“Perfect Volcano”
Review of Mayon Volcano

Mayon Volcano
Ranked #1 of 27 things to do in Legazpi
Reviewed May 18, 2013

That's what they call it and it looks great! You can see it from all over Legaspi, especially from the airport. I highly recommend going up the hill to the park where you enjoy a superb view. Sometimes there are no clouds, so take pictures at that time because it's relatively rare.

2  Thank zmanCalifornia

Reviewed May 11, 2013

We passed on the trek to the summit in favor of an alternate trip to see whale sharks and other provinces, but glad we did. Mt. Mayon exploded the day we were supposed to be hiking up to the summit and it had killed 4 people. This is unfortunate, but don't let it discourage you from visiting. Remember, this is an ACTIVE volcano! Don't bother with the ATV excursion as it only brings you to the base.

1  Thank SeaducedByTheSea
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I just came to Legaspi to see this beautiful mountain - and I was not led down. It is really perfectly shaped, I could sit there, and just watch the mountains passing by for hours.

Its true natural beauty - and well worth a visit when in Bicol.

1  Thank MySunnyDays1
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Fellow travelers said there were good views from the top, but not a hike for tourists. Very dangerous, no safety equipment provided. Constant landslides, large rocks rolling down mountain face. A few days after I left, five people died in an explosion, as pressurized steam released from the volcano caused a landslide.

I did not climb it myself.

1  Thank jalanathon
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Our company arranged an ATV (All Terrain Vehicle) Adventure to Mayon last week( a few days before the eruption). We were about 50 people, and started our adventure from the Casagawa Ruins, where the ATV office is located. The tour we chose was the Green Lava adventure which bring you up 2500 feet, about 1/3 of the way up to Mt Mayon. I highly recommend it for families, company outings, and adventure seeking individuals. A lot of our colleagues enjoyed the adventure, and choosing the Green Lava tour was better than the standard one which does not bring you near the peak of Mayon. Prepare to face the dust, and dirt along the way. Wear long sleeved shirts to protect your arms, and place lots of sunblock. Start very early (6AM or earlier) and have your ATV orientation the day before to save time. The view from the top is magnificent, and gives great photo opportunities near Mayon and surrounding Albay province. If you are a big group you can negotiate for a better rate which can go as much as 20-40% discount. Lastly, I recommend you take the bigger ATVs (2 or 3 seater), because they are more powerful going up the mountain and less prone to breakdown. The single seat ATV are less reliable, and you should insist they have a backup ATV with your group in case one fails.

Enjoy your adventure!