“very relaxing and enjoyable stay”

Discovery Country Suites
Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Tagaytay
Tokyo, Japan
“very relaxing and enjoyable stay”
Reviewed January 7, 2011

We were going to attend a wedding in Tagaytay and wanted to relax at the same time so we chose Discovery Country Suites based on reviews. We booked the Ceylon room for one night.
On the day itself, we headed to Tagaytay and had lunch. After lunch we went to Discovery to check-in, but it was a little early. We asked if there was any way they could allow us to check-in early, as we still had to dress up for the wedding. They told us the room was not ready, so they were moving us to the Nantucket room. We were surprised because this was a better room!
The room was clean, spacious, and had a view of the lake.
We went out for the wedding, so we missed the wine and cheese in the afternoon. We got back late and found cookies waiting for us. Apparently the cookies were good, as my husband did not leave any for me. The bed was comfortable and I loved the sheets.
Breakfast the next morning was very delicious! Will definitely go back!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lightning07

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed September 6, 2010

Weekend travel to Tagaytay on a Sunday is always best since you avoid the traffic which usually builds up on Saturdays. DCS is on the left side of the road coming from the Santa Rosa route, a few hundred meters after the turn and before reaching Estancia. It's a quaint B&B, easy to miss if you're driving fast.

After pineapple and mint drinks given to us at the reception area, we were escorted to our room. We stayed in the Nantucket room. Very roomy sInce this room has one king- and one queen-sized bed, and our own veranda overlooking the ridge and the jacuzzi in the garden area below. A few minutes after, the desk manager and some of the staff rang our bell and presented my husband with a slice of cake with "Belated Happy Birthday!" in chocolate syrup on the plate. The desk manager explained that they saw from our registration card that it was my husband's birthday a couple of days ago. They even offered to sing, but my husband said it wasn't necessary. What a sweet surprise. =)

Anyway, the room was big, with a sofa and coffeetable where the welcome fruit basket was, a big flatscreen TV with tagaytay cable channels, dvd player, desk, and refrigerator. The usual bathroom amenities were there, as well as fresh robes in the closet. Weather was warm (such a disappointment), but we enjoyed the AC-cooled room and the soft comforters and big pillows so much that we went right to sleep. Rooms here are better than Taal Vista.

We got up for the wine and cheese at 5 o'clock. White wine for him, and the waiter offered fresh fruit juice for me since I'm very obviously pregnant. Six cheese varieties, candied fruit, fresh grapes and bread sticks accompanied our drinks. Not too filling, which was good since we didn't want to splurge too much before dinner.

The milk and cookies were brought to our room early, around 7:30pm, before we left the hotel for dinner at Josephine's. I thoroughly enjoyed my almond sugar cookie, and even though I don't drink milk, the milk smelled really inviting. It had a distinct aroma to it unlike regular milk. I was even tempted to take a small sip, and my hubby had two cups of it before we left for dinner.

Breakfast the following day was as good as could be expected from the raves found in the internet reviews, and the weather was much better with a cool breeze blowing into the veranda of Verbena. We ordered the Verbena Country Plate and Italian Sausage, and we shared so we could taste everything. Portions are not very big, which was why it was good that they served the fruits (mango, watermelon and orange slices and grapes) and bread (blueberry danish, pineapple danish, banana loaf slice, white and brown bread slices with coco jam, marmalade and butter on the side) first to tide us over. We appreciated the tasty breakfast, but if you're the type that enjoys a breakfast buffet more, Taal Vista's breakfast buffet is way more filling.

Overall, we really got our money's worth and enjoyed our much-craved for R&R. Staff are very attentive and polite without being intruding, and it's the perfect place to stay if you want to avoid crowded hotels. We've stayed in Taal Vista and the T-house, and we both agreed that this is our best Tagaytay overnight so far.

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank im0206
Maryland
Reviewed August 30, 2010

better than most lodgings in tagaytay but be ready to pay the price.
hotel in need of renovation for the price they're charging. overall nice stay, would still recommend for an overnight getaway.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank poshluxe u
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 30, 2010

If you want to be pampered, then head on to the Discovery Country Inn at Tagaytay. From fresh pineapple/mint drinks at check-in to wine and cheese tasting at midafternoon and then cookies and warm milk at bedtime, pampering is what you get during your stay at the Inn. That is what the Country Inn staff say is their goal: to pamper the guests. And pamper, they do: cold water bottles as you leave to tour Tagaytay, cold compress towels upon your arrival from riding around in the heat and Turkish towels that appear, without request, when the Jacuzzi is used. If that is not enough, your taste buds are indulged with delicious meals prepared by Chef David such as Roasted Prawns and Scallops with Carrot Risotto and Cumin Cream, Pan Roasted Seafood and the complimentary dessert of panna cotta. The Siam room was spacious enough to hold four of us, the beds comfortable and the amenities, indulgent!! Having said that, there were still some mild discomforts that the Inn needs to address: overly scented bed linen which for those who are allergic to perfumes may find distressingly uncomfortable (bleach smelling pillowcases and bed sheets would have been preferable); and no bathmats or handrails in the shower to prevent any falls from the wet shower floor tiles. Rest assured that those did not detract from a wonderful, relaxing stay at the Inn. What a treat!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank abelardocox
Quezon City
Reviewed April 2, 2010

