“more of a hotel than a pension house” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of New Dawn Pensionne

New Dawn Pensionne
Ranked #1 of 51 Cagayan de Oro B&B and Inns
Butuan, Philippines
“more of a hotel than a pension house”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2012

We stayed in a Standard Room on March 7-10, 2012 for business purposes and kinda brief homecoming of sort. It's location is very accessible to major amenities of the city - night life, cafes, bars, restos, pasalubong & shopping centers, sports, church, schools, hospital, government buildings, etc.

This pension house offers affordable accommodation yet has the modern facilities that can be likened to a two star hotel. Rooms are house-kept daily. Staff are friendly though it took them long to find our booking online and it seemed that the receptionist on duty at that time is new to the job.

The lounge area only offers coffee and free wifi but food is not a problem as you can order at a nearby Tamsi Time to serve it in your room or walk along Tiano Street to have the food of your choice. And don't forget your "pasalubong". SLERS - known for its Ham and Vjandep - the popular pastel maker are nearby the area. And for night owls, Lexi Grill is within the street

Room Tip: get room in higher floor to appreciate the view and away from the noise
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jelotz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Angeles City, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

about Reservation:
Reservation was smooth. I was able to get a room with no hiccups at all.

about the Room:
I got a room with two beds. The front desk agent gave me the option to change to a smaller room if I wanted but with a small price difference, I opted for the larger room.
The materials used in making the hotel are not top-of-the-line. But that is not what this hotel is about. The room was perfectly clean. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom was ok.
Two things I did not like in the room were:
-The bathroom had a non-slip mat which was, well, slippery. I set it aside and never used it.
- The TV had no remote control. What the hotel has is a cable box located on the bedside table. To change channels, you had to physically contort yourself to see the channels on the bedside table.

about the Location:
The location for the purpose of my trip (business) was perfect. The hotel is very accessible via public transportation. There are a number of restaurants nearby and the 24/7 convenience store just accross the street is exactly that - convenient.

about the Service:
Service was simply ok. Nothing special, but nothing bad either. The room was kept clean, the towels regularly changed, and the guard at the front door was helpful when he needed to be.
What frustrated me with this particular hotel was that the front desk agents do not smile. I know this is may be a minor thing for some. But for a hotel in the Philippines, that frustrated me. Filipinos are supposed to be hospitable and will readily greet you with a smile. I did not see that in this hotel.

about the Overall Value:
Considering the price - this hotel was very good. It is not the best, it is not the most presentable, and neither is it the most accommodating to guests. But what it has going for it is its combination of location, cleanliness, and affordability.

Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank paotranq
Manila
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2012

New Dawn is a no fuss hotel, not big on decorations or lounge chairs and goes straight to business.

In terms of location, it's right in front of the Sports Center and is 5 minutes away from their Divisoria (night concert, shopping and food place) and LimKetKai (bars and restaurants)

The lobby is very small and has one couch and a few tables and chairs (too small for a 6-floor hotel). The service staff are not very warm, a bit pouty but they get the job done.

The room is clean overall. The design is a bit old fashioned, the thicker blanket was a bit old, but the pillows and sheets were clean and comfy. There's a mirror on the door and a mirror on the closet door, a TV, a chair and a side table. The bathroom looked more updated and was clean.

The TV remote was a bit annoying because it was stuck to the bedside table and didn't work properly. Also there's no wifi in the room, so I have to go all the way down to the crowded lobby to get some work done. There's also no free breakfast, so I had to make do with the crappy 24 hour restaurant near the hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank AdaTheExplorer
Manila, Philippines
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed at New Dawn Pensionne on October 24 to 26 to doing training for one of our projects. I stayed at their Executive Suite, which is their largest room.

The first thing that I noticed when I entered the room is that it was not well lighted. I also saw a lot of mosquitoes in the room which was weird because the windows were closed. I did not feel that the room was clean.

The bathroom was spacious with a bathtub. However, the rubber mat that they placed in it was really disgusting. The bottom part of the mat was very moldy. They only provided two hotel-size soaps for the duration of my stay. The towels were also old but clean.

The beds were okay and they provided enough pillows. The air-conditioning was adequate but it automatically shuts off when you pull the key chain. They have a flat screen TV with the cable box just beside your bed. They do not provide remote controls so you have to walk to the TV to turn it down or turn it off.

The staff in the reception was very helpful. Every request was entertained properly.

Overall, I would probably not stay here again. They are other hotels/ pensione houses that offer the same price for cleaner/ better facilities.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay in this hotel, get the smaller rooms for better money value. The price of the...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Joan L
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2011

I found our stay in Cagayan de Oro expensive. Prices are much like Manila's, especially in terms of food and transportation.

In terms of accomodations however, we were lucky with New Dawn Pensionne as it was a budget-friendly hotel. It's quite new, so our stay was quite good. However, 6 months to 1 year from now, I would not suggest staying here anymore, unless they renovate soon. To be honest this hotel is great while it's new, but the materials they used to build the rooms are the type that do not last very long. So it was simply good enough for our stay, but I wouldn't trust the quality 6 months from now.

However I was pretty surprised with the quality of the beddings. I normally do not get to sleep much during first nights in hotels (except 5-star ones), but I had a pretty good first night's sleep at New Dawn.

Suggest to get the biggest room, to maximize space and the big bathroom. Anyway, rates are very affordable. Bring your own towels and complete toilettries.

Staff was friendly, though was not very helpful while we were planning our itinerary for nearby island - Camiguin. (We were asking for help to get boat tickets but they didn't know what to do).

Room Tip: Good enough, might explore other hotels next time, especially as New Dawn becomes older
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Dsison
George Town, Grand Cayman
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2011

Stayed here for over a week, I liked the hotel and the satff, Room very clean and well decorated, WI-FI only in reception else you pay for it in room. No safety deposit box and this is where I have a issue. Forgetful me left my Thai Baht in one of my bags during my stay. When I returned to Bangkok I went to my bag to get some Baht for taxi and the money had gone, so had the English money I keep. Can't be 100% sure it was taken from my room in that hotel but have my suspicons. To rub salt into the wound, I even left a 200 PHP for the boy who cleaned my room. All in all I would stay there again if I had any reason to return to CDO, but I would not return, didn't like the place.
A lot of locals and families stay here so it can become noisy late at night and first thing in the morning as the people meet and great in the corridors. My room was at the front of the hotel so became noisy with the traffic in the mornings.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank markallanwainwright
Emerald Queensland Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2011

I couldnt fault the New Dawn , my room was clean , Staff very helpfull , i spent a great 2 weeks there , Central to everthing
im going back at easter n hope to stay there if not booked out

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple