“Pushes a few of the buttons”

Mallberry Suites Business Hotel
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Cagayan de Oro
Davao City, Philippines
“Pushes a few of the buttons”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We've stayed at many different hotels in Cagayan de Oro and this time chose to stay closer to the malls etc. We stayed here for two nights and the rooms were fine. Exactly what you would expect for a hotel of this quality and clean. Good bathrooms as well. The staff were super friendly and did a great job. The only down point...breakfast! For a hotel (and room) of this price I was expecting way better. Everything else was fine...they just dropped the ball with the breakfast.
Come on guys...it's breakfast...so easy to do, so why not do it right!!!
The other thing is the location. Though close to all the malls, this place is tucked in an alley behind a mall and to walk to the nearby shops and restaurants you have to walk down an alley past garbage dumps etc. As good as the room is...just not going to do that any more.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Casa R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Vietnamese first
Antipolo City, Philippines
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This is my 3rd time to check-in at this hotel for a business trip. I'm very much disappointed with my stay this time. First, the bathroom's shower head, faucet and soap dish looked like they haven't been cleaned. We can also smell the food being cooked in the kitchen. I requested for a transfer to a better room and, if needed, a room upgrade. They upgraded our room to the business floor with the corresponding additional charge. The bathroom and its fixtures were clean and everything seemed to be fine until we used the free wifi in the room. The previous room, which was cheaper, had better connection. We complained three times but kept getting the same response that they will re-connect after 3 minutes. Since we were here on a business trip, wifi connection is very important to receive and send emails. I had to step out of the room and go to the lobby of our floor to get connected. So inconvenient!!! To top it all, our room reeked of the smell of food being cooked in the kitchen. We surmised that they had a defective exhaust system. When brought to the attention of the front desk, they offered to transfer us to another room at 11 in the evening! What made matters worse was when she called us to say that she was going to move us to another room but it was on the smoking floor. What??? Seriously??? Just so happy that it's just an overnight stay. Happy to be leaving this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I have been in Mallberry for several times now. I still check in here whenever there's official travel. I found the staff to be very busy that they have not find ample time to estimate guests in a better way. The rooms where I stayed, all standard, are spacious enough for one person. The rooms can still be improved by providing more ambient tones to it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed September 16, 2013

The hotel is a 3 star hotel so don't expect 4 or 5 star service and comfort. The check in was smooth and they allowed us to check in early instead of waiting for the normal 2 PM check in time. Service from the hotel staff was good and the price of the room was a good value..

The room was adequate size with one king size bed, but the pillows were not comfortable, a flat screen TV with cable, a refrigerator with some snacks and drinks inside, and the prices of the snacks were reasonable for a hotel. No in room safe, but they do have a repository next to the check in desk for your valuables. The room has a water pot to heat water for coffee and two packets of 3 in 1 coffee.

The bathroom was adequate size with a tube and shower combination, but no reliable hot water and no washcloths. Large mirror in bathroom. There is also a hair dryer on the wall of the bathroom but did not use it so don't know if it works well.

Free WIFI is available in the room, but it didn't seem to work well. Every time I tried to connect, I had to call the operator to reset the router and it would work for a while. The WIFI on the first floor lobby seemed to work well. There was a LAN cable outlet at the little built in desk area in the room and I tried it once and it worked, but when I tried it a second time, it didn't work.

The room comes with a breakfast buffet that was served on the 7th floor. The buffet is basic but adequate, no cereals that I could find, but scrambled eggs, meats,rice, fruit, bread etc., coffee and juice..

The trip from the new airport to the hotel is quite long and if you have to take a taxi, it will be from 700 to 1,000 pesos depending on how you negotiate and how hungry the taxi driver is. The hotel charges 2,000 pesos for pickup.

The hotel is close to Robinson's mall, just across the small street, and there are also restaurants in the hotel. The Laguna cafe, I think it's called has excellent filipino fare if you are looking for that.

Not a bad stay, and will probably stay there again when we go back.

The hotel has other features which we did not use, swimming pool, spa, etc, so can't comment.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Davao City, Davao City, Philippines
Reviewed September 13, 2013

* Difficult to get a parking slot esp. between 9AM - 2PM and 6PM - 9PM.
* Stinky garbage storage at Robinson side is also a big turn-off.
*Standard rooms are mostly "sandwiched" between concrete structures, giving you a feeling of being "cramped" into a small space.
*Getting good Cellphone signals reception is also a challenge.
* Same breakfast buffet selection every other day. Memorized ko na.

Room Tip: Suggest asking for Corporate Solo rooms which are usually located on the back wing, and having no ot...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed in this hotel twice already. I like that it is strategically located and easy access to malls. The rooms are clean and value for money. They also have a SPA which is very relaxing and affordable. The buffet breakfast has limited choices of food. They have this restaurant near the front office that served one of the best Kare-Kare. Must try! The staffs are very accommodating and friendly.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Makati City,Philippines
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We picked this hotel for its value, convenience and location. My family is from CDO but since I needed a strong wi-fi connection for remote work, we chose this hotel despite the far-from-stellar feedback I have read about their rooms, t&b and service. I will not anymore add comments about the condition of the room and the t&b as all of them are true. What surprised me though was the kind for service we received, I was expecting a run-of-the-mill type of customer service in a very laid-back pace (read: slow) but the staff was actually warm, attentive and responded to all our requests in a timely manner. We also didn't experience any delay checking-in considering that I only called to book the hotel 4 hours before we arrived. I requested for the room to be vacuumed (carpet looked filthy), clothes to be pressed and blow dry for the bathroom (yes, this has to be requested) and these were all attended to promptly. My only comment is about their wi-fi connection, before making a reservation over the phone I specifically asked if signal was strong their rooms as I didn't want to do my work in lobby and I was assured that they have no wi-fi connectivity issues IN THE ROOM. This is not entirely true, signal in the room that I stayed was intermittent and I had to use a dongle for back-up which didn't really work for me. Quite a bummer since this was the reason why I booked in their hotel in the first place. Other than that, everything else was pretty okay, I had my expectations low and was somehow pleasantly surprised.

TIP: Since you call yourself a business hotel, you need to work on getting a decent internet connection in the rooms not just in the lobby.

Room Tip: Rooms have no view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family