Sal
Hotel Montetaxco
#2 of 24 in Taxco
2 mi away
Hotel Rancho San Diego Grand Spa Resort
Hotel Rancho San Diego Grand Spa...
#3 of 9 in Ixtapan de la Sal
Casa de Huespedes La Rosa
Casa de Huespedes La Rosa
#2 of 5 in Ixtapan de la Sal

Been to Hotel Spa Ixtapan? Share your experiences!