“Truly a very special and memorable experience.”

Anantara Golden Triangle Elephant Camp & Resort
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Chiang Saen
Reviewed March 3, 2014

From the moment they picked us up from the airport, to the day we left, we were treated so well by the warm and friendly staff. It was all about the little details – the things I never even thought about or anticipated, like the refreshments, magazines, and iPad provided during the ride to the resort, the lemongrass tea and mini massage during registration and check-in. While Tuk was reviewing our itinerary with us, I mentioned that I was a bit disappointed that our scheduled morning Mahout Experience did not include the river bath. Apparently, the elephants bathe in the afternoons. She immediately offered to call the camp and find out if we can change our schedule to that afternoon so that I could participate in the river bath. I can’t even begin to describe how fantastic the Mahout Experience was. This was the part of our Thailand trip to which I looked forward the most and it was every bit as exhilarating and special as I imagined it would be. What made it even better for me was Anantara’s philosophy on rescuing elephants and caring for their mahouts and their families. To be that close the elephants was so amazing – so huge, but yet so gentle. I got Poonlap (don’t know if I have the correct spelling), and she took good care of me, except that she didn’t warn me that she liked to dunk her head in the water and caught me off guard. It made for a nice little swim in the Ruak River and her mahout got me right back on with no problem. Now I have a great story to tell!
I couldn’t wait for breakfast each day, and the chance to play with Om, the resident baby elephant who greeted us each morning by the breakfast buffet.
Our three-country suite was HUGE and at the top of the hill. It’s too bad we weren’t in it very much because it was definitely a great space in which to relax and soak in the luxury. Loved the peace and quiet.
The food was excellent. Breakfast buffet was my favorite. You really can’t go wrong with anything on the Thai menu. We skipped the Italian option because the second reason we chose Thailand for holiday was the Thai food!
Our second excursion was the Golden Triangle tour. Toy our guide, was friendly and knowledgeable and navigated us through the border crossing. The program was very well planned. As I mentioned earlier, Anantara is all about the details and this experience was no different. In fact, while we were on this outing, Tuk from the hotel desk called Toy to make sure she took us to the Mae Sai bus station to help us get our tickets on the VIP bus to Chiang Mai.
On our final morning, we said good bye to Om and the other elephants, we went to the Hall of Opium across the street courtesy of Anantara, then Tuk booked our car to the White Temple on the way to the Chiang Mai bus station.
I was very sad to leave this magical place and it will forever hold a special place in my heart and my memory. While the facilities were top notch, it was the staff and the elephants that made it a five-star experience.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JojoRockville
GM_Christian_Zunk, General Manager at Anantara Golden Triangle Elephant Camp & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Dear JojoRockville,

thank you very much for taking the time to share this wonderful review with other travelers about your most recent visit at the Anantara Golden Triangle Elephant Camp & Resort.

We are glad to hear that you had a memorable and very unique stay with us and especially enjoyed the Resort activities included in the Discovery Package and as well our very personalized Thai hospitality.

Thank you also for your compliments on the Elephant Mahout training which I already shared with the entire Elephant Camp Team!

Please come and visit us again soon!

Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

What a beautiful resort! As we were checking in a baby elephant had come into the lobby to say hello and get fed. Too cute.
The hotel is gorgeous in a rustic way. Our room was small but well appointed. Not a lot of privacy for the bathroom though. Our friends upgraded to the suite and it was spectacular. All of our rooms had a 3 country view. Breakfast buffet was excellent.
The real highlight was our elephant walk/bath. Words cannot accurately describe what a truly wonderful experience that was! Sitting by the pool looking out over the valley with the elephants was pure bliss. They are magnificent!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Tracy K,

thank you very much for sharing your Feedback with other travelers about your recent stay at the Anantara Golden Triangle Elephant Camp & Resort.

We are pleased to hear that you especially enjoyed the time with our wonderful Elephants and the bath in the river!

Thank you also to highlight our signature culinary experiences like the breakfast buffet and the wonderful view from our recently awarded infinity swimming pool.

We hope to welcome you back very soon to our Golden Triangle Hideaway!

Reviewed February 22, 2014

This is a beautiful and luxurious resort. We had a blissful stay here. The entrance is beautifully set out with a long lily pond. The views are stunning as the resort is high over the Mekong. Our room was beautifully furnished, with a large balcony and gorgeous views. There are two excellent restaurants - Italian and Thai. There are lots of activities, the best of which involve interaction with the rescued elephants in the resort. We also had a great cookery lesson whilst here.

At night, the resort is lit by candles and flares along the paths and looks even more enchanting. Nothing is too much trouble for the charming and helpful staff. We had a problem with getting the right memory card for our camera and the staff went out of their way to make sure we got the right one, taking us to four different shops in the town. We felt totally relaxed during our stay,

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ryszarda P
GM_Christian_Zunk, General Manager at Anantara Golden Triangle Elephant Camp & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear Ryszarda P,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your valuable Feedback from your most recent stay with us. We are very happy to hear that you had a memorabel and very relaxing stay with us and especially enjoyed the resort activities included in your Discovery Package as well your room facilities your dining in our two signature restaurants.

Thank you also for your compliments on the service of the Resort which I already shared with pride with my Team, especially in going out of their way to provide with your special request.

