“it was awesome the first time...still awesome the next!”

Mallberry Suites Business Hotel
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Cagayan de Oro
Philippines
“it was awesome the first time...still awesome the next!”
Reviewed July 11, 2011

i have stayed in mallberry suites for a few times already and i must say it must be one of the best in cagayan de oro!

the first time i stayed there, the hotel in general made a good impression on me. the staff were friendly, the room clean and cozy. my most recent stay in 2011, proved that mallberry suites is the place to be when in CDO. during my last stay, the hotel was under renovation to add more rooms. i can't wait to see how it would look like once it's finished.

the room was clean and nice, as well as the bathroom. i was able to visit their spa but since it only had a few rooms i had it in my room instead. also note that their wi-fi comes with a fee.

their ballroom looked a bit small compared to a grand one but it easily accomodated 200 pax during our conference.

what i enjoyed the most about the hotel was their staircase. it was very accessible so i didn't need to wait for the elevator every time and just walked up and down it. it was also one way to have exercise!

the hotel is also nicely located near two malls so everything you need is within reach. around it are also lots of restaurants which you can choose from. but if you'd rather have a meal right inside the hotel, their restaurant at the lobby is also a fine place to dine in.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank arashiwantsme

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Vietnamese first
cagayan de oro city
Reviewed June 17, 2011

great great great hotel sooooo far in cagayan de oro city, very affordable! i love the zen ambience...

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ZOM88
Cebu Island, Philippines
Reviewed June 16, 2011

We normally stay at Mallberry suites business hotel whenever we were in town bec. It is conveniently located and clean.
The only down side to the hotel is their breakfast buffet which is "blah"..quite redundant if you will be staying for a couple of days...i do hope that they can improve on their menu and even on the taste of food.." you can get better & tastier pancakes from the commercially prepared hotcakes on supermarkets than what you can get from their breakfast..."

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank usherkookie
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed June 4, 2011

We stayed at a Residence Suite at the Mallberry Suites and were happy because the rooms are fairly new. The room was tastefully decorated and fairly complete with coffee/tea pot, microwave, and refrigerator.

The hotel is located within the Limketkai Commercial Complex, which gives you easy access to malls and lots of dining options. The only downside with the location is that it's directly behind the Robinsons mall, which means you encounter the mall's parking area, delivery bays, and garbage disposal when you exit the hotel lobby, which is otherwise very roomy and bright.

We appreciated the indoor pool and gym the hotel provides. Wifi is available but for a fee.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank olegnatadero
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed May 22, 2011

I was very doubtful booking our stay at Mallberry suites. Not only does their website look crappy and unprofessional, they also did not have anything sent to me online after I booked our reservation.

I called and was given a reservation number and then received nothing else after that. I also booked a hotel pick up and drop off but had to call the hotel again hours before our flight to make sure we were getting picked up. Good thing I did because it sounded like our pick up schedule that I booked 2 weeks prior was not communicated to the driver.

We were picked up from the airport and the driver was very kind. Check in process was also okay. The hotel was literally in front of a mall and just minutes away from restaurants in the area. Looks very promising!

That is until we got to our room. We did not have towels. So we go and ask for 3 (I usually need 2 while my significant other uses just 1). We were then told that if you ask for an extra towel, it will cost you 50 pesos.

The following day, our towels were taken again and we had to request for 3 towels again. We were charged another 50 but this time they gave us a total of 4 towels instead of just 3. Come billing time we find out that on our second night, we were charged 150 pesos for some super crappy towels.

Don't expect a lot from the free breakfast. They were serving 'arroz caldo' in there but when I tried it, it was rice and water. It tasted like... Water. Lol. They had rice and tocino but they were all blah tasting.

The hotel stay might be cheap (2,400/night) but our stay explained to us just why that is.

There's nothing much to see in Cagayan too except for the rafting activity and the Dahilayan park. If we go back here, we'll probably just stay here for a night and then stay longer in Camiguin.

If you just want a place to crash and you're not very picky when it comes to hotels, this is a good place to go. But if you want a nicer hotel and towels without having to ask for one, don't stay here.

• Stayed May 2011
3 Thank NomadLooloo
Brewster, New York
Reviewed March 25, 2011

It is sometimes difficult to describe hotel acommodations to domestic or international standards. You can not expect to find 5 star international standards hotels in Cagayan De Oro that are similar to Intercontinental in Makati, or the Marriot Marquee in New York USA or those on " The Srtip " in Las Vegas. You are also not going to be paying hundreds of US Dollars per night in any of the hotels in Cagayan De Oro either.

I have visited several accredited hotels in Cagayan De Oro on various visits and on my last visit I made advance reservations at Mallberry Suites. My room was ready when I checked in at 1 PM.

Every time I have visited CDO, I have always ended up going to Limkatkai Mall and Robinsons Mall which is across the street from Mallberry Suites so this also had an influence on my decision to give this hotel a try on my last visit. It was also suggested by local friends in CDO.

My room was clean upon arrival and maintained during my stay. I always check that everything in the room is fully functional before setteling into a room. Lighting, Air Conditioner, Plumbing , TV and refridgerator all checked out ok and fully functional. I had requested a smoking room with a window ( I do like to chainge the air in the room once in a while ). I had to have the front desk send maintenance to make the window functional, which was done promptly. The windows are locked for safety reasons to prevent small children from falling out of the windows and you may have to sign a disclaimer to have the window unlocked and made functional.

I found the restaurant good, the food was well prepared and appropriately served in a timely manner. I invited some local friends there for dinner one evening and all agreed it was enjoyable. The buffet breakfast was not overly exciting but as it was included with the price of the room I was not expecting anything overly extravagant. There waqs no actual problem with the breakfaast buffet food although some of it was not as hot or warm that you might expect it to be.

There is also a coctail lounge area on the opposite side of the lobby area featuring beverages of your choice and on some evenings there was live entertainment There is a smoking area in one of the far corners of the coctail lounge with sufficient ventilation to prevent interference with the majority of seating areas in other parts of the coctail lounge.

The indoor swimming pool was refreshing and not crowded at the time of my stay. I enjoyed the use of it several times along with the snack bar type lounge adjoining the pool area. There is a 100 Peso charge per person for the use of the pool. I think one reason for this may be to keep the room costs lower for those that do not make use of the pool during their stay which I feel is a reasonable explanation. The entire pool area appeared to be well maintained and very clean. The condition of the water was not overchlorinated as can be found in some chlorinated pools.

There is a small Internet Cafe for hotel guests not far from the pool and snack bar lounge area. Cost is about twice of that found in street internet cafes but here, you do not have to leave the hotel and its security and the equipment in this hotel Internet Cafe is in much better condition than you may experience in public cafes.

WiFi is available although it is not Free. You have to buy a log in card at the front desk to gain access to the hotel WiFi to make use of the Internet in your room if you have your laptop or similar device with you .

Security at this hotel is very good at the main entrance and in other parts of the hotel as well. Hotel staffing was good and very polite and helpful at all times.

Mallberry Suites is accredited with the Region 10 Board of Tourism. I would strongly suggest especially for foriegn visitors that regardless of which hotel you decide upon, the choice of an accomodation that is Accredited with the Board of tourism can be a better choice. If you have any descrepency that the hotel can not resolve you have the back-up and assistance of the Region 10 Board of Tourism that can back you up if need be. I met the head of the tourism board, Mr. Chan on a prior visit who responded rapidly to a slight discrepency that I had with a place I visited in Cagayan De Oro.

The close ( within walking distance ) proximity of two major shopping malls and a wide variety of restaurants across the street from the malls provide quite a variety of places to eat and for shopping.

One thing I did not find in Mallberry Suites that were present in some of the other hotels I have stayed at in Cagayan De Oro, was the presence of ants. This is a situation that I believe goes with the geography and climate in this part of the world. From past experience, I usually have a aerosol can of insect spray with me. I did Not have to use it at Mallberry Suites.

I stayed at Mallberry Suites for 4 nights, no problems, no worries, and found it to be very enjoyable. I will stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank BobnewyorkUSA
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed March 8, 2011

WE went to Cagayan de oro for business and was not sure which hotel to stay. Im particular with the bed to be soft based on international 4-5 star standard.
1st we went to Pryce Plaza, its resort type, quite old furnishings with big rooms and nice bed but location was it was not great since it is far from everything and taxi may be hard to come by.2nd, we went to Grand City Hotel smack in the city center, but it so dilapilated, dark, being renovated,dirty and the bed and room was uncomfy really, same as Discovery coz we need wi-fi access which they dont have...so we were pointed to nearby Mallberry Suites and it is right beside Robinson's Mall, great restaurants, complimentary breakfast was yummy, and the room is clean and nice except that the carpet is thinly ordinary.

Stayed March 2011, traveled on business