Me and my family rented two rooms, I stayed in Ceylon room with my wife, it is cheaper compared to where my family's room, Nantucket is, which is bigger in floor area and located on the upper ground. Ceylon is located on the lower ground where the garden and whirl pool are located.

Service was good, no doubt about it. Staffs are very accommodating and nice to their guests. Discovery Suite has only seven rooms, staffs are limited and carries multiple jobs. Overall they are able to attend to the clients.

Location is good. It is accessible to different hot spots in Tagaytay. The hotel amenities are different from the other hotels. The hotel offers cheese and wine tasting during the afternoon, and some warm milk with cookies at night. They have fruits, and some tea, but there wasn't any water heater in the room. I find it strange, I'm not used to it, and how would i make tea without a heater.

My family had a better room, the room I got isn't as good as I expected. Mainly it lack maintenance. As for cleanliness, I guarantee it's clean. Here are some of my complains:
1. The television needs a new remote, the + and - button for the remote is really hard.
2. We have a remote for a DVD player, and there aren't any player in the room. I don't plan to use it anyway.
3. The closet light is close from being busted and it keeps on flickering
4. The sink takes time before it fully drains.
5. I need to hold the toilet cover when I pee, it keeps falling down.
6. Some wiring in the room are poorly made.
7. It takes time before the shower warms up. I takes more than a couple of minutes before it gets warm, plus there was no indicator where hot water is. If you're not used to it you wouldn't know which side to swing to make it warm or cold.

I did manage to hang around in the other room, Nantucket. The experience would be different, it was way better than the room we had. As for sleeping no problem about it. Bed suits me.

The great thing about this hotel would be the food. Food is great, no question about it. People go to dine here.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Darang
Makati
Reviewed March 21, 2010

We checked-in at Oxford room last year, May 30, 2009, for my Birthday's eve with my partner. After days of browsing through different Bed & Breakfasts in Tagaytay, I personally chose Discovery Country Suites only because of their jacuzzi over-looking taal concept.

As we arrived and parked our car, we felt like a VIPs when their guard (in costume) assisted us and carried our bags, first impression is important to me. I would like to acknowledge the courtesy and friendliness of their Manager as well. While waiting for our room, they served us their welcome drinks that is Extraordinary in taste! Loved it!

Here comes the Oxford room, what can I say? I love the country interior, and of course, their fireplace.... the ambiance is very cozy. Indeed, very spacious- king sized bed, nice day bed and a generous veranda.

However, the bathroom stinks- many insects, their claim that their bathtub is over-looking taal isn't true... their photo in their website I guess is way too edited. I guess, their Oxford room that we paid for 15k is over-priced, I felt that we should have stayed in their cheaper rooms instead because we get the same amenities and compliments.

One thing we loved while staying there is their complimentary wine tasting with cheese and hors d’oeuvres.. it was superb!

We left for dinner and when we went back at 12midnight, the management surprised us for a floral bubble bath with candle lights all over the bathroom, but like what I've said the bathtub stinks, we didn't dip that long.

The next day, we tried the jacuzzi, again like their photo claim on the bathroom, you cannot see the taal from the jacuzzi since there's a huge red roof in front of it. We didn't enjoy the view instead.

If you're looking for an accommodation that you'd like to enjoy the view, this is not definitely the right choice.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank islalicioius
Singapore
Reviewed February 24, 2010

we went there last december 21 - 23.. we booked online but they only had one remaining room, and it was andalucia suite. my sister who followed us the next day booked the biggest room, the oxford suite.

staff were very attentive, we travelled with a toddler (1.5 yo), and when we ordered room service for dinner, our request for the high chair to be put in our room was granted.

everything "free" was fantastic. the welcome drink (fresh juice), the warm milk and cookies, the wine and cheese on the afternoon, the huge fruit platter.. we appreciated them all. some hotels offer the same service (turn down service, welcome drink, etc) but are not as nice. these definitely felt like they were thought out, well planned and meticulously prepared each time.

the room was quite spacious, our room was on the loft level. we didn't have much of a view except for a few trees but that was fine. the oxford suite was HUGE on the other hand, though it feels like a refurbishment is in order.

on the downside, the view from the hotel isn't that great. (unlike the view from the inn at cliffhouse tagaytay, which had the taal volcano front and center from the balcony)

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family