“Good service, nice ambiance but place getting old.”

Discovery Country Suites
Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Tagaytay
Reviewed March 7, 2011

Price:
I got a 35% off deal with a groupon site so I was able to stay in this pricey boutique hotel (I really won't pay 10k a night standard rate). I just stayed overnight with hubby.

Service:
The service was great. Prompt, courteous, friendly. The staff always asked how else they can help.

Room:
We stayed in Ceylon - the smallest room. Pros are the main entrance is separated from the building so complete privacy. Cons: it was a LOT smaller than the other rooms, felt a bit claustrophobic and the bathroom has some rust spots inside the shower area.

There was also a brown outlet plug for things you had to plug but it was the type straight from a hardware store and was just jutting out of the table. The LAN connection inside the room didn't work, even after someone came in to fix it.

These are just petty reasons but I couldn't sleep well. Piped in music was softly playing outside the room the whole night and the comforter was too thick. I should have called to get a thin blanket and for them to shut the music.

Food:
WIFI in Verbena the resto was fast. Had the wine and cheese buffet. The wine was strong and okay but was of the P200 variety (I think). For breakfast, you can choose from the menu. There was a bread buffet as well. Oh yeah, there were cookies and warm milk sent to the room at 7 pm.

Others:
The bottom floor common room was musty at all times of the day. The jacuzzi was warm but had some dead insects. Didn't try it though bec the air was too chilly.

I wouldn't go back again - even at a % off. The service was great but there are other newer hotels in Tagaytay which I would rather try first.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank appleManila

Reviewed February 12, 2011

This hotel will always be dear to my heart... as this is where I got engaged!

My fiance connived with the staff to set up our room with rose petals, candles - the works - while we were out for dinner - all planned ahead. There was even a free chocolate cake slice with our names on the plate and cute hearts (spelled out using chocolate syrup) - all of these on the house! I was speechless as I entered the room , turned around, and saw my then-boyfriend go down on one knee holding a box with a shiny diamond ring. It was sooo romantic - a perfect night - still makes me smile as I think back on it.

I love the hotel staff ! They were so warm and friendly and helpful in every possible way. They even gave us a quick tour of the other available rooms when we asked. There's free wine and cheese cocktails in late afternoon - which I really enjoyed since I love cheese.

There's a nice jacuzzi outside but we didnt get to use it anymore.

Hotel room was really really lovely. We stayed in the Narra room. I love the room so much that it serves as my inspiration (to date) in planning out our would-be couples' room after we get married.

I would love to return to this hotel in the future - but have to save up for it :) It is indeed a little bit pricey , but definitely very worth it.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vanilla-ivory
Reviewed January 7, 2011

We were going to attend a wedding in Tagaytay and wanted to relax at the same time so we chose Discovery Country Suites based on reviews. We booked the Ceylon room for one night.
On the day itself, we headed to Tagaytay and had lunch. After lunch we went to Discovery to check-in, but it was a little early. We asked if there was any way they could allow us to check-in early, as we still had to dress up for the wedding. They told us the room was not ready, so they were moving us to the Nantucket room. We were surprised because this was a better room!
The room was clean, spacious, and had a view of the lake.
We went out for the wedding, so we missed the wine and cheese in the afternoon. We got back late and found cookies waiting for us. Apparently the cookies were good, as my husband did not leave any for me. The bed was comfortable and I loved the sheets.
Breakfast the next morning was very delicious! Will definitely go back!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lightning07
Reviewed September 6, 2010

Weekend travel to Tagaytay on a Sunday is always best since you avoid the traffic which usually builds up on Saturdays. DCS is on the left side of the road coming from the Santa Rosa route, a few hundred meters after the turn and before reaching Estancia. It's a quaint B&B, easy to miss if you're driving fast.

After pineapple and mint drinks given to us at the reception area, we were escorted to our room. We stayed in the Nantucket room. Very roomy sInce this room has one king- and one queen-sized bed, and our own veranda overlooking the ridge and the jacuzzi in the garden area below. A few minutes after, the desk manager and some of the staff rang our bell and presented my husband with a slice of cake with "Belated Happy Birthday!" in chocolate syrup on the plate. The desk manager explained that they saw from our registration card that it was my husband's birthday a couple of days ago. They even offered to sing, but my husband said it wasn't necessary. What a sweet surprise. =)

Anyway, the room was big, with a sofa and coffeetable where the welcome fruit basket was, a big flatscreen TV with tagaytay cable channels, dvd player, desk, and refrigerator. The usual bathroom amenities were there, as well as fresh robes in the closet. Weather was warm (such a disappointment), but we enjoyed the AC-cooled room and the soft comforters and big pillows so much that we went right to sleep. Rooms here are better than Taal Vista.

We got up for the wine and cheese at 5 o'clock. White wine for him, and the waiter offered fresh fruit juice for me since I'm very obviously pregnant. Six cheese varieties, candied fruit, fresh grapes and bread sticks accompanied our drinks. Not too filling, which was good since we didn't want to splurge too much before dinner.

The milk and cookies were brought to our room early, around 7:30pm, before we left the hotel for dinner at Josephine's. I thoroughly enjoyed my almond sugar cookie, and even though I don't drink milk, the milk smelled really inviting. It had a distinct aroma to it unlike regular milk. I was even tempted to take a small sip, and my hubby had two cups of it before we left for dinner.

Breakfast the following day was as good as could be expected from the raves found in the internet reviews, and the weather was much better with a cool breeze blowing into the veranda of Verbena. We ordered the Verbena Country Plate and Italian Sausage, and we shared so we could taste everything. Portions are not very big, which was why it was good that they served the fruits (mango, watermelon and orange slices and grapes) and bread (blueberry danish, pineapple danish, banana loaf slice, white and brown bread slices with coco jam, marmalade and butter on the side) first to tide us over. We appreciated the tasty breakfast, but if you're the type that enjoys a breakfast buffet more, Taal Vista's breakfast buffet is way more filling.

Overall, we really got our money's worth and enjoyed our much-craved for R&R. Staff are very attentive and polite without being intruding, and it's the perfect place to stay if you want to avoid crowded hotels. We've stayed in Taal Vista and the T-house, and we both agreed that this is our best Tagaytay overnight so far.

Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank im0206
Reviewed August 30, 2010

better than most lodgings in tagaytay but be ready to pay the price.
hotel in need of renovation for the price they're charging. overall nice stay, would still recommend for an overnight getaway.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank poshluxe u
Reviewed May 30, 2010

If you want to be pampered, then head on to the Discovery Country Inn at Tagaytay. From fresh pineapple/mint drinks at check-in to wine and cheese tasting at midafternoon and then cookies and warm milk at bedtime, pampering is what you get during your stay at the Inn. That is what the Country Inn staff say is their goal: to pamper the guests. And pamper, they do: cold water bottles as you leave to tour Tagaytay, cold compress towels upon your arrival from riding around in the heat and Turkish towels that appear, without request, when the Jacuzzi is used. If that is not enough, your taste buds are indulged with delicious meals prepared by Chef David such as Roasted Prawns and Scallops with Carrot Risotto and Cumin Cream, Pan Roasted Seafood and the complimentary dessert of panna cotta. The Siam room was spacious enough to hold four of us, the beds comfortable and the amenities, indulgent!! Having said that, there were still some mild discomforts that the Inn needs to address: overly scented bed linen which for those who are allergic to perfumes may find distressingly uncomfortable (bleach smelling pillowcases and bed sheets would have been preferable); and no bathmats or handrails in the shower to prevent any falls from the wet shower floor tiles. Rest assured that those did not detract from a wonderful, relaxing stay at the Inn. What a treat!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank abelardocox
Reviewed April 2, 2010

Me and my family rented two rooms, I stayed in Ceylon room with my wife, it is cheaper compared to where my family's room, Nantucket is, which is bigger in floor area and located on the upper ground. Ceylon is located on the lower ground where the garden and whirl pool are located.

Service was good, no doubt about it. Staffs are very accommodating and nice to their guests. Discovery Suite has only seven rooms, staffs are limited and carries multiple jobs. Overall they are able to attend to the clients.

Location is good. It is accessible to different hot spots in Tagaytay. The hotel amenities are different from the other hotels. The hotel offers cheese and wine tasting during the afternoon, and some warm milk with cookies at night. They have fruits, and some tea, but there wasn't any water heater in the room. I find it strange, I'm not used to it, and how would i make tea without a heater.

My family had a better room, the room I got isn't as good as I expected. Mainly it lack maintenance. As for cleanliness, I guarantee it's clean. Here are some of my complains:
1. The television needs a new remote, the + and - button for the remote is really hard.
2. We have a remote for a DVD player, and there aren't any player in the room. I don't plan to use it anyway.
3. The closet light is close from being busted and it keeps on flickering
4. The sink takes time before it fully drains.
5. I need to hold the toilet cover when I pee, it keeps falling down.
6. Some wiring in the room are poorly made.
7. It takes time before the shower warms up. I takes more than a couple of minutes before it gets warm, plus there was no indicator where hot water is. If you're not used to it you wouldn't know which side to swing to make it warm or cold.

I did manage to hang around in the other room, Nantucket. The experience would be different, it was way better than the room we had. As for sleeping no problem about it. Bed suits me.

The great thing about this hotel would be the food. Food is great, no question about it. People go to dine here.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family