“Wonderful adventure even for kids”

Kagay Whitewater Rafting
Ranked #1 of 9 Tours in Cagayan de Oro
Cebu City, Philippines
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Wonderful adventure even for kids”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

My kids were really afraid they would hurt themselves after seeing videos of the rafting and especially of stories of the raft "tipping" over. After much encouragement and assurance, my kids age 11 and 9 joined the trip. By policy, they allow age 6 & up but the youngest rafter was 1 1/2 years old. There is a safety briefing and short instruction before the start of the trip.

We took the advance course but in retrospect 4 hours under the sun is a little too much for young kids especially when the river is slower but calmer compared to after it just rains. The beginner course is good enough for first timers and you don't miss that much compared to the advance course. (Remember to put sunblock on the knees and lap if you are wearing shorts or better bring the sunblock with you in the raft.)

Since the raft needs only 6 to paddle, small kids can take turns when you have 7 passengers. One can sit in the middle and take photos. With a good guide, he can easily master the rapids and keep it from flipping. (Its better to take a dip in the deeper and calmer portions of the river.) Since it didn't rain the last few weeks, the water was very clear. Its important to paddle when the guide says so to be able to maneuver the rapids.

The kids love getting splash when we go through the rapids and also splashing other boats. It was very enjoyable. They easily forgot their fears after they went through the first rapids. It looks a lot scarier in the videos than when your riding it.

Visited April 2014
4 Thank Charles C

• Hebrew first
Quezon City, Philippines
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Great Experience! A must try in CDO!”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Well CDO is well known for the White Water Rafting adventure and if you are expecting fun filled adventure, you will not fall short of your expectation here. At first me and my friends were really nervous about the rafting. but after our 1st and 2nd rapid it was all fun! The guides from Kagay are really nice and awesome! Plus Cagayan River is really really a site to see. very beautiful just beyond our expecatations. Would really love to do it again!

Visited February 2014
1 Thank irene_qt14
Cebu Island, Philippines
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Do not miss this activity if you are in CDO!”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

It was the best experience of a lifetime. My friends and I were so up for the adventure and we did not hesistate to jump out of the water when the river guide mentioned it os okay to go for a swim.
The coolest part is intentionally tipping the raft over a huge rock! So awesome!
The guide will actually profile you to see how far you would go coz our other friends were scared of the entire thing so they were just rowing and enjoying the scenic view.
but for me.. I would suggest ask your guide to go on a kayak with him.! Kayaking and on rowing through the rapids is awesome!
The guides weren't boring as well.. you wouldnt know that you were already in fhe water for 4 hours. So awesome! A must try if you are in cagayan

Visited January 2014
1 Thank reezuh25
Manila, Philippines
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Nerve-shaking but really FUN!”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

It has been a very scary but fun adventure for me. I don't know how to swim and I am not really into sports, I guess that's why. But what will really jive you to do this is to experience fun in a way that you never expect it.

One thing that made me try this is as well are the nice and professional guides of Kagay Whitewater Rafting team. When we get to CDO, the place where we stay gave us their brochure and immediately contact them. This activity will cost you Php 700 (this is from last November 2012, includes the ride to the river and back to hotel). We rode their own jeep (local bus-like) and head down to the river. There are other groups as well who joined us. A big boat can accommodate 6 paddlers plus your guide. Before we "conquer" the wild river, we had about 15 minutes orientation with the guides. They discussed a small history (about CDO, the river and their team), how to paddle correctly, safety precautions and some Q&A to be familiarize on our activity.

Rafting on Cagayan De Oro river took us about 2 hours. There are about 17 rapids (as I remember). Some rapids have a VERY STRONG current that can really take your boat upside down. There are rapids that you can carry everyday :) There are some parts on the river that we experienced to swim (this might be the reason why it took us 2 hours). Our guides showed us other attractions in CDO and the nearby province of Bukidnon. The guides golden rule is to listen to them attentively. If they asked the team to paddle, then we need to paddle. It's all about team work :)

Overall, our experience was so great! Proud to say that our boat didn't turned down. Thanks to our professional and strong guide. Kagay will also take your photos so no need to bring your camera. Adrenaline rush, INDEED!

Visited November 2013
2 Thank HeartofJess
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“FUN-tastic!”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

We were first timers in water rafting and we loved it! Our guide, kuya Gary, was so helpful and funny! Honestly, I got scared during the briefing and thought it's dangerous for someone who can't even swim (yes, I can't swim) but then there's the life vest and so we were told not to panic if we get thrown out of the raft (he gave us specific instructions on what to do if we fall). We're supposed to take the basic course for 700/head but changed our mind and went on with the advanced course 1000/head - turns out it's for the better! You'll get 24 rapids with the advanced course and every rapid is very exciting - you'll never know who gets thrown out - lol. We might try the expert1 and 2 the next time! Just had little confusion though, we were told that the CD costs 350 but it was 450 when we got to their office. Nonetheless, water rafting is must when you're in Cagayan de Oro!

Visited December 2013