“Adventure paradise”

Anantara Golden Triangle Elephant Camp & Resort
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Chiang Saen
Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

Amazing hotel!! One of my favourites! loved the jungle feel decor felt quite African in the elephant bar but - loved Nuey the barman entertaining with his magic tricks - all the staff were really amazing.
Then there were the elephants ! Meena stole the show! Wong is a star too, the oldest at 54. All the mahouts are amazing an do a brill job taking great fotos of everybody on the elephants with their cameras
Would recommend the mahout training for full day get loads of time riding elephant out and amazing experience to take them into river. Full body massage at spa followed and that was amazing too fell asleep no Problem!

the opium museum is very interesting and I was surprised to find out it was soo much better than I expected!

this place is special i didnt think anything would top safari in kruger but this has :) and I would love to go back and see how the elephants are getting on :)

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank highflyer007

Reviewed August 21, 2012

We travel a lot, and this is one of the best experiences we have ever had. I want to say that it felt like home, because the staff was so genuine, so unfailingly friendly and kind-- but at home we have no elephants, and sadly no staff so eager to smooth our path. The Mahout Training is not to be missed -- I will never forget jostling in the water atop a frolicking elephant. Prepare to get wet! I also tried the Thai cooking class, which was fun and resulted in a great meal (despite my lack of talent) at the end of the day (and with luck some good meals while at home). We also recommend the spa for just about anything and the 3 country tour. Special kudos to the front desk staff who helped us fit in all our activities and were flexible, sweet and helpful. Our last night there was so romantic -- I don't want to spoil the surprise of a very special evening that was arranged on our last night there, but perhaps if you ask....

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the spot where they bathe the elephants in the morning-- although I think most roo...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2012

There are not enough superlatives to describe this hotel . Arrived on the back of an elephant having been picked up from the airport by a merc taken to the Mekong and travelled on a long tailed speed boat up river. Unforgettable . The hotel is magical, our room looked out over the jungle towards Laos and Burma, elephants wandered in the vegetation, birds sang, th e sound of water gently cascading is everywhere. The infinity pool was gorgeous, stunning and everywhere scrupulously clean. Never before have I had to clamber into the bath to put the plug in, it was huge. A bowl of fruit is a lovely touch everyday in your room as is the orchid on your pillow at night.
The staff are friendly helpful and plentiful, the decor beautiful, a lovely highly polished resort. There is an award winning elephant camp in the hotel grounds which you can spend a day there or just visit and watch the elephants bathe in the Mekong. I absolutely loved this hotel, the food is great and breakfast something else! If our want to pop across the border you can go to Burma for the day. I didn't want to leave ...Fell in love with the elephants too one wrapped his trunk round my wrist and walked up the drive with me then when I left trumpeted good bye. Fantastic !

Room Tip: Any they all seem great
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mendoros
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Arranged by friends who where getting married, this one night stay will be memorable forever. Everything from the welcome flower necklace and cool drink and overarching views of the Mekong River it was everything you would want it to be to feel like you are in the Golden Triangle.

Anantara will set up any activity you need or want: Trips to the Hill Tribe, Opium Museum is walkable across the street, Elephant Camp is on the property, river boat down the Mekgong to the other side of the river- Laos, local shopping that you need a hotel bus to.

Connected with the Thai Elephant Conservation Centre (TECC), a protective non profit organization that saves Elephants from horrible working conditions, is an amazing experience to learn from the Mahouts who care deeply for them and to RIDE THEM. They take you through a 30 minute fun course - driving course- to learn how to communicate with them and ask them to move while sitting on their necks. This is their only form of "work" a day and they basically are happy and eating. You SWIM with the elephants!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Mekong are suppose to be amazing, we faced the "treetops" on the top floo...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We traveled here during rainy season and to me it was more like monsoon season! The rain could be pelting at times. The resort is beyond belief beautiful and the amenities are outstanding. We stayed for three days and did the day long elephant camp as well as two massages in their beyond belief spa.
On day one we arrived via Nok Air, a nice little gem found on the internet. Our driver brought us out to the resort, about one + hours away. We were booked for "The Taste and Touch of Thailand". This included a spa treatment and a pre- arranged dinner. The massage was the best that I have ever had and Khun Oil was an amazing therapist. I went back and had another massage two days later! Our dinner was some of the besy food that I have ever had. Kuhn Sang was very attentive and helpful in describing the tastes and spice.
Breakfast was beyond belief. The fresh fruit, made to order eggs and omelets, and the buffet options were out of this world! The daily fried rice changed every day and each day was as good if not better than the one before. The chicken, beef, vegetable, and potato options changed daily as well. Starting the day with homemade noodle soup is now a new tradition!
We participated in the full day elephant camp and it was an experience that I will never forget. The basic training session, the jungle walk, and the bath were informative and delightful.
We dined in the Italian restaurant the second night and the food was some of the best ever. I was sceptical about Italian food in Thailand but there was no need. The selections were varied and all were delicious. A word of warning however, portion sizes are HUGE.
We planned an offsite dinner for the third night but we enjoyed the resort and Khun Sang's assistance so much that we remained on site for our final dinner as well. This was Thai food and it was delicious.
The Elephant bar for drinks before dinner is a must. The staff and the management at Anantara are to be commended.

Room Tip: Possibly the best resort ever!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed here 2 nights as part of the wedding long weekend extravaganza that we have arranged for our friends and family. From the moment we arrived till the day we left everything was spot on - the greeting, the welcome drink, the garland, friendly yet professional staffs, mesmerising view and decor, the food as well as the best GM I have met Khun Christian (Bravo!!). The most memorable, however, would have to be our "Anantara's DIning By Design" and 2-hour long mahout experience. I was actually a little pessimistic about the entire thing at first having been the elephant at other touristy places around Thailand. It was not what I had thought at all. The experience was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! I had learned so much about the elephant themselves and fell in love with them (especially Pepsi, my elephant).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jj388
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Upon arrival.. we were greeted with drinks and hand made real flower necklaces. We spent 1 night here for the beginning of a wedding trip and had a first class experience! The rooms and bathrooms were a nice size, with a large stone soaking tub/shower and all the amenities that come with FIVE STARS. We had an amazing view from our hotel room balcony looking over the pool with Myanmar, Laos and Thailand in the background...24 hour room service...The hotel food was excellent, buffet style for the wedding pre-rehearsal dinner. All three meals we had were exceptional. The infinity pool, hot tub and views onto the mountains + Mekong river made a great setting. Loved the service. I worked out at their fitness center (a short walk down the trail along the entrance road) on one of the days and it was great. It had all the necessary machines, cardio, steam room, sauna, hot tub and a squash court . I hear the spa was exceptional, but we ran out of time to have a Thai massage.

Besides our trip down the Mekong river to Laos and the Opium Museum, we had an elephant ride. This was one of my most memorable experiences ever! Seeing these 26 rescued elephants up close and riding them (no saddles) with the guides was truly amazing. We rode along the trails for about 1 hour, finally ending up at a nearby lake, where we went swimming with the elephants. I have never seen or experienced anything like this! A MUST!! We finally rode the elephants back up the hotel road and finished at the entrance.
Would definitely book another trip here if we come back to Chiang Rai.

• Stayed: August 2012
DoiTung Lodge
#25 of 108 in Chiang Rai
Ibis Styles Chiang Khong Riverfront
Four Seasons Tented Camp Golden Triangle

Been to Anantara Golden Triangle Elephant Camp & Resort? Share your experiences!