“So so hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #29 of 32 Hotels in Cagayan de Oro
Brooklyn, New York
“So so hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2010

We intially stayed at a budget hotel across Maxandrea btu decided to move because it was just nasty. As for Maxandrea, i liked that their bathroom is spacious, the water pressure is really strong and i was very clean. The staff were friendly too. The only thing I did not like about this is their breakfast, which is a plated. And they offered instant coffee, not even brewed. I was expecting more because it was pricier than most hotels nearby and it's a HOTEL, not an INN. Also, the bed was too small. They initially gave us a room with 2 beds but since we're a couple, we asked for another room with a bigger bed. They gave us a room with a SINGLE bed. Slightly bigger than the one we were supposed to get. I was too tired so we just stayed there. It was the owner who entertained us and she did not seem friendly at all. Considering the hotel is not packed, they could have given us a better room with a bigger bed.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank Aurora M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2009

I am a real person with a real review. When I went to cagayan de oro I had no reservation and had a taxi help me search different hotels. Most were really crappy for an American and did not seem totally safe. There was one hotel called the Pryce Plaza, which was a nice place but way too expensive, especially for the Philippines. Then there was the VIP hotel which was not that bad, a lot less expensive, but still fairly dirty and on a somewhat unsafe street. Not far from the VIP was the Maxandrea. If I remember correctly, my room was about $60 a night and it was a suite or something. I actually talked them down quite a bit on a one week stay. So don't be afraid to bargain. They had a security guard at all times at the entrance who would keep unwanted people out and he also fagged taxis for me. It was also safe leaving my valuable in the room, and the staff was very personal. Tipping will go a long way there and it doesn't need to be much. They helped me find a rental car, and gave me much advice on how to be safe and good places to go. very professional run. One tip is, don't drink the tap water. Just go to the store and buy a case of bottled. They have air conditioning and refrigerators, which is real important to people not from there. and if the water in the toilet seems dirty, that because the city water is dirty, there is nothing the hotel can do. Oh one more tip.....always eat at fancy restaurants(its cheep), or sealed store bought food. If you eat street food(leachon chicken)....you can get food poisoning or sick from the city water in the drinks. Also, watch out for refilled coke bottles in small stores. Have fun! Maxandrea is safe, nice, and affordable.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
4 Thank AMERICANMAN42
Batangas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2009

I stayed there during a conference and other hotels were fully booked. I stayed for a week. I had a pick-up and drop-off to the airport arrangement with the Hotel costing Php 1,000. There is Wi-Fi in the rooms and you get 1 hour for free, above that you pay for.

The Hotel is located in the City. Taxis are easy enough to come by. And it's a short drive to Divisoria which on weekends is their nightlife area (Like Malate). For Shopping and Dinning, the Limeketkai Center is a 15 min drive.

The room I booked was the Supreme Suite which was spacious. The hotel rooms are clean, tidy which we apreciate. But there are several things they need to work on specially when it comes to amenities:

- The complimentary water/cofee and tea was never refilled after the 1st day during the entire week I was there. Which should not be for a 3 star Hotel

- When they clean the room daily, I appreciate the fresh towels, but they always forget to provide me soap & shampoo. I had to call the front desk daily to send me some to my room. And they only provide 1 toothbrush & 1 slipper in the room. Considering I paid for 2 persons, and I was in their suite.

-all the floors except the 7th floor, are SMOKING floors. When you enter your bathroom at the end of the day after being outside, you can smell the cigarrettes and you have to turn on the exhaust fan. They had only 2 supreme suites and none of them was on a non-smoking floor (7th flr)

-The food is nothing to rave about. They have limited choices on their menu. They only have 5 choices for breakfast. It's ok if you will be staing 1 or 2 days but for a week, it was depressing.

-There is a bussiness center (where there's nobody there), a gym that's closed, and no spa. Relaxation here is out.

-Airconditioning needs works. The rooms weren't cold enough.

-Keep guest requests to a minimum. Although in general the staff is friendly and courteous, We had to go out early and requested for an early breakfast, they refused to accomodate us and there were 3 couples request that for the same day because we were going to Camiguin on a tour.

-If you need to arrange tours, call one of the local travel agencies. The hotel doesn't arrange any tours.

If I were to stay here again it would be ok with me, but I'd try the other hotels first.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business