“A place to avoid”

Mallberry Suites Business Hotel
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Cagayan de Oro
Reviewed September 11, 2011

I was in this hotel on a business trip for one week. Here my impressions:
Restaurant:
- The seater/greeters in the breakfast frrom were more occupied in chatting and sending text messages than in welcoming guests.
- Every morning I asked for a hot coffee with hot milk. I only got it once. the rest of the time the milk was cold.
Housekeeping:
- The room was not once vacuum cleaned during the whole week.
- When I asked for extra towels they wanted to charge me extra for this
- There was no laundry list nor bag available. Only once a manager took some actions I received a list.
- One of the shirts I send to the laundry service came back with the same spot than when I gave it for cleaning.
Genereal impression:
- I had a room on the 2nd floor and I asked to change for a higher floor. They only did it once I was ready to pay more. I paied a lot of extra monney for a view on the back-side of an uggly shopping mall.
- No real management who can take decisions if something goes wrong
- No internal communication. I announced a late departure the day before at the front desk and neither the housekeeping nor the front desk morning shift was informed. Even if I repeated at the front desk at noon that I check out at 1PM they didn't inform the housekeeper who shoed up at 12:30.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank Rob65_10

Reviewed August 11, 2011

We stay at this hotel each time we visit Cagayan de Oro. The rooms are well maintained, the bedsheets are nice and clean and the rooms are equipped with flat screen tv. However not all rooms have a mini ref so if you need one, you have to call in advance. The amenities offered are very basic: shampoo and soap and bathroom tissue. The bathroom tissue roll is small (half the sheets of a regular roll) and you have to call Housekeeping if you need extra and you definitely will need an extra roll or two. They only provide 1 pillow per bed so again, if you need an extra pillow then you'll have to request one. I also requested a hair dryer so I suggest that you take stock of what you need before calling Housekeeping so you can just put in all your requests once.

The hotel is very ideally located. In front of it is the Robinsons Mall where there's a Robinsons Supermarket. I love Robinsons Supermarket and the one in Cagayan de Oro is one of the best. You can buy some local goods like Cheding's Peanuts and Vandep's Pastel bread to take home with you to give out to friends and family. The supermarket also has a salad bar. There's also a gelato place near the walkalator called Missy Bonbon and it's not bad at all.

There are a lot of restaurants in the area like Bigby's, Sunburst Chicken, Mooon Cafe, Starbucks and I forgot to mention that there's also a Cafe Laguna right inside the Mallberry Suites. You can also have coffee and cake at the lobby and pricing is very reasonable. Overall, I would say that food is reasonably-priced in Cagayan de Oro.

Breakfast is at the 7th floor and the buffet spread is not bad at all.

Room Tip: Please call in advance for any special requests that you might have.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank QCMotherD
Reviewed August 7, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for 5 days, first 3 days was spent in their most affordable room that provided two single beds, bathroom, cable tv and A/C. The room is a bit worn out but still it is better compared to other business hotels. ( Please view pictures ) There is no refrigerator in their affordable rooms. The beds are comfortable but your window has no view. There is no bathtub either but it has a hot/cold shower.

The last two days in Mallberry Suites, I stayed in the a different room. A room that offered a view of the establishment upfront, a bathtub, a refrigerator and two beds ( one of which is queen size, instead of the usual two single beds ).

I was told that since I am being transferred to a room since my old room was already reserved by someone else, this would be an "upgrade."

This is where the trouble started! They forgot to tell me that the upgrade to a different and bigger room required me to pay for the price for the upgrade. I did not find this out until when I checked out.

So that is my personal experience with Mallberry Suites. I am willing to overlook that experience and would stay in this hotel because of these reasons:

1. Very close to the main Malls of Cagayan de Oro (Location)
2. Great Access to local pubs/restaurants/clubs (Location)
3. If you want to go to a place anywhere in CDO, you can just walk a few steps where in a dozen Taxis are waiting for customers 24/7 (Location)

CONS:

1. The hotel staff needs to have some refresher course/training in handling customers. The check out is very chaotic as you hear people complaining from the hidden charges they incurred knowing their stay. I was one of them.
2. No free WiFi! You have to buy a card to access the hotel's wifi. Which I bought, it was too slow. I ended up buying two. The Free WiFi in McDonald's is much faster. So just go there ( a few blocks away )
3. The hotel has clubs/bars so it gets noisy at night till 2 AM. So bring your earplugs!

It is worth it, just as long you know what you will be paying for.

