“Excellent location”

Ranked #27 of 35 Legazpi B&B and Inns
Calamba, Philippines
“Excellent location”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

At Embarcadero de Legazpi (Mall), along the waterfront of the provincial capital of Albay, you can get a good view of the famous perfect cone Mayon Volcano, with a partial view of the city landscape and the Albay Gulf. It is at the heart of the city and accessible by public vehicles like taxi, jeepney, and tricycle. Embarcadero also provides free shuttle to downtown Legazpi via electric jeepney. For guests coming in by plane, Ellis Ecotel likewise provides free shuttle to and from the airport, which is just about twenty minutes away.
Standard room where I stayed is just right if a good night’s sleep is all you need. It has a great interior design. The creative use of mirrors and glass project an impression of space, which also complements the dominantly white color. Open shelves further enhance the illusion of space and depth. They have well-kept bed linens. You will miss the view of the Mayon from my room, The rooms at the loft offer a better view of the volcano.
It’s a bed-breakfast rate. They’ll take off a few pesos from your room rate if you prefer to eat your breakfast somewhere else. They prepare plated breakfast, where you have no choice. Buffet breakfast is also available on some days. Good food stalls are available at the ground floor of Embarcadaro. For those new in town, you can try Bigg’s or Cysid (pronounced seaside).
Massage service is also available up to 9:00 pm. Be sure to book your massage session much earlier, if you want it past 9:00 p.m. Thei boulevard right along the beachfront is just right for those who love early morning jogging or just walking to enjoy the sight of Mayon volcano and feel the cool morning breeze.
The coffee shop-level floor is not for you if you’re a light sleeper and your neighbors happen to stay up late talking or doing something else that would keep your ears open. The wooden walls let you hear the voices and other sounds from the adjacent rooms. I hope there’s some acoustic solutions for this.
The elevator was not working at that time. Escalator to second floor was likewise out of order. Not to bad for a light traveler. Also needs more “easy-to-see” directional signs from the ground floor up. Overall, I find it economical and strategically located.

Room Tip: If you're in town for a good view of Mayon, ask for the seaside and loft rooms.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank islandcrafts69

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cavite
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We traveled as a group and and we chose Ecotel because of its location. Indeed, the place is very strategic and close to Mayon Volcano view. However, I was very disappointed because the hotel elevator was not working during my ENTIRE stay even with my follow-ups with the hotel staff. It seemed like they had no plan to do something about it. Days after, upon check out, they did not honor my supposedly "promotions on credit card" because I did not present my card upon check-in. They also did not honor my other group's senior citizen card on the same reason!

Room Tip: Upon check-in verify the current promotions and how to avail it. Also ask if all their facilities ar...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ruwenv

Travelers are raving about these Legazpi hotels

Muntinlupa, Philippines
Reviewed November 17, 2013

The rooms are small and no-frills. It is a budget hotel, and I am reviewing it as such.

I traveled with a group of photography hobbyists with Mayon Volcano as our main subject in Legazpi. Nothing beats Embarcadero, a shopping complex where Ellis Ecotel is located. A short walk took us to the breakwater where we did some night photography, and then woke up early to catch Mayon in its full glory at 530am. At around 7am, this majestic mountain becomes almost invisible due to thick cloud covers.

The room I got had a glass window with a partial view of the harbor and the volcano. It is a premium room in this budget hotel - - other rooms don't even have windows.

This is a good enough room for travelers who stay out most of the day. It is a welcoming, comfortable room for a good night's sleep. The bathroom is small but clean, and has hot and cold water.

Just like most budget hotels, there is no bottled water in the room and one has to order and pay for water. Breakfast is free and is billed as "buffet". However, the fare is very limited. Egg, steamed vegies, and fish on our first day. On the second day, no fish but tocino. I am not complaining, I had expected a simple breakfast to go with the budget hotel rates.

On check out, I reported to the front desk that the my desk gets wet due to the dripping split-type air conditioning. And oh, when we stayed the elevator doesn't work and we had to enter thru the mall's escalators. After two days, the elevator was still not working. Doesn't look like it is being fixed.

In sum, Ellis Ecotel is a very good value hotel. I can recommend this for travelers who are not fuzzy and are looking for good value. Nice and clean and cheap, that is a steal.

For those who want a rated hotel, St Ellis Hotel (the owners of the budget Ellis Ecotel) is about two blocks away.

