“A beach resort, you say?”
Review of Chali Beach Resort

Chali Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 51 Cagayan de Oro B&B and Inns
Manila
“A beach resort, you say?”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Pros:

1) Reasonable price

2) Within Cagayan de Oro City.

3) Nice and clean hotel grounds.

4) Ample and relatively clean swimming pool.

5) Nice cabanas and cottages.

6) Friendly staff.

Cons:

1) A beach, regardless, of the name doesn't exist. What you have is a rocky and very dirty shoreline or what passes for it. Littered with trash, including what looked like a diaper! They didn't bother to clean the shore and water.

2) Don't be fooled by the fancy menu because the food is terrible. The worst sizzling sisig I've tasted, for example.

3) They put expired Magnolia milk chocolate drinks in tetra packs in the mini-bar!

4) There's the dreadful videoke sessions.

5) Housekeeping sucks. They don't replenish the mini-bar. One time, I took a crap and found out there's no toilet paper in the covered dispenser. Had to do the walk of shame.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
ILLINOIS
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Stayed at this resort from 7/12/12 thru 7/16/12. We had (6) cabanas rented, all in all. Our first night was at the actual hotel. It was gross and rundown. The floor was dirty, actual hotel room door lock looked old and unsafe... still your old-school door key. Fortunately (?, or maybe not) we moved into one of the cabanas for the rest of our stay. Floor was not as gross. I even found an earth worm on the towel that was laid on the bathroom floor. When the housekeeper took our soild towels, she didn't replace them. We had to call that in. The clincher was on our check out day. I double checked the fridge before we left the room to see which items were missing. I was dismayed to be told that part of the itemized fridge items was (2) beers... my husband, the only person who drinks beer, had stomach flu almost the entire time we were there so definitely couldn't have consumed the beer! And I, myself, saw the two cans of beer before I left the room!

I believe the housekeeper was pulling a fast one. Not sure if in cahoots with the front desk girl who was billing us. She was collecting P650+ from me for bar fees... they knew were in a hurry as we were getting late for our flight. She was waiting for a long time for the housekeeper to get back to her. I left her P500 and told her, I know half of the things listed on that bill is not true. I don't have time to wait, nor will I be paying for something I didn't consume but here's P500 anyway! Then I left.

Restaurant crew -- there's way too many of them. They were polite but they seem to make an extra effort to look the other when asked to come over! It was a common sentiment by myself and all my family members.

I would recommend this place with a lot of reservations!

Room Tip: Stay at the cabanas... forget the hotel rooms! On check in night, they offered my brother-in-law a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed May 22, 2012

This is not our first stay in Chali, but after several years, I felt compelled to visit this place once again with my children, and to my surprise, they have new and better accommodations called-- The Courtyards.

The Courtyards has bigger rooms than the Cabanas. We opted for the ones with two queen beds. We were surprised by the sheer size of the room. It is so spacious and even has its own pocket garden which can be accessed through the bathroom and has view from the bedroom.

The bathroom in itself was huge! It is airy, and has that infamous rain shower head. Anyone could stay there for hours and enjoy the strong water pressure.

The bedroom has beautiful ceiling and lighting fixtures. The airconditioning unit in the room is huge (split-type). The pillows are great including the comfortable sheets. My children loved the huge flat screen television with cable tv.

For those who have laptops, Kindles, iPads and smartphones that requires wifi connection, the signals are strong inside the rooms at The Courtyard. The resort has several wifi connections throughout- the restaurant, the reception area, etc. Wherever you are there is bound to be some signal. :)

Food has improved a lot and has become affordable. The selection is mainly filipino dishes, but they are nicely prepared and servings are huge.

Room Tip: Try the rooms at The Courtyard. Its new and roomy! Great for families and those who needed some pr...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank AlmaCH
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed May 16, 2012

the beach resort/hotel is quite distant from the city center of Cagayan De Oro City but definitely a better option for a place to stay if you are on a holiday. Before confirming our booking in this hotel, I have been cautioned by some friends that the hotel's rooms are quite old but still we went ahead with our booking with due respect to our other friend who took the trouble of finding this hotel for us. Fortunately, when we arrived at the hotel we were pleasantly surprised that we were assigned in their newest block called Courtyard and the rooms are very spacious, clean, modern with 2 queen size bed and big nice bathroom. They have a nice swimming pool and cafe/restaurant. Though the food is just average, nothing extra ordinary, the prices are just okay. Overall, we had a pleasant stay in this resort/hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Yolanda F
Manila
Reviewed May 7, 2011

The rooms at the old hotel wing were large but in need of renovation. There was obvious termite damage within the cabinets. The housekeeping section should pay attention to cleaning the rooms in between check-ins and assure that the toilets are not clogged. I had to constantly ask for extra toilet paper since there was only one roll of two-ply toilet paper in the bathroom. An extra towel rack and some clothes hooks within the bathroom are needed. The beds were no longer firm but I had a better night’s sleep in an extra trundle bed provided on the second night.
The rooms at the cabanas are newer but smaller. Again, the bathroom didn’t have a towel rack or hook. The shower lacked a knob for directing the flow of water from the faucet to the showerhead. There were lots of mosquitoes in the garden so there was no way to prevent them from entering the cabanas. An electric bug zapper in front of each cabana would have helped.
In spite of these problems, in terms of value for money, the resort is worth the price charged. The garden is lovely. There were birds (Chestnut munia) and butterflies flying around at daytime. The pool was very inviting but in the two evenings that I planned to swim, there were weddings so the area was closed off. Perhaps a separate pool area should be constructed for functions so residents can enjoy the facilities as well.
I would have wanted to stay at the newly renovated courtyard area but the rooms were fully booked. I appreciate the use of traditional Cagayan pottery as décor at the reception pavilion and at the ground floor of the hotel wing. Two pottery makers can be found in the Bulua area (Glema and Keramos) around 20 minutes’ drive from the resort. Worth buying (but difficult to transport in a plane) are stoneware teapots and decorative coconuts that are lead-free.
Although there is a spa within the resort, one has to schedule a massage ahead of time. A one-hour session costs 600 pesos.
The restaurant within the resort served traditional Filipino fare that was quite good. I preferred to dine at the resort than in the city’s restaurants because the service was much faster and the food was comparable in taste and price. The sinigang (sour fish soup) and halaan soup (clam soup) are worth ordering. The kinilaw (ceviche) was soured with a local fruit called tabon-tabon (Atuna racemosa ) and a lime (suwa) that smelled like kaffir lime. The effort to incorporate local produce in the menu is commendable. Although there is a traditional Filipino breakfast in the menu, it would have been nice to have rice cakes (puto) leavened with coconut toddy (tuba) or corn cakes in the morning.
Perhaps a change in name of the resort is in order because there is a cement wharf at the back without a beachfront. The proximity of the property to the sea, however, lends cool breezes throughout the day that are welcome after a day in the dusty city.
If you have a limited budget, the Chali Beach Resort is worth looking into (1650 for an old room for 2). If you want to spend a little more than double the amount, the Courtyard area would be great. I will be back, but I will bring my own three-ply toilet paper.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Lilinani
Belgium
Reviewed March 2, 2011

This resort give the impression they have a beach, but in real, there is NO beach at all. The resort is also very concentrated on events (weddings, birthday parties, conferences) which makes it often noisy and the pool area not often available. The garden is very nice, but as it is often been used for other events, just nice to look at, not nice. The managment is arrogant and not nice in doing business with them. My opinion ... if you want a nice resort to relax, then avoid this resort. If you want to use it for an event, like a wedding party, be very carefull as they overcharging for everything; don't deliver what they promisse; they don't treath customers like a customer should be treathed. Some of the personal are friendly, some are far from friendly. The workers to clean the garden do make a lot of noise in the morning (starting at 6am), it seems they don't care guests are sleeping. The food in the restaurant is average to below average. The breakfast is boring. The resort offers free wifi, but problem is that the internet access is more NOT available then it is available. My end-conclusion, this is the worst resort I ever have been and thus, i don't recommend it at all.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank PhilipJP

Travelers are raving about these Cagayan de Oro hotels

Philippines
Reviewed November 16, 2010

We stayed here after our tiring day (from white water rafting at CDO river to ziplining at Bukidnon) The staff are very accomodating.. we did not enjoy the resort much on our first day because we arrived almost 7pm.. the next day we had our breakfast, not much, the usual tapsilog but the taste is good.. the swimming pool is big and clean.. the back of the resort is the beach but they dont have a shoreline where you can walk and i think you can't swim either.. I think this resort is old because of the smell.. but its clean and the rooms are very spacious.. it is worth the price also..

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family