Room Tip: Asked to be assigned a room in the New Wing! The new wing of the hotel is 100% better!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank undob0y
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I never thought I would go back to this hotel after our past experience. My wife and I stayed in this hotel last March 2011 and we had a terrible experience. We found the room too small and lacking amenities. During our stay, the toilet bowl got clogged and overflowed!!! The bathroom had no exhause so the whole room smelled like a toilet, Unfortunately, there were no other available room so we just went out while the maintenace cleaned the toilet and aired out the room. When I wanted to swim, I was saddened to find out that the pool was closed because of a private function! I dont mind using the pool while there was an ongoing birthday party, the management should not prohibit guests from using the pool since I believe that it is part of the hotel amenities that you pay for. They can rent out the pool area for functions but hotel guests should be allowed to use the pool. We left vowng never to return again. Unfortunately, I was again invited to Cagayan de Oro for business and was booked again at the Mallberry. I think most companies prefer this hotel because it is conveniently located near Robinsons and Limketkai mall and few mintues walk from the "strip." A group of nice bars and restaurants. I gave it another chance and again I was disappointed:
1. The small road leading to the hotel entrance is so narrow and always crowded with taxis, vans and cars since the hotel is behind the Robinsons mall and is facing the parking entrance.
2. The garbage containers of the mall is located on that road so if you are walking to the hotel, you will have to pass thru those huge garbage bins usually overflowing with trash and the road is always wet with garbage juice. You can pass thru Robinsons mall (entering thru the parking area) during mall hours to avoid passing thru this road, but if you are going back to the hotel late in the evening from the strip, you have no choice but to walk thru the road. (It is too near to take the taxi and i dont remember seeing any taxis in that area)
3. When we got to the room, again the room was too small and bare. There's no coffee table or extra chairs or couch. No decors or flowers or fruit bowl or welcome drinks. There was just the bed and two small side tables beside it. There was just a table with drawers at the foot of the bed where the TV was on. There is no view in the room. Dont even think of drawing the curtains since you will just see the wall of the mall or a small kitchenette behind the hotel.
4. The toilet was very small (2X3 meters? - 1 meter for the shower, a meter for the door and 1 meter for the toilet seat.) There were no toiletries or towels when we got there. No exhaust too.
5. The lectronic card receptacle inside the room was not working so the electricity wouldnt turn on. The maintenance couldnt fix it so we just left one key in the receptacle the whole time to keep the electricty on.
6. We stayed in a room on the third floor and when we got back to the room at midnight, the room smelled like a kitchen! It smelled like somebody prepared a chinese laureat in the room. I looked outside the window if there was an exhaust pipe from a kitchen or restaurant directed towards the room but i couldnt see any (too dark). It was too late and we were too tired so we just slept thru the smell. We just sprayed perfume on the pillows and the bed to make it more tolerable.
When we checked out the next day, I inquired how much the room was (my host paid for the room) and found out it was only P1900 (roughly $45) per night. No wonder the room was lousy, we got what we paid for (or in my case, what my host paid for).
As I said, the good thing about this hotel is its convenient location. The staffs were also friendly and attentive. Unfortunately, even the sweetest smiles and greetings of their staffs couldnt remove the stink from the room.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms have the same size, you could ask for the room that doesnt smell like a kitche...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank traveldoc298573
Reviewed July 24, 2011

The place was new but still needs improvements my room was bare. Towels were not available you have to request it. No floor mats for the restroom.

Only thing great was shopping area was near.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Pj_rtd
Reviewed July 15, 2011

for my 1 week stay in Cagayan de Oro I was booked into this hotel by a friend who claimed it to be the 3rd best hotel in the city.
Well, it was clean and the bed was comfortable, but that is about it. I would not want to stay there again for the money.
The rooms are rather bare and coldly designed, the tv did not work, a request to housekeeping remained unanswered. There was construction going on that made it impossible to find rest between 8am and 5pm. My request to talk to the manager remains unanswered until today, the only response was a note that was slipped shamefully under my door...informing that there was construction noise and if one feels that it is too much he should contact the manager.......
Breakfast was included in the price of PHP 2,400/night...it was served in a makeshift small room at cooling house temperatures...which means that from the time you picked it up until you returned to your seat it was cold. Breakfast was nothing creative but solid 3star. The room was much too small, I had to wait for a table almost every day. The rooms themselves are clean, there is an extremely noisy aircon unit, that is the kind of cheap hole-in-the-wall-stuff you can find in many places in the Philippines. No remote for it and no temperature to choose. In the night it gives the choice of no sleep because of loud aircon or no sleep because of hot room....There are no amenities like hairdryer, bathrobe or slippers. You have an in-room-safe, though. Housekeeping was sloppy, sometimes forgetting to fill up on toilet paper, putting a mat in the bathroom or re-stock the minibar.
Internet is theoretically available in wifi form, you have to buy a card at reception. However, the signal is so weak that you cannot use it in the room. Only while opening the door of your room and holding your notebook out into the hallway.... There is a shopping mall just across the parking lot that offers free (and high quality) wifi during operating hours.
Also there is a spa and an indoor swimming pool on the second floor of Mallberry. I did not use either of them but they looked very good.
All in all it was a safe and clean place, with no feeling of comfort. I would not book it again but either get a better room at the same price or the same room at a much lower price in Cagayan.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank allaretakenwhatthef
Reviewed July 11, 2011

i have stayed in mallberry suites for a few times already and i must say it must be one of the best in cagayan de oro!

the first time i stayed there, the hotel in general made a good impression on me. the staff were friendly, the room clean and cozy. my most recent stay in 2011, proved that mallberry suites is the place to be when in CDO. during my last stay, the hotel was under renovation to add more rooms. i can't wait to see how it would look like once it's finished.

the room was clean and nice, as well as the bathroom. i was able to visit their spa but since it only had a few rooms i had it in my room instead. also note that their wi-fi comes with a fee.

their ballroom looked a bit small compared to a grand one but it easily accomodated 200 pax during our conference.

what i enjoyed the most about the hotel was their staircase. it was very accessible so i didn't need to wait for the elevator every time and just walked up and down it. it was also one way to have exercise!

the hotel is also nicely located near two malls so everything you need is within reach. around it are also lots of restaurants which you can choose from. but if you'd rather have a meal right inside the hotel, their restaurant at the lobby is also a fine place to dine in.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business