“It has changed for the better”

Green World Palace Hotel
Ranked #12 of 27 Hotels in Songkhla
Bangkok, Thailand
“It has changed for the better”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel on and off for seven years.

Recently, in the last year or so, it has been refurbished. New carpet and paint in rooms and retiled bathrooms. It is actually a lot nicer now. Food can be mediocre at times but ok. Plenty of restaurants around so no real need to eat in the hotel. Good views of the lake and easy enough to get to the beach or where ever you want to go.

Beware "free wi-fi" advertised is only 3 hours.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed August 11, 2013

There are many things to see in Songkhla so try staying outside the hussle and bussle of Hat Yai. This hotel is about 5 to 10 mins from Samila Beach and you can be at the Reclining Buddha on Ko Yo in 15 mins. It is quite a big hotel in a quiet side street off Saiburi Road. The Wyoming bar nearby had cold beer but also served some good Thai food at very reasonable prices. The room was big and although the bathroom was in need of renovation everything worked. The television was also old but had some Thai and English channels but you don't come here to watch tele. Nice swimming pool on the 5th floor. Mainly Thai people staying here but the staff spoke English but don't expect a Western Breakfast it was all Thai but very good (apart from the coffee). Reading other reviews you cannot expect the Ritz when you are paying Baht 1200.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 16, 2012

cockroaches and mosquitos everywhere.
old dirty room which has not seen any maintenance since new.
dirty hallway. small and dirty elevator. restaurant smells of years of cigarette smoking.
whole place has already died.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jimwhith

Travelers are raving about these Songkhla hotels

BKK
Reviewed May 14, 2012

The service is very poor. No any service mind for hospitality. Challenge the complaint from customer. The room is old with old TV and loudly aircondition. Shower cannot be used.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Customerbkk
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed February 2, 2012

I know there are some horribly dated rooms in this hotel but I've just spent a night in one of the "Mini Superior" rooms and its really new and well appointed. Nice 32" flat screen TV with satellite TV and FREE Internet in the room via LAN cable (No WIFI messing around) through which I'm writing this review :-).
The one bad thing was that at 5 am this morning I was woken by the music they were playing in the corridor outside. Its only supposed to be background music - like elevator music. One call to reception and it was off but although I spoke with the manager about this I get the strong feeling this is highly likely to happen again. I wore earplugs in bed so this isn't necessarily a way around this problem!

Room Tip: The Mini Superiors seem to be in a refurbished wing. Don't know about the rest of the hotel but...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Guest360
australia
Reviewed October 19, 2011

For thirty dollars a night I wasn't really expecting a palace, but after reading the reviews I must say I was pleasantly surprised. It's true that the girls at reception speak limited english, but we actually had a lot of fun talking with them. If you're after a more typically touristy experience I'm not sure that Songkhla is the place for you, as hardly anyone in the whole town speaks english.
Having said that, we found everyone really friendly and helpful. We had a standard room, 307, which you got to via the lift (there are 2) or the spiral staircase. There was a balcony overlooking the street. The air conditioning worked quietly and efficiently. The flat screen tv had a good range of channels, including BBC world service. There were burn marks on the carpet from cigarettes, but we couldn't smell anything. There was a fridge, wardrobe etc. The standard rooms don't come with tea and coffee making facilities, just the tea and coffee! However, after my wife asked downstairs about this, within minutes someone was setting up a brand new jug in our room. The bathroom was clean, there was a bath, which we didnt use, but the shower was hot and had good pressure. Breakfast was ok, lots of fruit, eggs, toast and jam, brewed coffee, rice and dried fish if you want to make your own lemak. You can eat as much as you want. We had a couple of swims in the 5th floor pool. It was excellent, with towels, sun lounges and a great view over the lake. Both times we were the only ones up there. We had wifi in the room, supplied by a 3rd party provider, $3 for 2 and a half hours. It worked fine. The location suited us fine, a short walk to the lake, with fishing boats, and to get to the "business" part of town, or the mermaid on the beach, I think you could walk in about half an hour, though don't quote me on that, as we always took a micro, which cost about a dollar twenty. All in all we were very happy with our stay at Greenworld.

Room Tip: The superior rooms have lake views. for an extra $7, but they were full when we stayed.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mickello
Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel a few times now. Looking at previous reviews, I gather that the rooms I have stayed in are in the re-furbished wing, so they are recently decorated. I cannot therefore speak for what older rooms may be like, but I have found these newer rooms excellent. A nice comfortable bed, separate sofa, flat screen TV, nice bathroom, all new, clean and tidy. I also found the service to be good.

I should point out the reason I give a high rating for location is a personal one; it is very close to the heliport for going offshore - the reason I stayed here. However after arriving back in Songkhla one Friday, I liked this hotel enough to stay an extra couple of nights by my own choice for leisure.

I do agree that the wi-fi is a bit unreliable. It also appears that smoking is permitted in all the rooms, or at least not prevented. Not a problem for me as a smoker, but something for others to at least be aware of. On entering the room, there is not a strong smell, but it is present. Also, even in the "new" areas, the corridors are a bit dingy and don't feel too clean.

Overall though I have been very happy with my stays here, but as I say I have not experienced the non-refurbished rooms.

Room Tip: It would appear a refurbished one is far better.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank AndyL30
Also consider these accommodations in or near Songkhla
BP Samila Beach Hotel
#35 of 90 in Hat Yai
The Singora Hotel
The Singora Hotel
#7 of 27 in Songkhla

Been to Green World Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!