“A Pleasant Surprise in Bicol”
Review of CBD Plaza Hotel

CBD Plaza Hotel
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Naga
Reviewed June 13, 2013

This is a blog I wrote about this hotel... read on...

I went on a trip to Bicol with my friends and we stayed at this hotel in Naga City. Its one of the “expensive” places that we stayed in so we were expecting more.

But it was disappointing to see the rooms were tiny, it doesn’t even have a closet space, the bathroom? I bumped my knee on the sink when I was trying to wear my jeans (yeah, it’s that small). And no free WiFi! The other hotel we stayed in has much better conditions albeit it’s an older hotel. My poor friend feels bad because we were ranting and raving about the facilities and all, she was the one who booked us there. We assured her that it’s not her fault because we expected from the hotel based on the rates we paid for.

When we got in our room, we found out that they gave only one set of toiletries, so we called the front desk to request for an additional. After a few minutes, we heard a knock on the door and I went up to open it, expecting that it’s the room service person. What I didn’t expect is that I would change my whole impression of the hotel totally when I opened that door.

I met at the door this room service guy and I immediately told him that we only got one set of toiletries and we need another one. He was motioning so fast with his hand that I didn’t understand him at first. Then he slowly touched his lips and motioned that he cannot talk. That jolted me and stopped me in the middle of my sentence, I ran back inside the room and grabbed the toiletries pack to show him that we needed one more. Then he smiled and motioned that he understood and I assumed he will get another pack for us.

When I got back to the bed, I told my friend, for whatever that this hotel lacks in terms of amenities and facilities, I forgive them. This hotel has restored my faith that there are people or establishments who gives chances to physically challenged individuals and I salute them for it. It hits so close to home because we have family/relatives who are challenged individuals and are still being challenged until now and my hope and fervent prayer is that they’d be given the chances so they can prove their worth.

I just feel bad that I wasn’t able to get the name of the guy so I can properly give credit to him on this blog. I wish him well and I hope he’d do well in his job and that he would climb the ladder of success to prove that he has accepted and embraced his challenges. And to this hotel, may your tribe/branches increase, thank you.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Reena R
Philip O, General Manager at CBD Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful pleasant and positive review. We apologize for not informing our guests about our employees who are challenged. However, we want to thank you so much for writing about your experience with our challenged employees, and we want to assure you that we are doing our best to improve our services. We also take pride in ensuring that every person, challenged or not, will have an opportunity to apply and work at our hotel. We certainly wish that we will see you again on your next visit!

There are newer reviews for CBD Plaza Hotel

Reviewed June 6, 2013

The hotel's main selling point is its location, which sits right across Naga City Bus Terminal and is walking distance from SM, but be forewarned that staff is unfriendly and the breakfast is bad.
Upon check in, front desk staff offered no greeting or welcome smile. The room was clean, decent and comfortable. Breakfast is supposed to start at 6am, but during our stay, breakfast was still not ready at 645am. Mind you, the restaurant staff offered NO explanation to a roomful of waiting and hungry customers. Food was bland and we noticed many of the other patrons didnt finish their breakfast either. This hotel is a sad contrast to the beauty and hospitality the people of Naga City. I will not return to this hotel and will definitely not recommend it to friends/family. A new hotel just opened just beside the bus terminal, will probably stay there next time.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TayNayNak
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Location-wise, I believe I got a great deal. I took a bus going there and it is located just across the Central Bus Terminal. It is also very near SM Naga where I had to work for 3 days. There is also 7-11 at the hotel building so that was great. Jeepneys, taxis and tricycles are conveniently present in front of the hotel. Hands down to the location!

The downsides:
1)NO wifi! You have to pay for it. Good thing I have an unlimited data plan but what about the others.
2)Complimentary breakfast was nothing to rave about definitely. My room was for P2,000/night and I expected something better. I stayed for 3 nights.
3)No refrigerator in my room also.
4)Also, no cabinet to put in my things.
5)And no power outlet near your bedside, it was located beside the dresser at the foot of the bed.
6)Flooring of my shower area was not so squeaky clean..there was sort of a big yellowish stain on it.

Would I stay here again? I guess so! Their location is perfect. Staff were courteous enough and the complimentary service going to and from the airport is good. I just hope they improve the facilities and amenities.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Lovelee T
Reviewed May 9, 2013

The hotel was not kempt. The breakfast was worst, you are just allowed to get a rice, small amount of plain omelet and a piece of hotdog, although it was posted on the table that you are only entitled for a combo meal. The place was excellent, it is located in front of a bus terminal and SM. On the ground level there is a restaurant that offers buffet for around 160 pesos only and a 7-11 convenient store.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jude Thaddeus G
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This was my 3rd time to stay at this hotel. I chose it because of its location. It is conviniently located near SM, Naga Terminal is just across the street and the van station is just in front of SM Naga. And the tricycles, they have stations in front of the Naga Terminal so you can easily take a ride going to churches, restaurants and market place.

As for the room, the room is small and I wish they add cabinets, As for the free breakfast, you can forget about it, there's a lot of fine fast foods and restaurants in the town proper.

Room Tip: Forget about the free breakfast, there's alot of good fastfoods / restaurants in the city proper...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ArielPablo
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This was my 5th time to stay at this hotel. The very first time i stayed, it was still new then and SM Naga had just opened. The rooms were clean and the staff were pleasant and helpful. Over the years, they added a new wing (never tried the rooms there) but the rooms in the original building have deteriorated. On each succeeding visit, the rooms have gotten from just dirty to filty. The bathrooms are worse with mold and mildew and a damp smell. The linens are gray and need replacing. You can only wash linens so many times before they become frayed and worn. I only tried the free breakfast once and never tried it again as it was really bad. These days, the ladies at reception won't even tell you that the room comes with breakfast and you have to make sure to tell them that you would like to avail of the free shuttle to the airport because they won't tell you and there are no signs anywhere in the lobby that lets guests know that there is such a service. The only thing they have going for them is location. Walking distance to the bus and van terminals and a couple of blocks to SM Naga. I wish there other "newer" hotels in Naga closer to the city center.

Room Tip: there are no good rooms. ask for a room not facing the street to avoid the noise.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank JEmmanuelLasPinas
Reviewed March 16, 2013

It's my 3rd time to stay at cbd. I was so disappointed and nothing had changed since my last check in. On my 2nd visit I complained about how dirty under my bed and looks like it had never been swept or cleaned for weeks. Receptionist don't know how to smile. After checking in, help yourself to carry your bags and find your room.

My 3rd stay was a nightmare.  I found some things left by the last guest.  I slept on the bedding with blood stains which I was unable to see because it was covered by my blanket. Tissue paper was never replaced and again the dirtiest part of my room is under my bed.

No free Internet access you have to buy the super slow connection card.  My phone data is much faster than the hotel's Internet.

Food? Don't bother. Go somewhere else.

Room Tip: I'll rather not recommend this hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business