With Kind Regards and we look forward to welcoming you back soon to the magical Golden Triangle and home of the Elelphants!

Reviewed February 19, 2014

This place is amazing. Beeing a frequent traveller both for work and leisure I have had an amazing time there.
Service is second to none. We had some problems in the toilet, called reception, I kid you not, 2 minutes after, it was fixed.
The place is absolutely breathtaking. In the morning, the mist still covers the valley and you are above this scene, watching the mist slowly dissipate while the sun rises on your right.
Then, its time for breakfast where you will have the chance to meet your first elephant! A baby one that is, but baby is already big. Then you can choose activities. Going with the elephants is one of the most amazing (and I have to say, initially scary) experiences I have done with my kids. My youngest one is 10 and got to ride a baby elephant. After a long ride, they head to the river and bathe... With you on their backs... Its a lot of fun and don't worry, the Mahouts (the elephant guardians) are with you all the time. Great fun.
Swimming pool is beautiful and the entire hotel is very well done.
Food is excellent, service is amazing and everyone will do their utmost to make sure you have a good time.
As I mentioned, if you are going to Chiang Rai, don't try and save those few pennies by going somewhere else, you know what people say, you get what you pay for. Just go for Anantara you will pay but you will get a lot in return, I (and my family) are looking forward to being able to go there one day.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Zion51
GM_Christian_Zunk, General Manager at Anantara Golden Triangle Elephant Camp & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear Zion51,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your great review and recommendations about your recent stay with us!

We are thrilled to hear that you had a memorable vacation with your Family and that your children had a great time with the elephants even taking a bath with them which I am sure they will remember for a long time.

Thank you as well for your compliments on our exclusive cuisine which I already shared with our Executive Chef and his Team!

We hope deeply to welcome you and your Family back soon to enjoy some more exciting and relaxing dates at our magical resort in the Golden Triangle.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

I spent 3 nights here with my girl friend and Anantara provided me a great holiday.
The rooms are spacious and well furnished.
The hotel gardens are well maintained. The food and beverage quality is of a high standard.
One of the good things is the elephant experience is great! as well as The staff! they was so friendly and helpful at every turn.

Room Tip: weather in January is cold
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Johnnie m,

thank you very much for sharing your wonderful Feedback with other readers about your recent stay at the Anantara Golden Triangle Elephant Camp & Resort. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Thai hospitality as well the unique activities and restaurants outlets.

We hope to welcome you back very soon to our Golden Triangle Hideaway!

Kind Regards

Reviewed February 18, 2014

We stayed 3 nights in a 3 country view suite which was large and very well maintained with views over the plains with elephants in sight. In this area there really are two choices The Four Seasons or Anantara. Both resorts have the same owner and share the same elephants from what I understand. The elephants are all rescues and their well being as well as the the well being of their mahout (and his family) are top priority. Both resorts are expensive but the Four Seasons was about double the price of Anantara when we were booking our trip. While we were going to be staying in some uber luxury properties as we travelled around Thailand and Cambodia for us this destination is really about doing as much with the elephants as possible so we opted for Anantara.

The elephant experiences were amazing. We had the VIP Regal arrival where you arrive by boat and ride an elephant to the resort, very cool. We did the Mahout training, riding our elephant while it did different moves and then taking the elephant to the lagoon and having it bath while we rode on its back (truly amazing). We also did the Elephant Learning Experience which was more educational about the work they do here to rescue elephants from undesirable situations, also observing a vet check and then helping bath the elephant (no riding though). Our last activity was the cooking class which was also excellent.

We also did the Dining by Design baby elephant camp dinner which was amazing. Private dinner with butler and chef at elephant camp. Very unique.

We have stayed at many Four Seasons around the world and while Anantara doesn't really compare we loved our stay here. The staff were all amazing and couldn't do enough for you. The food at the Italian restaurant was excellent also.

If money is no object then stay at the Four Seasons Golden Triangle, it is just a few hundred metres away (although we never got a sight of it) but if Four Seasons rates give you "sticker shock" then stay at Anantara, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: It looks like all rooms have a similar view. Suites are double the size on regular rooms and quite...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ryzee

Dear ryzee,

thank you again for choosing our Hideaway and for taking the time to write this wonderful and so descriptive review of our property.

We are delighted that you had a memorable time with us. I have shared your Feedback with our team and thank them for making your stay so special.

Thank you also to highlight our signature experiences like the unique VIP Regal arrival and also our magical Dining by Design with your own chef, service and the elephants!

We look forward to welcoming you back to our Sanctuary in the future.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Crazy expensive. But worth every single penny. For me one of the closest places to heaven on earth. High spots? The people, the food, the views...oh and those elephants!
Stop thinking about it. Just do it :)

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BathtimeBabe

Dear BathtimeBabe,

thank you very much for your kind Feedback and encouraging message about your recent stay at our Elephant Sanctuary! We are delighted that you had a "heavenly" experience and we look forward to welcoming you back soon to the Anantara Golden Triangle Elephant Camp and Resort!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiang Saen
DoiTung Lodge
#25 of 108 in Chiang Rai
Ibis Styles Chiang Khong Riverfront
Four Seasons Tented Camp Golden Triangle

Been to Anantara Golden Triangle Elephant Camp & Resort? Share your experiences!