Room Tip: If you are claustrophobic, specify a room with a window - - but you will have to pay a premium.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Angelito P
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Stayed in a 2 bed loft for two nights. This ecotel offers all the basic neccesities one could need. Sheets, pillow cases, towels were fresh. The room and bathroom were clean too. The loft that we got has a very nice view of Mayon, which I really liked. It's also near restos and supermarkets. Commuting won't be a problem in this area.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank heyanny
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

Upon entering this Hotel;I was surprised by the Room Rates,considering such a modern Hotel.Only a couple of drawbacks;Ihad to request a towel+once over the 3 days iI stayed here ;reception asked me if ?iI wanted my room cleaned; then never carried out the exercise even once over the three days!?.Overall I' think this is a very good Hotel to stay at ,at a reasonable price .The staff all are friendly enough!.

• Stayed September 2013
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed October 1, 2013

The Eco (presumably short for economy) was spot on.

Whilst it’s cheaper than some of Legaspi finer choices (such as Hotel St Ellis, which to my surprise is associated to this hotel), the difference in price wasn't as great as the difference in class (which is a word I see a previous reviewer has used in the positive sense, head scratcher that one! but hey, it takes all sorts).

You get an escalator up to the hotel (it’s a 1 floor hotel set on the 3rd floor, above the mall etc below).

On check in I had to at least attempt to reason with the member of staff in respect to my airport transfer (included in the hotel charge) for the following day. Having told me the journey was 10 to 15 mins (hotel to airport) and having advised him I was flying at 10.35am, he told me the shuttle would therefore take me at 0830. I tried to explain the situation to him (he had clearly never flown in the Philippines before, I advised him there was no need to arrive anymore than 1hr before the flight on the basis it was 99.9% guaranteed to be late - though if you're not there 45mins before you risk being refused check in). But he was working from the management directory ('but sir it says here'). He then suggested he would change the timing to 0930.

I gave up and told him to forget the free shuttle and order me a taxi (P150) for 9.15am.

I was asked to pay on check in (never a good thing in a hotel in my humble opinion, though not limited to this hotel).

The room (2 single beds, not ideal) was small, basic, had no open windows, and the walls seemed paper thin (or the chap next door was just a real noisy so and so). The AC was fine, though blowing directly onto one of the beds, so I slept in the other one and managed to avoid waking with a sore throat/etc.

And it soon became apparent the cleaners were rather lax. On moving the bed a matter of centimetres the mess appeared (probably swept under by said cleaners) and I was appalled to walk into the toilet to see 2 rather large (i.e. impossible to miss) yellow pee stains on the toilet seat. Nice touch!

The flat screen TV was the stand out point of the room.

I personally found the mall downstairs to be rubbish, only 2 or 3 eating establishments, and all lower end (Inasal, Biggs burgers etc). There was a supermarket, but of no use to me. As such I got a trike elsewhere.

I awoke to noise, and lots of it. When I left my room I found the reception/waiting area frequented by around 20 or more chattering school children. Splendid.

The breakfast was pretty shocking, and I've experienced some pretty shocking breakfast offerings in my time. The 2 members of staff 'running' breakfast seemed to be a combination of idiots, or just lads who didn't give a damn, paying more attention to the stereo than the breakfast and/or the guests.

The coffee (from a large container) was quite clearly Nescafe (not personally a fan of instant) and the only cold drink option was ice tea, no juices.

The food was lacking in quantity, quality and warmth. I asked if there would be anymore and was smiled at, which was helpful. I repeated the question to another member of staff some moments later and was given the traditional 'yes sir'.

My hunger led me to endure what there was (cold wet slices of bread and cold omelette pieces) and then to my surprise (not) 'fresh' supplies were brought in about 5 mins after I'd finished. You have to laugh (honestly you do).

I'm not a fussy traveller, but wouldn't recommend this to anyone based on the amount of issues listed herewith. Poor staffing (but smiling naturally), poor attention to detail, resulting in a 5 out of 10.

Room Tip: My room overlooked the port, and there was an open air restaurant/bar directly below, with the old f...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Derbal
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Price is average. Rooms are small. But these are all compensated by its location, service and overall ambiance. Hotel is located inside Embarcadero, an establishment hubs along seaside. Below are different restaurants mostly offering seafoods. Also there is a mini mall, drugstore, event centers and supermarket. Convenient indeed! Price stays average despite of that. Rooms are just plain but you know sleeping would be a great experience with its clean "feel". There are also sports activities nearby, a scenic view of Mayon and seaside.

Room Tip: Going in and out of embarcadero leaves you no choice but tricycle, if you have no car with you. Tric...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo