“Naga's Secret Treasure”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Naga
Vancouver, Canada
“Naga's Secret Treasure”
Reviewed February 27, 2011

On a recent reunion with university classmates, the choice of Naga City as a destination proved puzzling at first but since it was a once-in-a-lifetime chance to get together, I went along with the plan. What a pleasant surprise it turned out to be when we arrived at our hotel to find such amazing accomodations at Avenue Plaza. It was as if we checked into one of Makati's 5- star hotels! Who would have guessed that Naga City contained such a treasure! The staff was courteous and always ready to help with a smile. Breakfast and dinner at their restaurant was always topnotch. They even offered to pack our leftovers in their freezer so we could take it home the following day! Our rooms were always cleaned soon after we left it in the morning (considering there was a big convention happening at the same time, this would have required good organizational planning on the Housekeeping staff). I cannot say enough how impressed I was with the hotel and its staff. Kudos to Mr Allan Cu and his employees for a job well done. Coming from North America, I will definitely recommend this facility to my friends should they be visiting Naga in the near future. And should I return to Naga, this hotel will definitely be where I will stay.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank banting1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
UK
Reviewed February 23, 2011

Just found it VERY nice indeed and staff very helpful. We only had the one night there but felt so refreshed and relaxed that we wanted to stay longer.it looked like more of a business hotel than a holiday hotel but we arent complaining. Nice piped music throughout the reception area and pool area (outdoor). All very clean and bed was so cozy and everything very clean. Breakfast maybe could have been a bit more varied and would have been nice to get some real orange juice and see some fruit!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Martyn John C
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed February 2, 2011

My friends and I stayed at the Avenue Plaza at the end of January 2011. Everything about it is a pleasant surprise. Very much unexpected in a small town. The lobby is very modern, nicely decorated and very inviting. The dining room, the pool, the business center, the fitness center, the food and the service are all very comparable to a big city hotel. Really excellent. The best surprise of all was the room! As we opened the doors to the rooms, the first word we uttered was "Wow!". Totally unexpected. Very clean and very cosmopolitan. And of course, the staff are all very friendly and all about customer-service. I've already recommended the hotel to family and friends. I would go back again anytime.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank mpedhsu
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed January 3, 2011

Together with my mother, brother and sister, we stayed in this small, but wonderful, hotel in Naga City.

For my review, the following are notables in our stay:

My siblings and I are always on the look out for a 5 star rating hotel and this one indeed passed our standards.

The guest rooms are comfortable which exceeded our expectations. It is not the usual hotel that has that certain smell. The guest rooms are clean and spacious. The bathrooms are really clean and updated. However, I did not find a bath mat inside our bathroom which I think they just missed to put one. The price is expensive compared to other hotels nearby but considering the amenities and cleanliness of this hotel, the price was worth it.

The hotel gave us easy access to the religious tourist spots (OUR LADY OF PENAFRANCIA and PENAFRANCIA BASILICA) as these are only walking distance from the hotel. In front of the hotel is a small commercial center that allows guests to have easy access to drugstore and a couple of restaurants just incase the guests needed something emergency or do not want to eat inside the hotel.

However, there are notable elements that needed to be improved or should be taken into consideration of guest/s that has an intention to stay here. While the hotel is near our intended itineraries, it is far from what they call Metro Naga. Metro Naga is where the commercial establishments are. Taxis are only available if requested by the hotel guests but tricycles are available anytime. There is a taxi company, PRIMELUCK, who outsourced the coach service of the hotel that accepts site seeing contract depending on your need. The driver can be the tourist guide/driver and the car will be all yours for the day. The price varies depending on the itinerary of the guest.

Lastly, we were satisfied with the service except for one incident. We were charged of two (2) sets of breakfast when in fact one (1) set should have been complimentary. It was a good thing my brother reviewed the bill that they adjusted the bill to reflect the correct billing. But all in all, this hotel is great. I had a good sleep.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Tubby_Traveler
Asia
Reviewed December 31, 2010

From the moment we checked in yesterday this has been a total disaster.

1. We had booked a one night stay a week in advance online - two days before arrival we emailed saying we'd arrive a day early and ask them to hold a room - they did not reply to this email

2. So we arrive yesterday at 4pm. Front desk says they have only one room available - two beds. We are not overly pleased but as there was no choice we agree to take the room.

3. Upon opening the door of the non-smoking room (the bell boy told us the entire hotel is non-smoking) we were greeted by an overwhelming stench of stale cigarette smoke.

Their solution? To send someone up up with a bottle of air freshener - he started to spray the room - I told the bell boy that this was an unacceptable solution - we will find another hotel as this was the only room.

4. Lo and behold after making this comment the front desk magically finds another room for us on the 5th floor - this one has a king bed and there is no smoke problem

5. However when we settle in we find the wireless internet does not work. I call the front desk and inform them. 20 minutes later no reply and no internet. I call again.... they say they will check it... 15 minutes no internet and no response... 10 minutes later I call the desk 4x and it rings and rings - no answer. So I go down and get million excuses including "the weather is the problem" Which is a lie because the wifi in the lobby is working.

6. After having a word with the duty manager I go back to the room and wait for a solution - they send me a 3G toggle which works for about 5 minutes then apparently runs out of credit. The bell boy asks if I would like to try another room - they apparently have had problems with the wifi on 5 so maybe I might want to try a room on the second floor... DUH!!!!... if they knew wifi was a problem on the 5th floor why put me there (when I checked I specifically told them I need internet and asked for a pw).

7. Oh... and yes of course there was only ONE room in the entire hotel... I asked the bell boy how full the hotel was and he said "about 50%"... When I questioned the front desk why they told me there was only one room they said when we checked in that was all they had. Clearly a lie. I asked her what time check out was. She said noon. I checked in a 4pm....

8. So finally, after all this nonsense we were into a room with internet... if anyone had any brains they would have put us in a proper room with internet access from the get go.

9. Breakfast... comprised of powdered eggs... bad coffee... fried fish and some other slop... white bread... I'd rather eat dog food. I was able to request a couple of bananas from the kitchen.

10. I have no idea what the level of service is at other hotels in Naga but given the lies and absolutely horrible service I received at the plaza, I STRONGLY suggest that anyone staying in this city consider one of the many other alternatives - all of which are lower in price. This hotel is terrible value for money all things considered.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Inukshukasia
likewaw, Public Relations Manager at The Avenue Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2011
We assure you that your comments will be taken into consideration as strive to deliver world class accommodation and service for our guest’s satisfaction.

Avenue Plaza Hotel is happy to share that it already took action to make sure that we let our guests experience a good life.

1. Hassle Free Booking : You can now check rates and reserve a room online on its website with an instant confirmation. No need to wait, book the room and it's guaranteed!

2. Newly improved Wi-Fi services: We are now using Cisco network and wi-fi signal won't be a problem. You can connect to the internet and browse all your favorite sites while enjoying the comforts of your room.

3. Distinguished Chefs at your service: All the foods that we serve are well prepared by our in-house chefs. We do not serve ready to eat meals to our guests. Rest assured that your food is a labor of love, with a sprinkle of magic from our Chef's hands.

4. Be heard. Be seen. Tell us what's your concern and we'll act on it : We are active in Facebook and Twitter. You can post your comments and send us your feedbacks. Give us a review on TripAdvisor. We value your voice. We take actions.

These are just few of the reasons why our guests love their stay at the Avenue Plaza Hotel.
Visit us again and we'll amaze you with warm Filipino and Bicolano hospitality!
Paranaque, Philippines
Reviewed November 22, 2010

It was my 2nd stay in Avenue Plaza Hotel, and I must say they have not failed to impress me once more.

I would say that it is really a mini version of a 5-Star Hotel. I say this since the room appointments and size is comparable to the other 5 star hotels I've stayed in.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KarlWetterman
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed November 13, 2010

Avenue plaza is a wonderful hidden gem that we came across by accident. We had a choice between Avenue and Villa Caceres Hotel. We were happy we decided on Avenue. When we checked in, we were greeted with ice cool lemonade and the staff was very friendly.

We decided on the deluxe room for about $75 a night which included a buffet breakfast. The room was excellent, clean, and spacious. The bed was very cozy and relaxing. My wife loved the bed and instantly feel asleep. The only negative rating I had, concerns the bath towels. They appear to be old and I wish the staff could replace them with brand new snowy white towels.

The Avenue Plaza is centrally located across the street from many restaurants (starbucks, shakey's pizza, Max chicken, among many others). For a comparison on our other hotel review, this hotel rated better than our stay at the Dusit Hotel in Manila.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank kdsedward
Also consider these accommodations in or near Naga
NagaLand Hotel
#7 of 11 in Naga
Tugawe Cove Resort
Tugawe Cove Resort
#1 of 1 in Caramoan

Been to The Avenue Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!