“Good enough”

Mallberry Suites Business Hotel
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Cagayan de Oro
Reviewed December 9, 2012

There are a LOT of front desk personnel BUT no one seems to know exactly what they need to do. Guests line up for so many minutes just to fill in guest registration forms - they could have asked each one to write on one as soon as they line up to make the process faster, but each one at the desk seem to be pre-occupied with something.

The housekeeping was remiss in that I was checked into a room that only had sheets done -- the bathroom was a mess (literally! there were remnants of that mess on the toilet bowl!) AND YET it was cleared for a new guest. Really, really, really BAD... HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE.

The room I eventually got was ok for its price and its size. There was only one soggy pillow in the room.

The function room we rented out for our meeting was way too dark. i do not understand why they had to paint the windows with BLACK PAINT. The meeting rooms were supposed to gather people for meetings and not karaoke... so why cut out the natural light?

The food was good, not spectacular but good. The serving of the pasta was extremely large and can be shared by 3 people.

The staff assigned to the function rooms are not usually at hand to help out; you need to consistently look for them.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

This hotel is located in the city, beside Robinsons Mall Limketkai Center, approx 40min drive from Cgayan de Oro airport. Location-wise, it is great. Plenty of restaurants and a shopping mall within walking distance. Check-in process was good but staffs lack hospitality, except the bell boy. Room size is decent and general quality of room fixture is above average for hotel in this town in Mindanao. TV is LCD type with a good selection of internatioal and local channels. Bed is comfy.The biggest grief that I had is the internet connection. It is free but the connection is very pathetic, got cut-off frequently and down for most of the time. Not really a "business" hotel. Other small minuses are air-cond (old wall-recessed type) is very noisy, literally no room view and room key is deactivated at 12noon each day. So, you have to reactivate your room key everyday (it's a pain right!). My colleague, who is a regular at this hotel, said this "problem" is always there. Had a dinner at the hotel-owned Russo restaurant. Food quality and service is below average. Breakfast is at Level 7. Lack of choices. Just a few selection of local food. Well, I think this is as good as you get for PHP 1,870.00 per night (all inclusive). Can't really complain.

Room Tip: Choose higher floors, better view.
Reviewed November 26, 2012

the location of the hotel is convenient because it is right across the mall (robinsons mall and limketkai mall) = the convenience ends there. from the reservation to check out, this hotel spells i-n-c-o-n-v-e-n-i-e-n-c-e. took me quite a while to successfully get my message across to the reservation staff re: booking details (room accommodation, use of conference room, meals, etc). breakfast buffet was not enough for the rest of the hotel guests (there were situations that there were still guests but there were only leftovers in the buffet area). the rooms are okay (one would be able to sleep well). the reception staff were a bit inefficient (took a long time to absorb reservation details; took a while to look for guest's name, etc.). the service of the hotel staff (bellboys, chambermaids) are fine. billing had issues as well - agreed with their sales team that usage of conference room and room accommodation would be billed separately, but the reception staff cashier billed everything under room charge - reached the limit - hence, need to be settled asap.

i used to stay in this hotel for quite a number of times (in which the service is okay); i don't know what happened to their level of service.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

our family is seldom complete due to school and work schedules. so for the last week of october 2012, we decided to bond at cagayan de oro and i only had one choice to stay at - the Mallberry Suites Hotel. their amenities were complete for our needs. the suite we booked was enough for our family of 6. housekeeping service was superb. they were prompt in addressing our needs. the gym had the equipments we needed to use, the spa was rejuvenating. breakfast was free and a wide variety of food and fruit choices was available everyday. cable and wifi was great. everyone working there from the guards to the staff plus the k-9 dog were nice and cordial. its location is very near restaurants and cafes so going around is just a walk away. more trips to cdo for our family in the future and we will still choose to stay at Mallberry Suites Hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ceny28
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Went on a business trip, so the company shouldered the costs. It was a bit expensive, though but I loved the food, the cleanliness and best of all, the location.
* Food was great! However, they should increase the capacity of their restaurant. With the volume of people, we have to fall in long lines to take our buffet breakfast.
* As expected, they clean the rooms daily.
* I think most conventions, summits and the like are held at CDO are held by organizers at Limketkai Mall, which is just walking distance from this hotel.
I could imagine going back to this hotel on a business trip, but not for a family vacation considering the room rates of this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank KimuTan
Reviewed October 28, 2012

About midnight there were men outside my window of this hotel working on their truck and making a lot of noise.
I went to the lobby and asked the manager of the hotel if they could please ask the men outside my hotel window to be more quiet.
The manager sent one of the hotel employees to ask the men outside my window to please wait until morning to work on their truck.
About 10 minutes later, as I was itting in the lobby of the hotel, I felt a punch to the back of my head. I tried to stand up, but I was punched several more times.
The owner of the truck was not happy about my complaint, and had entered the hotel and punched me in the head several times.
The manager of the hotel, and about 40 other people in the lobby saw what had happened.
I asked for the police to be called, but the manager was too scared to call the police because the man that hit me was a politician from Davao.

Anyway, I was physically assaulted, and the management of the hotel refused to help.
The next morning I refused to pay for my room due to how I was treated.

The hotel is not safe, you can be physically beaten in the lobby, and management will do nothing.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
14  Thank fredf22
Reviewed October 6, 2012

The best attitude to have when staying here is not to expect too much. Just because the hotel has the closest proximity to two large malls does not mean they can take their rooms for granted. For starters, the keycard's lamination is starting to peel off which makes it difficult to insert in the door and wall slots. Once you enter, the lights fail to give adequate illumination even when three are on. The furniture and airconditioner certainly have seen better days; this being so, the flat screen TV stands out as your best friend. Bedsheets, pillows, towel all look very tired and begging to be replaced. Curiously mine was a twin bed but had only one towel! Austerity measure? Because the rooms are so close to each other, I literally felt sandwiched. You can hear the toilet flushing from the front, loud laughter from the back, and stomping of feet from above. The best consolation for me was the thought that I was staying for just one night. Next time, I'll probably consider the new Ayala hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business