“good enough”

Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Cagayan de Oro
philippines
“good enough”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Our group got over 15 rooms for this particular trip. From a standard and deluxe bedroom for 2, upwards to the suite rooms for 4 and 6.

The suite room that has 3 bedrooms is where I stayed. It is unusual they treat this as a room for 4, although upgradeable to 6. Even if we requested that we are 6, we had to request for extra pillows and towels. The 2 bedrooms shared a common split type wall mount aircon. It could not cool the both rooms adequately. The living room had a very strong aircon, same with the 1st bedroom. It has basic toilet amenities, except the claimed hair dryer is nowhere to be found, and the soap was bad, it does not lather. The other rooms are in the same condition, good beds, overall ok.

I agree with some reviews about the elevators. The 2 elevators near the main lobby seems adequate. But if one goes around the corner, they have another 3 elevators! However, to go to the suite rooms area, it is not accessible from the 2 main elevators. From the main lobby to the upper floors, they do not have enough signages to point the directions from your room to the elevators. They do have signages from the elevators to the rooms. This is relevant because their corridors are not the typical turn left or right. Their corridors is like a basic maze. In my case, when I get out of the elevator, the corridor is either left or right. I turn right. then I turn left. then along this corridor, there is a fork (go straight or turn right) where I have to to turn right towards my room.

I had breakfast here several times. The only one that changed was the bacon one day became some kind of sausage the next, and the noodles became mixed veggies. Everything else were the same, even the barely edible scrambled eggs. Yeah, its just a tummy filler. Pancakes were good though. Of course, they had some fruits, even the popular pineapples. That was good.

Front desk check in is slow. And not because we were a large group. We did not check in at the same time.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank al22tecc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Vietnamese first
Lviv, Ukraine
Reviewed April 2, 2014

i love the room decor of the icon.! the rooms are plush and after a hard day's work or play, it is comforting to come home albeit, home never looked this good! the only shortcoming is their restaurant. it has gone down a little the last few times i have stayed there.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank goeef l
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Mallberry is as good as any four star hotel i have stayed in. I mean, bath tub, nice shampoo and conditioner, soap, good beds, large TV, keyless entry. However, there are a few things missing. Toothbrush, lotion, maybe a few more toiletries. The hotel is large with only two elevators close to each other so if you have the misfortune of getting a room at the edge then it is a long walk to the elevator (although maybe because i had an injured ankle). Its near robinsons and limketkai mall so shopping is good (bought a lot from the lacoste outlet at limketkai) and food choices are plentiful. There is a swimming pool but i didnt visit it. TV has cable and is quite large

The main downside is the almost nonexistent wifi connection. I mean you can connect but thats it. no download whatsoever. Convention facilities are adequate.

Breakfast is buffet type but wholly ordinary. There are juices (powdered juice), brewed coffee, scrambled eggs, fried rice, and two meat dishes and one vegetable. Bread and pancakes are also available. for dessert, fruits and muffins. the breakfast room is nice but the food is nothing unusually good.

Room Tip: get one near the elevator
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank thefilipinobulldog
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Stayed here with my wife during Christmas and it was a decent stay. Breakfast was plenty even though the hotel was full. Staff are very helpful and accomodating. Near Lim Ket Kai mall and Robinson's for grocerys and gifts to take back home.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brunohits
Valencia City, Philippines
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Been in this hotel twice and the best thing that this hotel can offer is the location, it is inside the limketkai center.

The breakfast is superb buffet and plenty of selections.

The receptionist are good and the guards are always on a high alert. All of their staff are friendly and will greet you all the time.

The downside of our stay is that they don't have a back-up generator at that time, there's a blackout so the hotel is so dark.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Scottie B
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed February 8, 2014

The nice thing about this hotel is the friendly 'door men' and that they have lots of nice places to relax so you aren't just stuck in your room. The lobby is big, has wifi, nice couches and a light, airy atmosphere. There is also an additional lounge on the second floor, which also holds a nice pool, good gym (although the aircon could be cooler) and a lovely Spa. (I had a very nice massage there).
It would have been good if there was a safe in the room and also I had to request an iron (which for a 'business' hotel should really be standard in a room. You also had to iron on the bed. The hair dryer was rubbish, but if you regulary blow dry your hair, I gather you would bring your own.
We used the conference room there and it was very nice with all the equipment necessary and attentive staff.
Right next to Robinsons mall and the Rosso restaurant in the hotel was nice. It's a shame that the breakfast on level 2 was not so great and even a boiled egg option would be a good addition to their offerings. They only offered a weird scrambled egg this which was not very nice and Asian food. The fresh fruit was nice though.

Room Tip: You pay for what you get. Originally I was booked in the Superior room, which I thought was not goo...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank ellebee2000
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I stay here very often. However, during my last stay the service was markedly poor compared to my usual experience with this hotel. First they made a mistake with my booking(made reservations over the phone) and gave me a room more expensive than the type I usually stay in. When I checked in and found out about the mistake, I decided to go with the more expensive room since I was only staying for 2 nights on this particular trip. However, when I checked out I decided to tell the front desk clerk about the problem. This was where it took a particularly drastic downturn. Instead of sympathizing(just even a little bit), since I just wanted to make sure it doesn't happen again, she just frowns at me and ignores my question. Very, very rude. I had to tell her that I was a regular guest at the hotel and wanted to make sure it doesn't happen again, and even asked her to write down my reservation number, which she ignores until I tell her again to please write it down and check. I must say, I was shocked at her response, considering their personnel have always been polite and accommodating. It was when I told her that I knew the hotel's owners that she changed her tone and the look on her face. I asked her to make sure to get me feedback regarding the mistake or I would have no choice but to bring it up with the hote's owners. It's been a while now, and no feedback whatsoever. I would still stay at this hotel, but I fervently hope they change their front desk staff immediately. They are sullying the otherwise good name of this nice establishment.

Room Tip: Book ahead by at least a week, they tend to be full most of the time.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo